420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Boosting Cell Phone Signal by JamesWanderwad.asm - Tue, 19 Sep 2017 04:01:10 EST ID:2QDtT/Wc No.121316 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1505808070789.jpg -(677200B / 661.33KB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 677200
So, I get my internet as part of my unlimited data cell phone plan, using my phone as a wifi hotspot and picking it up with my pc. But where I live I get shit cell reception. Mountains and all that.

Before anyone suggests I change how I get the internet, I live out in bumfuck egypt and there is no cable, no dsl, no wifi. This is my only choice other than satellite plans with unacceptable data caps. So it's this or go back to dial up.

Anyway, I figured that maybe if i could get more than two bars in the room where my computer is, my download speeds would improve.

I have heard of various signal booster products, like on amazon, with a greatly varying price range, so I thought I would ask people on a tech board about it.

Have any of you ever had to solve this problem for yourselves, and how did you do it? Did you buy a signal booster, and how well did it work? Was it worth the money, and easy to install and use?

At the moment, I'm pretty new to wireless, wi-fi, cell phones, and high speed internet in general, unfortunately, and I gotta start somewhere.
>>
FrederickFocklebury.mov - Tue, 19 Sep 2017 06:43:40 EST ID:Bu5RmgtJ No.121317 Ignore Report Quick Reply
If you're not using the phone, you can find out where the tower is and rig up a parabolic RF reflector to improve the signal. Look on Youtube. If that doesn't do it for you, your best bet is a repeater.
>>
JennyCicklefere.doc - Sat, 23 Sep 2017 07:32:46 EST ID:0rkLiknL No.121329 Ignore Report Quick Reply
thanks.
>>
CyrilDrushforth.php - Sat, 23 Sep 2017 17:16:58 EST ID:LwU/+hZ0 No.121331 Ignore Report Quick Reply
look up cantenna
>>
CharlotteNecklebog.sea - Wed, 04 Oct 2017 16:12:34 EST ID:jDnKXRwm No.121354 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121316
If you have an android phone, you can always see what kind of signal you get by the signal meter on the top edge of your screen... iphones should show it in the same area.

If you have GSM/GPRS reception it will be MUCH slower than dialup. later network revisions may give you 100-200 kbit/s...which is still about twice as fast as dialup.

a 3G connection can give you up to 4-5 mbit/s, even on a single bar..

a single bar 4G connection can yield about 10-15 mbit/s...

I live in an area that gives a single bar (4G) on my phone, however I also live in a country with a well-maintained cellphone infrastructure. Speeds on all network types depend a lot on the cell towers, ISP company policies, limitations in your contract and so on.

tl;dr the odds are very good that you're going to get better speeds than dialup.
>>
SamuelChommlefuck.tmp - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 00:43:47 EST ID:sE+LTW+n No.121376 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121316
What kinds of things are you downloading that are taking a long time? If it's high-quality Youtube videos, perhaps try turning the quality settings down so that it's faster.
>>
Don't Copy That Floppy - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 16:46:25 EST ID:kPftCDqB No.121377 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121376

Ty anon
>>
WalterShakebanks.bmp - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:22:38 EST ID:7F/QA+Tm No.121378 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The best solution would be a high gain antenna mounted on the outside aligned with the cell phone tower that gives you the best reception.

First get the opensignal app for your phone and find out the best reception on the locations you could mount an antenna and the direction of the cell tower you are connected to at this point.
Then get a 4g modem with with an external antenna bnc connector and a high gain 4g antenna.
I'd look for "4g antenna" on aliexpress (I never buy electronics from amazon if it's a Chinese product any way)
If you don't know which one to buy go on sort by orders and get the most popular one.
>>
WalterShakebanks.bmp - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:24:38 EST ID:7F/QA+Tm No.121379 Ignore Report Quick Reply
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Gain-800-2500mhz-Outdoor-LPDA-Yagi-Antenna-for-Cell-Phone-Signal-Booster-Repeater-Amplifier/32758557309.html
>>
WalterShakebanks.bmp - Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:31:18 EST ID:7F/QA+Tm No.121380 Ignore Report Quick Reply
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fullset-DCS-1800MHZ-GSM-1800-2g-4g-LTE-Cell-Phone-Signal-Repeater-Booster-Mobile-Phone-Signal

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.