420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Is Windows 10 worth using now? by GrahamBlanningdale.ffl - Tue, 26 Dec 2017 00:24:15 EST ID:Xzx53TiG No.121495 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1514265855271.jpg -(66740B / 65.18KB, 1200x800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 66740
So my hard drive has been fucking up lately so I bought a new one and I'll need to do a fresh install of an OS, I've been using Windows 7 and I like it, but I was wondering if it's a good time to upgrade to Windows 10 yet? I haven't really been keeping up to date with changes they've been making, so if someone could tell me the benefits and the negatives of switching to W10 that'd be real good. Also is it still necessary to change settings to better your privacy while using Win10, if so can someone give me some hints on how to do that. Cheers!
>>
IsabellaMurdspear.dev - Tue, 26 Dec 2017 16:47:20 EST ID:Lu761HNF No.121496 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>Also is it still necessary to change settings to better your privacy while using Win10, if so can someone give me some hints on how to do that.

You will have to do it with every major update since Microsoft quietly resets privacy options when they conflict with new features like voice activated Bing integration. Maybe you should spend a week with Linux Mint or something.
>>
ElizaMuffingman.xsl - Tue, 26 Dec 2017 20:34:11 EST ID:sWNz+MjD No.121497 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121495
if you really, truly care about privacy, then no, Windows 10 is never going to be good. It's technically possible to remove and disable all (or most of) the tracking, but it's still there.
>>
ErnestSeffinghall.dwg - Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:14:11 EST ID:P+Ho4jL0 No.121498 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121495
I hate win 10 for the most part. As person said updates may or 'will' reset your setings. Win 7 pro is
stable. You can save windows 7 to 40 45 ggigs. And save the rest of the HD for storage, point
your media there, torrents etc.

If windows happens to fail, you can reinstall windows and the saved media partition is still there, Hopefullyy though.,

If linux. windows install first ,then a linux distribution after is easiest. For a 'dual boot' scenerio.

https://spout.ussg.indiana.edu/linux/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/community/ best in my opinion is
pclinuxos64-kde5-darkstar-2017.11.iso, burn ISO to DVD, then can run it from DVD drive to see if you like it enought to install it. It is minmal, so install from repository, like firefox, etc.
>>
MartinGipperford.html - Fri, 29 Dec 2017 03:39:39 EST ID:Xzx53TiG No.121500 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I knew I was gonna get a lot of people saying to install Linux, I tried LInux yeeeears ago, and to be fair it's probably gotten a lot better since I used it, but it was very different and I'm so used to Windows I really don't feel like learning a different type of operating system.

I installed Windows 10 when it first became free (quickly uninstalled it because it sucked) and there was a program that I downloaded that did all the privacy fixes for you, but I can't remember what it is, so if someone could point me in the direction for that.

Because it was suggested so much, I will give Linux another try though. Hopefully I can boot it from a USB though because I don't want to hook my DVD drive up lol
>>
NigelHemblefuck.gid - Sat, 30 Dec 2017 20:22:33 EST ID:Xzx53TiG No.121502 Ignore Report Quick Reply
So I've installed it, done all the settings to my liking, installed my programs and I'm absolutely loving it, it's so smooth, nice looking and easy to use and customize. Hard to believe how much it's improved since 2015, when I first used it was very unstable and I was immediately put off by it. I got constant crashes and since installing this one haven't even had a slight hiccup. I've found all the privacy settings I want to turn off easy to find in the settings, so I'm happy.
>>
ErnestFushchit.jpg - Sat, 20 Jan 2018 12:18:12 EST ID:GCKvSkmb No.121544 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I partitioned my disk into 700gb linux and 250 in windows for games.
And fuck, windows sucks so much. It's sluggish as fuck, complicated, ugly etc etc
I guess if i'd spend time tweaking around it would be better but it's discouraging as fuck.

>>121500
Try linux mint, it feels a lot like windows in the important parts and is easy to learn. I use it and it's pretty fun. The fact alone that updates don't require a restart of 30min is great

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.