420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
debate - please help by Ian Boshstock - Tue, 14 Feb 2017 21:27:03 EST ID:uyOodF3/ No.43069 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1487125623549.jpg -(87601B / 85.55KB, 400x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 87601
My father and I are having a heated argument. He says a woman he knows survived a point blank blast from a 10 gauge shotgun to her lower back. I say her abdomen would have been vaporized, no chance of survival. I told him he had been lied to or misheard details of the story but he thinks it's legitimate.

So, help me out. For the sake of argument and possible variables, assume the following scenario:

>Middle aged female victim with 10g shotgun aimed anywhere in the square area between the bottom of her shoulder blades and the top of her buttocks
>Gunman anywhere from point blank, muzzle-on-back to 10 feet away
>Any kind of possible ammo, from buckshot to a slug to a steak knife jammed down the barrel.

Who is right? Would she have been blown to bits or could she have survived?
>>
Ian Boshstock - Tue, 14 Feb 2017 21:35:07 EST ID:uyOodF3/ No.43070 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43069
For the record, we're both fairly Fudd, neither of us have a lot of experience with guns in general, especially not shotguns. NB
>>
Eugene Pockwater - Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:38:27 EST ID:/CNqOc3c No.43072 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43069
She'd be paralyzed but not torn in half. She'd almost certainly die from such a wound however. Even if she was shot on an operating table. Usually, at distances less than 10 feet, no matter what you shoot someone with, a shotgun is going to not disperse the projectiles and it will basically just be a 3/4" slug of lead until it hits something. So basically just rip a 1.5-2" wide hole into flesh and have the temporary wound channel added. At point blank, the gases from the blast would probably cause significant flesh damage as well.

Realistically, it would be almost certain death but it isn't impossible to survive. Given a strike to the spine would cause so many other complications not even related to bleeding out or destroyed organs, the chances of survival are very slim. But nothing is going to be vaporized but some blood that exits with the projectile.
>>
Thomas Brizzletedge - Thu, 16 Feb 2017 19:26:00 EST ID:W9aa6K9G No.43074 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43070

This thread is bad and you should feel bad
>>
Ebenezer Turveyspear - Tue, 21 Feb 2017 15:17:10 EST ID:gEMSg6df No.43080 Ignore Report Quick Reply
people have had bullets go through their brain and survived, i'm sure it is possible to get shot in the back of the torso and survive, though unlikely. what a pointless stupid waste of time to even discuss it.
>>
Beatrice Nammlebeck - Thu, 23 Mar 2017 10:24:27 EST ID:BV4tmAj8 No.43140 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Maybe he meant 20-gauge? He gets that 10-gauge is BIGGER, right?

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.