420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Old windows 7 installation merging to new one by ClaraBaffingdock.cda - Sun, 26 Nov 2017 22:57:22 EST ID:notOZan7 No.121449 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1511755042203.gif -(1533721B / 1.46MB, 250x250) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 1533721
Hey /tech/, I have a rather perplexing problem on my hands, and I'd figured i'd ask you guys here since you've rarely let me down; Is there a way to merge all my programs, settings, registry settings, files, and basically everything from an old windows installation to a new one that was installed on the same disk that the old installation is on?

I have a folder on my new OS install called "Windows.Old, which is basically my old setup but I have a feeling that if I try to move that folder to my new one it will not have the same effect as a full migration.

So what I'm asking here is this: Is there ANY software that will allow me to perform this kind of operation or am I just stuck with a fragmented set of my shit from both installations? Has anyone had this problem before, and if you have, what have you heard about it?
>>
WilliamFoblingdeck.pm3 - Mon, 27 Nov 2017 13:08:55 EST ID:Kfm6tTgn No.121450 Ignore Report Quick Reply
try this
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3179/migrate-xp-to-windows-7-with-easy-transfer-and-a-usb-drive/
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4503

if it won't let you pick windows.old, copy the files to a flash drive
>>
JohnCallerchit.msg - Mon, 27 Nov 2017 23:21:46 EST ID:notOZan7 No.121451 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121450
im running win 7 ultimate, will this even work for my build?
>>
JohnCallerchit.msg - Mon, 27 Nov 2017 23:22:48 EST ID:notOZan7 No.121452 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121451
shit, forgot to mention that it's 64 bit as well. nb for forgetful mention
>>
LydiaGandlewug.gid - Sat, 30 Dec 2017 13:00:15 EST ID:AOc2VGw2 No.121501 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121449
The windows.old folder is a backup folder for windows 10 upgrades that allows you to roll back the installation in case you recieved a major update or you have upgraded to Windows 10.
The folder is basically a backup of that earlier Windows build or installation.

If you have Win7, and want to reinstall Win7, you can export any registry changes via regedit > File > Export...
This wil generate a .reg file with the selected registry folders, keys and values that can be installed on the new install.
You cannot select multiple items in regedit, so make a.reg from each of the HKEY folders if you want a full backup

Files can always be backed up to another drive or USB stick.

If you have Win10 and want to reinstall Win7, you can and should only move the files.

For some programs (eg. Steam games), you can copy the files and folders to another drive or partition, and then re-add the given folder in the program. After some verification, the games will usually work again

Copying settings varies from program to program

>>121451
If the installation is on the same PC, you will need a USB drive or external HDD.

Easy Transfer is pre-installed on win7, and works with both x86 and x64 versions (however, you cannot transfer an x64 OS to an x86 installation)... it also works between win7 machines/installations.

There are a few limitations of the easy transfer, in that it may not pick up all programs or settings, but it should work for the most part, especially any M$-related programs
>>
BarnabyGimmleshit.vbx - Fri, 02 Feb 2018 02:04:12 EST ID:2AqX6NCU No.121576 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121449
you're best bet is to just reinstall everything. Just install gentoo
>>
EugeneHoneygold.bz2 - Wed, 14 Feb 2018 01:51:47 EST ID:EwiLwHz4 No.121617 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121501
There are a few limitations of the easy transfer,

Actually more than a few. It is designed merely for transferring, an install to another hard drive, or another computer. It cannot be upgraded from, say win 7 premium to ultimate. The .old file will not work this way.

My guess is person installed windows within windows. no mention of what the old windows was.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/recover-personal-files-from-windows-old-in-windows-8/ Same principal I assume.

win.old is created when there is an existing windows already installed. Or like 7 8 to 10, upgrade, where again, there was already a windows version already installed.

Not enough information.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.