420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Catalonian Independence by Martha Semmerford - Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:42:41 EST ID:+5q0zMgm No.162379 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1507765361879.png -(25643B / 25.04KB, 2000x1333) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 25643
https://www.yahoo.com/news/high-security-ahead-key-catalan-parliamentary-address-071745624.html

After trying for years to get an official referendum on independence from Spain, the Catalan province called their own referendum not sanctioned by Spain. Spain came down with an iron fist by closing polling locations, intimidating would be voters, and with brutality by riot police.
The referendum results were that the people of Catalan wanted to leave Spain, though there wasn't a huge turnout (whether that's because of intimidation by Spain or the people being unsure isn't known).
Today the president of Catalan put the official declaration of Independence on pause in order to give the Spanish government a chance to negotiate, to avoid tensions and a probable massive fisting from Spain.

What do you guys think will happen in the coming weeks? If Catalan does declare independence what do you think Spain's response will be?
>>
dr. m !gWLn19/oKs - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 19:01:04 EST ID:xSHBzFB3 No.163243 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>162433

>as if the Russians aren't supporting this movement online

c'mon man, really?

They are totally involved in this stuff. It's the same as the Brexit.
>>
Simon Pickhood - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 19:38:42 EST ID:CgCM1jv+ No.163244 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1510187922968.jpg -(410048B / 400.44KB, 2815x2868) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>163243
Is it?
It wouldn't surprise me if they did, but this would be the only non-rightwing separatist movement they've supported.
If they were, I'd expect to see more support for other non-rightwing separatist movements, such as Kurdistan, North Ireland, Scotland, and those Eskimos in norway/sweden.

Shit, they're even bombing the Kurds even though a free Kurdistan would be a problem for Iraq and Turkey, therefore NATO.
>>
dr. m !gWLn19/oKs - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 20:34:40 EST ID:xSHBzFB3 No.163250 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>163244

It destabilizes the region and weakens the EU/Europe as a whole.

Why on earth wouldn't they support it?

It goes way beyond ideology, though that aspect definitely merits more discussion.
>>
Fucking Bardstone - Thu, 09 Nov 2017 00:00:46 EST ID:w4G8ki2H No.163257 Ignore Report Quick Reply
One part of me agrees that they should be given independence although the other part of me doesn't. I look at it as if I was in Spains shoes, for example what if a big state wanted to break off against our will? We wouldn't allow it, we would claim it was illegal, and we would do everything in our power to stop it. So with that in mind it's hard to blame Spain's reaction and methods when in reality any country would do the same if faced with secession.
>>
Simon Pickhood - Thu, 09 Nov 2017 00:43:53 EST ID:CgCM1jv+ No.163259 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1510206233968.png -(105568B / 103.09KB, 1049x1006) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>163250
A reason it would be in their interest to do so is not proof they are doing so.

Large organizations are ponderous things full of individuals several degrees removed from the purpose of their actions, often working at cross purposes.

It takes work to integrate Russian propaganda outlets into a country's political discourse, they haven't spent as much time connecting to Spanish-speaking leftist news networks as they have to English-speaking right-wing networks.

It's quite possible they have tried, would like to but don't have the means to support Catalonian independence, or have a different analysis (a threatening independence movement in Catalonia decreases the likelihood of EU support of Scotland/NI's independence, which would be far more detrimental to a larger rival of Russia's) and see Catalonian independence as undesirable or not worth the resources to support.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.