420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

penis pump

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Being the DnD guy of the group by Emma Hoddleville - Wed, 29 Jun 2016 03:46:44 EST ID:HXpK6ZWi No.28171 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1467186404474.jpg -(418965B / 409.15KB, 1300x1001) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 418965
I recently got a group of my friends interested in playing D&D for the first time. Since i'm the one with the most experience it was kind of expected that I be the DM for the game. I have zero experience running a full game. The world building and story telling part don't cause me concern as much as the numbers part. Someone is going to ask "Can I shoot that guy directly in the eye with my arrow?" and it's going to take 15 minutes for me to look up the specific rule that applies.

Making combat encounters that have adequate xp rewards for players to level often enough worries me.

Is it all really a matter of making sure each player does something in each sort of encounter and giving them a predetermined amount of xp for each night or should the obtaining of xp be purely dictated by the value charts in the book and how many enemies they defeat.

Most situations are dealt with by rolling a d20 and adding a pertinent stat but how are the Difficulty Classes set? Is that purely up to the DM's judgment or is there something in the books for most general situations.

I'm probably going to run 5e but i'm interested in Pathfinder. I only really have experience with 3.5. Does anyone have any good resources or cheatsheets for helping me run this campaign as painlessly as possible? I really want to keep it RP heavy with only the occasional combat encounter to punctuate moments in the story or their adventures.
Halp.
>>
PathFound - Wed, 29 Jun 2016 12:08:00 EST ID:q06U9GdN No.28172 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1467216480157.jpg -(162697B / 158.88KB, 589x632) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
idk about 5e but here's a link to a good pathfinder site
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/home
(combat rules and XP are under GameMastering, DCs are listed in the various skills)
I recommend you award bonus xp based on role play in addition to encounters as to reward and encourage people to get into character.
>>
Augustus Pugglestone - Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:33:04 EST ID:aUj65hdo No.28181 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28171
5e is probably the easiest to remember. Just bring DCs for common stuff. DCs are subjective. Think about how often you want a proficient or non proficient character or one with what what abilities to pass. ie how hard should this be for that sort of person.

Consider this. DC 11 will be passed by someone with no modifiers half the time. Someone with proficiency and a lot of talent (ie +3 in their stat) will pass 3/4 of the time. DC 16 will be a pass 3/4 of the time or half for that skilled one. DC20+ is for something difficult and 25+ for the genuinely astounding, even the inexperienced but promising talent can assume they will fail. DC of 5 is basically "If you know how to do this you only fail if you fuck up and everyone else will still pass normally". ie it's piss easy but you don't want it to be a given.

Remember if there's situational shit most of the time give them advantage or disadvantage. Climbing a rough wall with a rope might be DC5 or 10, in rain you might have disadvantage, if a mage lowered gravity it might become advantage.

In the end whatever you prepare players will do something else so have this rule of thumb handy. If you notice patterns start preparing ahead. In the mean time plan out how hard you want checks to be and what advantages they can lever. If you're RPing and your PCs want to be persuading something maybe work out if certain people are easier to intimidate or persuade or lie to and what lines will give advantage or disadvantage. Also plenty of checks will be opposed so have the other party's modifier if they're likely to be trying to hide from or spot the players for example.
>>
Fucking Herringbod - Fri, 29 Jul 2016 02:23:59 EST ID:h0SGYYku No.28212 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28171

I can give you access to my Google Drive folder with a digital metric fuckton of books.
>>
Shitting Deddlestock - Sat, 30 Jul 2016 22:21:56 EST ID:HXpK6ZWi No.28214 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1469931716851.jpg -(86426B / 84.40KB, 1073x738) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>28212

That would be greatly appreciated!
>>
Angus Clacklesten - Mon, 01 Aug 2016 21:43:31 EST ID:HXpK6ZWi No.28215 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1470102211533.jpg -(1952263B / 1.86MB, 3264x2448) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
I've sketched up the world.

Am I going about this wrong? Should I just have general story bullet points and describe stuff as we go along / have i doomed myself by making too much stuff I have to keep up with?
>>
Molly Sidgemeg - Thu, 04 Aug 2016 20:59:14 EST ID:h0SGYYku No.28218 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1470358754830.png -(46920B / 45.82KB, 151x191) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>28214

I only have 3.X. Every other edition is swill, in my opinion.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwq85H88BF03bTJhd19nR0NnY00&usp=sharing

There are duplicates, too many to go through for me to care lol.
>>
Simon Clemmlekere - Sat, 06 Aug 2016 20:40:56 EST ID:HXpK6ZWi No.28224 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1470530456660.jpg -(44010B / 42.98KB, 453x429) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>28218

Awesome, thank you.
>>
Reuben Clisslegold - Sun, 07 Aug 2016 22:14:46 EST ID:h0SGYYku No.28229 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1470622486043.jpg -(1559633B / 1.49MB, 3509x2550) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>28224

This is the map my DM drew about 9 years ago of his world. We still use it to this day.
>>
Graham Snodson - Tue, 16 Aug 2016 19:45:44 EST ID:nCFwVNV9 No.28239 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28229
>Shart
Sounds like an interesting world.
>>
Molly Pushberk - Wed, 17 Aug 2016 13:43:58 EST ID:h0SGYYku No.28240 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28239

Yeah, that continent name always makes me laugh. We never go there, but our next campaign is starting out there in Kandid.
>>
Jenny Nicklewater - Wed, 17 Aug 2016 19:05:27 EST ID:QqdX5b3a No.28242 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28240
>Lets go to Kandid on holday?
>It's in Shart
>Norin it is then.
>>
Charlotte Bunbury - Wed, 17 Aug 2016 23:18:55 EST ID:h0SGYYku No.28243 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28242

Norin has a bunch of dragonoid creatures living there, with only one "city" if you can call it that. Don't let the map fool you, that whole planet is 3x the size of Earth. Porith is the capitol city of the Blood Empire. It's diameter is literally the widest part of Texas, and is "cake tiered" 10 levels up, about 10-15km up, and 4 levels down (that's the furthest people have gotten to, the city itself is well over a few thousand years old). Such a fun world to have as your D&D playground.
>>
Barnaby Grimman - Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:25:10 EST ID:5ghovzdV No.28249 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28243
So I just took over DMing, new party as I have a world and some shit planned.

Halfway through the rolling session.
>let people use the 4d6 method
>Guys lets do it
>dwarf party
>rock puns everywhere
>Average int stat of 9 and this is with the mage being int 17 (though probably also str 17)
>6 fucking dwarves, 3 play music instruments
>One lived in a cave off funny mushrooms for her entire childhood... so 30 years
>BWARRRPPP BARD PLAYS A GIANT HORN
>I USE STONECUNNING WITH MY 6 INT

Buckle up. It's going to be a wild ride. Fortunately once the characters are done I probably only need to tweak things a bit to make this shit work. The challenge is going to be letting this fucking lunacy shine without going off the rails.
>>
Lydia Gebberford - Wed, 31 Aug 2016 14:53:16 EST ID:ykLv1IZk No.28251 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28249
Think about making dungeons with metal walls with this many dwarves, especially if you don't want them stone cutting and skipping shit/ ruining dungeons.
Alternatively you could have them do engineering checks with their 6 it's and if they fail, caves/ tunnels collapse
As for the chaos aspect... I'd say let them go wild but if they start to cross into problematic territory have authorities or something similar step in to show them that they can't get away with everything . But let them have their fun it is a game after all, and being too strict might turn some people away from the hobby.
I hope this helps.
>>
Caroline Blatherstock - Wed, 31 Aug 2016 18:07:26 EST ID:5ghovzdV No.28252 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28251
To be honest as I've played with most of these guys I don't expect powergaming. I expect a clusterfuck.

I'm just trying to work out how to keep the characters in character and engaged without the stoned druid or the raging barb upsetting the guards. I expect them to do things like dig down into dungeons and forget they're going to fall when they cut the floor out from beneath them. I think the problem is going to be them forcing me to fuck them up and a TPK in a complete unscripted encounter (ie not even a random one) early on in the campaign.

If we can make this work it'll be awesome. It's going to be a case of trying to collectively balance actually going in a direction with it being fun. Our last campaign went from serious to slapstick within 2 hours and culminated in a warlock walking a robot dog so it could take a shit and bury it. This party is expected to actually fight things but I need to make sure I leave them a few open ended problems with some pre defined solutions so that they can ignore them and blunder their way through them in a completely unexpected fashion.
>>
Hannah Fezzlefield - Thu, 01 Sep 2016 03:56:02 EST ID:ykLv1IZk No.28253 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28252
The group I Play with is usually pretty serious so I'm not very well equipped to help with such a conundrum. As for keeping them in character without causing problems with npcs is probably going to be very difficult. Perhaps a good route to go is have them adventure through a few towns with shitty guards. Or perhaps arrest the characters early on to let them know you're not afraid to call them on bafoonary.

As for pulling them along a story without them feeling on rails just make the hooks something they can't resist in character. Maybe wait a few sessions and see how the party typically goes about things and use this to your advantage, for instance if they decide they want to go steal a bunch of gold maybe they find a small chest with gold and a treasure map which leads to a plot hook.

There's also the option of coming to your players before you start one session and let them know that you don't want the campaign to become too slapstick and look for a compromise. As the gm/DM communication outside of game can be one of your most important tools.
>>
Basil Blackbanks - Thu, 01 Sep 2016 12:34:47 EST ID:5ghovzdV No.28254 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28253
Good advice though really I don't mind it being slapstick as long as it doesn't collapse under slapstick.
>>
Basil Brookdale - Fri, 14 Apr 2017 00:33:54 EST ID:x9XOSvSp No.28507 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1492144434335.jpg -(341371B / 333.37KB, 640x927) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Remember Rule Zero: have fun.
>>
Emma Hinkindock - Fri, 14 Apr 2017 05:08:38 EST ID:fg2ptQC8 No.28508 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>28507
I was the dwarf guy though I think my IP changes sometimes

My group all bailed at the last possible second and were unavailable for ages after. One or two were more into it and one or two have always been flaky as fuck. I burned everything made a new group, we don't have many games because a couple of the younger players are less available but everyone turns up when they say they will and doesn't cancel on the day. I played a bit of dark heresy with most of the previous group and session 1 had 1 player literally drop out on the day, it was a bitch to get to and I'd stressed out getting there in a week when my grandmother had died and I had an interview the next day.

So anyway I am not playing with those people. My current group treats my time like it matters.

So the young ins in my current group and the oldest of my previous group are the limiting factor. I have a friend who plays weekly with a bunch of people his/our age ie 30ish and I envy that. But at least my sessions happen and so far I've not had all but 2 people drop out on the day. If I could find another more available player I'd like to talk one of the other guys in my group into DMing and running a party of 3 more often, because once a month is good and all but a) not that much and b) i want to be a player at some point.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.