420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Hiking packs by Clara Fimblelodge - Sat, 04 Mar 2017 03:21:51 EST ID:ya/0Bzaa No.43127 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1488615711454.jpg -(237056B / 231.50KB, 656x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 237056
I need a good pack with about 40-50litres of space to use hitchhiking/freighthopping
Ideally it has
Long, tall design
Simple
Preferably no zippers
Molle straps are nice
Id rather it wasnt camouflage, but a dull color like green or brown
Lightweight-ish
Quality. Surplus is generally what i would call good quality
I have a low budget of like 70$, so buying a used one is an option
Pic related. savotta jääkäri
>>
Beatrice Pickbury - Sat, 04 Mar 2017 21:10:24 EST ID:gYI4dRyi No.43128 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43127
Kelty Redwing 50
>>
Charles Wommerpeck - Sat, 04 Mar 2017 22:03:10 EST ID:C6Nz9qy1 No.43129 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Hiking and hitching bags are two completely different worlds. Don't mix them. You'll regret it. You seem to be mixing them both together.

>I need a good pack with about 40-50litres of space to use hitchhiking/freighthopping
You don't need that much space. Unless you are 6'3" and 220+ lbs, it is going to kill you. Unless you are filling it with clothes and tarps and other lightweight, big shit, you are going to die caring that shit past 10 miles. If you are around 180lbs and average, 20lbs is good. 15 is great and anything getting close to 30 is death. Not sure if you have done this before but you seem green no offense. When you put a pack on, it shouldn't feel like it is there, if it feels "comfortable" on your shoulders it is too heavy.
>Ideally it has
>Long, tall design
Bad idea for train hitching. You want something around and square that handles far better than some big rectangular piece of shit. Bags are also built SOLELY around backsize of the user. Buy something that FITS YOUR BACK, not something that seems like it would be cool. Research on how to measure a backpack. They are clothing items and should be treated as such. You wear that shit endlessly, so make sure it fits you.
>Simple
Not sure what you mean by this. You don't want 1 pouch packs and shit, you want shit divided and organized but you could do without it I guess.
>Preferably no zippers
lol. Yeah, you want zippers. Trust me, cinch sacks FUCKING SUCK.
>Molle straps are nice
No they aren't. They get caught on fucking everything ever. Train hopping with external frames, molle shit and tassled zippers is a good way to get really fucked up. It also makes me want to steal you bag really really badly because it is overpriced pseudo military gear that I can pawn for a good price. The military gear look (And Molle screams military) also brings tons of heat from cops.
>Id rather it wasnt camouflage, but a dull color like green or brown
See above. This doesn't matter as much but black is the best color for staying low profile. Most commercial packs have reflective material. Paint over this.

>Lightweight-ish
I love that you put "ish." Not trying to ream your ass or whatever but this is about the most important factor of all. You really need to hike about 20 miles on a hot day with a pack that is more than 10% of your bodyweight.

>Quality. Surplus is generally what i would call good quality
Surplus is tough, expensive for what it is now and is made to the most basic standards possible for as cheap as possible. A commercial pack is a million times better than some hunk of shit ALICE pack that is fucking shoulder annihilating. Fuck used military gear. It used to be a deal to get military gear but now it is fucking retarded. ALICE packs that are like medium are like 70 fucking dollars now. I'd use an ALICE if it was 5 dollars maybe. Nothing more.

>I have a low budget of like 70$, so buying a used one is an option
Yeah, plenty of college kids that wanted to be adventurers selling their shit on craigslist because they got 2 miles from their leave point and took 50lbs of bullshit with them.

My go-to pack was a Northface StormBreaker 35. Here is why.

>Weights like 2 lbs.
>No external or real internal frame
>Small so it wears good and keeps me from loading up with shit I don't need.
>Hip straps. LOVELY FUCKING HIP STRAPS. PRAISE JESUS HIP STRAPS!
>Small enough to be thrown around and kept with me while I hitched. This is pretty damn important because having a mountain pack has to be put in a trunk which gets your shit stolen. I can sit it in my lap and hold on to it.
>I can lace my sleeping bag to the back along with tarp or tent if you really want to lug that weight.
>Pretty durable.
>Like 70-80 dollars.
>Can be found in nearly every gander mountain, bass pro, cabelas etc.
>Back is vented.
>Should straps are very high quality along with a binder clipper thing on the front.
>Relatively smooth all around so it doesn't grab on everything.
>Can handle my average 18-20lb load easily. 26lbs is the cut off for me though with it.

If I was still doing it, I'd go with a pack slightly smaller but only just and have better clasps to hook my tarp/bag. Or I'd go with a bigger bag with a top thing for my tarp and space for my bag. But I really despise big bags. Besides, if you have a safe area you can set up your tarp and tent for a while, it really starts to shine having those small minimalist bags.
>>
Jarvis Shakefoot - Sat, 04 Mar 2017 22:28:53 EST ID:ya/0Bzaa No.43130 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1488684533431.jpg -(154248B / 150.63KB, 640x577) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43129
>wall of text
>all good info
My man.
So ALICE packs are ok? I have an Lc1(actually from a goodwill, full of a hitchikers shit. 10$) that i used to carry around about 20 lb of shit when i was a sophmore on hikes, i was just thinking a taller designed one would be more comfortable on my longer torso, but i definitely dont want some high tech navy seal or everest-climbing looking shit.
>simple
I just mean, not too complicated. I thought if it looked like an old military one itd be less apt to be stolen
>MOLLE
Good point. Molles out. I just liked the idea of putting on like a first aid kit or whatever for extra space
>>
Charles Wommerpeck - Sun, 05 Mar 2017 15:52:24 EST ID:C6Nz9qy1 No.43131 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1488747144964.jpg -(612973B / 598.61KB, 1859x2000) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43130
ALICE sucks. Alice clips suck, Alice bags suck, Alice belts are just usable, Alice everything sucks. We went to MOLLE for a reason. I'd only use an ALICE pack if I was broke, couldn't get money and had to spend like 10 dollars and the rest on food/shelter.
>You can spange or busk and get 100 dollars in a day easy if you have even any sense or talents. Not even worth fucking with ALICE packs. With 100 dollars you can get a great pack, one that fits and still have money left over for a candy bar.

>an old military one itd be less apt to be stolen
The US military isn't operating within the us borders in places where packs would be dropped. I'd think 2 things when I saw a military MOLLE tacticool hunk of shit loaded to the gills.

>Some faggot cargo pants wearing mall ninja who has a bag loaded down with expensive gun shit
>Some faggot hipster with a million expensive camping trinkets

I'd promptly steal both and hit the local pawn shop.

If I see some beat up, dirty and nasty bookbag I'd still probably steal it but I'd be far less interested. Something like pic related makes me want to steal it before I could even blink. A military packs also says to me that the owner is probably some bitch wanting to look hardcore and I'd probably beat them in a confrontation over stealing it. A trashed out bookbag likely means I'd have to fight if I stole it and the owner was in eyeshot of it.

MOLLE is gay because anything you attach won't be plastic or waterproof, it will be fabric or cordura or whatever. That shit gets moldy, nasty and stays wet. A first aid kit goes best on a metal clasp in a waterproof small box. That way it pops open with a latch instead of zippers, it can be easily removed from the pack (massively im-fucking-portant) and it stays neat, tidy, and sterile.

>I really wouldn't look to the military for advice or tips on how to do this kind of shit. Here are some examples of what the military does:

>Carries 80lb packs on their back, destroying their knees if they ever had to actually walk all day on it.
>Hires anyone that applies. No matter how stupid you are, you get paid in the military.
>Has a massive network of support and care.
>Fucks off all day and just harasses people at their most demanding.
>Abides by laws and rules.
>If someone gets injured, the whole team unfucks them if possible. Nobody that gets injured is going to be fucking around with their personal tiny medical pouch of shit placed in an aggravating/compromising position.

The train kid life doesn't have any of these luxuries. Most military equipment and shit is geared towards being cheap, easy to manufacture/distribute and can be given to retards without concern for their safety or input. Military gear is rarely anything refined or quality. It is just durable and "simple" sometimes. Most because most military members who actually use this kind of "gear" have a strong back and weak mind.

>Since this is the gun board, I always have a giggle when these fat 40 year old men who haven't even been coleman-camping think they can do shit in the woods or on their own. Then try and tell me how to live this kind of life. Fantasies man. This shit is rough as fuck, the products and thinking sold to you are all wrong.

You can't leave a society built around maximizing comfort and minimizing effort and expect to take those standards and apply them to living like an animal. /rant
>>
Isabella Sellerhall - Sun, 05 Mar 2017 21:06:46 EST ID:gYI4dRyi No.43132 Ignore Report Quick Reply
In case it hasn't been mentioned, whatever pack you get make sure you replace any plastic clips/buckles/cinches etc. with metal ones if you are able to. Especially anything that tightens or secures the shoulder straps. I learned that the hard way.
>>
Nicholas Wirrydock - Fri, 21 Apr 2017 17:06:32 EST ID:wx1UUNdi No.43162 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1492808792779.jpg -(199308B / 194.64KB, 1024x768) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>preferably no zippers
>Molle straps

You can have something that will be lightweight, affordable, and durable.
Pick two.

http://www.511tactical.com/all-hazards-prime-backpack.html

I've worn this every day, gone camping dozens of times, had a few buddies in the service that swore by similar backpacks in size/shape and climbed two mountains with it.

Being able to tie things down/strap things on is excellent. Get some cord, learn to tie some useful knots.

>>43129
this is an excellent post, when you go and purchase a backpack. Try it on. Buying things online can be really haphazard as you won't know how uncomfortable it will be until you start wearing it.

My advice is to get something comfortable while being as small as possible. Pack light, light, light! Don't carry any unnecessary bullshit like laptops, extra books, shit like that.
Also, surplus typically has things that are...surplus! Just because it never got used doesn't mean it isn't old as fuck and frayed as hell.

If I were you I would start rucksack training first, put a couple of big ass bottles of water in your pack and hike a couple days a week. Do push ups and core exercises so there is less strain on your back from the weight of your pack, start running 3-4x a week as well.
Your body will thank you later, quit smoking if you haven't already.

Good luck, godspeed.
>>
Shit Bloddleford - Mon, 24 Apr 2017 06:23:10 EST ID:90AJUaVM No.43163 Ignore Report Quick Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY

GET
ON
MY
LEVEL
>>
Eliza Bammlesit - Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:17:45 EST ID:2vbNcM91 No.43166 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I bought an ACU digital pattern MOLLE rucksack, with frame / straps and everything, for $35 on the Midway USA website several months ago. They were having some sort of clearance sale, I guess, because I just checked back, and similar rucks are going for ~ $100. Just keep an eye out for good deals, I guess.
>>
Simon Bickleham - Sat, 29 Apr 2017 04:51:16 EST ID:ya/0Bzaa No.43167 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1493455876181.png -(666531B / 650.91KB, 640x1136) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43127
This is what im looking at. Right size, like the shape. I feel like its simple enough so that it doesnt scream "im expensive and the person wearing me is a bitch." Ill probably spray some tan/green/brown colors so itll blend more and look shitty and not worth stealing. Looks really comfortable too. Opinions
>>
Simon Bickleham - Sat, 29 Apr 2017 04:52:22 EST ID:ya/0Bzaa No.43168 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1493455942181.png -(499986B / 488.27KB, 640x1136) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>43167
>>
Archie Fanway - Sat, 29 Apr 2017 20:08:45 EST ID:gYI4dRyi No.43169 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43167
I can dig it, although if you do get it don't bother spraypainting it imo as grey is a good neutral color. How many liters capacity is it?
>>
Fanny Norringlet - Sat, 29 Apr 2017 21:54:46 EST ID:7YCzBUHT No.43170 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43169
If he uses it, it will look like shit the first time it rains and sits in a mud puddle while OP is cowering in a tent/tarp.
>>
Jarvis Duckham - Sat, 29 Apr 2017 22:49:04 EST ID:ya/0Bzaa No.43171 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>43169
55liters. Big, but id rather more space than needed than not enough

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.