420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
RAM boosters by Acid Burn - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 12:03:29 EST ID:CQd7IHtQ No.121405 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1508256209975.jpg -(469842B / 458.83KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 469842
...are RAM boosters fake or a scam??
>>
Acid Burn - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 12:29:20 EST ID:CQd7IHtQ No.121406 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508257760202.png -(39149B / 38.23KB, 508x564) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
https://www.howtogeek.com/171424/why-memory-optimizers-and-ram-boosters-are-worse-than-useless/

Why Memory Optimizers and RAM Boosters Are Worse Than Useless

Many companies want to sell you “memory optimizers,” often as part of “PC optimization” programs. These programs are worse than useless — not only will they not speed up your computer, they’ll slow it down.

Such programs take advantage of inexperienced users, making false promises about boosting performance. In reality, your computer knows how to manage RAM on its own. It will use RAM to increase your computer’s performance — there’s no point in having RAM sit empty.

Is Your Computer’s RAM Filling Up? That’s Good!

Memory optimizers are based on a misunderstanding. You may look at your computer’s RAM and see it filling up — for example, you may have 4 GB of RAM and see that 3 GB is full with only 1 GB to spare. That can be surprising to some people — look how bloated modern versions of Windows are! How are you ever going to run additional programs with so little memory available?

In reality, modern operating systems are pretty good at managing memory on their own. That 3 GB of used RAM doesn’t necessarily indicate waste. Instead, your computer uses your RAM to cache data for faster access. Whether it’s copies of web pages you had open in your browser, applications you previously opened, or any other type of data you might need again soon, your computer hangs onto it in its RAM. When you need the data again, your computer doesn’t have to hit your hard drive — it can just load the files from RAM.

Crucially, there’s no point in having RAM empty. Even if your RAM is completely full and your computer needs more of it to run an application, your computer can instantly discard the cached data from your RAM and use that space for the application. There’s no point in having RAM sit empty — if it’s empty, it’s being wasted. If it’s full, there’s a good chance it can help speed up program loading times and anything else that would use your computer’s hard drive.

Notice that very little RAM is actually “free” in the screenshot below. The RAM is being used as a cache, but it’s still marked as available for any program that needs to use it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/128130/htg-explains-why-its-good-that-your-computers-ram-is-full/
>>
BetsyWorthingworth.bz2 - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 15:14:08 EST ID:8kKfzj+D No.121407 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121405
Basically it is impossible for a program to make ram more usful wit ha program. Information is being shifted around as programs utilize ram. Self-reliance is
how to make windows work well. They are a complete scam. Having ram being used is good. Although some programs hog ram to the point that windows may freeze. If anything these 'ram organizers,' will do completely the opposite.
Data will be scrambled. One could dedicate ram for a specific purpose,
like a server with only a purpose, but again, it would be useless to have a program to organize data to clean things up.

The idea of boosters, is I think just impossible. One could though clean out ram,
overwrite it's contents, but that would be useless as well.
>>
Acid Burn - Tue, 17 Oct 2017 20:56:55 EST ID:ds//Fzzs No.121408 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121407
how 2 maximize theoretical 'self-reliance'??
>>
JohnSnodstone.cgi - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 02:51:10 EST ID:MM80YYCH No.121410 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121406
Jesus fuck 3.47 gb can't be idle right for windows? Is that Windows 10?

I remember getting Windows 7 down to 750mb ram usage as low and stripped down as I could with Task Manager open. 3.5 has to be with other programs open.

Also, just buy more ram. It is cheap and because everyone seems lazy as fuck or don't care about programming lean programs anymore, it is useful. Modern firefox soaks up like 2 fucking gb it seems. Unfortunately, anything less than 8gb is pretty annoying for anything beyond really basic web browsing. 12 is min for any kind of regular desktop now unfortunately.

A cheap 4gb stick of ddr3 is only like 20-30 bucks. Any of those 19.99 +S&H TV scams are worth far less.
>>
ShitBuzzbanks.bfc - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 05:07:40 EST ID:vpfE8QdL No.121411 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121410
i run debian with swap off on 4gb
it consumes around 600mb with a firefox variant usually around 5 tabs open.
The only problem i encountered with this setup is you cant unpack files larger then your free ram
>>
HeddaWemmerdock.chm - Wed, 18 Oct 2017 18:23:39 EST ID:AsmwOuaN No.121412 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1508365419161.png -(31754B / 31.01KB, 825x515) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>121406
Is there an optimizer that will stop windows 10 drivers from assigning my entire goddamn memory space to the non-paged pool and doing nothing wiht it?

This has been going on for 3 months.

And why the fuck does the start menu/search bar not pop up like, a third of the time I hit the button?

Why the fuck is a quarter of my memory in the non-paged pool, which should normally be like, 80-300 megabytes? I'm not getting SMBLoris'd or anything. This is just my goddamn computer.

AND WHY IN THE FUUUUUUUUUUCK does the suite of tools from microsoft that allows developers to debug drivers in the non-paged memory pool break features of Visual Studio that developers need? I can't even inspect this shit because of that.

Windows 10 is at least twice as much of a shitshow as it was when it came out. This is the opposite of progress.

>You're getting so many new features though
...That I didn't want. Fuck off, microsoft shill strawman in my head.
>>
PhoebeBrookgold.bas - Fri, 20 Oct 2017 01:49:27 EST ID:CSTLffWa No.121415 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121408

self-reliance
noun
reliance on oneself or one's own powers, resources, etc.
--

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.