420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Just started as an electrician by Basil Sashsot - Mon, 15 May 2017 12:53:41 EST ID:BwDcuBKU No.7125 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1494867221006.jpg -(4421784B / 4.22MB, 5344x3006) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 4421784
>first job as an electrician.
Advise.
>>
Basil Sashsot - Mon, 15 May 2017 12:56:37 EST ID:BwDcuBKU No.7126 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>7125
*Please reply
-op
>>
Emma Brookworth - Sun, 21 May 2017 14:35:24 EST ID:hxKwLAuj No.7127 Ignore Report Quick Reply
don't electrocute yourself
>>
Reuben Dittingwutch - Wed, 24 May 2017 00:22:15 EST ID:sy7BAqF4 No.7128 Ignore Report Quick Reply
rip op
>>
Ebenezer Fubberputch - Thu, 01 Jun 2017 23:00:34 EST ID:DM/keebS No.7130 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>7125
depending on where you live you can make bank. Traditional career path is to get past the journeymens status and go into business for yourself. If you are in a union town you can try that, otherwise free lancing can be very profitable if you arent completely stupid (and care about doing good work).

Some people on job sites are complete scum bags, others are good. not much you can do about it so you kinda just have to deal with it.

The tests are pretty easy, but you'll need to study (if you dont have a college degree) at least a bit to get through them.

Electrical work can be physically demanding so get in shape or the job will do it for you.

Welcome to blue collar
>>
Archie Nommlesore - Sat, 10 Jun 2017 15:30:20 EST ID:jZbVMvD/ No.7133 Ignore Report Quick Reply
op back after my first month.
love this job.
got my first paycheck over $1000.
scheduling side work already.
shocked my self 6 times.
didn't die.

any advice on how to become a journeymen as fast as possible?
>>
Archie Nommlesore - Sat, 10 Jun 2017 15:42:12 EST ID:jZbVMvD/ No.7134 Ignore Report Quick Reply
op here.
I've now done a top down remodel completely removing nub and tube whit that looked like it was from like the fuck 1940s.
working on this site was frustrating because it was a small house and they had like four crews on site ( is this common in anyone's experience?)
also did a service on the first sit op pic related.
anything i haven't done that's super common?
>>
Augustus Gebbleman - Thu, 06 Jul 2017 17:22:34 EST ID:ECt2lUwZ No.7142 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1499376154323.jpg -(1431688B / 1.37MB, 2365x1559) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>7134
That looks like new construction, how the fuck have you shocked yourself 6 times on lines that shouldn't even be hot?

At first, looking in the trash bin, your pigtails looked fine - then I saw that box on the far right side of the OP picture. If you did that, I want to kick you in the balls, how the fuck are you even going to attach an outlet to that?

Also, yes depending on the job (especially remodels), it's common to have multiple crews working at the same time. New construction is a little better on this front.

Honestly, if you can get into only new construction, it's the way to go in my opinion. Remodels can be a pita when you start looking at how previous electricians (or worse the homeowner) have done things.
Like seriously, I've been on jobs where the previous electrician ran 8ga wire from a hottub to the breaker box, ran out of wire inside the breakerbox and crimped a couple 6 inch lengths of 12ga in between the 8ga and the breaker.
I have worse stories if you'd like.
>>
Augustus Gebbleman - Thu, 06 Jul 2017 17:24:34 EST ID:ECt2lUwZ No.7143 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>7142
forgot to mention, the first sentence of my post is a joke ;)

rest of it is serious. and also, running the hot tub off those 12ga wires had melted the insulator off 'em. I should have taken a picture, it was fucked.
>>
Sidney Nobblewell - Sun, 16 Jul 2017 06:58:41 EST ID:IZhvBj47 No.7144 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I had a summer job as an electrician once, the guy I was helping out was able to strip pvc wire isolation with his finger nails.
I don't know if he had some rare condition or something but this did happen.
>>
Rebecca Smallgold - Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:49:45 EST ID:gVkN3OHL No.7146 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Journeyman requirement (for E2 license):
  • 762 hours required instruction (one year of trade school day class, one and a half years of trade school night class)
-8000 hours of labor (if union, 10000 hours) which is about 4 years of full time work, non stop

This is most states in the USA
>>
Cyril Buzzhood - Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:51:57 EST ID:wpVRWHiC No.7149 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Always leave yourself extra room for making connections

watch your tools

before you ask how something works, use your meter and poke around a bit. you can probably learn something.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.