Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Kirtaner & Spardot's 420chan Wedding

To all guests, live viewers, and our Internet family, THANK YOU.
VODs will be edited soon, we are all so tired.
Wedding Gifts
Learning to recycle old electronics (components) by Fanny Blonnerstere - Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:16:29 EST ID:zIm1Srig No.7158 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1510704989121.jpg -(130727B / 127.66KB, 931x685) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 130727
HI guys. This board seemed more suitable than /tech/.

My dear dad just passed away. He was an electronics hoarder (according to my mom at least). He collected a ton of broken, old or discarded but still working electronic equipment in my parent's garage. My dad was more of a collector than electrical engineer. He knew how to solder neatly and could name some components and what their specs meant. But he never really made anything out of his collection. One of the few things I remember was him fixing a radio that needed a component change.

My mom wanted to throw away all the "junk" when dad died, but I ended up taking most of them. I love electronics but I've never been good at them on a technical level. I'm more of a software guy. I know my basic electronics from physics class up until ohm's and kirchoff's laws. I can read a circuit diagram and have some clue about voltage, current and resistance. I'm not a complete noobie, but I'm still really really bad at electronics and have no idea how to approach a project.

I wanna recycle the old stuff my dad left. Salvage individual components, test to see if they work, organize them according to their properties, and make something new from them. My dream for a while has been building a radio transmitter. I've already got a super cool AM/FM receiver that can do all sorts of magic tricks but I lack a transmitter. I've done some googling, but a lot of it flies over my head.

So, I need sources about electronics. I want to learn. My dad left me a soldering iron so I got that covered. I probably should get some tools to remove singular components from circuit boards. The biggest issue is finding out if the components are still functional. Some of the stuff is from the 60s! Any easy way to do so?

Sorry for being all over the place with this post. I only took the mandatory electronics classes so I'm pretty intimidated. No clue where to start building my radio for example. Should I just pick everything apart and then start assembling components that fit together? There are plenty of radio transmitter schematics online.
>>
Fanny Blonnerstere - Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:25:00 EST ID:zIm1Srig No.7159 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>So, I need sources about electronics.
By this I mean that I could use some (e)book recommendations or manuals that explain how electricity works. I should probably invest in those waffel-looking boards you can build small projects on. I have no idea what they're called. Recommendations?
>>
Fuck Senkindock - Tue, 21 Nov 2017 20:57:13 EST ID:Zrqg/sI0 No.7160 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>7158

>waffel-looking boards
They are called bread boards.

tldr: All currents through a node sum to zero, all voltages in a loop sum to zero.

Look for an online Circuit analysis class to understand how electricity behaves, then look for an Electronics 1 course and Logic Design course online. That should set you straight.
>>
The Empire of Dirt - Fri, 29 Dec 2017 19:24:01 EST ID:HPN+OzbF No.7161 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1514593441887.jpg -(367015B / 358.41KB, 1632x582) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Fellow electronic recycler & electronics nerd here. What is important? Sadly, Time is also Money.
So, know what to recycle:

dont do:
  • random Resistors, cheap disc type capacitors and random DIP IC
  • random no brand Electrolytic capacitors
  • undocumented IC

do:
  • good branded caps 105°+ Caps (Nichicon ("cooking pot" logo), Panasonic,...)
  • still expensive stuff: like ADC's, DAC's, tantalum caps, precision analog stuff (OPA, precision resistors, voltage references),
    power stuff (High amp / Voltage Triac, BJT, Mosfet; transient protection, power resistors), Inductors, quarz and resonators
  • always usefull stuff: bridge rectifiers, optoisolators, fuses /w holders, small & big transformers
(all above even in DIP)
  • all kind of SMD IC (because storage in ESD safe bags is easy and fun for SMD)

know where to look:
  • Old PC motherboards yield a lot of 30A+ SMD Mosfet, also Gate driver IC if you are lucky (keep an eye out for those)
  • Audio amps yield transformers and power transistors

Sort your desoldered shit in (ESD)bags & Boxes, or leave it all on the boards and be ready to dig in the Pile when needed.

For new stuff, like when you need breadboards, a set of Resistors, and so on, ebay & china is you friend.
Just dont buy the most cheap one you find, it will be crap, in one way or another.
For surplus stuff (parts and test gear) in some parts of the US there are some nice stores.
If you do not live in the right part, also ebay.

desoldering should not be a hassle, a soldering iron alone is not enough, so GET THE RIGHT TOOLS!
And by that i mean this fucking beast, the "858D" hot air tool, can be had from 30$ onwards on Ebay - and it will be your best friend.
It desolders and solders SMD, also its super usefull to heat a board from below to pull a DIP IC, fastest way to get one out without damaging board or ic. To solder SMD stuff back in successfully, get some gel type flux. Yes, its like 15$ for a small syringe, but it lasts you years and you will be glad you have it every time.

Also, Knowledge. Youtube is your friend, really. Channels like:
Mikes electric stuff, eevblog, w2aew, thesignalpath, devttys0, MrCarlsonsLab, Kerry Wong, etc.
This stuff is worth a hundred books, literally.
Also books, "the art of electronics" is like THE book. If you buy just one, buy this.
There are also sites like b-ok.org where you can get all the books and then some.

Test gear. Get a decent Benchtop Multimeter, a linear power supply, and a scope.

One of the biggest online communitys is the EEVBlog forums. The Amphour Podcast is nice.
If you like DIY Radio Stuff, check the Soldersmoke Blog & Podcast.
>>
Cyril Sicklepere - Sat, 13 Jan 2018 02:03:33 EST ID:l8g6dMpE No.7162 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1515827013199.jpg -(47675B / 46.56KB, 240x151) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>7161
Not OP, but long time lurker here
I wish I could upvote that post, thanks for that info its useful in all its forms. Have one internet.
>>
Hannah Deffingsteck - Sat, 31 Mar 2018 13:50:05 EST ID:IZhvBj47 No.7185 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>7162
Keep in mind though that you can get pretty much any common component from aliexpress these days for 1/3rd to 1/10th the price of retail on digikey, delivered.
Most of these will be even genuine parts because they are surplus stock from high volume productions.
I pay under $1 for STM32F103 microcontrollers for instance.

In general if something is sold on aliexpress or not is generally a good sanity check if a component is worth using in a design. Because if it isn't means that it isn't being used in consumer electronics and means information on it will be scarce.
Second: Never buy ICs where you can't find independent either a library for it on github or some discussion on a forum about it. This means they are meant to be used in special designs very close knit contract manufacturing.

My mantra is: When it comes to ICs there is absolutely nothing wrong with mainstream.
>>
David Faddlelock - Fri, 06 Apr 2018 08:53:19 EST ID:gG97Tn7x No.7188 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1523019199420.jpg -(23390B / 22.84KB, 306x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
The Art of Electronics, by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, is a good start, and there's a complementary text, Student Manual for The Art of Electronics by Thomas C. Hayes and Paul Horowitz.

Apart from that, you could ask around at Lainchan, that's where all the cyberpunk kids hang out.
And I mean the real Lainchan.org, not the graveyard copycat at .jp.
>>
Phoebe Magglegold - Fri, 06 Apr 2018 14:27:59 EST ID:IZhvBj47 No.7189 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>7188
>Lainchan.org
The first thread on their programming board is about FORTH
lol, shit, thanks dude I can't tell if I should smile or cry.
>>
Betsy Hizzleforth - Wed, 25 Apr 2018 04:33:23 EST ID:lErcgTIf No.7193 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>7189
De nada, Lainchan is a well kept secret. Lord knows they could do with more tech traffic and less drama.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.