420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Overcoming a stealth addiction by Fuck Cuvinggold - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:40:47 EST ID:Mg6DKMIm No.522188 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1518547247599.jpg -(463486B / 452.62KB, 2560x1440) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 463486
I sneak every chance I get. Sneak into social gatherings, sneak out again, last week I tried to get into the office through an air duct, and had to crawl back out again when I couldn't get out of the vent into the supply closet. Even when there's no reason to sneak I step quietly to try attract as little attention as possible. I've even gone as far as leaving items around to draw someone's attention away. A couple of months ago I was even questioned by police for behaving in a suspicious manner. I think this may stem from my love of MGS and other stealth games. It's just more fun to sneak in than to just walk in the door, in ever scenario.
>>
Nigel Fanworth - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:47:29 EST ID:ROGlj1oY No.522190 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522188
>tried to get into the office through an air duct, and had to crawl back out again when I couldn't get out of the vent into the supply closet

lmfao
i have no advice
>>
Fuck Cuvinggold - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:05:37 EST ID:Mg6DKMIm No.522193 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522190

It would be funny to be if it weren't landing me in trouble. I've tried to get better at stealth, but when an air vent is screwed in place, from the other side, you can't just break through without making noise/incriminating yourself. It's not like in MGS or Splinter Cell, where the vents are just uncovered and any grates they can just push off. I've always been a high level at stealth and I feel I've got better and better, but some things you just cannot account for, so when I harmlessly sneak in somewhere but find a locked door and someone peering out the window I put myself at risk, when really I'm doing nothing wrong at all.

It's frustrating because I just love stealth. It's the ultimate way. I feel so attuned to my environment sneaking through corridors and listening for other lifeforms, and searching and avoiding cameras.
>>
Hugh Hiddlebit - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:59:18 EST ID:B/1t3ZFg No.522196 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522193
Do your thing mate, it sounds beautiful and exciting. Grace be with you and by that I mean in all situations even when an air vent is screwed in place.
>>
Clara Drallercocke - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 16:11:34 EST ID:WEiGJLMT No.522198 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522188
I wish I had your passion. Well, not specifically your passion, but you know, some sort of passion.
>>
Isabella Saffingville - Tue, 13 Feb 2018 18:30:11 EST ID:ilcXZXCD No.522200 Ignore Report Quick Reply
well OP i cant think of any situation where sneaking will be socially acceptable. people will always be at least puzzled, or at worst, angry and suspicious you are committing a crime. some may even overreact and become violent. so i guess, if you really have to do some sneaking, have an exit strategy in case things go bad. avoid sneaking in places with security guards or cops. im wracking my brain trying to think of somewhere people would be cool with stealth... maybe paintball matches? lol. good luck OP and godspeed.
>>
Nigel Gupperfoot - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 00:25:21 EST ID:ZMDYtLUz No.522205 Ignore Report Quick Reply
What you're doing is prowling and learning how to break and enter. This behavior by itself is harmless but illegal, however the tendency is for escalation to fetish burglary after the 'thrill' of just prowling wears off, and from fetish burglary to serial offenses like stalking or sexual assault.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4558/accdeeb60f1666a1ec56de4bfc637a1b1941.pdf
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128006078000124
https://books.google.com/books?id=3ewAoOHQQzcC&pg=PA24
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jip.1406/abstract
https://books.google.com/books?id=SbGDK8fMJD0C&pg=PA199

Similarly to how an innocent choking fetish leads to self-hanging in the bathroom like David Carradine, you are embarking on a pathway that can lead to serious ill-consequences for yourself and society at large. There is a reason the police do not like prowlers. Most of the time, they're behaving that way for a reason, and that reason is to commit more serious crimes.

You are not at that point. Even if you never reach that point, you will still be a suspicious person-of-interest in similar-type crimes that involve young male prowlers and may find yourself subject to false criminal charges if the police put the pieces together incorrectly.

Fetish burglars are dangerous because the compulsion to repeat offense is present and self-reinforcing from the very beginning. This is very similar to what you're describing as a "stealth addiction", and meshes disconcertingly well with self-reported early experiences of future serial offenders. It always starts small.
>>
Shitting Sibberdale - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 04:27:23 EST ID:Mg6DKMIm No.522216 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522205

I know how to check myself, and have no desire to steal or assault. For me it's that feeling of barely making it past someone as I anticipate their moves. So far it's only escalated to vents and the occasional rooftop.
>>
Shitting Sibberdale - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 04:31:35 EST ID:Mg6DKMIm No.522217 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522200

Yes I have tried paintball matches, but nothing quenches the thirst for tactical espionage action. My only real exit strategy is being a fast runner, and supple, sometimes able to pull of Splinter Cell type wall climbing moves with both legs out, difficult not to make noise like that though, and also depending on the wall.
>>
Hugh Brebberkon - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 05:05:36 EST ID:DWaLMotX No.522222 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522188
>Stealth Addiction
Man that's some shit right there.
How do I get that?
>>
Shitting Sibberdale - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 05:12:39 EST ID:Mg6DKMIm No.522223 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522222

Instead of greeting an acquaintance or friend you spot in a friendly manner, try avoiding them using every method at your disposal. Following on from that, try finding alternate routes into your workplace, even into your own home. A word of warning though, you may quickly alienate people by doing so.
>>
Samuel Disslebire - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 06:22:08 EST ID:nqjIB7CR No.522225 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I feel invisible to everyone WITHOUT sneaking everywhere.

Fuck you OP, check your privilege
>>
Hedda Siffingwill - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 09:58:46 EST ID:Ed3TCSse No.522229 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518620326002.jpg -(141010B / 137.71KB, 936x728) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>522188
Have you considered becoming a ninja?
>>
Frederick Wipperhood - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:22:37 EST ID:7Y0dBXiN No.522231 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522188
Thanks OP. I haven't laughed this hard since 2016
>>
Hugh Brebberkon - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:38:43 EST ID:DWaLMotX No.522233 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522223
I like that.
>>
Albert Blishfoot - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 14:07:54 EST ID:Dxj769zU No.522237 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522217
>but nothing quenches the thirst for tactical espionage action

This fucking guy. OP I haven't laughed this hard in a while.
>>
Nigel Gupperfoot - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 18:51:55 EST ID:ZMDYtLUz No.522244 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522216
"The occasional rooftop" is still someone else's property you nitwit! You don't get it! You are going down a path that in the best case scenario makes you a potential suspect for any burglary or home invasion sexual assault in your neighborhood! The police keep tabs on this shit. You'll get grilled over shit you never had any involvement in, IN THE BEST CASE SCENARIO the police will treat you like shit and throw you out when they don't have enough evidence to score conviction. And if they put the pieces together wrong, by grace of god? You sir are fucked!

You know they say things like wrong place, wrong time? You are intentionally putting yourself into the wrong place at the wrong time for the thrill of it. Don't complain if your harmless addiction bites you in the ass. Or becomes less than harmless as it goes.
>>
Charlotte Snodwater - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 18:56:42 EST ID:0PJ7z1R+ No.522245 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522200

>have an exit strategy in case things go bad

SMOKE GRENADE

that would be fucking awesome. that's a story someone would tell for the rest of their life.
>>
Shitting Turveystock - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 04:31:41 EST ID:Mg6DKMIm No.522254 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522245

haha that would be fun, but also too much of a weapon of sorts, even if it's a non lethal one. So far I have knocked someone out (rare set of circumstances, I was basically forced to) and I've built a homemade EMP jammer, that, although short range, works up close on any electrical device I've tested it on so far.

>>522244

The good thing is, I don't do it anywhere suspect. These places do have tight security, but then it wouldn't be stealth otherwise. So far just my work place (I have an alibi as it's my workplace, most of my colleagues trust me, there's nothing of value to steal aside from stationary/computers/documents, and if grilled I could just say I was testing the security systems like a good employee). There has been one incident where they were worried about cameras going blind intermittently, but not a big deal. As for rooftops, well, it's just a matter of practise, by climbing along a stretch of cable from one rooftop to another, and a short distance and not too high, stuff like that, nothing that screams "burglar," although one resident watching from his window did get irate, hence the...knocking out, which itself was non-lethal, and left no damage.

I have a range of stealth techniques at my disposal, such as blacking up at night/wearing dark clothes, choice of footwear, homemade equipment, distracting with light/sound etc.

Really this is risk-free if you know what you're doing, it's just that I feel it's become a bit of a compulsion. Like I'd just like to be able to go to a party or social function without going in through the window, or already being there in a cupboard.
>>
Frederick Croblingcocke - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 10:13:29 EST ID:LZcwMVpc No.522261 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Remember OP stealthing is only frowned upon if you get caught.
>>
Lydia Doshlatch - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 11:12:42 EST ID:TNGxHAKH No.522266 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522188
I believe you can get paid to become a "physical penetration tester" for testing event security. It's typically more about lying about credentials tho
>>
Nathaniel Geblingmet - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 11:41:34 EST ID:04nQix6i No.522267 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518712894725.jpg -(57974B / 56.62KB, 840x472) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>522266

Really? That's an idea..I could do test run and film it and send it to the company that owns the building...what an application that would be. "I bypassed all your security systems, your security sucks, here's how to improve it."

Really though, I'd love to get teams together for this, or do it competitively. Like in Oblivion, the thieves guild quest, put some item under lock in some heavily guarded building, contest to see who gets it first.

I'm also building up quite an arsenal of gadgets. I mentioned the EMP jammer, but I also have night vision goggles, a rudimentary smoke grenade, tranquilizers and syringes, I almost never have to use them but although I have nothing with which to melt metal grates or unscrew vents, I'm pretty foolproof.

I've also learnt as I've gone on, about different floor surfaces, how best to step on them different temperatures, how sound travels, how different windows sound, the best places to hide in case of emergency (believe it or not, lockers are not such a good idea, being locked and all, and trying to open a locker even lightly can make quite a rattle).

Heck, I'm not even sure why this is a problem. I can do anything. I bet I could get into Fort Knox if I put my mind to it.
>>
Nathaniel Geblingmet - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 11:44:32 EST ID:04nQix6i No.522268 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522266

Lying about credentials/disguises wouldn't work so well though, as I don't have the means to account for who I'm impersonating, although learning hacking might be handy. I could build up a crew.
>>
Lydia Doshlatch - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:15:07 EST ID:TNGxHAKH No.522269 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518714907825.jpg -(369954B / 361.28KB, 1024x683) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>522268
It's easier than you think. You rarely need more than a clipboard and lanyard to get in most places.

If you want to do it competitively, you firstly need like-minded people. Create a meetup group for even just put up flyers for ninja training or some shit. Next you need a "base" to infiltrate. I'm sure there's some abandoned building nearby where you live without too many pigs or junkies. Try circlejerk or https://www.uer.ca Honestly, many of the infiltration skills you developed come in handy during urban ex. Don't blame me if you meet a bad security guard, but if you take a girl, no drugs, and a camera plus look cleancut you'll probably get away even if you did get caught by a security guard.

That competitive idea is really sick though. Get a couple paintball/airsoft guns, get some people to play guards, create objectives (maybe even utilize some smartphone app), and play MGO IRL. Have the guards wear bandanas around their neck and if you take them off, they're "out". Sorta like flag tactical espionage action. The more I think about this the more badass it sounds. I'm in NC if you're trying to meet up (a lot of 420channers live around here for some reason). You know, those irl "escape the room" places seemed pretty dumb until they became internationally popular. Maybe this could be the next thing. It'd require more work for participants but I think there'd be enough people interested.

Also please make a thread on /b/ detailing some of your basic, intermediate, and advanced techniques. Particularly curious as to how you walk differently on different temperatures.
>>
Wesley Cankindale - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:36:25 EST ID:B/1t3ZFg No.522270 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522267
you are making great progress op, just don't think that harming others is cool. Watch this movie called Wind River. I understand that you don't want to harm anyone, but your fun isn't an excuse to do it under any circumstances. Be kind my friend to every living being, it's worth it.
>>
Nathaniel Geblingmet - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 13:06:55 EST ID:04nQix6i No.522271 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522269

I'll get to work on that thread. NC is far from here, but thanks for the invitation. When I say temperatures, I don't mean in relation to the floor, I mean things like visible breath in the cold. Different floors is just hard/creaky/squeaky, different materials.

Thing about stealth is, you have to be precise, decisive, and account for all contingencies, which I haven't done as I was just pulled up by management who have been monitoring this and want to know why their cameras have been going out and why the ventilation is damaged.
>>
Lydia Doshlatch - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 13:36:14 EST ID:TNGxHAKH No.522272 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518719774825.jpg -(48001B / 46.88KB, 640x383) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>522271
Not sure how much disposable income you have, but it couldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer about this. See how much trouble you can actually get in. And your "problem" is more like a talent. I implore you to join some company like this: https://www.securestate.com/services/physical-penetration-testing

Godspeed, Boss.
>>
Nathaniel Geblingmet - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 13:56:35 EST ID:04nQix6i No.522273 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522272

Looks like I'm suspended until further notice. I'll check that out, keep my options open, although being caught doing this might not look good on my application.
>>
Lydia Doshlatch - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 14:35:17 EST ID:TNGxHAKH No.522274 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518723317825.jpg -(52796B / 51.56KB, 580x290) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>522273
It's a pretty niche field. They can't possibly get that many applicants. If you explain your passion for stealth like you've explained here, I think you could spin it positively pretty easily. However, as I said, physical pen testing is more about social engineering and lockpicking than actual MGS shit and they're gonna want you to follow SOP. It's not quite what you want to do. Look into it, just be warned.

I thought of an even safer, cheaper way to sate this badass urge you have: rent out a lazer tag place for a night and try sneaking past people to the objective. Actually, what's stopping you from hosting a tactical espionage party at your friend-with-a-big-house's house? Regardless of what you think of it, it's become socially acceptable for adults to play kickball and other kid games (provided there's alcohol). There's already a growing adult competitive hide-and-seek movement thanks to Portlandia: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-28/nascondino-why-are-these-grown-ups-playing-hide-and-seek/8996342 Just add an objective or two and put the competitive hide and seek inside a large building and that's pretty much exactly what you want, right? Or does it have more to do with the adrenaline rush of actual danger? Can't really help you there. Being addicted to adrenaline is more destructive than being addicted to heroin. Best idea I can come up with to sate that addiction is get a gopro and start a youtube channel. Not for likes and views, but for plausible deniability. "Look! I'm really not a thief! I just want to make little videos! Please don't arrest me :("

People seem to prefer house parties based around events or themes, but if you're in a big enough city there's always good old craigslist/meetup. I guarantee your local urban ex group would be into an event like this. I think most people would tbh.
>"Hey what are you doing this weekend?"
"Same old, same old. Netflix, hitting the bar, maybe watch some other people play video games on the internet, you know."
>"Sucks dude. I'm going to a tactical espionage party to practice being a ninja."
"Y-you're childish..."
>"There's a couple chicks I met in yoga class coming supposedly but even if they don't I'm gonna have fun. Good luck at the bar!"
"....oh. C-can I come?"
Fuck, I wish I could help you organize this.

Btw smoke grenades are fine but don't knock people out. It can do serious brain damage. Still badass as heck tho
>>
Nathaniel Geblingmet - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 15:11:26 EST ID:04nQix6i No.522275 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522274

>don't knock people out. It can do serious brain damage

well I didn't physically knock him out, I tranquilised him. I had to spin some pretty convincing lies to persuade management that I was joking on those counts, and narrowly avoided involvement with the authorities.

It's not the adrenaline, although there is a mild adrenaline rush, which frankly I'm not addicted to, as I'd rather do as you suggested. Tactical espionage get togethers seems to be the way to go..once I've dealt with this situation. Also not just about sneaking, but about environment, like could totally adjust lights and such and set up a place to be perfect for that, having to stay out of the way of light sources and such. Hell, even outdoor stealth in the woods or a field would be great. Two teams, like spies vs mercs, spies stay hidden, do the stealthing and have complete objectives, get items, mercs guard/go hunting. One leader for each team to plan strategies/coordinate, communication through headpieces, mercs have to send status report every say, 10 minutes, if they happen to be knocked out and are late, investigation. Alarms and traps too. Items in random locations to help out, also great.
>>
Nathaniel Geblingmet - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 15:13:07 EST ID:04nQix6i No.522276 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522275

oh shit they could just look at this thread. Well I was joking about that, it's never gone that far. Besides, there's no proof, they could even check CCTV of that area and see me not knocking someone out with tranquiliser.
>>
Edward Drebbleshaw - Thu, 15 Feb 2018 19:47:45 EST ID:ZMDYtLUz No.522279 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522274
>>522254
>>522275
OP just letting you know you're a future serial predator and I hope you get caught before you seriously hurt another human.
>>
Jenny Tillingfuck - Fri, 16 Feb 2018 04:01:19 EST ID:TaHn706/ No.522293 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522279

I don't know what you're talking about. That thing about tranquiliser was clearly a joke, as I have no tranquiliser, and nor have I procured any tranquiliser.
>>
Walter Blezzlened - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 12:32:44 EST ID:pD8sKYvB No.522353 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518975164879.png -(5511B / 5.38KB, 844x825) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
If you're real OP here's my secure email account and pic related is my PGP public key. Contact me I'd love to collaborate.

[email protected]
>>
Thomas Bingerwin - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 14:04:01 EST ID:yUhAjzvV No.522356 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522188
> get into the office through an air duct
nigga are you Adam Jensen or something?
>>
Cornelius Sondleham - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 15:36:47 EST ID:USUZpST+ No.522362 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522225
Technically you're the one with the privilege in this situation as you're able to sneak without effort, but OP has to actively try.
>>
Thomas Bingerwin - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:42:52 EST ID:yUhAjzvV No.522365 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522362
Well, technically you'd be correct if Samuel didn't say he was INVISIBLE to everybody already, clearly implying the privilege being discussed is in regards to social interaction and social standing, rather than his ability to sneak around effectively.

.....and that's why checking your privilege is fuckin retarded, because who has it and who doesn't is just a matter of deliberate and careful choice of words.
>>
Hamilton Tillingridge - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:52:28 EST ID:B/1t3ZFg No.522366 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522365
that is correct
>>
Priscilla Brellernere - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 18:30:00 EST ID:aUdigX5R No.522368 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Is this the best thread there's been on /qq/ or what?

OP, I'm sorry, I gotta suggest the opposite. You've got to improve your stealth skills.

I've trained parkour and ninjitsu and can say they would definitely help you. Parkour for escaping and climbing to weird places (there's a lot of technique to be learned and practice needed as well) and in ninjitsu I've learned how to walk without making any noise and strangling techniques to take someone out within seconds without doing any harm. Also there are smoke granades used in paintball that don't cause any harm, you could look into that. Finally, acting classes would be really usefull for making up excuses, or as someone said before, lying about your credentials. Please update on your future shenanigans OP.
>>
Nicholas Sundleladge - Mon, 19 Feb 2018 04:31:28 EST ID:USUZpST+ No.522379 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522365
How about this; Samuel has sneak privilege but social the opposite of privilege and OP has social privilege but sneak the opposite of that? That way they can both be victims.
>>
Ebenezer Brookcocke - Mon, 19 Feb 2018 18:01:00 EST ID:ZMDYtLUz No.522402 Ignore Report Quick Reply
ITT: enabling future rapists because "hurr it funny joke boris"
>>
Martin Serrywell - Wed, 21 Feb 2018 01:58:05 EST ID:80efJqSX No.522454 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522402
I think being a rapist have more factors that simply being good at stealth. There are plenty of non-stealthy rapists.
>>
George Gemmercocke - Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:55:16 EST ID:m7uFHDSy No.522476 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522402

the fuck you talking bout
>>
Eugene Blackshaw - Fri, 23 Feb 2018 23:06:45 EST ID:ZMDYtLUz No.522492 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>522402
>>522476
>>522454
"I cover it up with MGS meme so it's not real"
"lool can you see my crippling mental issues through all this?"

The answer is yes. Seek help OP.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.