Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Headset Giveaway!

G933 Giveaway     Discussion Thread

Now Playing on /mma/tube -

Suggestions for someone with a fused spine by Harold Howard - Mon, 15 Jan 2018 11:20:57 EST ID:4x3SXUKM No.57981 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1516033257438.jpg -(48178B / 47.05KB, 900x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 48178
I know you get asked for recommendations a lot but my knowledge of martial arts is limited and I have a bit of an unusual problem. I have a disease that's fused/fusing my vertebrae, the bottom 1/4 of my spine is already fused to my pelvis.

How do I get power into strikes without having to use my spine? The only training I've had is boxing and that was as a kid. Are there any striking disciplines out there that would work well for me given my issues? And as far as learning to escape joint locks, is BJJ the best for that kind of thing?
>>
Cole Konrad - Tue, 16 Jan 2018 03:55:21 EST ID:LmmWTz10 No.57982 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You shouldn't be using your spine anyway, your hips should stay in line with your shoulders, your torso turns as one unit when you pivot from the balls of your feet to throw a punch. Think of a barrel hanging from a rope, spinning with a plank nailed to it.
BJJ is pretty uber for escaping locks. The only thing I'd compare it to is Judo.

I'd investigate Alexander Technique or Feldenkrais Method, generally, to compensate for your condition. Spinal issues like scoliosis and lordosis are their jam.
>>
Donald Cerrone - Tue, 16 Jan 2018 13:29:32 EST ID:4x3SXUKM No.57983 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57982
Thank you for explaining that I need to get the fuck to a gym because whatever I knew is obviously gone.

>I'd investigate Alexander Technique or Feldenkrais Method
Never heard of either of those but they both sound interesting. I have ankylosing spondylitis and I haven't been exercising my back the way I'm supposed to so I should be doing something like feldenkrais anyways.
>>
A_Wizard !cMZsY.BCnU!!vVWR8L52 - Mon, 16 Apr 2018 14:59:26 EST ID:ZAtknOX9 No.58024 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57983
Consider supplementing GHK-cu. It's naturally in the body and should help with the inflammation in your condition.
>kung fu
As a Wizard, I'm just going to suggest you learn gun-fu instead, all things considered.
>>
Duane Ludwig - Sat, 12 May 2018 07:07:52 EST ID:xfsaelmX No.58037 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57982
No no no, the force has to cascade from your heel to the surface of your fist through every available muscle and joint in one fluid motion. Like cracking a whip, where your feet are the handle, and your hand is the tip. Whichever direction your body is oriented in is only a trifling matter of gravity. Ideally, you should probably be pointed towards your opponent as much as gravity allows.

OP, I would advise against martial arts and maybe take up firearms and get a concealed carry permit. Don't just try to work around your injury and think you'll be okay, you won't. You'll get wrecked.
>>
Jorge Masvidal - Mon, 25 Jun 2018 05:59:12 EST ID:b4lzIJS8 No.58047 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>58037
That's the biomechanics behind a power lead, like Bruce Lee and Jack Dempsey. And even then your heel should be off the ground, you can't pivot flat-footed and will put your back out, like OP is trying to avoid.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.