420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
eating cheap by Alain Ducasse - Tue, 03 Oct 2017 12:18:05 EST ID:2fRzaTfk No.153340 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1507047485909.jpg -(32368B / 31.61KB, 640x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 32368
Hello there, I wasted all of my money on drugs and online dating in a benzo induced manic phase and now I need to stay alive with like 5 bucks/day.

What are some good, affordable, easy to make meals I could cook?

I also suck at cooking, had some firefighters and the police in my apartment 2 nights ago, cause I fell asleep while cooking soup.
>>
Jean-Baptiste Troisgros - Tue, 03 Oct 2017 12:53:22 EST ID:7OiX9XUF No.153341 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153340
Hot dogs, pb&j, fruit like bananas, ramen, froze burritos, make a big pot of spaghetti/chilli and get a few meals out of it
>>
Heston Blumenthal - Tue, 03 Oct 2017 13:11:21 EST ID:pzMkQxwf No.153343 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153340
Normally I wouldn't advocate microwaves or quitting drugs. But if you're burning good food you've gone too far. Microwaving lets you set the timer so once it's done it's done. Won't burn.
>>
Jamie Oliver - Tue, 03 Oct 2017 16:53:56 EST ID:lbCnlSnC No.153345 Ignore Report Quick Reply
What kind of drugs do you take other than benzos? Might be helpful in what you'd like to eat. Not that you have much choice with 5 euro a day.
>>
[name redacted] !6fGmhrVKuE - Tue, 03 Oct 2017 19:45:46 EST ID:5LthulwQ No.153349 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Rice and lentils, although maybe cook a batch then take the drugs, then all you have to do is take it out of the fridge and microwave it which shouldn't be too hard.

Lentils is like $2 for 500g in Australia and rice is about the same price, and that would last 3-4 days depending on how much you eat, so you can spend the leftover few dollars on some spices to make it nice. I like garlic, paprika and cumin.
>>
Anthony Bourdain - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 11:17:04 EST ID:2fRzaTfk No.153353 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Thanks for the replies! I see that I need to get a bigger pot so I can cook massive amounts of food and microwave it later.
Shit like chili/spaghetti and that rice & lentils stuff sound great! Pb&j should be good at work.
I think I need to make some kind of list on what to make through out the week, so I don't buy fast food on the way home and order pizza later.

>>153345
I'm not even taking benzos anymore since like two weeks, but well I was pretty drunk that night and take 300mg Pregabalin daily.
I remember throwing some frozen veggies in my instant soup and one moment later the smoke detector woke me up, there was smoke everywhere and the police slammed on my door. Shit sucks.
I also take opiates pretty regulary and smoke weed, but dunno if that says something about my taste. I need like 2 meals a day, when I don't get the munchies.
>>
Michel Roux - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 16:16:31 EST ID:KZI5j+7B No.153355 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153349
Thanks for the description. Now, I have a mental issue of probably good food. But who knows, considering your bad track.
>>
Pierre Wynants - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 16:32:48 EST ID:MGEsE2gh No.153356 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153353
2 meals a day.. are you a breakfast kind of guy? Pregabalin is a painkiller right? Then you'd want to eat softer foods for your stomach, and plenty of dairy to get that lining.

For me when I lived on my own I ate porridge in the morning with tinned peaches (I put the peach in the porridge after I cooked it). Tinned peach costs about 1 euro here, but I didn't use all of it, only 1/3. The porridge + milk was barely a factor so breakfast there and then costs a total of 50c if even.

Dinner was Ramen. Not instant kind, but the kind you can pick up at the china shop, good ramen but not expensive. It's extremely versatile, just make a broth to go with it, and shred (or cut finely if you lack a shredder) your a choice of vegs. The broth can be anything from chicken, soy, hot n sour, veg, beef, teriyaki, thai green coriander, just google how and you can make it yourself. Keep it simple.
Put them in a tubaware (all of it) and just add piping hot water when you feel like it and chuck em in the microwave.
If you need a bit of protein add an egg on top. That alone will cost you about 2 bucks a meal.

Avoid meat. Eat eggs if you need protein. Duck eggs are great and cheap because they're not popular. Cottage cheese is one of the cheapest and highest forms of protein you can eat, although it's not really great to eat.

Eat bananas for fruit. All other fruit is not as filling.

5 euro a day is tough, but you can definitely do it. If you want any more ideas give me a yell.
>>
Pierre Wynants - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 16:36:55 EST ID:MGEsE2gh No.153357 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507149415934.gif -(22475B / 21.95KB, 200x199) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>153356
Oh shit forgot to add; eat plenty of nuts and seeds. Gotta get that healthy fats. nb for db
>>
Jean-Baptiste Troisgros - Thu, 05 Oct 2017 00:37:38 EST ID:bIWRjtwz No.153361 Ignore Report Quick Reply
https://www.leannebrown.com/cookbooks/
>>
Thomas Edwards - Thu, 05 Oct 2017 00:50:52 EST ID:4KmmhmSM No.153362 Ignore Report Quick Reply
eggs and potatoes! both are cheap and cookable in any number of amazing ways and have enough nutrition to keep you from dieing for a long time.
>>
James MacInnis - Thu, 05 Oct 2017 09:15:23 EST ID:2fRzaTfk No.153365 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Many thanks guys! You really are helping me a lot here. Feeling kinda pumped even.

>>153356
I eat my first meal at work most of the time, where I used to buy expensive shit at the bakery, but today I had oats with apple and cinnamon which was very tasty and kept me filled until now.
Never thought of making Ramen myself lol but there are lot's of chinese shops here, so I'll give it a try. Never even seen duck eggs, though.
Bananas, Nuts and seeds - noted

>>153361
Food looks kinda fancy but the "tips for eating and shopping well" alone are great.

>>153362
Noted and understood, thanks!
>>
Aida Mollenkamp - Thu, 05 Oct 2017 12:59:08 EST ID:pzMkQxwf No.153367 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153365
You can still get eggs cheap, regardless. Also if you want to actually be healthy, you can't go nuts on fruit, but you can probably get a bag of cheap apples for a euro or two and that'll be a couple of apples a day for 3 days. If you want to be healthy, maybe get a bag of cheap frozen veg and briefly boil up (so it's warm) a serving a day with a minimal amount of water (which you don't tip away) for fibre and vitamins. It won't taste amazing but if you've got oats, egg, a little milk, egg, seeds and fruit coming in then you'll actually be eating pretty well.

Don't be afraid to look at costs. Ramen is an option because it comes with flavour but you can also just a cook any pasta or rice with some stock (get some stock cubes) (or shove the veg in that) you can also get a bag of onions which will last a week (more vitamin C and fibre too) for very little. Rice with onion some frozen veg, stock, if you have any other herbs and spices laying around and served with an egg (or two).. or hell maybe even go full egg fried rice. Will be satisfying and healthy.

I would suggesting not budgeting per day but per major shopping trip. Plan over the course of a couple of weeks so you can include some variety. 5 bucks a day isn't a lot but unless you're looking for super lean protein to lift on during a cut, and if you aren't harbouring an addiction to shit food you can eat very well (or healthily) off it.
>>
Mario Batali - Fri, 06 Oct 2017 05:23:51 EST ID:V8Xc2Ryu No.153382 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153340
>benzo induced manic phase
Benzed up and manic at the same time? How th?
>>
Georges Blanc - Sat, 07 Oct 2017 02:05:23 EST ID:FgJS7rj6 No.153394 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507356323648.jpg -(147134B / 143.69KB, 498x700) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
rice and lentils, gives you carbs and all your amino acids, cheap as fuck but you're going to have to stay awake for at least 30mins. Suck someones dick for a rice maker maybe as well the shit will change your life. You can just put shit in it and press start and it cooks it for you in a stoner proof way. Layer that with some kind of protein you need some damn protein. Ground pork is high in fat and unhealthy as fuck but you can get it for like $2, rice lentils and ground pork (some egg too if you really want to treat yourself) is one of the best dishes I've ever had, makes an amazing breakfast.
>>
Georges Blanc - Sat, 07 Oct 2017 02:08:46 EST ID:FgJS7rj6 No.153395 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153367
bananas and oranges for some vitamins as well. Maybe some kale or other kind of green as well. Go for a variety of color, you can find the above for $1 or less most times
>>
Rose Gray - Sat, 07 Oct 2017 15:21:47 EST ID:pzMkQxwf No.153397 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153395
Apples are probably the best fruit for vitamins and minerals but bananas are cheap and oranges are a nice change and if you're eating veg, rice and beans (dried beans are also cheap and a good option) well, lets just say prepare to experience the perfect 4.
>>
Michel Roux - Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:45:54 EST ID:yXQ3Wlmo No.153416 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507671954495.jpg -(596297B / 582.32KB, 4300x2800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>153340
Beans beans,
the magical fruit The more you eat, the more you toot The more you toot, the better you feel So lets have beans for every meals.
uughghh
>>
Toshiro Kandagawa - Wed, 11 Oct 2017 18:55:58 EST ID:SVUbsjvV No.153429 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507762558940.jpg -(71627B / 69.95KB, 634x758) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>153367
gotta tack on that making your own stocks ridiculously easy, next time you roast a chicken or hell have anything with bones in it, throw the scraps in a freezer bag and lobe it in the freezer, add veggie trimmings as you go. when you figure youve got enough stuff chuck it in a big pot, add some water set on low and go get high. add some water and giver a stir every now and then, strain and bobs your uncle.

makes for a super good soup base, or you can use it for a multitude of other dishes.

oh, and i gotta add when you boiling it, it looks like shit but it tastes like win
>>
Ettore Boiardi - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 01:10:54 EST ID:HgQgX5c4 No.153430 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Also, how much money could you spend on online dating?
>>
Paul Bocuse - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 05:52:52 EST ID:Oy1Kj9f1 No.153431 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1507801972380.png -(895825B / 874.83KB, 768x540) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>153340
DRIED GOODS LIKE LENTILS AND BEANS + RICE IS THE CHEAPEST
SET A TIMER, FFS

I WAS SUPPOSED TO GET SUPPLIES TODAY BUT JUST GOT WHIPPED CREAM AND CHIMICHANGAS
>>
Elijah Joy - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 06:55:04 EST ID:KKLd6DUZ No.153435 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153416
beans beans
they're good for your heart
the more you eat
the more you fart
  • Bukowski
>>
Martín Berasategui - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:00:33 EST ID:ARKwylMy No.153437 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Five dollars a day is easy. Beans, eggs, vegetables, pasta noodles.

$1 box of vegetable noodles at my local grocery store has 7 servings. Beans are full of calories and protein. Eggs are you top notch protein and add some good flavor. Vegetables, cheap as fuck, tasty, extremely good for you. 1lb of fresh green beans where I live is $1.99.
>>
François Massialot - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 04:27:40 EST ID:YE5l9EDB No.153465 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153340
is that clairo
>>
Adolphe Gérard - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 20:33:53 EST ID:/8qmBpD1 No.153473 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153435

beans beans the magical fruit,
the more you eat the more you toot
>>
Frédy Girardet - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 13:09:18 EST ID:u7Pl2GzA No.153619 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153340
Rule 0 of cooking: either you stay in the kitchen constantly, or you set an alarm.
Rule 1 of cooking: make sure you're sober enough to cook safely.
Rule 2 of cooking: if you are tired, don't bother cooking.... who said you need a warm meal every day? Make a sandwich, a salad or just eat a bowl of rusks with milk

When I lived alone on the meagre budget of an after-school job, I had around $15 a WEEK for food, and I live in one of the most expensive and overtaxed countries in the world. If you're 'murrican, I can pretty much guarantee that you can get three healthy meals a day, WITH MEAT on the side provided you put your head to it.
Even with a comparatively meagre pay, I was able to afford new computer hardware for my studies, clothes, bills and rent by taking a good look at my food intake.

When you are low on the monies, you need to focus on having the meal work for your body for a long time, the more, the better. Your second objective is to stay full.

Your third objective is to plan ahead, as it maximizes the outcome of the food

------------------------

First off, stay away from pasta and noodles, especially instant ramen noodles. Pasta and noodles fill you up, but you won't stay full for long.

That leaves rice and potatoes as your stock food.

Potatoes can be kept fresh for up to 2-3 months, provided they are stored in a dark, cool place (eg. your fridge)... just don't eat them if they've turned green or started sprouting.

rice can be kept almost indefinitely if stored properly (dark, airtight container)

If you buy minced meat, open the package and split it into proper portions. Bag and freeze the portions you don't need. The same can be done for whole meat like chops or cutlets, just freeze what you won't eat today.

Bread is also cheap, but go for "rougher" bread with grains in it, as it's more filling, steer clear of white bread.

Also, buy eggs. They keep for about 2 weeks (if ,again, stored properly). Not only will they give you a good deal of protein, but it's a good helper for bulking up rice-based food as well.

Whole, smoked bacon (not strips) also lasts a long time, is quite cheap also... you only have to slice it yourself...

lastly, you have to learn never to throw away food, unless you run the risk of getting sick from it the next day...

-----------------------------

you at least got eggs, bacon and toast now, enough to easily last a week of breakfasts. You should be able to afford that for about half a day's pay ($2.50-3.00)

Lunches: this one is harder, as you have a different "lunch culture" than we do... a daily BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato) is definitely within your grasp. Consider using other leftovers for lunch, for instance cooked chicken... that day's BLT just leveled up to a club sandwich.

Dinner: Main content is going to be your rice or your potatoes. Again, you have the options of using leftovers like in "biksemad" (lit. mixed food), with is a Danish dish simply composed of potatoes and leftover meat which is fried and served with a fried egg and ketchup (optional: Worchestershire sauce).
Asian "fried rice" recipes are also filling and tasty, easy to make and relatively cheap... My version just has chicken, shrimp, eggs, chopped spring onions, a teeny dash of soy sauce, salt and pepper in it
Soup, even if you messed that up, can be made from boullion/stock powder and assorted vegetables and boiled for 30 minutes...
As I mentioned above, salads can be good, but the ingredients spoil easily and are almost never sold in packages that scale well for single living. However, it's often cheaper than to buy most other foods (even if some of it spoils), and veggies are often on sale in the supermarkets. Depending on your country, the vegetables may be especially cheap if they are exempted from VAT or other taxes.

Last tip I can give you, is to look out for supermarkets that have a budget bin with stuff that's nearly out of date... lots and lots of bargains can be made here!

inb4 "but i'm maaaaannnnniiiiiic"
yeah, part of doing drugs is keeping your shit together, and benzos don't exactly help on that... get off that shit OP, you're just experiencing the tip of the benzo-induced insanity iceberg...
>>
Rick Moonen - Wed, 08 Nov 2017 13:59:32 EST ID:ySZyiBJO No.153621 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153619
>Bread is also cheap, but go for "rougher" bread with grains in it, as it's more filling, steer clear of white bread.

Why wouldn't you just buy whole meal in bulk and yeast? It's cheaper over the long run.
>>
Michel Bras - Thu, 09 Nov 2017 12:51:29 EST ID:AbJGbxJ4 No.153629 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153621
you're joking right?
$2 for a loaf pod bread that will last a week or more is not some fat you need to trim off your budget.
>>
Louis Eustache Ude - Fri, 10 Nov 2017 05:57:13 EST ID:Cd8Qw708 No.153631 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153619
Bacon is really shit though. I mean it's delicious but it's awful for you. Lets help OP escape the trap of being poor being unhealthy. Bread is okay, but honestly it is a bit expensive for what you get and it's mostly empty carbs. Still if OP is making a sandwich for lunch it might be good. I'd say for breakfast go with oatmeal. Milk and oats will be cheap (don't by some microwave mix, just buy loose oats) a little sugar (and maybe cinnamon or dried raisins for flavour, that's the bomb and a pack of each will last weeks) will be cheap and tasty and full of fibre, protein and energy.

I agree with most of the rest of your post.

Eggs alone are a good rounded protein, if you're broke meat on the whole isn't a great idea. I would also say try to get some vegetables in but I already posted all that. Vegetarian is probably the best compromise between cheap and easy. Meat eating is a bit more expensive but with vegetarian if you've got eggs you are getting at least some semblance of amino balance. I mean vegans have soy beans but not everyone wants to push their oestrogen levels up.

I want to especially draw attention to what you said about planning because, yes so much that. Planning ahead is key. If you want to buy meat then it's often actually affordable in a lean budget if you buy a massive amount in bulk and make it last all week. You don't need to stay full but you should be trying to clear 2000 calories every day unless you're also trying to lose weight and probably more like 2500 if you don't just sit around all day.
>>
Pierre Wynants - Fri, 10 Nov 2017 21:08:40 EST ID:chjONHZj No.153632 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153340
you set soup on fire???

You should just google, "how not to die instead"
>>
Pierre Wynants - Fri, 10 Nov 2017 21:21:48 EST ID:chjONHZj No.153633 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>153340
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvKQNLdMr48&index=2&list=PLbS0HkS8Xsorrdr3pPk4lP80tUAzfyxP1
>>
Beau MacMillian - Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:51:44 EST ID:xojnW7pZ No.153653 Ignore Report Quick Reply
rice, beans, potatoes, onions, stuff like that
buy pepper buy salt buy oil
and just go, ez
occasional carrot, lettuce, whatever the fuck

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.