Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Headset Giveaway!

G933 Giveaway     Discussion Thread
OS drive issues by MatildaGrimdale.aif - Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:46:17 EST ID:fF6eQRLM No.121624 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1518795977720.jpg -(618518B / 604.02KB, 1908x1069) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 618518
Hey /tech/. I posted something similar to this once like 2 years ago when I had some phantom program eating up space on my windows drive, and someone recommended that I install WinDirStat to check it out. More recently space on my drive just keeps shrinking without me adding to it directly (fuckin windows), and I'm wondering if one of you tech gods can take a look at this breakdown and advise if anything stands out that I can just straight up delete.

I know I need to reformat this drive but I'm lazy and really don't feel like doing it right now. Hoping I can clear up some space and do it when I have a little more free time on my hands.

Thanks in advance for the help.
>>
MatildaGrimdale.aif - Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:46:57 EST ID:fF6eQRLM No.121625 Ignore Report Quick Reply
nb but it's Windows 7 64bit btw if that matters
>>
JamesSivingbanks.eml - Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:14:16 EST ID:isWzROF7 No.121626 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121624
It's just installer patches, probably Windows Update cache junk. The Windows disk clean up tool is supposed to get rid of that kind of stuff.
>>
MatildaGrimdale.aif - Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:16:49 EST ID:fF6eQRLM No.121627 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1518808609720.jpg -(653803B / 638.48KB, 1915x1069) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>121626
ran it, cleared about 2GB. it said it could clear another 5.28GB of "Temporary Files" but I've run it twice now and they're still listed as being there.

I installed a program called PatchCleaner and apparently over 40GB of those installer files are "orphaned files", so I moved them off my SSD and onto another drive. Not sure what's gonna happen if I ever need to use one of them, but whatever I've still got em I guess and they're not eating up space on my windows drive anymore.

Sorry for the thread, should have just googled around a bit. Here's what the drive looks like now if anyone cares. Windows is still over 30GB which seems huge but who knows.
>>
CyrilSenningwodging.api - Fri, 16 Feb 2018 18:21:38 EST ID:NLYwZXee No.121629 Ignore Report Quick Reply
32gigs for win 7 is about perfect with updates and basic programs.

I would get a clean win 7 dvd, not a manufacturers install dvd, just windows.

Make win7 about 40 gigs. 40868 for good measure for cee drive. Then allocate the rest of the space for storage. So if windows goes down, the separate partition will still have all your movies, txt files you want to keep etc intact.

Just delete all partitions when in stalling and build a c partition for windows, then make the rest of the space for storage and install. Install to the 40 gig space.

Then update as usual. Just set to get get important updates to install automatically, and hand pick the optional updates that are for your specific computer from the top lines.

I use 7-zip, avg, firefox, ccleaner. No issues to really speak of in as many years of installing windows.
>>
GrahamBlummleham.asm - Fri, 16 Feb 2018 21:50:30 EST ID:fF6eQRLM No.121631 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121629
I still have the OEM Win7 disc I originally installed on this rig like 4 years ago, so I can reformat whenever I feel like, again, just lazy. I'm not really worried about keeping a bunch of stuff on the SSD since I've got 3TB of space on other drives for media and all that.

Apparently the installer patches build up over time whenever you install new programs. I guess this issue has been a thing with windows for a long time and there is no real fix for it still, msoft just says not to delete the files because you might need them to update or uninstall the programs? I dunno, but it's not a windows update thing, just the price of installing/uninstalling games all the time. Oh yeah and I read something about them being unique which is another reason not to delete them? Again, not sure, but it is kind of weird that there are reports of this happening over various iterations of windows OS for 10+ years and msoft just sort of ignores it.
>>
CharlotteDammerfoot.lgo - Sat, 17 Feb 2018 05:04:15 EST ID:1/K0mEf8 No.121632 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121631
Yea, well, there is a time to reinstall windows. The oem install dvds are generally just a bunch of dysfunctional apps bundled with windows that IMO will eventually make the system unstable.

A clean windows install, preferably win 7 pro, non oem, will not have these issues.

If you have a product key, get a copu of that operating system win 7 and install
with that. OEMs usually have a hidden restore partition, which are generally useless,
as well the manufacturers extras they add for user convince. They do fail.

Since you have an SSD drive, why not just push some buttons after burning a clean
DVD and make the system work to it's potential. Install time, 30 minutes. Complete
security updates, an hour, maybe longer. Each app you install to automate windows
is adding more lines of possible failure. Keep it simple.
>>
GrahamBlummleham.asm - Sat, 17 Feb 2018 08:56:37 EST ID:fF6eQRLM No.121633 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121632
I'm not sure what you mean, it's just a Win7 disc, there are no apps on it. It didn't come from any manufacturer, I built this PC myself.

Anyway, here's the thread I was looking at with someone else dealing with the same issue, there are others like it and there never seems to be any good solution to the problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/my-windows-installer-folder-is-enormous-how-do-i/76a6cf3d-3963-4284-8177-4c8cd5ce0d4d?auth=1
>>
ElizaBrollylin.nlm - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 16:32:46 EST ID:/L8ogssU No.121637 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Try these two options OP;

Disable "Hibernation", I had a problem with my install using nearly all of the 40gb I gave to it initally, but following these tips helped me to free almost 10gb. It can sometimes be turned back on for reasons because windows, so try to follow all the tips given in this thread. Make sure you know what you are doing and are comfortable about making such changes before you do them, or manually make a "System Restore" point beforehand.

https://superuser.com/questions/347927/how-to-really-turn-off-hibernation-in-windows-7/347928

Try changing the size of your pagefile. The recommended size is 6-8gb according to the dialog box where you make the change, however you can get away with 1gb if you really are pressed for space. Personally I set mine to 5,120mb initially and to stretch to 8,192mb if needed.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/simple-ways-to-increase-your-computers-performace-configuring-the-paging-file/
>>
EbenezerBardfield.swf - Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:21:52 EST ID:m1u3xjix No.121638 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121633
Isee, was thinking OEM key. This OEM DVD is tied to the hardware. If I got that right.
I am pretty sure sure I do.
>>
FrederickChashnat.asc - Tue, 20 Feb 2018 08:32:32 EST ID:fF6eQRLM No.121644 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121637
hmmm, thanks. I might look into those if I have this issue again in the future.
>>
PhineasSirrywell.pcl - Wed, 21 Feb 2018 05:26:20 EST ID:oD76BDaE No.121645 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121637
>Disable "Hibernation", I had a problem with my install using nearly all of
>the 40gb

Really win should remove these files usage space on it's own when shutting down.
But for fun keep an eye out on Hiberfil.sys. Seee if that changes often. Can delete it, it will rebuild, or be put in use if you turn on hibernation. ccleaner will remove a lot of space being wasted.

>Try changing the size of your pagefile.

Ehh, windows 7 and above handles this on it's own. Xp, to a lesser extent. Not often one goes over the ram to use the page file to any extent. Mainly there to
make programs more accessible, to be overwritten on the fly, when not in use for a while by programs. Really, pagefile if you mess with it's settings, I think it causes more issues. Unless you know specifically why you want to override the settings. Swapfile another story, some thought it made a faster system by putting it on a seperte partition, which was not true, unless maybe one had a specific setup and reason to do so. Same goes with linux, some say twice the size of ram for /swap some 2/12 the size some the exact amount of ram., Just a few thoughts.
>>
PhineasSirrywell.pcl - Wed, 21 Feb 2018 05:29:14 EST ID:oD76BDaE No.121646 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121644
Well, it may be fixed just as easy now. If you happen to have a windows.old, you can delete that, it would mean nothing at this point. And should not be there unless you upgraded, or installed windows with an already existing, or partial windows install.
>>
ThomasSegglelodging.pol - Mon, 26 Feb 2018 21:10:46 EST ID:v2VQx+hY No.121663 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Just a recommendation but everyone who is tired of how long it takes windirstat to finish scanning should give wiztree a try. It scans the master file table instead of walking directories & can give you the same results in 10-20 seconds on even slow ass hdds that are chock full.
antibody-software . com
>>
RebeccaHoddlehadge.ani - Wed, 28 Feb 2018 00:18:23 EST ID:mLsbpqlD No.121669 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121663
Obvious spam is obvious . nb
>>
BarnabySacklesatch.tar - Wed, 28 Feb 2018 07:00:51 EST ID:fF6eQRLM No.121671 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121663
all the scans i did with windirstat were under 20 seconds...

wtf are you on about?
>>
PhineasNashwater.ttf - Sat, 03 Mar 2018 14:25:50 EST ID:qWleJkzQ No.121682 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121669
Legit recomendation ya turd. Keep using WinDirStat if you want.

>>121671
WinDirStat works great with SSDs. HDDs with tons of small files are brutal and Wiztree goes much faster. Real annoying when I have to make small talk with my customer just because WinDirStat is churning for 5-10 minutes on their ancient HDD just so I can find where the massive stash of log files filling their free space is coming from.
>>
ShittingBapperlock.xsl - Mon, 05 Mar 2018 12:36:36 EST ID:7GS8PPpE No.121685 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121682
It also tells you the size of items that WinDirStat doesn't have permissions to check, like your System Restore points in system volume information.

Then you can go delete them all from System Restore and make a new one.
>>
WesleyBruggledot.wav - Mon, 05 Mar 2018 19:19:49 EST ID:1AwQ9DWV No.121686 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121685
>WinDirStat doesn't have permissions to check, like your System Restore points

Windows backup, shows 0 bytes when you copy it to a external drive. I wonder if this would do the same. I forget the format it is saved as. For helper apps, person likely said spam, because soo many write mediocre applications. AT times steling peoples work and slightly altering it to look like theirs, then hey guys, this app it GREAT! Make a mediocre webpage to point to the app.

Windows becomes unstable. And all that. not a s much today though.
Not as annoying when people do.

I go to this one big box computer stores sometimes, they have boxed fix your computer issues with a click of your mouse they push. i was asking a simple basic question. First thing she did, was not listen to my question ans said, what you need is whatever it's called program, it's (predominately) displayed over there. Not what I need or want to spend 45 buck for. Only to gave it make any computer it is installed unstable. Bragging how many issues it fixes every so
often. This program, above, people like it. I generally try to look at things as
they are. Something is off, generally a simple reinstall fixes everything.
But people who do make decent worthy software should be acknowledged.
>>
SamuelMollertidging.sea - Mon, 26 Mar 2018 18:01:35 EST ID:i0PXx4gq No.121713 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Oh, a point in favor if WinDirStat: WizTree can't scan your 10gigabit NAS.

The WizTree recommendation is great though. Didn't know about it.
>>
CarolineHindleman.deb - Wed, 28 Mar 2018 07:32:27 EST ID:aNa5lZli No.121714 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>121624
yall here sound like my grandmother when she started using the computer
>>
SamuelHingerletch.mpp - Tue, 10 Apr 2018 20:10:34 EST ID:ZIjF8/dM No.121749 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1523405434154.jpg -(35170B / 34.35KB, 500x386) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>121682
Really liking Wiztree, thanks man.

OP I didnt read your question, idk man, just format the drive.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.