Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

How do I make money and/or a career from programming? by Edward Lightville - Tue, 01 Jan 2019 15:53:49 EST ID:vb/GtI8M No.37719 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1546376029121.jpg -(8671B / 8.47KB, 243x200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 8671
I'm in college and took a basic programming course. I started volunteering in a lab when someone mentioned that a biology professor needed some help. I asked about it and took up the offer, and what he needed people to do was go down a list and search things by hand. Hundreds of thousands of times. I told him you could easily make a program to do that. And now I've been helping him out doing some basic bioinformatics work for probably about six months now.

I realized that programming is pretty cool and that I can create things well enough that they do useful work. So I was wondering how do you get into a career like this, or make money?

I got an AA degree and I'm working on a completely unrelated technical certificate. Part of me is sad I didn't go to school for programming, but at this point I don't know if I can waste any more time or money. I need to get a job, and I think programming is cool.

>tl;dr: I took up programming to help out some professors at college. I need a job and realized programming would be a cool career. I have basically no formal training and I don't have the time or money to go back to school (again). What do?
>>
Jarvis Mattingkut - Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:23:53 EST ID:ztur2YT8 No.37720 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You might need to look at some entry-level positions for programmers (a bunch of companies won't want to hire you if you don't have a degree in programming). You can likely find a job by looking using some online job services to find something. Maybe work with some recruiters to get you a position somewhere.

Advertise With Us
Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.