420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

penis pump

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
First time DM'ing/roleplaying, HELP by Eliza Claywill - Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:55:03 EST ID:DixnsZ2w No.27387 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1421697303296.jpg -(30446B / 29.73KB, 641x386) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 30446
Okay, so my coworkers and I have been considering starting a roleplaying group. It'll probably be 4-6 people including myself. Maybe 2 of these people have prior roleplaying experience. I am not one of them. I have a basic understanding of the underlying systems and goals of a tabletop RPG, but no experience. And I seem to be the only one willing to step into the shoes of the DM. I don't mind this, necessarily, I know it'll be work but I think it could be a lot of fun too.

So we haven't chosen a game yet, I think at the moment we're looking for a more classic DnD style setting. ATM it's between DnD 3.5, DnD 5, and Pathfinder. As DM, I'd like to build my own world, but I'd also like to start off on a few pre-made quests to use the first few sessions to get my own feet wet and get an idea of my player's styles. I have a few ideas for what kind of world I want to build, I think I'd like to keep it generally lighthearted with some obscure references. For example, I think I'd like my characters to find a magical artifact, "the stone of Cecil" which, when used (once per day at most), will play an eery quote from Welcome to Nightvale that I'll select before each session. There will also definitely be a king who insists on being called "The King Formerly Known As The Prince". I'd also like to experiment with dipping into various genres for short story arcs later on, for example maybe a lovecraftian horror arc, so I'd like the rules to be flexible and able to support that kind of thing.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on which game to use, what books/accessories I should grab, and any tips for worldbuilding and DM'ing in general. Can you help me out, /TG/? I present you with a coupon for a free marijuana in return
>>
George Mullyshit - Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:15:20 EST ID:waLTVQVY No.27391 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27387
Dungeon World is pretty simple, and doesn't have as much number crunching as other systems. It's designed for short campaigns, so it's ideal for beginners, and it has both an open SRD, as well as character sheets and basic rules available for free.
>>
Molly Gimmlehood - Sat, 31 Jan 2015 12:43:41 EST ID:XEcjsNTn No.27406 Ignore Report Quick Reply
http://basicfantasy.org/
Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game is a retro-dungeon-bash styled like old-school D&D. But less shit.
Best of all, it's fucken FREE.
>>
Thomas Chunnernat - Tue, 10 Feb 2015 21:23:12 EST ID:BkB4aW1Y No.27417 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I'd go with 5e. 3.5 is fun, but it is really complicated compared to 5e. Making a character can be an all day event sometimes.

Pathfinder is "3.75". Always rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it's just because every pathfinder player I meet is a jackass.

In the end, you just have to shop around and play different things until you guys find something you like.
>>
Martha Parrykit - Fri, 12 Jun 2015 20:44:51 EST ID:nsvjCWEi No.27601 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I know this is a six month old thread, but this question gets asked a lot, and I'm tired of 40k and Magic threads dominating the first page.

You probably should just go with Fifth (Or Next, depending on who you ask). The first thing it's got going for it is that you can download a PDF and start playing for free. (Inb4 lol torrentz). The free version has rules on character creation, battle, and has a few, though not all, classes and races--enough to get a decent party of new players together. It even comes with a basic encounter for you to play. If you go to a game shop, you can buy the starter edition for $20 which contains a print version of that PDF, dice, and some pre generated characters so you can jump right into the action.

It has a lot of dice rolling and calculation like 3.5, but is lighter on the hardcore math, has good rules for a lot of things that were missing in 4e, and is generally an easier game to play than any other version, without sacrificing what made those versions fun. Yeah, it's missing some important features from earlier versions, but it makes up for that in other ways. At least, I think.

Plus, you can actually, you know, read the character sheets.
>>
Cyril Seddlewell - Sun, 14 Jun 2015 17:53:49 EST ID:FamFjXrQ No.27603 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1434318829127.gif -(982832B / 959.80KB, 338x350) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>27417

I second everything in this post so hard OP. I got into tabletop gaming right around the time 3.5 was on it's last real legs as a franchise (Like, when you could walk into a Barnes & Noble and find books from that edition still available). It was fun, but 5e just seems way more "User friendly." Granted you still have to read the books all the way through at least once, but if you're really meant for this sort of thing you'll be excited enough about figuring out different builds and combos and such that you won't mind. If you have even one person in your group who has a decent amount of tabletop RPG experience he should be able to teach the rest.

And yeah, I have also met a lot of pathfinder guys who rolled an 80 in acrobatics and crammed themselves right up their own assholes.
>>
Ebenezer Pesslestone - Wed, 08 Feb 2017 17:03:10 EST ID:gbzGgvw1 No.28398 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27387
The stone of Cecil is a calcified growth removed by doctors from Cecil's bladder. It is, like most of these things, conscious and convinced that the person now inhabiting Cecil's body is an evil wizard. He doesn't have proof but... he's just sure of it.
>>
Phineas Ceddledag - Thu, 02 Mar 2017 13:44:36 EST ID:7kxOobZI No.28443 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1488480276815.jpg -(52286B / 51.06KB, 545x363) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
DM here, check out Critical Role and High Rollers on Youtube, two groups of fun peoples playing DnD 5e and Matt Mercer of critical role is an awesome story teller and voice actor for Blizzard and stuff and they both have some videos on getting started with DMing andRPing in general. Mostly just keep in mind that the goal isnt to "win" the game, there isnt really a "win" you just play. so many insufferable min-maxing "my dude is the best" players that ruin all the fun DONT BE ONE OF THESE. The fun of roleplaying is found in your characters weaknesses not their strengths. also halflings are awesome, lotr hobbits are not the same thing as DnD halflings.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.