Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Kitchen staples by Curtis Stone - Sun, 30 Dec 2018 22:01:03 EST ID:hyjYF57m No.157730 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1546225263194.jpg -(142749B / 139.40KB, 545x1600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 142749
I grew up poor af and so preparing foods and then eating it has always been a foreign concept to me. But now I have the ability to cook my own meals, and clean my own kitchen, and suck my own dick, and I want to learn how to make myself a healthy, consistent diet. Everything I make tastes bland and my kitchen is lacking food in general. What are some of your kitchen staples to make a healthy and tasty diet?

This is what I've got so far:
>FOOD
>rice
>chicken
>bananas
>apples
>oranges
>almond milk, because I'm an organic feggit
>whole grain cereal
>whole grain milk
>peanuts
>peanut butter
>crackers
>canned tuna
>onions
>baby carrots
>whole grain waffles
>flavored yogurt

>SEASONINGS AND CONDIMENTS
>salt
>garlic powder
>onion powder
>mayonnaise
>butter
>syrup
>some kind of green sauce the Mexican store sells
>some kind of red sauce the Korean store sells

>RANDOM BULLSHIT
>tea
>sugar
>instant ramen

I got a rice cooker, some pans and pots, a toaster, and a bunch of sealable glass bowls. I eat a good breakfast everyday, and I cook dinner often, but other than that I eat out a lot. What do?
>>
Raymond Oliver - Mon, 31 Dec 2018 02:25:10 EST ID:5CN/WnZR No.157731 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Find you a veggie you like, and then fucking always have it around. I am partial to bell peppers and fresh green beans. I'm not into broccoli or kale or any of that shit.

lrn2sauce. Seriously, sauces and spices are a game changer. Find a spice market and huff everything until you smell something you like, then buy it. (I have Penzey's spices near me, idk what you have) Go to the condiment aisle and get whatever sounds interesting. In my fridge I have two kinds of regular ranch, one spicy ranch, one "garlic and peppercorn" oil-based dressing, five hot sauces, and I want more. I have an entire kitchen drawer dedicated to spices and tea. I'm still working on making sauces myself but shit in a bottle will do.

SLOW COOKER. Throw a pile of chopped onions in there with some butter and salt, let that go on low heat for idk overnight or whatever. Add veggie broth or beef broth or whatever the fuck, let it go for another few hours. French onion soup.

Curry paste and coconut milk. Whatever fucking curry paste you want. Right now I have a thai red curry paste because that's easy for me to find around here. Curry pastes make it so fucking easy it's basically cheating. Helps to have a wok but it's not necessary, just a good size frying pan will do.
>>
Pierre Gagnaire - Mon, 31 Dec 2018 03:59:31 EST ID:+mLeZe8f No.157732 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Most of the variation in flavor comes from aromatics, spices and herbs. Learn how to use them. Alton Brown does a good job of teaching how to cook.
>>
Gaston Acurio - Mon, 31 Dec 2018 05:50:57 EST ID:It3C0mHQ No.157735 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Learn to wok.

It's really easy, really fast, easy to make something tasty, easy to vary with.

Make sure you get something like peanut oil or some other oil that's suitable for high temperatures though.

A "complete" wok dish has a couple of staples you can easily switch out:
>meat
>sauce/seasoning
>veggies
>noodles/rice

Prep time is about 5 minutes or less, actual cooking is around 5 too. You can add as much fancy stuff as you'd like, such as cooking up some chopped onion before throwing in the meat.
>>
Franz Quixtner - Mon, 31 Dec 2018 16:33:30 EST ID:dvdeUIz5 No.157741 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1546292010918.jpg -(1581046B / 1.51MB, 4032x3024) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
  • potatoes last fucking forever
    • wild rice and red camague are pretty damn nutritive, as well as versatile, easy and tasty. hell look into freekeh as well
    • keep seeds, toast them in a pan and top meals with them. bit of omega, fiber, extra calories. also taste and texture. great with roast squash.
    • keep some big jars of passata (fine tomato sauce) in a cupboard, great for lots of saucy tomato style dishes with stews/sauces/ragu/bolognese

spices are a great thing to have but a pinch pot of flakey sea salt and a peppercorn mill trump all. while we're on the subject of additions that make stuff delcious..keep olive oil (for cooking and for finishing, not philipo berrio, please), tinned anchovies to mince fine and add early to basically any tomato sauce base, and a big ol block of parmigiano reggiano

mostly id stress the (real) rice, seeds, and some good quality ziplock freezer bags (and a sharpie) so you can cook in batches rather than for single meals. Things are always cheaper in the long term when you supersize

speaking of long term, invest in a little potted Bay plant, or Rosemary. they require very little looking after, make your place look nicer, and let you partake of their beautiful cooking utility.

dried lentils too but dont go nuts. youll get so sick of that shit. Tinned chickpeas are a great thing to have and the water they come in is so versatile.

sticky buns.
>>
Chuck Hughes - Mon, 31 Dec 2018 18:59:39 EST ID:8jhkEV17 No.157742 Ignore Report Quick Reply
bro look into pastas they are definitely a lazyman's food. you just cook meat/veggie, boil noodle, strain water, add it all together with a sauce or something. really easy and good. some easy starters are fettucini, spaghetti, penne. you can do cream based or tomato based sauces and branch from there, good luck. i myself have been on a slow cooker journey
>>
Marc Forgione - Thu, 10 Jan 2019 22:19:12 EST ID:uPM8ltpV No.157819 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>157730
>chicken
Chicken LEGS are really hard to fuck up, because unlike most of the other parts of the chicken, it doesn't dry out easily. So throw on whatever seasoning you want, stick it in the oven, wait a while and take it out. maybe finish it in the broiler for some crisp.

Some stuff you missed:
>EGGSS ARE KING
>Vinegar (white vinegar is a good cleaning product, too)
>worcestershire sauce (fucking trust me. This shit is sooooo worth it).
>soy sauce
>garlic (I suggest getting a jar of minced garlic. It's convenient as fuck)
>spaghetti and/or shells
>honey

Hot sauce is good to have on hand. If you're not a fan, it's still cool to have around for guests.
>>
Marc Forgione - Thu, 10 Jan 2019 22:23:31 EST ID:uPM8ltpV No.157820 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Also:
>olive oil (for sauteeing, and for dressings, sauces, etc.)
>vegetable oil (for frying, stir-frying, baking, etc.)

A good kitchen skill is knowing when to use olive oil, veg oil, or butter.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.