420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Werewolf the Apocalypse or Werewolf the Foresaken? by Caroline Lighthall - Sun, 05 Jul 2015 16:27:07 EST ID:F5P7OV4I No.27626 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1436128027511.jpg -(41139B / 40.17KB, 600x363) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 41139
Starting a tabletop gaming crew at my work. Looking into World of Darkness for our first game, most likely Werewolf, because who doesn't fucking love werewolfs right?!

Which system is more preferable? Foresaken or Apocalypse?
Which is more streamlined?
>>
Nigel Gesslefit - Wed, 08 Jul 2015 19:45:59 EST ID:zvkSy9TA No.27628 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Apocalypse has a lot better flavor and overarching storyline to it where Forsaken is kind of shit tbh. Werewolves in Forsaken are pretty much border patrol for the spirit world and constantly get shat on.
>>
Martin Turveyway - Wed, 12 Aug 2015 01:44:18 EST ID:0umIX37n No.27671 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1439358258611.jpg -(156863B / 153.19KB, 706x916) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Having played both for about 3 years each, in my opinion Werewolf: The Forsaken is a much better game. It is "more streamlined" and the lore allows for a greater variety of character types that are power-balanced.
Remember the basic triad; Vampires master the Social, Mages master the Mental and Werewolves master the Physical. They each can do all three, but min-maxed that's where they stand.

In the NWoD, zero experience points, base template, the relative power levels are:
Werewolf > Mage > Promethean > Changeling > Vampire
At around 400 experience points (~40 sessions), it's more like
Mage >> Werewolf > Vampire >> Changeling > Promethean
I'd say it's fair to include any of the Supernaturals in a "party" together except Mages, because they become magnificently OP compared to all others; though, some play groups are totally fine with that since it's the RPing that matters.
>>
Martha Sezzleman - Wed, 12 Aug 2015 11:01:01 EST ID:zvkSy9TA No.27672 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27671
You're forgetting Geist: the Sin-Eaters. I'd place them leftmost in your ranking simply because they have no Masquerade, Veil, Delirium, or Disquiet. They are free to murder, use powers, and in general do whatever the fuck they want because they don't have Morality but a 1-10 scale of how cool their Geist thinks they are. With 400XP, the Promethean wins. Not only does all damage it takes become only 1 bashing per attack, but it can accomplish all sorts of stupid feats. Furthermore, a Sin-Eater with 400xp can make people kill themselves if they fail their resist.
>>
James Pullerbut - Thu, 06 Oct 2016 06:55:45 EST ID:h+Ublh1C No.28306 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I've been playing Apocalypse for a while now, and I love it thus far. It's a lot easier to mesh a lot of different styles in comparison to Forsaken..

We've a pretty wide variety of characters too, which is obscenely interesting.
>>
Martha Crickleson - Thu, 20 Oct 2016 12:43:22 EST ID:ZJhX+kXl No.28314 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1476981802836.gif -(60233B / 58.82KB, 323x207) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I only ever played the old World of Darkness games as a kid and just the idea of different supernaturals in the same party boggles me. They're not supposed to get along, and their respective societies would never tolerate it.

But this is the new WoD, I guess.
>>
Phyllis Mopperstit - Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:59:37 EST ID:fJ05y+ly No.28317 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>27626
Scrolling past, read that as "Werewolf The Foreskin", nearly spat my drink out.

Goddamnit.
>>
17/17 - Thu, 05 Jan 2017 06:02:48 EST ID:xvf51OnP No.28367 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1483614168252.jpg -(202681B / 197.93KB, 700x1000) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I prefer the term LYCANs
>>
4Drumpf - Wed, 05 Apr 2017 06:11:21 EST ID:eMsKBBvq No.28475 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1491387081271.jpg -(112231B / 109.60KB, 848x816) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
The Moon
>>
Eugene Dushshit - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 03:13:46 EST ID:f6b1MR7X No.28488 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Its generally been my experience that getting enough players who either share or are willing to try to see what its like to sympathize with a radical political viewpoint to play this game is very difficult, but very rewarding. Thats for werewolf the apocolypse.

I think that Forsaken is much more task oriented focused game. You have a general mission statement and are more reactive to external threats than you are to pursuing your own agenda. This makes it easier to form a pack, but murkier about what it is you are all doing together.
>>
Eugene Dushshit - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 03:15:05 EST ID:f6b1MR7X No.28489 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28488
also, the new WoD game is much more streamlined, the writers of the system had a much better grasp of probability and what its like actually rolling dice to resolve conflict.
>>
Eugene Dushshit - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 03:17:55 EST ID:f6b1MR7X No.28490 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28489
its a better system.

I kind of wish they would take the system from Forsaken, take the Background from Apocolypse and do a mash up knowing now what we do about "Grimdark" settings and what their general appeal is, and just generally make werewolves a lot more morally ambiguous and subtly evil.
>>
Eugene Dushshit - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 03:30:09 EST ID:f6b1MR7X No.28491 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Like really, just take out all that shit about dominatrixes and lay it squarely on the Furies, cause that is where it fucking belongs. Show people how fucking creepy it can get. Basically 90% of the behavior they accuse the Black Spiral Dancers of doing they are themselves guilty of.

They kidnap kids, put them through dangerous trials, induct them into their ideology, then either release them back to their parents like a terrorist cell member on standby or they end up migrating and running with a garou pack.

That shit sounds pretty fucking hardcore to me. But in the context of D&D, and not the "real world" people do fucked up shit all the time. They already have things like the kobold dellema, i.e. killing the children of the "monsters" you killed. People in D&D do fucked up shit all the time without even thinking about the consequences. Hell, I even threatened to cut off a kobolds balls once, I stood by and watched helplessly while my party slaghtered them. I couldnt' bring myself to participate, it just felt too real to me, like somehow it struck a chord.

What I'm saying is that players need a reason to reign it in a little, and the best system for doing that is with reknown. Make a big deal out of the scar rituals and the tribal tats and the benefits of having high reknown. You gotta make them feel proud of themselves, like their characters accomplishments mean something.
>>
Eugene Dushshit - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 03:33:24 EST ID:f6b1MR7X No.28492 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You need to develop a committment to a character and an investment in the setting. Like having a wood etching of the garou's marks that you carved yourself, made out of polished wood. I'm not sure about say, laquer, but turtle wax or something maybe. (Like the kind people use for their cars)
>>
Eugene Dushshit - Sun, 09 Apr 2017 03:37:42 EST ID:f6b1MR7X No.28493 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The point is, you need things like props, funny voices, strange modes of speech. You need things like music to produce the atmosphere but it needs to be ambient, sort of hidden in the background.

I used to like bands that contained a lot of political lyrics, but I realized that they are immersion breaking at the table, people are too busy listening to the lyrics and the rythyms. They are either getting too into it or its turning them off.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.