420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread

Now Playing on /mma/tube -

Mike Goldberg leaving UFC by C-Higgy !lfsExjBfzE - Wed, 28 Dec 2016 21:41:39 EST ID:lNzkbbqm No.57612 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1482979299387.jpg -(55369B / 54.07KB, 626x425) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 55369
>The 20-year-run of Mike Goldberg as the lead play-by-play announcer with the UFC will end Friday night with UFC 207.

>A number of outlets reported the news and Dana White confirmed that Friday would be Goldberg's last event with the company. Goldberg leaving had been reported by us weeks ago when White noted that they were negotiating for his replacement publicly. The only name that has been brought up is Jim Rome, and it was Chael Sonnen who claimed that was the name.

>White today said he hoped to reach a deal by July with the new announcer, who would work primarily with Joe Rogan, who WME-IMG wants to keep.

>Goldberg started with UFC in 1997. In 2001, UFC interviewed people regarding replacing him and then decided to stay with him. In 2005, Goldberg was going to be hired by WWE to replace Jim Ross on Raw, but part of the deal was to no-show a live UFC event and start on Raw that same night (UFC and WWE were going head-to-head) and Goldberg ultimately turned down that deal.

>As part of the deal, Goldberg was going to have to change his name because at the time, Vince McMahon hated Bill Goldberg so much he didn't want anyone named Goldberg on Raw.

>Goldberg had been the lead announcer on PPVs and FOX shows. Jon Anik had been used as the lead announcer on most of the other shows, along with John Gooden, who handles most of the European shows.

I figure Goldberg will end up going to Bellator or another combat sports promotion willing to pay him good money.
>>
BJ Penn - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 03:45:14 EST ID:JndLd2XF No.57613 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57612

No goddamn way Bellator or WSOF could pay Goldberg more than UFC. He's moving on up to call NFL games. The question is whether he stays in the family with Fox or goes to CBS. The timing is strange, though. I would be shocked if he calls any NFL Playoff games after not calling any all season. I want to say before the NFL Network struck those deals with CBS and NBC that Goldberg did some NFL Thursday night games in the past and I want to say he was like the Arizona Cardinal's local affiliate station broadcaster for the Cardinals for a season or two during the pre-season.

Also I really doubt Jim Rome gets put in as the lead PBP guy for UFC considering he has no PBP experience. Promoting Anik or Florian to fill Goldberg's spot seems more likely in the short-term. Hilarious wild card pick would be Jim Ross being brought in.
>>
CM Punk (Team Asuka) !uhdacqdci6 - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 06:51:12 EST ID:vrEWpBpo No.57614 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57613
>No goddamn way Bellator or WSOF could pay Goldberg more than UFC
Meltzer is saying Goldberg got fired. If he wants to stick it to UFC, I can see him taking a pay cut just to compete with them (but I don't think he's that kind of person).
>>
Cole Konrad - Thu, 29 Dec 2016 14:19:38 EST ID:xgKkk+Vk No.57615 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Just dear god don't promote that robot Anik, dude is terrible and anticharismatic.
Lord have mercy.

But on the other hand I do not know who to get in there.
>>
C-Higgy !lfsExjBfzE - Fri, 30 Dec 2016 11:42:07 EST ID:lNzkbbqm No.57617 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57613
Given that Viacom owns Bellator, I'm sure they could probably afford him if they dish out the money to get him. Otherwise I think Goldberg will probably just commentate NFL games even after that one bad experience he had.
>>
Jorge Santiago - Fri, 30 Dec 2016 16:13:07 EST ID:4+mrDvFU No.57618 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57612
>Mike Goldberg leaving UFC

ronda rousey's next after amanda "nah fam my dick's like 14 inches long" nunes bodies her shit with an uppercut so vicious that even iron mike tyson himself would giggle and blush.

if i'm wrong then i will angrily masturbate for about 20 seconds to a flattering picture of ronda rousey while imagining her sitting on my face and calling me a bitch.
>>
Cyborg Santos - Fri, 30 Dec 2016 21:10:38 EST ID:JndLd2XF No.57619 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57614

Oh okay, that really changes everything then. Weird how the new ownership fired the proverbial "voice of the UFC". I guess in that case he'll probably just work for Bellator or WSOF for peanuts then if he can't get a job calling NFL games.
>>
C-Higgy !lfsExjBfzE - Sat, 31 Dec 2016 01:15:22 EST ID:lNzkbbqm No.57623 Report Quick Reply
Given the circumstances of Goldberg leaving, I'm not surprised UFC didn't acknowledge this being his last event other than him saying goodbye during the credits. Also this was Joe Silva's last event that he booked so that's two UFC names that are gone from the promotion.
>>
Emelianegro !2iyFNTAIpU - Sat, 31 Dec 2016 01:39:23 EST ID:ajS4+2K4 No.57625 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1483166363406.jpg -(29566B / 28.87KB, 298x507) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Welcome Mikes replacement...
>>
Yves Edwards - Sat, 31 Dec 2016 01:47:54 EST ID:+/Dz2rGt No.57626 Ignore Report Quick Reply
We should get the Dream Commentating Team of Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, Scott Ferrall, and Tito Ortiz .

"
>>
Cyborg Santos - Sat, 31 Dec 2016 02:03:08 EST ID:JndLd2XF No.57627 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57625

Christ, if only. Rogan would likely be better than Goldberg as the PBP guy and El Guapo would be awesome as the color guy.
>>
C-Higgy !lfsExjBfzE - Sat, 31 Dec 2016 03:11:51 EST ID:lNzkbbqm No.57630 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57625
Now that Inside MMA is no longer on the air, Bas would be boss but I doubt it. His Inside MMA co-host Mauro Ranallo would also be great replacement but he's got a multi-year deal with WWE. I heard Max Kellerman's name being thrown around though he's already with ESPN and got a good gig co-hosting First Take. Dunno who else would be a good enough replacement for Mike.
>>
Duane Ludwig - Sat, 31 Dec 2016 19:19:24 EST ID:lTdma492 No.57636 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57614
I believe he was only fired because he wanted too much money. The same deal with Rogan, after the new owners took over he said fuck you I'm only doing regional vegas broadcasts for PPV and nothing else as in the past they had both those guys doing a ton of free promotion, such as Rogan's lamenting on his radio show of never wanting to phone Lorenzo or Dana because they would ask him to come do some silly media junket for no money.

tl;dr UFC too cheap to afford Goldberg and Rogan, would highly doubt Jim Rome gets parachuted in unless he agreed to do it for cost just to pump his radio show
>>
C-Higgy !lfsExjBfzE - Tue, 03 Jan 2017 22:03:52 EST ID:lNzkbbqm No.57639 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Todd Grisham is UFC's new play-by-play commentator but not replacing Goldberg - https://www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2017/1/3/14160086/ufc-adds-espn-wwe-vet-todd-grisham-to-broadcast-team
>>
Gabriel Gonzaga - Wed, 04 Jan 2017 15:08:29 EST ID:JndLd2XF No.57640 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57639

...huh, okay I guess. Had no idea his ESPN contract was up. He always had an awkward and reserved angry mood whenever I saw him on Sportscenter last year, guess he was fed up about something there (lack of an established SC slot, maybe?)/

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.