420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
schizo shitzu by Charles Biggleladging - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 02:25:33 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519358 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1507875933807.png -(1154401B / 1.10MB, 2560x1440) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 1154401
how do I get rid of schizophrenia without taking medication or getting a labotomy (because I don't trust doctors)
>>
Hamilton Crallerstick - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 02:32:00 EST ID:75JiCJp0 No.519359 Ignore Report Quick Reply
watch "A Beautiful Mind", there's a scene when he talks to the hallucinations and he ignores them or something then he's ok. I don't remember how it goes but I'm sure this movie can help
if not it's still a good movie
>>
Augustus Mublingcocke - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 09:52:44 EST ID:YGHBJQ7s No.519362 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Look into the hearing voices network for material on how to talk to your voices and make sense of what they are trying to tell you.
>>
Phoebe Fubbledale - Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:31:16 EST ID:3qSLtzLv No.519367 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519358
you can't, but you can find a medication that you like, there is a whole range of them.

If your voices are friendly then you can just live with it, a lot of people do. But if they are assholes it is probably best to find a medication that you are ok with and use that
>>
Emma Fanway - Sat, 14 Oct 2017 21:21:26 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519404 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508030486301.jpg -(88859B / 86.78KB, 400x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>519359
ok
>>519362
i don't get voices, i just phase out of reality and see visions. i imagine them as being my dreams infiltrating real life but sometimes they're punishment that trap me forcing me to solve puzzles for hours and i can't wake up from these. those are the most annoying ones. these are while i'm awake and completely sober.
>>519367
ok
>>
Nell Pongerturk - Sat, 14 Oct 2017 21:28:01 EST ID:yEoxX0eq No.519405 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519404
How are your visions? What kind of puzzles?
Have you ever read something by Philip K Dick?
>>
Martha Hurryham - Sun, 15 Oct 2017 20:33:28 EST ID:kAEKpfyQ No.519431 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519358
Try and find a professional Shaman who can help you. I'm not superstitious or anything like that, but based on treatment outcomes I consider this a perfectly logical choice. The western "treatment" of schizophrenia is barbaric compared to how they deal with it in places like western Africa.
>>
Priscilla Shittingbury - Sun, 15 Oct 2017 23:00:52 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519435 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508122852371.png -(277066B / 270.57KB, 800x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>519405
I had one today. I got stuck in this state and I was trying to drink water that didn't exist because I was conscious that my throat was dry but the water wasn't actually there. I could have been doing other things but it's hazy.
I was in this state for a few hours. I had really loud music playing on my computer that would keep me from being in this state for too long (like, I would hear a noise like the sound of a guitar rift from a song I like or a line from a song that would snap me out of it) but my mother unplugged my speakers so I was stuck semi-conscious trying to grab imaginary water and trying to call for help for a while lol.
I snapped out of it when I heard my phone vibrate when someone was texting me.
It's like being in a hypnotic state somewhat.
Never heard of the guy, sorry.
>>519431
I agree. Kind of not all on board with the shaman thing since I'm Christian and don't believe in those pagan beliefs but I could go research ways other cultures deal with this.
>>
dr. m !gWLn19/oKs - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 05:47:05 EST ID:ha6d2DOi No.519441 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519431

This is SO true.

I've never suffered from full on mental illness (meaning no mental illness that results in a sensually warped sense of reality, where you see/hear/smell etc. things that just aren't real), but I can understand how difficult that must be.

Shamans generally agree that most schizos would have likely been medium/Shaman candidates in their communities if they hadn't been locked up or medicated into oblivion. I'm not sure if I agree with that statistically wise, but clearly it's a better way to deal with these people.

If you legitimize why they're experiencing this stuff, give them guidance from another effective schizo who somehow has their life together (professional shaman who happens to be schizo), and are presented a life approach that constantly reminds the schizo that violence is never the answer and negativity in all its forms is a disease at some level, it's very likely it might actually work.

This is better than the US method of underfunded programs so we can only afford to hand out cheap pills. Often times there's literally zero work or effort put into narrowing down which specific drugs should be used (such as a particular drug because of a measurable deficiency directly related). They (the docs) just list the symptoms and often try a relevant drug because they're just comfortable using it (french for "the drug companies pushed it like crazy since the 90s and I used to totally get kickbacks for it, but those stopped because laws so I just script it now because I know it best"), not because it's the superior med.

If you pay attention, doctors often support scripting one drug over another for no fucking rhyme or reason. This is super apparent with benzo prescriptions. To one doc, xanax is the devil and they will only script klonopin. To another doctor, valium is the devil, Ativan is all they're willing to prescribe long term, but xanax is somehow the safest for short term. Often there's zero rhyme or reason here. They're all nearly equal in danger potential of different things for different reasons, yet these doctors genuinely believe that one is better for their patients over the other.

I'm not anti-pills, but that can't be the primary answer. It's just that nobody wants to pay for REAL treatment of others in the US. The average schizo can't afford to pay for schizo treatment, because chances are they're fucking dysfunctional because of the schizophrenia. We actually expect these people to pay for their own healthcare instead of self medicating with weed, booze, possibly opioids and benzos, etc. because those are the only affordable alternatives. It's so fucked.
>>
Priscilla Shittingbury - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 06:53:06 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519442 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519405
Oh I forgot to mention what the puzzles were. They're like these long, convoluted number puzzles that never end.
>>
Emma Shakeridge - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:58:47 EST ID:WozaXgtK No.519445 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519441
>full on mental illness
The word for this is psychosis. That's the concise definition. I thought you might find that useful.

Schizophrenia is a physiological brain problem though. I agree just throwing meds at a problem is often not the solution and meds should be used to give people enough function for actual treatment to occur most of the time. However with schitzophrenia things like coping mechanisms, a healthy diet and sleeping pattern, exercise and stuff, things that absolutely should be integral to everyone's lives but might not be practiced will all have a relatively small effect. They are worth doing regardless.

The shaman thing is an interesting idea but we don't really know if it's any good. I haven't met anyone who had their life together while being prone to schitzophrenia though people with other psychosis inducing illnesses can function if there are allowances for them going off the grid. Often they're taught minimise the damage, alert others and reduce the effects, they learn to see when it's coming and so on. People with manic depression who can sense when they're about to swing one way or the other and can warn their carer and a couple of friends before it gets too bad, and with the right help will have learned what they need to tell those people and ensured those people are ready to do whats' needed. That all helps and professional help aside from meds includes learning all those things.
>>
Priscilla Shittingbury - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 15:14:51 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519455 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508181291371.jpg -(97666B / 95.38KB, 1024x1024) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Update: I spoke with my mother about the event and she said that I had been talking to her about some errands I needed to do at the grocery store though I don't remember a thing about it.
This isn't the first time I was stuck in this weird faux-reality state while my real life body was consciously doing stuff. It's really weird and strange and annoying and I have no idea why it happens.
My diet is okay. I'm on the lowest end of the healthy weight spectrum and I sleep plenty.
>Often they're taught minimise the damage, alert others and reduce the effects, they learn to see when it's coming and so on
When I was younger and first experiencing this stuff when I was younger, my mother had just told me to shut up and that I was trying to garner attention. It was later diagnosed as schizophrenia by a doctor when she tried to send me off to a mental ward. I did use to have a friend when I was younger who would recognize when I was entering this state and he'd snap me out of it but my mother got rid of him because she didn't like it when I hung out with people lol.
As for recognizing it coming on, that's impossible. It just happens at random. And when I'm in this state, I can't use my body at all. It's like playing with an RC car but the car is out of range so you can't control it.
I can semi-function well with it as long as I'm listening to repetitive noises that can snap me back to reality but often times that's difficult to do at all times.
I'm not entirely sure how a coping mechanism would help.
>>
Emma Shakeridge - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:57:52 EST ID:WozaXgtK No.519459 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519455
A coping mechanism doesn't have to be internal. It could be reinstating decent friends, or teaching your smother to recognise and snap you out of it.
>>
Martin Smallridge - Mon, 16 Oct 2017 23:59:49 EST ID:GHzh7vt/ No.519464 Ignore Report Quick Reply
OP, I typed out a big giant post for you but the board ate. I'll do my best to retype the important parts.

Basically, you don't need to see a psychiatrist if you don't want to. The medications for schizophrenia are heavy stuff with some shitty side effects. Treatment is better than it used to be, but that doesn't say much. Still, you don't have to worry about a lobotomy! They don't do that anymore. Also no involuntary electroshock like you see in A Beautiful Mind (watch that movie!), though electroshock is useful for some things even today. I've heard of it being used to treat chronic, treatment-resistance depression. There's a great, classic book: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle scientist. It's about a brilliant professor of rhetoric (or philosphy; I forget) who loses his mind, meaning semi-catatonic, and he takes some intense electroshock. It gave him a new personality, or as he puts it in the book, he "became a new personality."

Anyway, I digress. The point is, you don't have to worry about any of that crazy shit. Schizophrenia is treated with two main things: medication (which I would personally avoid for reasons mentioned, but if it ever gets bad, you might wish you had it available) and therapy. Therapy doesn't involve pills! Therapy does't mean strait jackets and forced injections! Most therapists and counselors don't even have a medical degree, which is what lets doctors write prescriptions. Psychiatrists are people with a medical degree in addition to their knowledge of mental illness and how to treat it. But if they scare you, that's understandable.

What I want you to do is find a regular therapist. Doesn't have to be a psychiatrist! It could be if you want, but it doesn't have to be. Just find a therapist. I bet there's there's a few in your area or nearby. You need to find one that you're comfortable with. It might take a few sessions with different ones before you find one that fits you. In therapy, all you're doing is talking. That's it. You just talk to the therapist about your problems and anything you need help with in your head, and they can use their specialized training to give you an objective analysis of what's going on. That's all there is to it! It can really do wonders. Especially with an illness like schizophrenia, where you can have trouble telling what's real and what's not, it is invaluable to have an objective expert like a therapist to give you advice and mental strategies you can use to cope with the weird stuff your mind does sometimes.

There's no cure (yet), but you can always learn to cope better! That's what you should focus on. Coping better. A good therapist that you like can help you quite a bit with that. If possible, maybe try looking around for one that specializes in schizophrenia. Also, if you haven't already done so, make an appointment with your general practitioner (family doctor, that kind of thing) and get a general exam and have some blood work done to test for anything abnormal. Couldn't hurt. While you're there, you might mention your struggle with mental illness. No need to be embarrassed, and if he wants to give your antipsychotics, it's no problem if you don't want them. You can just take the prescription and not get it filled. But it might be useful to have them around if you should have a really bad episode and can't get back to reality. Anyway, if you do mention your mental illness to your GP, he may be able to refer you to some local therapists or a counseling agency.

The idea of therapy for something like this is that you'll learn better how to recognize when your brain is doing weird stuff and what you can do to manage it. Like, my problem is that I'm depressed and anxious all the time. So I've learned to identify both external and internal triggers, and how to change the path my brain is one if I realize I'm spiraling too much into a painful emotional state. I know it's different, and it sounds much harder and more complicated, but I bet you can learn some things you can do to deal with dissociation and delusions and all that fun stuff.

Beyond that, a therapist might be able to analyze your mind as a whole and figure out why this is happening to you. Maybe not; schizophrenia, like a lot of mental illnesses, does not have any definite, proven cause. But it could be a result of stress, or something physiological, or something psychological. No way to know for certain until you've tried everything, but it wouldn't be unheard of for your mental problems to be the result of some underlying issue, whether physical, mental, or social. Again, getting a physical exam and talking to a therapist could help determine (or at least rule-out) these possible sources of your schizophrenia.

I skimmed this thread, and there was some talk about seeing shamans. I think that's a great idea, but do be careful. Shamans don't have the oversight that square health professionals. Some of them are great, some of them are nice but misguided, and some just want your money and couldn't give two shits about you. But totally give it a shot. It's kind of like finding the right therapist. Gotta find one you connect with, who can help with your particular issues, and who isn't a greedy, lying scumbag with an agenda. I guess that goes for people in general, haha!

>>519459
This too. Having people that care about you around is always a good idea.

In conclusion, good luck! Mental illness is a bitch to live with, but that means that every day you stay sane and function, you're winning! You're a fucking soldier, man. Never forget how strong you are to fight for the mastery of your soul. Much love.
>>
Martin Smallridge - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 00:01:40 EST ID:GHzh7vt/ No.519465 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Oh yeah, I meant to include this.

Fun fact: Humans are the only species known to exhibit schizophrenia. Ain't that just cooky?
>>
Hedda Hushhood - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 01:49:57 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519468 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519465
I wouldn't know. I've always experienced being detached from reality since I was a kid and my mother said I was normal like everyone else.
It was just worrying me lately because I was stuck in a semi-conscious state waiting until I could take control of my body for a few hours and this was the first time I was ever physically in pain while doing it (a very dry throat).
I have a lot of water bottles in my room but apparently I wasn't actually drinking from them and I wasn't using my real body.

As for your previous post, the lobotomy thing was kind of a joke about that alice in wonderland video game sequel lol.
Would these therapy sessions cost a lot of money or anything? My parents have loads of dosh but I've been NEET for a while and they don't give me an allowance (which sucks. I had planned to go to college with my old friends a while ago but they said I should pay for it myself. I guess it's a blessing in disguise because I don't have to worry about snapping out of reality in public too much or whatever.)
The thing about my "episodes" is that I am somewhat unconscious when they occur. My body is doing something on auto-pilot and my mind is trying to figure out how to go back into controlling my body. I cannot see or hear what's going on in my body when they occur and there are no signs beforehand other than feeling as though everything's slightly hazy for a few seconds before it happens. Sometimes I can immediately snap out of it when that happens but sometimes I succumb, like someone being hypnotized or something, and I'm trapped again trying to get back to my body.

I doubt I had schizophrenia due to a mental, physical, or social issue. Mentally, I feel fine. I'm always happy. Physically, I'm slim. And socially, I know a lot of people who try to text me but I ignore them for the most part. I'm not the social type.

I think of shamans as a guide for meditating on yourself so maybe they're helpful. I hope they'd be better than those damn "psychics" in DC lol.

I guess therapy would be the best option. I had planned to get that done a few years ago but I really hope there was something for this like how ADHDers have figer cubes and spinners and shit. I'm not that big on the whole talking to others about it since I've only met one person (who was said ex-friend) who took it seriously and not as a joke or something to dismiss. That's why I'm asking here and not confiding it with anyone I know since I didn't want to chafe their nerves with stuff they probably don't care about (or will believe me about) and since I suspected others would have faced the same issue and could give advice. But I'll look into the therapy option if I can, thanks.
>>
Martin Smallridge - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 03:44:31 EST ID:GHzh7vt/ No.519472 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519468
Well, good luck man. Therapy does cost money. If you have insurance, or you're on your parent's insurance, it shouldn't be too bad. You should ask your parents for help financially if you need it, just to pay for the therapy. I'm sure they would be understanding. Explain to them that this is for your health and well-being. Tell them that you want to be at your best so that you can go to college or get a job or whatever. Even if it's bullshit! If they're really stubborn, or think it's a waste of money, you can convince them to pay for it, I bet.

Therapy isn't that expensive anyway. Like $30-$100 (before insurance) a session, depending on expertise. And you can see them whenever you want: weekly, biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, etc. Sessions last for half an hour, an hour, two hours, whatever works for you and the therapist and your goals in the therapy.

Even if you're afraid of psychiatrists, don't discount them entirely when looking for a therapist! Remember that doctors a people too, like you and me! They just have more schooling and the right to prescribe pills. But you are always the supreme authority on what goes into your body and what you're willing to try or do. You're the patient. You're a sovereign individual, and you can absolutely tell the psychiatrist that you do not want to take any pills. If they get pushy on that, understand that he might have a point, but you're still in charge and can do whatever you want. Certainly there are many psychiatrists, probably the majority, who would gladly acquiesce to whatever the hell their patient wants, as long as it's not dangerous to them of course. I'm just trying to reassure you because psychiatrists are typically more highly educated and professional (and more expensive) than therapists/counselors, therefore they would likely be best equipped to help you. Hopefully, you find one who can give you a name and pathology for the particular symptoms of your condition. That would be a good sign that you found a person who understands what's going on and how to help you. Psychiatrists go to school for a long time, and therapists (without medical/psychiatric degree) also go to school for a decent amount of time, so hopefully you quickly talk to someone who immediately recognizes your condition.

If you're folks have plenty of money and are willing to pay for your treatment, as they should, then I would suggest first consulting with your family doctor, who should be able to refer you to specialists of some kind. Do your own research too, of course. As I said, it can take time before you find a therapist that really clicks with you.

I'm sad to hear that you don't feel much like socializing. I'm the same dang way, and it kinda sucks, for me at least. I don't know how you feel about it. On one hand I like being along because it feels liberating. I can do whatever I want and I don't have to explain anything, and nobody bothers me. On the other hand I get very lonely and bored and wish I had somebody to... I guess bother me lol. I've had bad social anxiety for a long long time, and of the past several years I pushed people away because of that and depression. Anyway it just makes me kind of sad to hear that from you because, having been so lonely for a long time, I know how damaging it is to your psyche to be too lonely and not talk to people, even if you really don't want to and think you don't need to. I understand you're not a social person, and I'm not either, but I just wanna say that people are really important and helpful and you do have to put some basic level of energy into being social sometimes or people might forget you and move on and then you're alone. Maybe I'm projecting. Oh well.

You rock dude!
>>
Sophie Canningwill - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 04:53:54 EST ID:VUj4Cb1h No.519474 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508230434991.jpg -(684322B / 668.28KB, 2500x2500) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>519468
hey I just wanted to say that you seem like a really smart guy and you should try and do something really cool with your life. you would probably succeed, as long as you care about whatever it is that you were doing.

take cold showers, practice self-control, and find any excuse to get outside of the house.
>>
George Dedgeshaw - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 23:36:53 EST ID:zbKXnohS No.519484 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519465
Schizophrenia is primarily a syndrome of language dysfunction. Not of hallucinations or delusions as is the common parlance. Other animals cannot use complex language like we can and thus do not open themselves up to the trap of developing a disorder in which this process can go awry.
>>
Lillian Hurringtet - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 23:59:26 EST ID:3k5pCKDY No.519485 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519474

acupuncture is not quackery
>>
Rebecca Bluppernudging - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 03:20:08 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519488 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519472
Personally, I'm apathetic to friendship. A lot of people try to contact me online but I just ignore their messages for the most part because I don't see the point. It's all pointless banalities. I get no enjoyment out of it but I still have to do it because there's some people I actually have to talk to which I think it sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do.
It's kind of unrelated to the topic but w/e.
>>519484
I think I was misdiagnosed and I don't exactly know what's my issue but that was the verdict. I mean, I assume it's similar to what those people used to claim after they murder someone and don't remember (the whole not being in my body while I do things bull) but I don't study psychology so I don't know what that's actually called.
I can have auditory hallucinations but they're very rare and fleeting and it's more like humming noises (like string instruments). My hallucinations are mainly visual. I know people with actual schizophrenia hear voices mocking them but I don't really hear voices. Maybe when I was 12 or so I would hear laughter now and then but that's been years ago since I've heard actual human voices.
>>
Wesley Lightgold - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 10:20:04 EST ID:CpVeH1X0 No.519492 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519485

well, it sort of is though.

Needling shows an affect, sure. But there's no difference between between proper acupuncture, and sham acupuncture (needling people at random points on their body and telling people people it's meridians). That strongly suggests it's a placebo, but at the very least, acupuncturists are operating under a false theory as to how it actually works.

Nothing wrong with placebos though. If you have chronic pain, go with whatever works for you.
>>
Molly Bavingfuck - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 13:28:10 EST ID:WozaXgtK No.519494 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519485
I thought it funny that dungeons and dragons was a religious conspiracy.

I assume it means that the notion that you sell your soul and it's a conspiracy rather than a product owned by Hasbro.

I also wasn't sure if the notion of MKULTRA existing is the everything, or the idea that it'd actually work is. Given the arrogance and stupidity of many government and military minds throughout ages it's hard to imagine they wouldn't try something like that given enough free reign and budget.

It was a cool picture though.

nb for tangential.
>>
George Dedgeshaw - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 19:02:47 EST ID:zbKXnohS No.519499 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519494
MKUltra was perfectly real and you can find many declassified documents relating to it in the national archives. The undue obsession placed onto it, using as a crutch etc "Well dem goverments did those brain control 'periments fifty years ago must mean they did 9/11 too!" and so on is what is quackery.
>>
Martha Darringnidge - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 23:48:52 EST ID:3k5pCKDY No.519502 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519492

that's wrong though. acupuncture has a higher rate of success than placebo treatments.
>>
Oliver Honeyford - Thu, 19 Oct 2017 00:56:37 EST ID:CpVeH1X0 No.519503 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519502

No it's not. It's like anything... you can find a study here or there that's an outlier that shows a small difference, but reviews of the research keep showing that on the whole sham and real acupuncture have the same effect.

Sure, acupuncture outperforms sugarpill placebo, but so does sham acupuncture.

What seems to be most important is the amount of time/attention a provider is giving the patient. There's one study out there that looked at different methods acupuncturists use. If it was real you'd expect different locations/methods/choices by the practitioner would lead to better or worse outcomes. The only link they could find to better outcomes was the number of needles used... more=better. The more attention you give the patient, the more invested they are in their placebo (which bears out with other placebo studies... a fake injection gets bigger results than a fake pill).

I'll keep saying there's nothing wrong with using the placebo effect to people's advantage. It's probably better than dropping opiates on people who don't need them... but it's still a placebo.
>>
Martha Darringnidge - Thu, 19 Oct 2017 18:24:00 EST ID:3k5pCKDY No.519524 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519503

you're wrong though. acupuncture has higher success rates than sham acupuncture.
>>
Caroline Tillingfoot - Thu, 19 Oct 2017 19:06:18 EST ID:peQyLXgg No.519526 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519524

A systematic review of studies, since that holds more weight than a single study. Note their finding that more invasive sham acupuncture show even less difference, suggesting that controls need to be refined, because patients are seeing through the toothpick shams.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1925000

For a non pain condition. In case you believe in some of the broader claims:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4996090/

Just for fun, here's one where sham actually outperforms real:
http://journals.lww.com/clinicalpain/pages/articleviewer.aspx?year=2008&issue=03000&article=00005&type=abstract
>>
Emma Faddlefuck - Fri, 20 Oct 2017 01:30:47 EST ID:3k5pCKDY No.519527 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519526

dude your random-ass cherry picking of these articles reveals your ignorance of the topic. not talking shit. just saying. the first link appears to be broken or incorrect somehow. as to the 2nd and 3rd,

>The effectiveness of traditional Chinese acupuncture in relation to sham acupuncture for the treatment of hot flashes in menopausal women with breast cancer. Slight superiority of traditional acupuncture compared with sham acupuncture was observed; however, there were no strong statistical associations.

>Systematic Review of the (Cost-)effectiveness of Spinal Cord Stimulation for People With Failed Back Surgery Syndrome

Wow, you mean poking needles into the tissue can't cure FAILED SURGERY syndrome? Where the spinal cord is fucked beyond repair? What else, it can't fix menopause? Well then it just must be a total crock of shit! My opioids can block the pain and this needle shit can't!

Here's what you gotta fucking comprehend dude. I'm not saying acupuncture is a magical cure-all. It has limits. Spinal cord injuries, menopause, cancer, and things like that, are not curable through acupuncture. Obviously. However, sprains, strains, spams, nerve irritation or inflammation, appetite problems, sleep problems, these can be cured through acupuncture. Look at real vs. sham acupuncture in the musculoskeletal/nervous/metabolic realm and you will see its validity.
>>
Walter Choshham - Fri, 20 Oct 2017 01:35:25 EST ID:zbKXnohS No.519528 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519527
Considering we're facing down a painkiller epidemic in America I see no reason why advocating for something that may or may not work but possesses no addictive potential can't be a bad thing.
>>
Martin Fummerchork - Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:27:22 EST ID:C17JW9km No.519529 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519527

Truly sorry... I was phoneposting and somehow fucked up the links. I wasn't trying to say that acupuncture was meant to fix spinal injury. I'll repost using different link to the same articles:

Remember, the first one is a review of many Sham vs Real. But there are many versions of sham, and the point of it is that they're finding that better designed sham shows no difference. Poorly designed sham shows slight difference.
#1: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Howard_Moffet/publication/24144667_Sham_Acupuncture_May_Be_as_Efficacious_as_True_Acupuncture_A_Systematic_Review_of_Clinical_Trials/links/09e4150a51ae7241ad000000.pdf

#2: What you're quoting saying it's within statistical noise, which is what I've been saying. It also concludes with talking about poorly designed studies. The one I meant to link was a larger, more recent study. http://dx.doi.org/10.7326/M15-1380

#3: Sham beats real for repetitive stress injury. http://www.clinicalpain.com/pt/re/clnjpain/abstract.00002508-200803000-00005.htm

Fuck me if these links are broken again.

>>519528
I agree. If someone can get relief from an elaborate placebo, it's way better than using opiates.
>>
Walter Fundlesidging - Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:57:57 EST ID:lIGmCb/T No.519530 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519524
no it doesn't
>>
Walter Fundlesidging - Fri, 20 Oct 2017 11:00:07 EST ID:lIGmCb/T No.519531 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519528
as long as it is only used for pain, nausea and mild depression, that's great. The placebo affect has been proven to work very very well for all these things. The problem is they are using it for ridiculous things, like acne and cancer.

And it isn't harmless, if the needles aren't sterilized properly you can get very serious infections.
>>
Fuck Snodson - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 05:42:26 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519545 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508578946867.jpg -(772081B / 753.99KB, 2560x1707) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>519527
My mother is an acupuncturist and you're right: Acupuncture can help alleviate pains from sprains, muscle strain (probably, I've never seen this one used so far nor have I seen it used on spasms), inflammation by using larger needles to move blood elsewhere, a similar tactic used for clearing varicose veins (but different don't get me wrong), supposedly appetite and I have seen her use it on insomnia. Generally appetite disorders are given herbal remedies rather than acupuncture to fix because of some thing about elements in herbs and yadda yadda idfk but some herbs stimulate appetite or whatever.
It could help alleviate pain in the spinal cord but not heal it, don't know about menopause it, and she claims it could help cancer as long as the patient isn't late stage and is trying to help themselves as well (since a lot of patients late stage are too weak to take care of themselves.)
>>519531
People who do acupuncture (legally) have a medical license so they should know this.
>>519531
You usually eat something for nausea, she constantly tells me to consider dumping a whole load of salt in my mouth when I'm nauseous. To be honest, I don't think she studied the nausea section of her book well because when I'm sick on the stomach, she usually gives me stuff that makes it worse. She says there's points on the hand you can press instead of needling though and somewhere on your ear. I think there's a lifehack about pressing part of your mouth or your face or something.
My advice though is lemons. They generally help me.
I've never heard her talk about curing depression through acupuncture. My mother studied psychology before acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine and she says that changing environmental factors are the best way to solve depression.

Another thing is that people who study acupuncture are complete weirdos and a lot of them I wouldn't trust having them stick needles in me. One time, I came home and she had an entire congregation of witches (and one of the witch's daughter) and some acupuncturists and TCM doctors and shit and one of them, a Taiwanese lady with an ensemble of small Chinese instruments like drums and bowls and a flute was talking about how she could use them to change the aura of a place through the vibrations of the instruments and then she got everyone in the room to play them and it sounded awful but I guess this is what they do. There's others that claim they've been abducted by aliens regularly and one who failed her final medical board test after her daughter, who she raised extremely poorly, went missing (go figure).
I don't know why TCM attracts this crowd but yeah a lot of them are Flim-Flammers or whacks. All very attractive and thin but with the worst personalities.
>>
Lillian Brellerman - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 06:50:20 EST ID:WozaXgtK No.519546 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519545
For nausea and stomach problems ginger often helps. Smoking pot is the best symptomatic remedy for such problems in my experience but ginger is much cheaper, legal,easier to get and it doesn't make you stoned (which is a problem if you've got shit to do or are working) so it's much more likely to be an option you can actually use.

nb for off topic
>>
James Hacklelit - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 13:04:13 EST ID:3k5pCKDY No.519550 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519545

ive met a fully educated and licensed chiropractor with a thriving practice who would literally "ask your body a question", then push on the person's feet, and whichever foot flopped back down further, would give an answer to his question
>>
Fuck Snodson - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 13:30:15 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519551 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508607015867.jpg -(30548B / 29.83KB, 480x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>519550
My mother and myself and Seinfeld also agree that chiropractors are bullshitters.
>>519546
Yes, she recommends me ginger when I'm nauseous but that always makes me puke even more. My nausea is caused by too much stomach acid so maybe ginger is for a different kind of nausea.
>>
Lillian Brellerman - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 15:05:15 EST ID:WozaXgtK No.519552 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519551
You have acid reflux?

Yeah ginger is just good low key stuff, travel sickness, something you ate disagrees very slightly, nerves, that sort of thing. Stuff that's not so much a disease as a dis ease you know?

I did a quick google, it seems to be inconclusive but leaning "better than placebo" but it literally calms the stomach (and helps you shit a bit) so it's not going to help with acid. In fact it can actually cause heartburn.
>>
Ernest Smallford - Sat, 21 Oct 2017 20:48:19 EST ID:cZog3pyb No.519556 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519358
hi i have not been following the thread but i just want to say I hope you are doing fine schizoOP
>>
Archie Brallernot - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 03:32:42 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519562 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508657562711.jpg -(79823B / 77.95KB, 941x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>519556
Thanks. I'm still waiting until I can wake up 100% right now.
>>
Betsy Bungerket - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 03:43:03 EST ID:h/1sxUpj No.519564 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519359
Yeah, I'm sure that one scene from that one movie will totally cure OP's schizophrenia. I'm sure you mean well, but that's flat out retarded to think you can just ignore the hallucinations and they'll go away.

>>519362
>material on how to talk to your voices and make sense of what they are trying to tell you

So basically just integrate with your delusions and accept that they're trying to convey real information? Sounds like great advice, dude. I know OP said they don't hear voices, but this is still amazingly bad advice.

>>519367
I read the whole thread, and this is probably the best post in my opinion.

By all means try therapy, but the symptoms you're describing are not usually the kind of thing that can be remedied with behavioural therapy. It might be worth pointing out that if you don't have an official diagnosis as schizophrenic (and even if you do) there are a lot of conditions that can have similar symptoms. What you're describing sounds a lot like a catatonic state (take this with a grain of salt like everything on this board of course). These are typically not treated with antipsychotics.

OP, you should look into the law in your area. I'm not from the USA, here if I were to go to a doctor complaining of these symptoms I'd be referred to psychiatrist and as long as nothing I said suggested that I was a danger to myself or others any treatment would be voluntary. I'd be able to try a range of drugs and decide if they were effective and tolerable. It can take a while to find the right dose, and sometimes side effects do get better with time. I'd have the choice to discontinue treatment at any time, and if there was no suggestion that I was a danger to myself or others could not be involuntarily committed.
You want to check that this is the case in the Yoosa though.
>>
Hannah Ciddleludge - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 04:46:31 EST ID:Uc45pUGq No.519568 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519564
Not at all. Say a voice is saying that everybody hates you. You don't just accept that the voice are true ya dingus. But what's it saying. "I am feeling self conscious about whether people like me or not".

You probably have intrusive thoughts about the same things except you don't perceive them as external.
>>
Betsy Bungerket - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 07:08:30 EST ID:h/1sxUpj No.519569 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>519568
That's a fair point, I guess I was assuming that everyone is aware of the distinction between internal monologue and auditory hallucinations. That's not a fair assumption to make.

I used to have problems with intrusive thoughts. I have a close friend who's schizophrenic and had hallucinations he couldn't distinguish from real sounds. If we'd never compared notes I may well not understand the difference too well.
>>
Archie Brallernot - Sun, 22 Oct 2017 19:10:39 EST ID:xP2x0ckD No.519577 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508713839711.png -(94380B / 92.17KB, 1599x859) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>519568
>But what's it saying. "I am feeling self conscious about whether people like me or not".
I have no opinion on how other people perceive me. My voices aren't chatter, which I know that schizophrenics normally get, but they're random sounds (a child laughing, music) that occur very rarely and I just interpreted as a memory I've heard before bubbling up again. I actually have no internal monologue at all which I think is strange. Some time ago it stopped, probably from a head injury or something. I also lack the ability to internally visualize stuff which really really sucks because it's been more difficult for me to do math since.
>>519564
I was diagnosed officially and I thought him to be a crook. I told him I'd sue for religious reasons if he tried forcing me to get medication because he claimed I needed to "clear my head" without listening to the fact that I did/do have a clear head and ignoring that I wasn't hearing voices.
I think that I was suggested to go to a therapist or psychiatrist but I didn't go because I was traveling cross-country for a convention at the time I was diagnosed.
I read about the catatonic state thing for a bit and how it's described on wikipedia is pretty wishy washy (they "may", patients will "sometimes", "conversely") so I won't look into that too much. That said, I had just got back from being in this stupor where I thought I had left my house to go to the sauna with two people I know (I do this often) but I hadn't and I was lying on the floor next to a box of candy the entire time. Weird shit lol

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.