420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Cheap/free Mechanical Engineering 101 resources? by Cedric Passlefoot - Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:36:21 EST ID:gQzPZ5om No.6824 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1445736981096.jpg -(298079B / 291.09KB, 600x350) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 298079
Basically what the title says. I have an intense interest in Mechanical Engineering. I want to pursue a career as an Auto Mechanic and will be attempting to get into a decent college that has both automotive and mechanical engineering programs. But while I'm waiting on that I figured it best to educate myself outside of school I suppose. So I'm looking for a place to get really cheap introductory textbooks on the matter, maybe free or cheap online PDF's as well. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I know that taking courses in Mechanical Engineering isn't exactly a requirement to be an automotive mechanic but I want to create, design, and fabricate as well as do repairs. I seem to have at least a little bit of a latent talent when it comes to machines as I managed to partially disassemble an old motorcycle engine to replace a bad valve and gasket as well as adjust the timing chain after only watching a short instructional video. Sure I had to take apart and put the engine back together a few more times before it fired up but, hey, I got it. And this was with no prior experience with that sort of thing.

I also seem to really enjoy the work, I found it intensely fun. Anyway, I digressed quite a bit there. I was looking for books/resources on things like learning how to do C.A.D. and/or how to draw up design plans on a drafting table (do people still do that?). The math needed behind the subject (math comes naturally to me, especially things like geometry and calculating ratios which I think has at least a little to do with all of this?) As well as general education on the matter. I can't really give any specific examples but, I figured I'd start broad and work my way into more of a specialized area. I want to design everything from internal combustion engines (new and exciting configurations!) to glider planes. In essence I suppose I want to focus on vehicles and transport in general.

Anyway TL;DR - Cheap and/or free mechanical engineering resources, anyone? please?
>>
M - Mon, 26 Oct 2015 08:45:34 EST ID:T4Q2rzEV No.6825 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Well, for maths and thermodynamics I`d suggest Khan Acedemy (on Youtube). And for statics and dynamics (both really important in ME) look for Hibbeler on google, some PDFs are around somewhere.
CAD drawing, I have no clue where you can find resources for free.
You can always try (technical)university libraries, you`ll probably able to just read there without your presence being questioned.
>>
Sophie Clayforth - Mon, 26 Oct 2015 20:09:16 EST ID:gQzPZ5om No.6826 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1445904556000.gif -(898169B / 877.12KB, 254x200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>6825

Hey thanks. That Khan Academy is great stuff! just the kind of thing I was looking for. Kibbeler looks alright too, there's reams and reams of books available and I'll start purchasing/downloading (if legally available) them ASAP.
>>
M - Fri, 30 Oct 2015 04:53:18 EST ID:orqtNuyi No.6829 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>6826
I of course don`t know your financial situation, but I honestly think those books are way to expensive for just interest. I`d suggest only buying them if you are entirely sure what you want to do this.
Also; I`m in my uni library right now and found a book on CAD and heat engines, although I have absolutely no clue wether these exist online or not, here are the titles:
Engineering drawing & design, C Jensen J Helsel D Short
Heat engines A Walshaw.

I think both books are of interest to you.
Good luck.
>>
Isabella Shittingford - Fri, 22 Apr 2016 01:10:31 EST ID:7b780Sco No.6951 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>6824
Nobody drafts on paper anymore...just kiddies in high school in an introduction to drafting class. I learned everything I needed to know about CAD (Pro-Engineer/Solidworks) via the internet and torrent sites. You can easily torrent a bootleg copy of either solidworks or Pro-E. I would say that solidworks is the more intuitive of the two and you can probably find some accompanying pdf text that will teach you the basics. Otherwise, Youtube is a treasure trove of tutorials for that. Good luck and have fun!
>>
Graham Bliddlestadge - Sat, 28 May 2016 23:45:03 EST ID:Zl+5ngCO No.6964 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>6824
>implying mechanics in America are highly trained and qualified
Most of them are white trash. Go be a helper at a shop and they'll teach you what you need to know. Most places care about experience unless it's in the plants or government work.
>>
Sophie Clayspear - Sun, 21 Aug 2016 04:46:03 EST ID:7YnJeYuF No.6988 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Machinist's Handbook. Anything you could ever need will be in there. Mechanical Engineers are all pencil pushing know-it-alls cunts. I hate Mechanical Engineers. I left the field behind because of those shallow pedantic fucks. Engineer school teaches you a bunch of shit when a Machinist's Handbook would cover everything you'd use in the real world.

Pirate some ansys software, solidworks, Mastercam and blender. Learn them in that order, backwards. Ansys will be great, way way way down the road for you. Blender is good right now and it has input values so you can test designs to make sure you won't run into costly errors. It is going to take a ton of dedication but you can do it if you want it enough of course.

Machinist's math textbooks are aight. The rest are a waste of time or far too overly complicated to make engineer school more of a pain.

>Seriously though, Machinist's Handbook. Outside of design and that sort of shit, anything you need fabwise will be in there. And millions more.
>>
Hugh Dronningman - Mon, 28 Nov 2016 07:38:48 EST ID:IjPN+/1M No.7019 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>6824
MIT has literally all the resources(lecture recordings, textbooks, software ect) necessary to get a complete undergraduate education in mechanical engineering available to download for free

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.