420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

penis pump

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Worth waiting for SSDs (in 2017) by breakabond - Wed, 01 Mar 2017 03:08:42 EST ID:fVWGPSRj No.120682 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1488355722568.jpg -(40810B / 39.85KB, 460x321) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 40810
Have SSD's prices started to level off, or should I still wait to buy one?
With the way flash drives got so cheap in the last 4 years, I'm willing to be patient in order to get a better value for a large capacity SSD.

What do you think? I'm not one to frequently upgrade parts, so I'd be buying a large one and don't want to end up regretting it and wishing I'd waited.
>>
NathanielSezzleway.ttf - Wed, 01 Mar 2017 03:46:47 EST ID:qfUqw4Hh No.120683 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The future will be better tomorrow. If you're asking because you don't have an SSD, you are an idiot at this point.
>>
WilliamGrandstock.dll - Wed, 01 Mar 2017 20:45:48 EST ID:eGfrwg5S No.120685 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>120683
No he does have one, that is what the post was for.
>>
EdwinDunderfield.swf - Wed, 01 Mar 2017 20:58:37 EST ID:fWRgDh9+ No.120686 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>120683
How about you answer the question instead of being a fucking prick?
>>
MarthaHugglewill.ace - Thu, 02 Mar 2017 15:22:51 EST ID:TFkw85AE No.120694 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>120686
No doubt you stay on top with the top of the line for components, and your parents pay for all of it for you, right? Nothing wrong with parents buying computers for their kids. People like you though? I get asked fairly often about SSD's, these people are asking about this because they don't want to spend money on upgrades that will basically do very little for performance compared to price and the near future of these. As for purchasing SSIDs, and the question, I see it phrased the same way, even on advanced forums where people know their shit by far more than you do, it's a valid question.
-
I say wait until you figure the benefits outweigh the expenses. Prices will go down, and likely become commonplace
in the near future.
>>
AugustusHallerwuck.rdo - Thu, 02 Mar 2017 19:51:09 EST ID:YktW5lDX No.120698 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1488502269383.jpg -(46064B / 44.98KB, 648x486) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>120682
I think that SSDs will be armpit deep in Moore's Law for the foreseeable future. That is to say that if you wait a little while you'll get a bigger, better, cheaper drive. And at that point if you wait a little while you'll get a bigger, better, cheaper drive...

In the 90's processor speeds grew so quickly that a machine even a few years old was effectively a dinosaur. The thing is that you never wanted to buy a new machine because by just waiting a little longer you could have something much, much better.

It's a hard decision to make.

>>120683

Why does not having an SSD make someone an idiot?
>>
WilliamDimblebudge.js - Thu, 02 Mar 2017 20:59:27 EST ID:Ki3Nprwe No.120699 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>In the 90's processor speeds grew so quickly that a machine even a few years old was effectively a dinosaur. The thing is that you never wanted to buy a new machine because by just waiting a little longer you could have something much, much better.
SATA SSDs aren't getting any faster or better, just cheaper. There's some interesting stuff today and Coming SoonTM with NVMe but that won't be cheap for some time. Also, that was the 80s.

>Why does not having an SSD make someone an idiot?
If you don't have an SSD, you should buy one even if it means selling your blood to get a used one on ebay and sticking it in your Pentium D box over SATA I. Asking whether you should stick it out with 100% spinning disks because SSDs in the future might cost less is what would make you an idiot.
>>
AugustusHallerwuck.rdo - Fri, 03 Mar 2017 01:06:14 EST ID:YktW5lDX No.120700 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1488521174383.jpg -(84895B / 82.91KB, 720x820) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>120699
SATA SSDs aren't getting any faster or better, just cheaper.

There has been a general downward trend in failure rates, I would consider that to be indicative of increasing quality. Speed wise, SSDs are already so fast that I doubt that anyone would be focusing on that aspect at this point.

>Asking whether you should stick it out with 100% spinning disks because SSDs in the future might cost less is what would make you an idiot.

I think that's a matter of requirements and available resources, rather than stupidity. Spinning rust may not hold a candle to SSD when it comes to speed, but for many applications it is fast enough. Add to that the fact that the storage capacity per dollar of spinning rust is vastly superior to that of SSD then the decision of how best to spend money becomes more clouded.

OP didn't state anything regarding requirements, the original post seemed to have more to do with general census of future trends. Without knowing what OP is doing it's impossible to say if it's smart or foolish to purchase SSD now or later.

Personally I only have only one SSD drive in operation and it is in an old laptop. SSDs would be nice in a number of other places, but the expenditure(s) simply isn't/aren't justifiable at this time.
>>
AugustusHeckleham.ace - Fri, 03 Mar 2017 15:00:15 EST ID:7F/QA+Tm No.120701 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>120700
>SSDs would be nice in a number of other places, but the expenditure(s) simply isn't/aren't justifiable at this time.

As long as you are using the machine for pretty much anything except perhaps a file-server or media center it is justifiable period. There may be other cases, but none where the machine in question should act as a general purpose home pc.
>>
PhoebeShittingforth.lnk - Fri, 03 Mar 2017 18:40:52 EST ID:fWRgDh9+ No.120704 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>120694
what? I think you meant to respond to someone else. Yeah it's a legit question, and of course not everybody has the money to throw down on this kind of thing
>>
ErnestFumblelick.eml - Fri, 03 Mar 2017 19:20:10 EST ID:Mw0E3xZ0 No.120705 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>120704
Using an SSD as your system drive is one of the most useful upgrades you can make to your computer and you don't even need all that much. Find a way to scrounge up $50 and buy a 128GB SSD. That's plenty of room for your OS, your apps, and a few games. Pair it with a large-capacity HDD for all your media files and archival purposes and you'll be golden.

If you're an adult with a job and your shits together, there's no reason why shouldn't be able to produce $50.
>>
GrahamFemmlehood.qif - Sat, 04 Mar 2017 22:34:08 EST ID:Y7Hm+wSB No.120709 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>120700
Don't point to hard drives and say that SSDs are getting better. That's even dumber than it looks.
>>
EmmaGreenbury.jpg - Wed, 08 Mar 2017 16:39:00 EST ID:xL3OwkMk No.120734 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>120700
My Toshiba drive is a broken mess.

Then again it was a high RPM drive that I put into an external case because I didn't give a shit about good sense at the time apparently. It probably got jostled and gyroscopic forces slammed the corner with the heads down hard.

I did recover the data eventually, so props to Toshiba for that.
>>
breakabond - Wed, 08 Mar 2017 20:06:58 EST ID:fVWGPSRj No.120736 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1489021618689.jpg -(246089B / 240.32KB, 1024x1606) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
So you're saying wait 10 years for SSDs to get harder better faster stronger.
Just like windows did! pic related.
>>
MatildaSengerbury.cpp - Thu, 09 Mar 2017 01:59:32 EST ID:QCXQHMN8 No.120737 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>120734
ehh, I have seen what should have been unusable hard drives, let alone computers, get by.

I do though have a drive that had recently showed like 2000 failed sectors in a minute or two while
attempting to zero it out. It's gone, plain and simple, noted in mere seconds.

There are though times where you think a HD is broken, as well external media, but it's all
stable, just needs a little bit of cohesion to get it back working. May loose data.

I have my favorite USB drives that do this quite a bit. It's fun geting them to work
again.
>>
ErnestSmallcocke.sit - Mon, 13 Mar 2017 23:23:06 EST ID:fVWGPSRj No.120764 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Price trends seem stable but need a longer term window.

https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/internal-hard-drive/

I could a samsung evo 850 for $1.25/gb for instance, but I believe the avg $/gb is lower, so keep searching.
>>
AugustusCrundermut.nlm - Wed, 15 Mar 2017 06:53:23 EST ID:fVWGPSRj No.120767 Ignore Report Quick Reply
And dont forget to disable the following for SSD Life

1. System Restore - life and performance
  2. Hybernation - life
  3. Pagefile - life
  4. Superfetch - life and performance
  5. Optimize Drive

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.