420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

penis pump

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Passing a background check by Augustus Murdwell - Thu, 12 Mar 2015 21:17:24 EST ID:6s8gLksk No.40285 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1426209444681.jpg -(160435B / 156.67KB, 500x333) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 160435
If you have been in a mental institution for depression/suicidal thoughts are you stripped your right to bear arms?I only have a weed and underage alcohol charge.
>>
Caroline Greenstone - Thu, 12 Mar 2015 22:01:26 EST ID:SjIp9rvd No.40286 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Yes. Being held in a mental institution, voluntarily or involuntarily, will cause your background check to fail.

Only remedy is to hire a lawyer and get the record expunged.
>>
Sophie Brookville - Thu, 12 Mar 2015 23:08:26 EST ID:DFaUub85 No.40288 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Depending on what state you're in you can still own a gun. You just can't purchase one from anywhere that does a backround check. If a family member or private party sells you one you can still own it. Maybe it's not legal, I'm not sure, but if you get pulled over with a rifle in the back and it doesn't look suspicious or like you're up to trouble a cop isn't going to run a backround check on you. He'd just do the ole' standard checking for warrants shit.
>>
Archie Nickleshit - Fri, 13 Mar 2015 02:18:58 EST ID:ziErSmLS No.40289 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1426227538432.png -(303074B / 295.97KB, 492x540) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>40286

In some states you dont need a permit to purchase or carry openly.
In some states its easy for a conpletely and obviously derranged psycho to buy a gun.
>>
Archie Brookshit - Fri, 13 Mar 2015 10:07:03 EST ID:QPpPlnUx No.40294 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>40289

Regardless of state you still gotta pass BATFE form 4473, specifically question 11-f:

>Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective [...] OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

The only way out of this is through a valid exception (NICS Improvement amendments act):

>(a) the person’s adjudication or commitment for mental incompetency was set-aside or expunged by the adjudicating/committing agency;
>(b) the person has been fully released or discharged from all mandatory treatment, supervision, or monitoring by the agency; or
>(c) the person was found by the agency to no longer suffer from the mental health condition that served as the basis of the initial adjudication.

A and B takes a lawyer to do correctly, C needs a lawyer and a doctor.

This is all at the federal level so it doesn't matter what state you try to buy in.
>>
Augustus Murdwell - Fri, 13 Mar 2015 11:10:30 EST ID:6s8gLksk No.40295 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1426259430681.png -(561062B / 547.91KB, 900x540) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>40294
Much appreciated, this sucks because I know that I'm a responsible gun owner who has been using them since childhood. Suicidal is not the same as homicidal and I think most people have experienced depression in their lives. I need protection in the high crime area I'm about to be living in.
>>
Basil Broffingpat - Sat, 14 Mar 2015 23:49:03 EST ID:qi8DYELU No.40297 Ignore Report Quick Reply
In massachusetts the database that is referenced to check if you've been institutionalized has 1 name on it, and its a test name.
>>
David Dartson - Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:23:21 EST ID:ap/h7Ffa No.40313 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>40295
Just get a sane relative to buy the gun, then sell it to you in a person to person sale without needing to inform the Feds at all.
>>
Betsy Chodgedat - Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:25:31 EST ID:QPpPlnUx No.40314 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>40313

That's a straw purchase nigga. If you knowingly buy a gun with the intent to sell it to an unqualified individual then that's a pretty serious felony dawg. You go to federal get-shanked-and-pounded-in-the-ass-in-the-shower prison for doing that shit. Not recommended at all.
>>
Emma Panningbury - Mon, 16 Mar 2015 21:24:26 EST ID:o52tRI20 No.40318 Ignore Report Quick Reply
So does this shit stick with you for life? Because I went to a mental ward when I was 14 for being an attention whore and would love to get some guns sometime in my life.
>>
Polly Dillyhall - Tue, 17 Mar 2015 08:54:20 EST ID:QPpPlnUx No.40322 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>40318

You can get the record expunged since you were a minor. But again, you need a lawyer, nigga.
>>
Sidney Blatherwill - Tue, 17 Mar 2015 12:52:33 EST ID:P9ddhs4G No.40324 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>40297

lmao, sources please that is too rich.
>>
Albert Fuckingridge - Fri, 20 Mar 2015 19:35:09 EST ID:P9ddhs4G No.40351 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>40285

A lawyer can fix that.
>>
Nell Pockcocke - Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:49:39 EST ID:w/LEc26l No.40362 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>40285
I've been in a mental health institution, self admitted, for the same thing. Since then, I have legally obtained a permit to purchase, and I own two handguns. So I think everyone in this thread is full of shit.
>>
Whitey Drigglehuck - Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:05:50 EST ID:8EZofzFr No.40442 Ignore Report Quick Reply
So what did you do to get put in an institution? If you don't mind me asking.
>>
Archie Hammlehood - Wed, 08 Apr 2015 06:20:13 EST ID:kYTRbBhb No.40474 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>40285
keyword on the mental health question is "adjudicated". barring you living in a shit state, a judge has to court order you into a mental hospital in order for it to matter per NICS.
I've been in mental hospitals before...even involuntarily. I have 2 guns purchased through an FFL and an armed security license for my state. no adjudication = not mental per NICS.

your big problem could be your weed and alcohol charges. down the list of NICS questions, one involves being an illicit drug user or alcoholic. you have a documented drug and alcohol issue...thats an issue.
>>
wendy - Sat, 11 Apr 2015 09:54:59 EST ID:YxCVcLtm No.40475 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1428760499697.jpg -(95791B / 93.55KB, 800x534) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>40474
*THE FOLLOWING IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE; NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE CONSTRUED AS SUCH. IT IS MERELY THE BULLSHIT RAMBLINGS OF A BEAUTIFUL YOUNG BURGER FRANCHISE HEIRESS .*

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

see section A of a current form 4473 (sample above^).
under section A, see question 11.f
=================================
11.f
" Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective
(which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful
authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs)
OR
have you ever been
committed to a mental institution? "
(See Instructions for Question 11.f.)
==============================================

>>40474
the specific "keywords" and legal terminology are indeed very important, but true involuntary committment isn't on with much waffle room. involuntary 72 observational holds not resulting in further action by the authorities fore-mentioned in question 11.f,
as well as any voluntary commitments similarly resolved; are both dissimilar to being involuntarily "committed" by said authorities. if you were truly " involuntarily committed",
you are probably under federal firearm disability and unable to legally own a firearm. not all states have filed their required listings to the nics , which may be why you were approved on your form 4473.
or maybe there's more to the story.. either way, i'd get it looked into if i were you. better safe than sorry
>>
Fuck Ganderdale - Mon, 13 Apr 2015 22:00:48 EST ID:QBzO9uHg No.40477 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Why is it so hard for you people to answer OP's simple question?

If you were involuntarily committed you can not own firearms (unless you get a lawyer to expunge it I guess). If you voluntarily went you can own a firearm.
>>
Matilda Blytheshaw - Tue, 08 Nov 2016 12:28:26 EST ID:vy7oPM+f No.42868 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>40474
Wait so if you've been to treatment for alcoholism, does that cause a background fail?
>>
Nathaniel Smallhood - Sat, 28 Jan 2017 16:12:29 EST ID:vy7oPM+f No.43009 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>42868
?
>>
Martin Dartford - Sat, 28 Jan 2017 23:25:47 EST ID:maHgC2dI No.43010 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43009
probably not
>>
Phoebe Wobberwell - Sun, 29 Jan 2017 03:00:28 EST ID:rszTYzvc No.43011 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485676828281.gif -(77209B / 75.40KB, 749x973) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>40285
Ugh, so many armchair lawyers with no real understanding of the NICS system or the practical application of the 4473 form just throwing out nonsense.

>A COURT has to declare you mentally incompetent and forcefully order you into a nut house for it to matter on the 4473 at A FEDERAL LEVEL.
Any voluntary or involuntary submissions NOT ORDAINED BY THE COURT to a loony bin does not qualify at a FEDERAL LEVEL. The process in which a court and judge declare you as mentally unfit to stand as your own person is a long and expensive process. I've been through it with family members with Alzheimer's disease that were too cheap to get a will/power of attorney. It costs a fuckload of money and takes anywhere from 2-6 months. Unless you have been through this whole fucking ordeal, you aren't listed as restricted AT A FEDERAL LEVEL! Even if doctors petition a court to commit your after a 72hr eval, you still have to go through this whole process. Most people do not understand what "Adjudicated" means so the ATF just puts down involuntarily committed. Rarely do these things get reported to the ATF by the way. Tons of people still slip under the radar in case you didn't know because people forget to report it or it just doesn't make it through all the bureaucracy. With digitalized shit though, it has gotten better.

>I only have a weed and underage alcohol charge.
Given that neither of these are likely not a felony or meant a year long prison sentence or more, I highly doubt you are barred at a Federal level. The 4473 refers to current addictions, not past. Nearly everyone has smoked pot but that doesn't stop any of them from buying a gun. Nobody is giving drug tests to buy a gun anyways. A Pot card may or may not stop you depending on state but I'm only talking Federal. Given that most pot/underage alcohol charges are simple misdemeanors, I HIGHLY doubt they ever make it on the ATF's no-no list. Only felony convictions/DV's etc matter. I can give you 99% assurance that you can buy a gun.

As a final note, just fucking fill the form out and if it passes/fails then that is it. You may get delayed which is not the same as a failure just so you know. The ATF doesn't prosecute (nor does any other sector of the DOJ) failed 4473's. You have an unspoken diplomatic immunity due to good faith. The 4473 is there to make sure you can own a gun. If you can't, the 4473 is also in part there to be able to tell you your legal status. I've only heard of the ATF investigating ~4; yes, four, failed applications in the year of 2013. None of them resulted in an arrest or charge to my knowledge.

>Also, you cannot legally buy guns through private sales if you have something legitimate that fails your 4473. I swear, this board is filled with either children from /k/ or part time Brady Campaigners. If you can't fucking buy a gun legally, you can't fucking buy a gun legally. Doesn't matter if you buy a Tec-9 from an 8 year old black kid or go to the local police station and buy a gun with a 4473 from the chief of local law enforcement. Also note, the 4473 can fail even if you are legally able to buy a gun. It is a digital system that is capable of errors. Especially if you have intelligence clearance such as secret/top secret/classified, have a super common name like John Smith, if you don't provide a SSN etc etc etc. After 3 days on a delay, you can legally complete the purchase on your firearm at a Federal level. Usually, unless you buy from like Wal-Mart, the gun shop will call you to tell you your Delay was passed or denied. Personally, in my experience, delays just go for 3 days and you get your shit after 72 hours since the submission because I'm fairly certain someone has to call the FFL to remove the delay but I could be wrong on that.

>Just go try it OP. Stop listening to all these pussies on this board. I'm sure that you'll pass if you aren't in some state like MA or NJ.
>>
Emma Wimbleman - Fri, 03 Feb 2017 07:56:58 EST ID:rbGIWcFg No.43028 Ignore Report Quick Reply
OP the main question and most important one in my opinion is that even if you do get the gun what will be the chance that you turn it on yourself during one of your suicidal urges? Sometimes the biggest threat to yourself may not be some thug scum but yourself. I mean a shot to the temple is probably one of the easiest ways to go out.

Just worried about that, that's all.
Best of luck OP. I genuinely hope you're over your depression and can acquire this gun and use it for good. Maybe you can go to the range as a new hobby and as a way to relax.
>>
Fuck Clinkindad - Fri, 03 Feb 2017 14:32:43 EST ID:gYI4dRyi No.43029 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43028
I think about suicide just about every day and own a number of large caliber rifles. Not gonna lie and say I've never caught myself looking down a barrel at least once. I would never do it though, I can't imagine the anguish that would put my family and friends through, not to mention the chance of them stumbling upon the ungodly bloody mess of brain matter and skull fragments that once used to be my noggin.
>>
William Bunfoot - Fri, 03 Feb 2017 15:00:08 EST ID:rszTYzvc No.43030 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43028
Shooting the temple is highly ineffective at ending your own life and usually results in terrible pain until you bleed out. Unless you turn into a vegetable which is very possible.

If you want to kill yourself, insert barrel and point at the back of the mouth. Not the roof but the back towards the hanging thing that I can't remember the name of right now lol. You want to destroy the brain stem. That permanently shuts off all existence and activity in the brain. Effective immediately. Base of the neck works too if you can manage it. The brain stem area is also exceptionally fragile. Merely a thump from a finger could destroy it if you had access to it somehow. The concussive force just from a bullet pass through would damage it sufficiently.
>>
Eliza Mibbletid - Mon, 06 Feb 2017 18:40:37 EST ID:6omymhWg No.43031 Ignore Report Quick Reply
this conversation reminds me of seinfeld's little bit about how life is like a board game, and the lawyers are the only people who read the rules on the box

pretty crazy how helpless laypeople are in legal matters
>>
Eliza Mibbletid - Mon, 06 Feb 2017 18:44:55 EST ID:6omymhWg No.43032 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43030

correct. uvula. snipers going for lethal takedowns aim for the mouth to instantly sever the brainstem. it's also the most humane way to dispatch a captured or wounded animal, knife under the base of the skull
>>
Shitting Worthingridge - Mon, 06 Feb 2017 22:57:33 EST ID:AjEMDQuQ No.43033 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1486439853143.jpg -(137415B / 134.19KB, 600x455) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43032
>knife under the base of the skull
not as easy as you make it sound. Quite stupid to try. Just shoot it.
Also the most surefire way to kill yourself with a gun is to put the barrel between your eyes. Aimed toward your brainstem. Back of the mouth works too but I think sticking things in your mouth is gay.
>>
Ian Nurrybanks - Tue, 07 Feb 2017 05:59:37 EST ID:CU0hBX/y No.43034 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1486465177399.png -(851781B / 831.82KB, 1200x887) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43033

The most surefire way to kill yourself with a gun is to rig a rope and pulley system that counterbalances all of your weapons against one another, while simultaneously aiming and firing them to perforate yourself in as many areas as possible, ensuring rapid ex-sanguination.

Plus when people find your suicide scene they're gonna see what looks like a wind chime made out of guns.
>>
Martha Cicklefoot - Wed, 08 Feb 2017 19:50:26 EST ID:6omymhWg No.43036 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1486601426046.gif -(920656B / 899.08KB, 268x245) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43034

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.