420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
A ridiculous sequence of courses by Doris Blatherstock - Sun, 04 Jun 2017 02:38:16 EST ID:HC1vVHLz No.37033 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1496558296564.jpg -(18091B / 17.67KB, 480x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 18091
Hello, I made and actually did all this (including the 'grad level' research electives, except for the coding theory book)
https://functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/

It's easier than it looks, it took me 3 years to do that. I did it about 3-4 hrs a day at first but then everything kind of snowballed and I finished it with only 1hr a day after the first year. These days I'm finishing The Art of Computer Programming series, I'm done up to book 4A and doing 4B draft at the same time. I just do it 20-30mins a day.

I cannot shill TAOCP enough, it totally changed me from amateur to professional computer scientist by just doing hundreds and hundreds of exercises. 20mins a day, for one year, it's all you need for the first book. Anyway, pick and choose what you want from this list and enjoy

I make money from cloning shopify apps, and I work P/T on https://turtle.ai/ though much more infrequently these days. I started out shilling myself on elance (now "upwork") as a jr developer and literally taking jobs from 3rd world countries for less than I would spend on lunch. I also work 2 days a week at my local university doing "ML" (statistics) for a cancer research lab making peanuts but it's research, and fun to do, and I don't need the money. The book in that above link, "Parallel and Sequential Algorithms" was directly responsible for the lab hiring me. Anyway anons I'm here to tell you to try this have a good day.
>>
George Brublingway - Thu, 06 Jul 2017 09:14:17 EST ID:d05k9PWy No.37101 Ignore Report Quick Reply
l can't comment on the actual classes, but the quote about Newton reminded me of The Ignorant Schoolmaster by Jacques Rancière. I think you would like it.
>>
Thomas Buzzbanks - Thu, 06 Jul 2017 23:34:46 EST ID:g2PdyrbM No.37102 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37033
Anon, where do you frequent? I've been trying to hunt you down from stormfront /prog/.
>>
Augustus Murdspear - Sat, 08 Jul 2017 13:25:09 EST ID:H7cDawaz No.37107 Ignore Report Quick Reply
If you did it in three, I imagine it could be done it two if one maintained 4-5 hours daily? I'm at Valenza's Abstract Algebra book right now and it's difficult but ez at the same time. Love The Little Schemer/MLer. Anyway, thank you for creating it OP.
>>
Basil Divingtack - Sun, 09 Jul 2017 17:06:42 EST ID:GsJxTieM No.37108 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I was going to post a thread about potential programming certification and coding school programs that didnt involve throwing my money down the drain at a 4 year waste of time

while this is unaccredited, I guess I could do this for fun.

side question: recommend any coding schools?

are they worthless?
could I atleast get a entry level code monkey position?
>>
Charles Crickleman - Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:29:55 EST ID:Ay6PEFuC No.37109 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37108
What do you mean code schools? Like programming boot camps? Most of those are legit, but you only get out what you put in and they're more about tools and concepts (e.g. for front/back end web development) than the basic skills that you need to be a decent programmer.
>>
Graham Himmerham - Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:10:19 EST ID:MNLHjix1 No.37110 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37109
Okay, could you recommend any?
Anything to look out for?
>>
Polly Boddlelock - Wed, 19 Jul 2017 00:15:00 EST ID:9plGIS8Y No.37114 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Thanks for the curricula brah. Currently learning about learning. Real interesting stuff. I'm already a fast learner but maybe knowing how it works will help me git gud faster.
>>
Lydia Buzzcocke - Wed, 19 Jul 2017 14:42:05 EST ID:hh4uYXvR No.37116 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37033
Thanks for the link, I could use a touch-up on specifically my math (esp. algrebra) and problem solving skills...

Lots of great reading in there. "Parallel and Sequential Algorithms" is really interesting

That's my summer vacation covered :-D
>>
Archie Fongerlodging - Thu, 20 Jul 2017 22:30:07 EST ID:eZVREo4y No.37120 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37033
Anon quit being a fag and mentor me on making money in crypto
>>
Shitting Chuzzledock - Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:30:31 EST ID:MNLHjix1 No.37156 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37033
Simeltaneously doing the "How to learn" Course paired with the introductory Programming Course. I gave the "How to learn" course a 2 week head start.

What I like about it so far
  1. I already know a lot about anatomy, physiology and how the brain functions
  2. I already habitiually do 30 min-1 hour habits on a daily basis (DuoLingo, Guitar, puzzles, reading...) so this is easy to adopt.

Wish me luck, as I delve into this new frontier of CS
>>
Phyllis Blythegold - Tue, 19 Sep 2017 23:42:40 EST ID:eZVREo4y No.37194 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37033
this was posted on my birthday

anyway, do you have a blog I could follow anywhere anon? all your recommendatiosn are always solid
>>
Ernest Sumblewell - Wed, 27 Sep 2017 12:57:04 EST ID:M+uLLNpk No.37195 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37194

How do you know their recommendations? How do you know that this is the same person that wrote whatever else you are thinking of?
>>
Jack Dartcocke - Fri, 06 Oct 2017 00:37:16 EST ID:eZVREo4y No.37209 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37195
I've stalked this guy to no end, I know his writing style at minimum. Regardless, if someone fooled me, I wouldn't mind following another anons stellar blog and recommendations.
>>
Archie Bridgekut - Sat, 07 Oct 2017 09:24:59 EST ID:h1AD0QpE No.37210 Ignore Report Quick Reply
is this shit actually worthwhile doing till the end? I really want to become better, and I would spend the time, I'm just asking if the curriculum is decent
>>
Doris Fuckingridge - Wed, 11 Oct 2017 21:15:16 EST ID:eZVREo4y No.37216 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37210
yes
>>
Walter Hummlebad - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 21:26:35 EST ID:BBXKtFPn No.37219 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37210
The curriculum is decent, but probably not worthwhile unless you're pursuing a degree. If you're looking to be a programmer with the working knowledge of a typical CS graduate, this is not how you do that.
>>
Lillian Follyhone - Fri, 20 Oct 2017 18:24:30 EST ID:qXcTInin No.37220 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I got into a top 30 school in the US and I'm going for computer programming. I'm probably going no matter what, but I'd still like your opinions as to if this is a good idea or not.
>>
Beatrice Mimbledatch - Thu, 26 Oct 2017 12:59:37 EST ID:VU0UgEAS No.37224 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37219
Can you go into more detail regarding how this won't provide you with typical ccs graduate knowledge? Where are the differences?
>>
Beatrice Mimbledatch - Thu, 26 Oct 2017 13:01:23 EST ID:VU0UgEAS No.37225 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37033
hey opcan you repost that online linear algebra resrouces? I see you edited on the 24th and that really rustles my goddam jimmies man
>>
David Dingerhall - Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:27:58 EST ID:FXkQatto No.37228 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37225
nvm found it, just pls don't delete your github history. Bookmarking what I can, but I don't want to lose anything
>>
Alice Blundersine - Sat, 11 Nov 2017 22:16:46 EST ID:oPY6s1zJ No.37231 Ignore Report Quick Reply
OP will u fukn respond u jolly african-american

make a similar curriculum but for math, pls.
>>
Sophie Dungerwadging - Thu, 23 Nov 2017 03:37:00 EST ID:x6K3CZQk No.37240 Ignore Report Quick Reply
This thread persists!

>>37231
I'm pretty much terrible at math compared to the people at the lab I work with. Here I give the advice https://functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/#sec-2-4 the best way to learn math is to just find a paper or a book you want to understand and start doing it, looking up things you don't understand as you go along. Then as you progress through the exercises eventually you will just get it, well get it enough so you can use it correctly in an applied way. I did this when I first learned asymptotic representations such as big-oh/theta/ and big omega for lower bounds. It required a background in basic single variable calculus which I didn't have, so I picked up a calculus book and read it until I could follow the text on O(f(n)) approximation and until I could finally use Euler's summation formula to approximate finite sums. This led to learning about integrations, Bernoulli numbers/polynomials, derivatives, limits, all elementary calculus. I was terrible at proofs as well until I read VanDrunen's book on Functional Programming w/discrete mathematics which put it all together for me. Before that I was terrible at induction until I read Knuth's chapter on it despite working on numerous exercises and books on proofs before I came across Knuth's books. I guess you should just jump in and try the Mathematical Preliminaries chapters in The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I 'Fundamental Algorithms'. You can use libgen to get a pdf or buy a used copy anywhere, then when Knuth does some magic you don't understand with the notation summing a pile of subscripts and negative exponents or deriving rules from bracket notation look up directly that material in some elementary text (Knuth also tells you often where more information can be found, often referring T. Apostol or Hardy books by page number and volume). For elementary texts I used "What is Mathematics" by Courant and Robbins and Axler textbooks, since Axler works through every second problem and shows you the complete solutions instead of just providing an answer. I also asked a lot of stack exchange questions and shit posted my elementary problems on /sci/.

>>37033
There's a bunch of things I should add to this, like lectures I have found by Andrew Appel. If you are unmotivated like me and it's a task to go through this material, what I do now is pick a project, and then I've become a researcher instead of a passive student. Since I want to finish this project it's no longer a tiresome task to slog through hours of lectures instead I'm now focused on exactly what I want to learn so tearing through lectures and papers is much easier for me now then when I started this. Pick what you want to build and then use the curriculum as your research material, or to help understand recent papers you've grabbed off of Google Scholar for your SQL prover or AI coin exchange bot or w/e. Whatever you want to build or problem you want to solve right now, immediately begin to build it and research as you go. I spent an entire night once going through chapters in a networking theory book looking for ideas how my crazy abstraction could work for a program I was building without losing interest once, in fact I glanced at my phone and saw it was 4am and I had been sitting for almost 4 hours without a break engrossed in the material. No way would I have ever done that otherwise.

>>37224
>>37219
The point of this list was I wanted to find rigorous material to help with understanding the latest research papers in computer science, in particular complexity theory and type theory which is hard to find, there's a lot of MOOCs but they are not all that rigorous and focused towards business, I wanted academic. It's public since I found myself cut and pasting the list around so much to coworkers and friends I decided to just keep an org-mode curated list online for other people to take advantage of the material I managed to dig up. You can be a working programmer no problem though if you do any of those CMU courses, or just be a working test writer. Once I killed it on elance just doing other people's exams/homework for SQLite/Postegres at $50 a pop making $350 a day for only 2 hrs work. You can learn this yourself here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSE8ODhjZXjYutVzTeAds8xUt1rcmyT7x I still do it once in a while if I'm home with the flu and not working in the lab I'll go on elance and smash some discrete math homework jobs during breakfast so I can gamble the profits away speculating on whatever alt-coin for fun, the demise of BTC-e the world's shadiest exchange killed my previous pastime in arbitrage and writing trading bots, and everybody else wants piles of ID/passport images sadly. Somebody here should finish the list, go intern at Janes Street fintech and write a cowboy exchange for me to raid with my arbitrage bots I don't have the time anymore.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.