420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Family by Caroline Nossleshaw - Wed, 08 Mar 2017 10:30:15 EST ID:54PBc7Id No.207850 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1488987015842.jpg -(47743B / 46.62KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 47743
What's up with family? What's up with heritage?
These things mean literally nothing to me, yet I notice so many people championing these things. Why do they do this?
Family is a group of people you share genetics with, who you have no choice of selecting, and heritage is people/events that have happened long in the past that you may be connected to genetically.
I don't understand the point in being proud of your heritage; you had nothing to do with it. I don't understand the point of being proud of your family; they're not you, nor are they people you've chosen to have in your life. And I don't understand the point of loving people simply because you share a genetic bond; there's nothing special about my genetics or anyone's genetics, really.

So what's up with this stuff? Why is it so significant to people?
>>
Jarvis Wosslegold - Wed, 08 Mar 2017 13:32:45 EST ID:d4DXKOh3 No.207851 Ignore Report Quick Reply
People are retarded. People are weak.

People want to feel proud without accomplishing anything.

That's all there is to it really.
>>
Caroline Nossleshaw - Wed, 08 Mar 2017 15:13:03 EST ID:54PBc7Id No.207852 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>207851
LOL I totally agree. But I mean I still wanted to ask.
>>
Nathaniel Bardfuck - Thu, 09 Mar 2017 01:35:00 EST ID:Am93n9Du No.207854 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1489041300972.jpg -(55328B / 54.03KB, 512x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>207850
Maybe initially for survival and comradery. Because of the bonds between infant and parents made at birth. Perpetuation of that specific genome, somewhat. For inheritance of things and titles, of labor, skills, and culture. Something to belong to? An informal support network. And because holidays.

Any of that hogwash reason to love, nah, ya either do or ya don't.
>>
Fucking Dendlepork - Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:03:38 EST ID:yejEFop0 No.207860 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>207850
I don't really care about my own family, but that's because they treated me like shit and abused me. Family, in practice, should be the people you can trust the most, but we all know that it doesn't always work out like that.

It is really hard to find your own identity though. Certainly not impossible, but hard. It's one of the reasons you have people pining for those mother/father relationships they never had, and they end up being exploited. Would life be better if I had a better male role model. Certainly, but the same can be said about a lot of things I didn't have. It's irritating to hear people who were raised in single parent homes are doomed. They definitely have a harder time, but it by no means that their fate is sealed. Maybe that's something people tell themselves because it makes them not challenge themselves. Like defeatism.

I don't know what can be done about this thing. People come and go all the time. Even family.
>>
Reuben Daffinglock - Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:52:08 EST ID:Ya59RsKY No.207866 Ignore Report Quick Reply
People are always looking for things to believe in and connect to. Which is what everyone else is saying, but I think also a big part of the reason it's so huge for so many people is that for a large part of human history there really wasn't anything else to do but hang out with people related to you. Nowadays, you can identify with and spend your time on pretty much anything under the sun, because you have the ability to find out about anything under the sun, but for 99% of human history all you could ever even know about or experience was all the other shlubs who happen to live in the same crappy place you do. So you wouldn't even have anything else to get excited about or build up significance into.

That's my take on it anyway, I was raised in a generally backwater place where people put an outsized importance on family, and I came to feel like it wasn't that they were choosing to be so fixated on it, but just out of the limited field of their experience there wasn't anything else worth fixating on. From here we could take a look at how the fact that industriality generates new options for spending time is what creates the opportunity for the erosion of the social fabric, but I'll let someone else take up that charge if wanted
>>
Emma Bunridge - Fri, 10 Mar 2017 18:07:11 EST ID:jDHD98qF No.207868 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>207850
Generally these are the people you can rely on the most. That varies from culture to culture, though. Some cultures are more collectivist, and there it makes more sense, and others are individualistic and it almost doesn't make sense because everyone's in it for themselves anyways. Not saying either one is necessarily better. It just makes sense, though. When everyone is willing to play by the rules of sacrificing for your family and people, everyone benefits. When they don't, well then everyone's in it for themselves. That's okay though, capitalism says competition and selfishness is good for innovation so we're going to have the very best security systems to keep everyone else out.
>>
Cyril Hirringlodge - Tue, 21 Mar 2017 02:04:34 EST ID:UJnj5mgn No.207924 Ignore Report Quick Reply
these things are vehicles by which the ever insatiable ego can puff itself up even further

>not only am I amazing, but so is my entire ancestral line, because i come from the best land of all lands, ha ha i am best!
>>
Frederick Driblingtack - Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:32:06 EST ID:TZEgBuHq No.207927 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>What's up with family?

Without your family you wouldn't exist or you'd be dead, assuming you weren't rescued by some third party

>What's up with heritage?

Your culture is what your ancestors have been building for years and years, and there's a lot of value that comes with the cultures we're lucky enough to inherit. You're basically asking what the value of culture is. Heritage is accumulated culture across time and generations.

>These things mean literally nothing to me, yet I notice so many people championing these things. Why do they do this?

Because they know that without the human beings in their inner circle, which in most cases has the family at the center, and their culture, they would be swimming in an ocean of chaos and death that they wouldn't be able to deal with at all. The alternative is being born in the wilderness alone and freezing to death immediately or being eaten by something.

>I don't understand the point in being proud of your heritage

Your ancestors produced societies (and survived successfully pre-agriculture, which is in some ways even more remarkable) that allowed their genes to propagate over hundreds of years, which is pretty much a miracle in its unlikelihood, not to mention all the benefits of culture that you benefit from. Without these things you wouldn't have a history, which would mean you wouldn't have any foundation to build the future on, you wouldn't have art, you wouldn't be able to read these words or have any conception of what words are, etc.

>you had nothing to do with it.

Well yes, I don't think anyone should take personal pride in things they really had nothing to do with, but the generations whose shoulders we stand on deserve some credit for all the things they managed to do, even without science. It really is miraculous what they managed to build over centuries through trial and error and ingenuity and through the process of natural selection.

>And I don't understand the point of loving people simply because you share a genetic bond

Well, you don't really have a choice. It's kind of the default unless you're fundamentally broken, or they betray you in such a horrible way that it destroys that relationship.

>there's nothing special about my genetics or anyone's genetics, really.

That isn't true at all. You are the product of thousands of years of natural selection. All of your ancestors managed to survive and propagate in a world that was trying to kill them, and in the context of competition with other people too. Lots of people didn't manage to pass on their genes, or just died. Should I say miracle again?

I say all this as someone who frankly doesn't like most of their family.
>>
Sidney Bimmlestitch - Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:49:00 EST ID:p5PWfvYz No.207931 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>207927
>you are the product of thousands of years of natural selection.
Natural selection isn't a process . Its closer to the lack of a process. Its fairer to say "you are whats left over after thousands of years of natural selection."
Not trying to be a dick just autism
>>
Frederick Driblingtack - Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:57:38 EST ID:TZEgBuHq No.207932 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>207931

I see what you're saying I think. Basically life just threw a bunch of shit at the wall and we're what stuck because it worked well enough.
>>
David Pickdock - Tue, 21 Mar 2017 16:04:27 EST ID:Ya59RsKY No.207933 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>207931
It's still a process. Process doesn't necessarily imply intention or thought. The reactions of chemistry are described as processes, and occur as an entropic breakdown in the same way that evolution does, yet are still fantastically complex and multi-staged enough to be described as 'processes.'

Not trying to be a dick but just autisming harder.
>>
Isabella Brucklespear - Wed, 29 Mar 2017 17:00:54 EST ID:uRNFOzYS No.207954 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>207931
I disagree with you too, but not for David's reasons. I think that natural selection can seem like "a lack of a process" in that randomness has a huge effect on it, however on an evolutionary scale, myriad traits have substantial effects on the results of selection. Not trying to be a dick just aiming for max autis

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.