Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Pith, Banter, and Motivation "BELIEVE IN THE YOU YOU BELIEVE IN!" by James Genningfack - Tue, 26 Jun 2018 15:54:42 EST ID:65NWSo4c No.209299 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1530042882103.png -(611668B / 597.33KB, 1600x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 611668
How would you explain the phenomenon of pithy and witty comments usually being derogatory or critical of the subject in question? Whether it's schoolyard banter or a spat between bar-patrons, why is "pith" so overused in the realm of the critical? Wouldn't it be more useful for pith to be used for uplifting and upending comments about someone or something, take the character Kamina, he constantly uplifts the main character Simon in an almost obtuse and unreal way. I feel like this would be where the real potential of pith and banter lies, in raising up your fellows, not putting them down. Or, am I really just trying to tackle an underlying problem of our society as a whole, the contrarian put-downs that plague our conversations and daily lives instead of us all living life to our best abilities and to the fullest, motivating each other.
>>
Martha Pamblelock - Tue, 26 Jun 2018 17:51:41 EST ID:2LwLwSlz No.209300 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Well I think you're conflating a lot of different problems which is why you're getting confused.
For one thing, there's already a term for positive pithiness. It's 'patronizing.' People don't like it much either. Generally in order for motivation to be received as it is intended, there needs to be a balanced power (or at least respect) relationship between the sender and the receiver, and so pithiness and patronization are equally disqualifying.

But, you're right that culture is currently under a plague of contrarian nihilism. We can see this as an inevitable symptom of post-modern malaise, but I can assure you it is nothing more than a fad. I anticipate earnestness will become popular again within 5-10 years, at which point nihilistic 'ironic' contrarianism will be viewed as we do a Flock of Seagulls haircut today.
>>
Lillian Trotbury - Sun, 01 Jul 2018 05:31:44 EST ID:AhoY0+HB No.209302 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>209300
IMO earnestness is already coming back around as a valued trait. everyone got sick of the nihilist bullshit pretty quick at least in my circle, all it does is downplay actual mental illness while making everyone look like a little bitch who can't deal with any of their own problems without posting a meme about it on facebook about drinking themselves half to death.. and then don't even go out and drink themselves to death

what is the point? its gotten so bad where I feel like I need to have an opinion on everything lest I be seen as one of these modern nihilists who "just cant be arsed" to cast a vote based on 15 minutes of research.

I agree with this guy OP, earnestness is going to come back, and it will come back strong, as the economy slowly recovers and people slowly realize, "hey, wait, I can survive with this job making X / hour, I don't have much else of a choice other than doing heroin until I die, so I might as well go work"

most people dont really believe all that nihilist, suicidal garbage at all.

more on topic to your post OP, I think that subversion of positive comments will continue mostly unabashed amongst strangers, acquaintances, and comedy / pop culture because its borne of sarcasm, which is a good tool to make light of a bad situation, and because we gain a sick sense of camaraderie from hearing that our peers have some things worse off than us.

If everyone only went around giving each other legitimate compliments.. I don't know. I think I would like to see what that world looks like. But I don't think I would want to live in it. It sounds a little sterile, if you know what I mean. Maybe I'm too indoctrinated by our current norms to possibly fit in, but it seems like it would devalue the happiness or satisfaction you feel when you do get a real compliment.

not everyone gets along, and thats probably an unavoidable fact, so its a good thing IMO to have a sharp, potent reward for stumbling upon a group of people who are all really into the same thing as you, eg, acceptance in the place of light mockery
>>
Hamilton Pucklelure - Sun, 01 Jul 2018 16:33:35 EST ID:kiUYn++k No.209303 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Nihilism is babby's first realization of the total nothingness that underlies the human imaginary. It opens a rupture that allows us to, for the first time, actually question the knowledge we've received. It let's us say, "hey, wait a sec, the pastor who told me that God wrote the Bible and wants us to interpret it literally was just straight up bullshitting me." It's an important realization, but it can't stop there.

You have to define your own values, and I think people actually are beginning to do so. That's what the transvaluation of values is all about. Recognizing the void that underlies them while choosing the ones which you can actually have faith in, which could make the world (or just your own individual existence) better off.

The important thing is that nihilism is a necessary step toward self-creation. You have to burn yourself up in order to rise from the ashes like a phoenix.
>>
Beatrice Hudgebury - Wed, 04 Jul 2018 20:40:08 EST ID:ogjfl7YN No.209321 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1530751208141.png -(133066B / 129.95KB, 768x1024) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Because such wit relies on provoking an emotional reaction in order to draw attention to the quality of the wordplay.

By the same token, the punchline of a wordy, sophisticated joke should always be a swear word or exposed genitalia.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.