420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Concision by Penis Flappingsack - Sun, 30 Apr 2017 22:40:11 EST ID:Sc8Oin8v No.208079 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1493606411302.jpg -(133341B / 130.22KB, 650x650) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 133341
Following the Anger Masturbation thread's theme of examining how to have better discussions, I'd like to discuss, or at least mention, concision. Often the most thoughtful posts on /pss/ are also some of the longest. I suspect that less people read them because of their length, and I imagine that this issue is worse yet when people are trying to read through a full back-and-forth in a thread. For the vast majority of you who concern yourselves with effective communication, I remind you to edit your posts down for concision when able.
>>
Doris Channerkut - Tue, 02 May 2017 05:24:53 EST ID:d4DXKOh3 No.208084 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Don't forget using the thesaurus to appear smarter. That really pisses me off. People that come here, and obviously use extremely flowery words to dress up a simple sentence.

Just keep it simple, leave the incomprehencible word salads to Heidegger!
>>
Betsy Drenningpat - Tue, 02 May 2017 11:46:50 EST ID:jYcEvk8u No.208086 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>208084

Time-space as commonly understood, in the sense of the distance measured between two time-points, is the result of time calculation.
>>
Henry Hodgeford - Tue, 02 May 2017 14:18:04 EST ID:Ya59RsKY No.208087 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>208084
I doubt anyone here uses a thesaurus as they're typing up their posts. But also since you can't spell 'incomprehensible' maybe you aren't the best judge of what words are 'incomprehencible' to most people?

I for one dislike the fact that we seem to have to break down everything to a high-school level or no one seems to be able to follow -- even then, often threads will get derailed by simple misunderstandings that wouldn't happen if people just came in with a higher base level of knowledge. Our conversation always gets dragged down to the lowest common denominator.
>>
Martha Furringworth - Wed, 03 May 2017 07:55:24 EST ID:d4DXKOh3 No.208094 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>208087
I am not talking about having to break things down to high-school levels.

I'm talking about people that take simple concepts and blow them up to absurd blocks of text, just to appear smart.

I am a /psy/ regular, so I have a particular hate towards it.

It's annoying, and as a Dutch guy who studied philosophy in DUTCH, it's incredibly annoying to put a fuckload of mental effort into translating an English post with a fuckload of English philosophy jargon, and then realising that that post said FUCKING NOTHING AT ALL and could easily have said the same thing with 10% of the words.
>>
Albert Blytheshaw - Wed, 03 May 2017 16:02:10 EST ID:Ya59RsKY No.208098 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>208094
Ok, I recognize that going through a language barrier is going to be difficult for you. But did you consider that maybe what you think says nothing at all actually communicates a lot, because of nuances of English that you may not be familiar with?

I know that with the foreign languages I'm familiar with, when I'm looking at a block of text and I can pick out words and general structure and get a gist of what is being talked about, I know I'm missing a tremendous amount of meaning simply because I don't have a native level understanding of the text. I don't go on from that to assume that my simplified understanding of it is actually all it's saying.

In short, you're making an assumption about the motives of people when they expand their ideas into longer form. You assume it is pointless, but maybe there is a point and it is just inaccessible from your way of analyzing their language?
>>
Phyllis Blibberbanks - Thu, 04 May 2017 15:09:01 EST ID:c8ZteX1C No.208108 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>208094
That is unfair but until I learn a new language I won't yet understand all the universals you may as readily let's say
>>
Doris Drollergold - Tue, 09 May 2017 21:09:21 EST ID:7F/kYpEe No.208130 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>208094
"Our conversation always gets dragged down to the lowest common denominator."

That's called progress, and is why it's so hard to make. That's why smaller specialized units are formed and limit access of outsiders, so they can actually get shit done. Yet problems arise due to stagnation and inaccuracy when they cut themselves off too much.
>>
Martha Forringhood - Thu, 11 May 2017 10:09:46 EST ID:qmIpAjjo No.208132 Ignore Report Quick Reply
schools (in the us and canada at least) unintentionally train kids to inflate their wordcount so they can get essays done easier. Often times the only grading metric is proper grammar/spelling, and word/letter count. I bet that's part of why you get posts like this.
>>
John Snodshaw - Thu, 11 May 2017 23:59:42 EST ID:8ZoPLUhY No.208136 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>208132
That's a good point. Rhetoric training should focus more on sentence structure and critical thinking. Grammar should be subject to clarity of ideas expressed.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.