420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
bad at tech by Charlotte Greenson - Thu, 16 Mar 2017 12:21:25 EST ID:Zudx1stW No.36610 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1489681285293.png -(2817549B / 2.69MB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 2817549
I graduated with a liberal arts degree from a top private uni in the US a year ago- i originally got admitted for electrical & computer engineering (a top 10 program) and just struggled like hell in that major for 3 years before dropping into a (semi-useless) liberal arts major so i could gtfo with a degree. my gpa is sub >2.5

I got a shitload of C's, D's and F's in my engineering classes cause I was/am immature, had no discipline and never did my homework. i never moved past the sophomore level of courses, i.e I only got to signal processing, circuits, 3D calc, diff eq, thermo, and a bunch of 'intro' programming classes in C++, python. i did way better in my liberal arts classes cause they were mostly jokes. didn't make it to any junior 'specialized' work or any capstones.

now i'm at a small 'consulting' firm where i'm basically an excel monkey/note taking bitch making a bit below 59k a year. Yes i'm lucky to even have a job but i'm a paper pusher and I feel like I'm wasting my potential every day in an industry i give 0 fucks about

i always get an itch to self-study Ruby or something and try and get back into tech, or go back to grad school (dubious with my poopoo gpa) and try again at something 'useful'- even though I blew tits at anything i touched related to tech. at work I still read tech articles, I still have hordes of engineering textbooks i flip through from time to time cause i feel nostalgic.

Should I move on and leave tech behind since I suck at it or is there a chance to redeem myself?
>>
Martha Gandlefoot - Thu, 16 Mar 2017 15:05:40 EST ID:zS1cdVxh No.36611 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36610

Why not learn what you're interested in on the side? If you develop skills and have good projects posted on github that's better than classes
>>
Doris Blusslefire - Fri, 17 Mar 2017 15:33:30 EST ID:9QSfnS0r No.36614 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Just so you know, no amount of programming that you can pick up in a few months will earn you 59k a year.

That being said if you don't think you are contributing something useful do it as a hobby get an Arduino, find some Hackerspace in your area and see where that takes you.
>>
Doris Blusslefire - Fri, 17 Mar 2017 15:40:53 EST ID:9QSfnS0r No.36615 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36611
>If you develop skills and have good projects posted on github that's better than classes
You can't really make a generalization like that.
>>
William Dovinghood - Sun, 26 Mar 2017 18:01:32 EST ID:mfkLzG/S No.36643 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Keep the 59k a year job.

Get up a few hours early every day and do this https://functionalcs.github.io /curriculum/ it's slow at first until you build mathematical maturity then you essentially tear through all the rest of the courses because it will be review/easier to do the psets.
>>
William Dovinghood - Sun, 26 Mar 2017 18:02:31 EST ID:mfkLzG/S No.36644 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36643
https://functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/ oops
>>
Sidney Drubblenitch - Tue, 28 Mar 2017 16:21:01 EST ID:9QSfnS0r No.36647 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36643
>Get up a few hours early
lol
>every day
good one
>build mathematical maturity
yeah do it, without going to any class
>you essentially tear through all the rest
rofl

I get the distinct impression that the last thing OP needs is a collection of links.
>>
Albert Turveystone - Wed, 05 Apr 2017 21:18:22 EST ID:1joa5uVv No.36686 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36647
but den u bee 1337 functional programmar.
no but it might be beneficial, idk.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.