420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
SQL???? by Frederick Billingham - Thu, 29 Jun 2017 23:03:54 EST ID:CWRrpPJ1 No.37095 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1498791834108.jpg -(13839B / 13.51KB, 312x311) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 13839
heya proggers

what are the career prospects for those proficient in SQL and SQL alone?

Took a year long course in marketing research and I realize the databasers seem more of my folk than than the marketeering knobs.

What languages complement SQL? What are some good resources for learning SQL?

Thanks proggies
>>
Charlotte Snodforth - Fri, 30 Jun 2017 19:41:03 EST ID:i0lxLdXJ No.37096 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37095
SQL isn't a job qualification any more than Excel is. You can get a job managing a database and making sure it doesn't blow up, but that's not what you're talking about and I don't think there's a bright future in that anyway. As for languages that pair with SQL, fuck that. SQL has fallen out of favor with programmers precisely because that's a mess. If you want to grow your skills, maybe take a data science course and don't worry so much about what language or technology you're working with so long as it's powerful.
>>
Shit Bardman - Tue, 04 Jul 2017 17:14:53 EST ID:p6i2oGw1 No.37098 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37095
SQL alone is limited. You could aim for something like a report writer or data administrator, but those aren't amazing positions.

You could aim to become a DBA but you'll need to expand your skills, a grounding in data modeling theory is useful and you'll need knowledge of the features and application of one or more DBMSs. Programming background helps a lot too.

With programming and SQL knowledge there's a huge field of business software development you could enter. Pretty much any systems or backend scripting language pairs well with SQL, try Python or PHP or C# or Java or something similar.

Data science is a fast growing field, but there are programs and languages more suited to it than raw SQL. Still, a grounding in SQL and a proper statistics course would not be wasted in this direction.

There are lots of online resources. You can use SQLFiddle to practice or install a SQL DBMS on your own computer. For tutorials just use Google.

>>37096
> SQL has fallen out of favor
Are you nuts? SQL is second only to JavaScript on the list of popular technologies on StackOverflow's 2017 developer survey. SQL has its flaws but there's hardly anything comparable.
>>
Charles Poggletack - Thu, 06 Jul 2017 03:12:10 EST ID:9QSfnS0r No.37099 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37098
>Are you nuts? SQL is second only to JavaScript on the list of popular technologies on StackOverflow's 2017 developer survey. SQL has its flaws but there's hardly anything comparable.
That's probably not what the post was meant to say. SQL is still very popular for uses where it is appropriate, meaning medium amount of loosely coupled data.
But (gladly) many people stopped using it to store lots of tightly coupled data, they use NoSql DBs like ElasticSearch and such.

Another factor is that SQL is a pain to keep secure and that is regarded as a widely accepted fact, it's just that there isn't any practical real alternative as of yet.
>>
Priscilla Bingerworth - Mon, 17 Jul 2017 07:47:32 EST ID:2Zau/Z1R No.37113 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Building databases is a hefty job and is usually split in three phases, sometimes assigned to different teams: analysis, design and realization. Writing SQL is involved only in the last part, and is merely a translation of the output of the "design" phase (which is based on the output of the analysis, duh)
If you want to get serious about databases, I suggest learning first and foremost about relational algebra, ensuring the integrity of data, Entity-Relationship diagrams, use-case design, first order logic (FOL) and the relational model of data. That is required and necessary to having the logical and semantically correct model for your data, independent of which DBMS you are going to chose. It is a very tricky subject at first and you should never start writing any SQL code without first analyzing what you want to build, because there are often many ambiguities in our imagination and lots of stuff that just needs to be analyzed in order to get an optimal, coherent result.
>>
Lydia Buzzcocke - Wed, 19 Jul 2017 15:10:59 EST ID:hh4uYXvR No.37117 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37095
> what are the career prospects for those proficient in SQL and SQL alone?
not many, unless you're a Microsoft SQL (TSQL) guru. You do need to know your way around the OS the DB is on as well, if you are to solve problems with the SQL server.

Unless you're also a programmer in some way, you're unlikely to get your foot in, as you are expected nowadays to not only manage the DB and be able to query, but to expand it and integrate it in a product as well.
Where I work (as a sysadmin), the programmers take care of DB layout, integration etc... I just take care of the server, user rights and make sure it all runs smoothly and is backed up.

The REAL challenge is balancing the workload properly between DB and programs...

What languages complement SQL? What are some good resources for learning SQL?
Any language can speak to any language, provided there's an API or library
The answer really depends on if you want to make practical apps or websites. C# is a good (albeit Microsoft-centric) start, as you can both do .exe apps and websites (with ASP.NET) quite easily. I find both MSSQL and Visual Studio have some good features to help beginners along and save time.

If you decide on C#, have a look at LINQ to SQL and Entity Framework (and linqpad for debuggin' and tweakin') as those can help you make safe DB calls without too much fuss.

Python is another good route. It's widely used on all platforms and has dug its way into embedded electronics as well. It also has lots of functions and features for crunching and visualizing data

If you want to stick to database work, there's still data analysis, business intelligense and data mining jobs... but again, any of the above languages is always a great help for gathering the proper metrics
>>
Betsy Bommlebut - Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:50:07 EST ID:xjxP6QN5 No.37118 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37117
> Entity Framework
If you do this you'll never really understand data. Avoid object-relational mappers like the plague (cause they are a plague), see >>37113 for the straight dope
>>
Wesley Bardhood - Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:41:06 EST ID:9QSfnS0r No.37121 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37118
Sometimes you are forced to, because your colleagues are using it or your boss wants you to use it because they think it makes your codebase portable across database daemons.
I hate ORMs with fervor but I still use one almost every day.
>>
Isabella Packleson - Tue, 25 Jul 2017 15:57:46 EST ID:V7eGwZUD No.37123 Ignore Report Quick Reply
OP, get into PostgreSQL. It's a legit good analytical tool and my company uses it everywhere.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.