420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Sorcery and Mages! by Augustus Murdfoot - Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:29:03 EST ID:uujpKFWA No.27302 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1416684543363.jpg -(371136B / 362.44KB, 600x840) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 371136
What are some books, wikis, lore, stories, games, documentations, whatever about sorcery, wizards and all that is magic?
I'm interested in all kinds of magic schools, systems and spells.

Dominions 4, Stone Soup, DnD and Mtg are all examples of fantastic spells and the magic behind them.
>>
Fucking Sammerpet - Wed, 26 Nov 2014 07:56:43 EST ID:gzksjU9d No.27307 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1417006603404.jpg -(114668B / 111.98KB, 2544x1044) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Mage: The Awakening is in my opinion the coolest system for playing a magic-user, barring only freeform talk/text RPing.
You can find the books on PDFs.
You'll need to familiarize yourself with the NWoD system.
All of it is worth the read, even if you never play.
At extraordinarily high experience levels, the scale is truly cosmic.
An example would be the realization that the atrocity of World War 2 happened, and the Allies won, through a massive concerted effort of Acanthus (Time+Fate) Archmages on both "sides"... good mages trying to prevent it altogether, and evil mages seeking Nazi victory.... and the result we know as "history" is the mix.

You know all those creatures here on earth that have such impossibly specific symbiotic relationships and we wonder, how the fuck could that have evolved?
Well it might have been a bored Thyrsus (Life+Spirit)...
>>
Phoebe Clusslespear - Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:40:26 EST ID:do7JmF9Z No.27308 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27302

There's probably a list of 20-40 books for magic in 3.5, not gna go through my 14GB to find them all though. They're there.
>>
Esther Fumblefuck - Sat, 29 Nov 2014 14:19:00 EST ID:q06U9GdN No.27309 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27307
Mage The Awakening, the best magic system I've ever read in my 14 years of table top gaming. Super fun to play too. If I had one criticism it would be that the nWoD books are written a bit strange and getting the rules out of the fluff can take some practice, though the fluff is excellent and explains why magic works like it does.
>>
Edwin Bavingchidge - Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:30:11 EST ID:AQEVSp0Y No.27899 Ignore Report Quick Reply
dominions 4 is good because it's so easy to mod. here's a star wars mod ive been working on (sound is a work in progress)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4nkmEEQans
>>
Fanny Turveyforth - Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:16:08 EST ID:kHFm3y/Z No.27908 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1453324568399.png -(799725B / 780.98KB, 900x828) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>27307
>>27309
I'm going to sound like a fucking sinner here, but how much of the fluff can be cut away and replaced with whatever I want? Because with this hype I'm actually curious about the system in general now. A good elemental/symbolic magic system sounds like a great start for what I need.
>>
Molly Brimmerspear - Fri, 22 Jan 2016 14:48:54 EST ID:XmqVDovP No.27909 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27908
I'm neither of these posters, but I can confirm that Mage is great. You could probably shed a lot of the fluff and modify it to your own ends, but there are a lot of aspects to the system that you would have to kind of come up with a new explanation for or re-imagine.

Here, I'll explain instead of speaking in abstracts. The primary fluff truth of the Mage setting is that reality is a false prison of forced mundanity to hide the fact that mankinds Destiny (being powerful magi) was stolen long ago by a hand full of powerful magi that discovered the secrets of the universe. Instead of sharing their knowledge and power with the other magi of Atlantis, those elites destroyed the "ladder" to the realm they found, built a false history/reality prison and hid all knowledge of magic from man kind.

The reason this is a critical but of fluff to the system is that all people that "awaken" as magi from then on exist in a world where their powers contradict the false laws of reality, resulting in something called "Paradox." If a "sleeper" (non-magi) witness them using "vulgar" (aka obvious) magic, then reality revolts and tears as it tries to correct itself, which can cause tears in the fabric of the prison and let terrible creatures and powers from the abyss bleed into reality (the abyss is the gap that exists between our realm and the "heavens" those selfish magi discovered). Or, if not that, then their "disbelief" in the power of magic my also cause your spells to fizzle. Like if your arm was cut off and you tried to just pick it up and reattach it in the back of an ambulance using life magic, the EMTs watching that horrendously obvious magic would not only make the spell more difficult to pull off, but also potentially cause you to tear reality apart and summon some horrible entity or have a brain anurism. Stuff like that.

So you could probably cut the fluff out or reshape it, but the "paradox" system is heavily tied to the game rules.
>>
Archie Niggerfield - Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:49:22 EST ID:q787FIAt No.27915 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1454255362662.jpg -(1162017B / 1.11MB, 1280x1708) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I've always wanted a good set of game rules based on "real" magic. You know, like Aliester Crowley, Carlos Casteneda, Dion Fortune, Jack Parsons, Uri Geller, used to write about.

I mean, scientific rationalist/atheist here, no fedora so I don't feel the need to reverse-proselytise, but I am fascinated by the occult. Way I see it, those guys spent their whole lives LARPing like BOSSES.

They had a whole reasonable-sounding logical framework for their magical systems- psionics, patron deities, planes, rituals, potions, entities, spells, it'd be swag as fuck to use their work for inspirado rather than just ripping off the usual RP systems that ripped off the RP systems that ripped off Jack Vance's Dying Earth series, lol.

Of course that opens the door for the whole Jack T. Chick Dark Dungeons "ROLE PLAYING GAMES ARE TEACHING OUR CHILDREN MAGIC!", but hey, it's not like we have to answer to a publisher who has to answer to a politician who has to answer to a concerned parents lobbying group.

Apart from that I really like the Enter The Shadowside card-based storytelling/magic system. And some of the more involved creepypastas have their own lore and laws, like The Calganon 200, the Holders Series, or the SCP Foundation.

FYI, that whole thing about Magick winning WW2 is based on a real thing involving Dion Fortune.

Chinese Taoist magic is pretty spectacular, too, you should check out some of the occult-themed Hong Kong films like Close Encounters Of The Spooky Kind, Bury Me High, Mr. Vampire, Kid From Tibet, Chinese Ghost Story...

Call Of Cthulhu has a magic system, but it pretty much either drives your character insane, summons something that eats them, or taints them with a psychic spoor that attracts THINGS from BEYOND that will ensure their character history will be short and interesting.

Hey, the William Hope Hodgson "Carnacki, the Ghost-Finder" stories have a lore and rules for magic, Carnacki has a lot of tricks and knowledge, and prefers a sort of Edwardian technomage approach, but after a couple stories it's apparent he really has no fucking idea what he is doing and is in constant danger of being killed or having his soul ripped apart by THINGS from BEYOND.
>>
David Sebberway - Mon, 01 Feb 2016 15:45:03 EST ID:qOuaqtCx No.27920 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27915
Mage is still pretty good for that. It's not really flashy (like the magic itslef is subtle most of the time), and has a much more real world occult feel to it than what you'd get with a lot of other systems.
>>
David Crellyworth - Mon, 01 Feb 2016 18:35:22 EST ID:LlmSISr9 No.27921 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27920
Yee, I like Mage, I lurked a couple games on roleplayonline and I like how consensus reality forces you to keep it subtle, less like Dr. Strange than John Constantine.
>>
Henry Hommleneg - Sat, 06 Feb 2016 09:45:32 EST ID:WpZMwZc5 No.27938 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27915
Enter the Shadowside is hugely underrated. I don't think it made the splash it should have made, considering it's a whole new paradigm for replacing dice rolls in a way that it helps the story and it's still fair and not mother-may-I. Also, the setting is fucking amazing -made me feel like when I when was first introduced to VtM way back when.
>>
Edward Podgehick - Sun, 07 Feb 2016 00:30:52 EST ID:xA0yFOIu No.27941 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27938
I've been following the setting since it was a point-and-click game at Fableforge.
I really liked the original idea, that you could hack your phone to see ghosts...

These days there's probably an app for that, lol.
>>
09er - Wed, 07 Sep 2016 09:47:06 EST ID:OpTadZ0A No.28264 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1473256026179.jpg -(267769B / 261.49KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Right & Left handed magic;
http://lonewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Right-handed_Magic
>>
TigerII - Mon, 13 Feb 2017 04:05:54 EST ID:ZxfXjAYk No.28400 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1486976754694.gif -(78168B / 76.34KB, 132x173) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Holy magic
>>
Beatrice Blackworth - Sat, 15 Apr 2017 06:59:45 EST ID:zq12oqcU No.28511 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Ars Technica ~ for when you want to mage out!

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.