420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Disadvantaged youth to young independent adult wanting to finally pursue his dreams by Wizzle710 - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 23:02:04 EST ID:YAuFJPxx No.37221 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1508727724535.jpg -(49540B / 48.38KB, 480x852) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 49540
Hey everyone. So this is the long and the short of it.
For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a computer programmer, work with computers, do really geeky stuff with technology. I remember at 12 getting a cracked version of Macromedia Flash and teaching myself how to animate, and also trying to teach myself HTML and CSS. Well, my piece of shy father has been in prison since I was 7 and my mom had five kids, so I really didn't exactly get to pursue my dreams while my mom lost her house, and all of us kids had to get jobs and go stay with friends or family members because she couldn't afford to house us and support us all through school, and I was kind of a bad kid and a slacker and got kicked out of school, so I never even considered a scholarship was kind of out of the equation .
I still want to go to school and get a job sitting on my computer all day doing nerdy interweb stuff, where should I get an education? How can I get help paying for it? I want to be a success story and not the bitter shell of an abandoned son who gave up on his creative dreams and ended up as a cook making $10 dollars an hour.

To;Dr
Im 25 and want to get an education and become a computer programmer or work in cyber security or something. I would like some recommendations as to where to go and how to get financial assistance.
>>
Charles Fangerfine - Mon, 23 Oct 2017 09:19:52 EST ID:gezKXAce No.37222 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37221
If you have no money for school just follow along with free courses online like:
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

If you build up a little portfolio with a website, app, game, whatever; I'm sure smaller tech companies would love to hire you.
>>
Caroline Febberbotch - Tue, 24 Oct 2017 07:56:29 EST ID:DTH+mKcd No.37223 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37221
You could also try applying for an paid internship. Having experience does more for you in the industry than hard knowledge.

That should also help with the money.
>>
Polly Gerringnare - Fri, 27 Oct 2017 03:09:21 EST ID:BW3MomrQ No.37226 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37223
This. Get an internship.
>>
David Fiddlestone - Sat, 04 Nov 2017 04:49:13 EST ID:Ttug6D/U No.37229 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37221
I have a somewhat similar story to yours. Dad suicided when I was in my early teens, mom moved away and had a fifth kid, I stayed with strangers and had to feed myself while still in high school. I failed math in my final year and couldn't get into uni even if I had the money. However, since then, things have gotten better.

I started work as a wages clerk, then got into tech support in a small startup. I soon got involved in programming and eventually took over as the sole developer when the previous one got a better offer. I eventually got uni admission based on age and had to do a math bridging course. I was around your age when I started studying. I did my degree part-time over 10 years while working, even for a year and a half did an evening job for extra money in addition to my main job and studying. I completed my degree, then my employer got bought out by a bigger corporation. By this time I had qualifications, skills and experience and after a few years with the new company, I got promoted to dev team lead. So now I have a team of 7 people and I spend my time doing system analysis and design and advising and managing people.

My advice - try to get into a good company in a technical position, regardless of the level of that position. Even if it's tech support or writing help files or cleaning keyboards. You'll get exposed to the right environment, build relationships with the right people, and get the opportunity to grow and learn.
>>
Lydia Pellerban - Mon, 06 Nov 2017 15:47:48 EST ID:fC4UxU1U No.37230 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37229
Awesome declaration my brother, thank you. You gave us proud, hope and inspiration.
>>
Frederick Drovingcocke - Fri, 17 Nov 2017 22:55:35 EST ID:uWLieSb9 No.37236 Ignore Report Quick Reply
those bootcamps are really not that bad. or at least they wheren't 5 years ago, maybe the scams outnumber now.
>>
Jarvis Crebblehood - Sat, 18 Nov 2017 00:01:57 EST ID:9QSfnS0r No.37237 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37223
Internships are fine and dandy, but keep in mind that the road to full employment from there isn't as clear cut as you might think. Companies might keep you as an "intern" even if you are doing a full days work and it suits them.
So keep in mind that oral agreements often mean shit...

But that said, you can actually get companies to pay for one of those coding bootcamps after/during an internships.
>>
Jarvis Clayworth - Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:06:55 EST ID:5N3VHd+T No.37238 Ignore Report Quick Reply
OP, internships are hard to come by. I live in NYC and with 2 years education and loads years of freelance exp, I have yet to find one myself.

People who have connections seem to always suggest it, which is kinda unfair.

Anyways, for learning purposes, community colleges offer pretty good associates' in Programming and/or computer science.

If you're like me and hate math, a computer science degree is probably not the best to chase, but programming or telecom or information systems management paths would be adequate.
>>
Martha Tillingcocke - Mon, 27 Nov 2017 03:38:05 EST ID:HH6lED9y No.37242 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37221
I just wanted to say, if you're low income (which it sounds like) you should consider going to college because federal grants will cover most, if not all, of the tuition price.
This may vary state to state (I assume you are in the USA), but for my first bachelor's I did not pay a dime because I was considered low income as well.
Keep in mind the assistance is not forever. Where I live I believe the max is seven years of assistance or until you get your first bachelor's. With that said, you should try to finish community college as quickly as possible, so you can transfer to a four year university and not worry about the aid running out.
Good luck and it is possible!
>>
Martha Tillingcocke - Mon, 27 Nov 2017 03:43:02 EST ID:HH6lED9y No.37243 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1511772182901.jpg -(958965B / 936.49KB, 1405x1405) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>37242
I just read the tl;dr where you ask about getting the assistance. Most schools have a financial aid office where you can get more information to apply. Ask lots of questions because any worker you interact with is going to want to do the minimum amount of work and send you on your way ASAP, whether or not your issues have been addressed. This applies to academic counselors as well. You are your own best advocate, remember that.
>>
Cyril Bunforth - Wed, 06 Dec 2017 13:46:15 EST ID:FfnIApJC No.37251 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Apply to four year universities in your state. In-state tuition is a huge cost saver for most people. Join the one with the best Computer Science or Computer Engineering department that accepts you. Go to their finical aid office. They will help you with grants and loans.

If you graduate with CS or CE degree the loans will be worth it as long as you keep it under a hundred grand.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.