420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
GC/MS and RCs by Emma Blenkinridge - Tue, 12 Sep 2017 19:06:37 EST ID:nBJElm78 No.881269 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1505257597462.jpg -(61744B / 60.30KB, 408x650) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 61744
would 4-AcO-MET show up on a gc/ms scan that wasn't specifically testing for it? (like could it maybe show up as psilocin or something)
>>
Charlotte Pannerwell - Tue, 12 Sep 2017 21:00:49 EST ID:2j9zxonq No.881274 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>881269
do you even know what a gcms is?
>>
Eugene Snodford - Tue, 12 Sep 2017 22:28:08 EST ID:nBJElm78 No.881276 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>881274
I have a pretty loose understanding of how it works, I know they do some sort of enzyme reaction before they get to the real scan, so I was wondering if maybe that step could maybe give a false positive for a similar substance.

I don't fucking know dude. Im just paranoid. Educate me?
>>
Edward Fallersid - Tue, 12 Sep 2017 23:10:06 EST ID:yHUaQLLV No.881279 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1505272206485.jpg -(75215B / 73.45KB, 1193x542) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>881276
if you're not sure about something, you could look it up if you are curious rather than asking someone to look it up for you (which requires much more effort than just looking it up yourself)

we can't do anything to make you learn something, aside from help you find your own answers
>>
Eugene Snodford - Tue, 12 Sep 2017 23:16:39 EST ID:nBJElm78 No.881280 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1505272599791.jpg -(65151B / 63.62KB, 500x368) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>881279
i have looked it up. I read a couple things about it but they helped my understanding minimally as they used a lot of scientific jargon that isn't part of my vocabulary.

I was hoping someone here might give me the laymans explaination, or at least give me a simple answer to my original question. I don't think thats too much to ask

In the time it takes for you to lecture me on looking things up for myself you could have told me a little bit of what you know about it. If you have something better to do why are you commenting in my thread? Im not trying to be a dick but i just don't understand the point in hassling someone over a simple question.
>>
Edward Fallersid - Wed, 13 Sep 2017 02:23:38 EST ID:yHUaQLLV No.881289 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>881280
>In the time it takes for you to lecture me on looking things up for myself you could have told me a little bit of what you know about it.
I posted a picture for you that shows you that multiple substances can show up on the mass spectrum, which does in fact answer your question.
Hopefully you come around instead of focusing on the fact that I encouraged you to find your own answers, otherwise I don't think anyone can help you.
https://www.gmu.edu/depts/SRIF/tutorial/gcd/gc-ms2.htm
>>
Eugene Snodford - Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:53:06 EST ID:nBJElm78 No.881300 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1505321586791.jpg -(41139B / 40.17KB, 577x757) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>881289
I knew the picture was related but without any context and my minimal knowledge it doesn't mean much. After reading a good bit of that link I understand it a lot better so thank you. Most of what I found on my own wasn't as clear, maybe im just a shitty googler.

Despite reading that though I'm still unclear as to the likelyhood of an MET base substance showing up on a DMT or DMT derived scan. I don't really know a ton about chemistry but I imagine they would be close enough thered be some spikes in similar areas, but without a 4-aco-MET reference what would they be likely to conclude?
>>
Isabella Brendermick - Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:59:32 EST ID:Z3Nu3nM6 No.881301 Ignore Report Quick Reply
My cousin is a chem major, about to have his BA in the spring of 2018.
From what I understand about the conversations we have had, GC/MS stands for Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry.
*I believe* that the way it works is more less the sample is separated into gasses and spread out molecule by molecule. The machine can then read what the molecules are in the air more less by a positive or negative reading (i.e. you were looking for 4-Ho -MET so if its a postive reading, its there)
I believe there are more complicated terms and instructions with this but thats more less the general concept.
Even then, an experienced lab chemist should be able to extrapolate data from the readings and deduce what the chemical was or at least the general structure of it.

If you're sending your stuff off to something like epill reports or xtcdata then i think they should be able to tell you what you've got.
generally speaking, they can figure out more tryptamine structures easily because all(unless im mistaken) tryptamines are indole psychedelic drugs meaning once they have a general idea, the can perform a few tests to rule out possibilities.
I think their machines have a harder time when its something really new and out there like strange cathinones,weird phenethylamines or synthetic canabinoids.
>>
Esther Papperstuck - Wed, 13 Sep 2017 17:06:11 EST ID:7YQTIZC+ No.881303 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>881301
They generally analyse an enormous list of potential known compounds and then analysts try and determine its exact make up from nearest matches. If you work on one of those machines all day you learn what common chemicals like MDMA look like. They can tell you you have some weird chemical that the machine doesn't recognise. There is no real reason to know any more. you choose between taking homeless poison or throwing it away. it doesn't really matter what the chemical make up of the substance it is since the effects of taking it recreationally won't be documented.
>>
Jarvis Crinkinnadge - Mon, 18 Sep 2017 23:34:07 EST ID:hVnUptQX No.881463 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>881301
wouldn't some really common shit like tryptophan show up as similar to an indole psychedelic?
>>
Fanny Barringsure - Tue, 19 Sep 2017 17:30:45 EST ID:7OBsp/5q No.881496 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>881463
i don't see why it would. something would likely have to be much more similar in structure than that to cause a false positive.

actually, just looking it up right now i found this:
"GC-MS has been regarded as a "gold standard" for forensic substance identification because it is used to perform a 100% specific test, which positively identifies the presence of a particular substance. A nonspecific test merely indicates that any of several in a category of substances is present. Although a nonspecific test could statistically suggest the identity of the substance, this could lead to false positive identification."

i suppose it depends on how specific the test is. I really doubt somebody looking for indole psychedelics would use a test so nonspecific that something like tryptophan could generate a false positive though. the test would be far too inconclusive to be of any real value
>>
Jarvis Crinkinnadge - Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:47:38 EST ID:hVnUptQX No.881503 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>881496
I'm just trying to figure out if there is any chance that 4-AcO-MET could be found in a sample that is not specifically being tested for it (but is being tested for other indole psychedelics).

I am aware it would not show up as a false positive do to the precision of GC/MS however my question is it will have similar enough properties that it may look similar to another indole psychedelic, thus prompting more tests to see what it is exactly.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.