Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan's Canada Cannabis Legalization Logitech Giveaway

We're giving away Logitech hardware to lucky 420chan users to celebrate recreational legalization on October 17!
Round 1 Giveaway Entry     Discussion Thread
Pipe smoking imo the best way to ingest tobacco by Sidney Damblelock - Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:44:08 EST ID:EBgZxt90 No.173794 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1514565848439.jpg -(45672B / 44.60KB, 500x357) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 45672
Just for Christmas this year my girlfriend bought me a Capri tobacco pipe and two kinds of tobacco. I quit cigarettes a few weeks ago and have been on the patch to cull my withdraw but I must say pipe smoking has done the best job at keeping me from ever wanting a cigarette again!

I've also come to find out it's the least harmful way to ingest tobacco according to the surgeons general your chances of getting cancer from it are about the same as someone who is subjected to second hand smoke. Now I'm not trying to squander other mediums of ingesting tobacco or nicotine for that matter. To each their own but if you haven't tried pipe smoking I recommend it. Also i thought I'd start a pipe smoking general thread. I apologize in advanced if there is one already.

Cheers /tobacco/
>>
Simon Doffinggold - Sat, 30 Dec 2017 19:07:05 EST ID:bWTfWIYj No.173798 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1514678825769.jpg -(428772B / 418.72KB, 1600x1175) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>173794
We have a Pipe Dreamers General here:
http://boards.420chan.org/tobacco/res/173594.php
And a longer older pipe thread here:
http://boards.420chan.org/tobacco/res/171591.php

We have so few pipers though that they fall to the back pages all the time. We'd have to organize a regular pipe sunday hang or something to keep it from lagging behind.

Also I'm right there with you, pipes are the comfiest way of ingesting tobacco in my experience. Never really fell in love with tobacco before pipes, luckily for me. Feels more like a hobby than habit, learning what methods work for you, finding your tastes in blends, get to know your pipes and care for them.

What blends did you get?
>>
Eliza Churrywun - Mon, 01 Jan 2018 12:54:19 EST ID:/al7Z0qk No.173803 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>173798
I got a aromatic highland whiskey and just a regular cool/mild blend. I plan to dive into the more name brand tobaccos soon. I really want to try Dunhill Nightcap
>>
Samuel Clamblestot - Mon, 01 Jan 2018 16:46:47 EST ID:bWTfWIYj No.173805 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>173803
Nightcap is good stuff, first blend I really enjoyed. Also in my experience latakia blends tend to be the most forgiving when you're just starting out, easier to smoke and you don't have to search for the flavor. It's not for everybody though.

Also since you only have one pipe, know that what you smoked in it before will ghost at least a while (nightcap for example will ghost awhile). So if you get adventurous it could be a good idea to pick up some cheap cobs for trying new stuff out, so you don't ruin your pipe with something that just won't come out. Also some blends just don't play nice living in the same pipe, even if they're good kept separate.

Also apologies if I'm telling you stuff you've already read elsewhere.
I check in every once in a while to check if there's any pipe stuff though, so feel free to ask if there's anything.
>>
Martha Worthingshaw - Tue, 02 Jan 2018 15:11:48 EST ID:2Jux8C6B No.173806 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Smoking Pipes is a good website for everything in the hobby, with a grand collection of tobaccos (which I hope doesn't overwhelm you) and pipes that reach exorbitant prices. I usually just shop this one for pipes because their collection is extensive and the descriptions for many pipes are the best I've ever seen.

Pipes and tobacco is another one which I feel is a little more "average joe" and not as hipster or connoisseur as the previous website. Offers everything the other one has but I think focuses more on moving tobacco and cigars. Prices are a bit lower here, but being from U.S. even high quality pipe tobacco isn't very spendy IMO. I think its on of the reasons why this hobby is superior.

Tobacco Reviews is one of the best resources I have ever encountered on this journey. So many reviews of every popular blend and others. If I hear about a mixture that's new to me, I usually check it out here and see what other have said. It helps me decide if it's worth my interest and money. Coincidentally Nightcap is highly rated.

Pipestud is a dude from Texas who has a online pipe consignment shop, but also frequently carries tins and sealed bags of vintage and aged tobacco. Little gem for us newer generation of pipers that started smoking way after some legendary mixes went the way of the dodo. Cope Escudo anyone?

In my city I'm lucky enough to have a pretty good brick and mortar. They carry bulk from well known companies at good prices, but their tins are a little outrageous. There is a decent sized retirement community here so I try thrift stores for pipes, I find a few every now and again. If you can get over looks it get easier. Corn cobs from Missouri Meerschaum, or Old Dominion can be had for around $10, require no break in, can be smoked pretty much all day, and provide a cool dry smoke. They just make you look like a silly hillbilly. I used to not smoke them in public when I started. But they make perfect sense as a going out pipe because if they ever get lost, stolen, broken its no big deal. I lost my first pipe at the beach and it sucks and I regret it till this day. It was a vintage Italian briar bulldog... such beautiful sandblasting. I still don't own a sandblasted pipe after nearly 10 years
>>
Nathaniel Dillyfield - Wed, 03 Jan 2018 21:09:14 EST ID:bWTfWIYj No.173808 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1515031754672.jpg -(1350186B / 1.29MB, 1728x1127) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>173806
Old Dominion cobs have a rep of burning through though, just saying. Don't know if they ever fixed it, but there was a thread of 10+ people on some forum where they all burned through several pipes each after only a handful of bowls. MM is quality stuff though.

Sandblasted pipes are the bomb. My first three pipes were sandblasted, and when I finally got a smooth one it almost felt wrong to touch it. Even more so when you actually smoke it, it's so seldom otherwise you feel hot yet smooth wood in your hands, an alien experience.

Also to add a resource, 4noggins has been my goto for ordering tobacco, and I don't even live in the states. Great service and good selection, though the owner changed just now in December, haven't had to deal with the new one yet.
>>
Alice Chushgold - Thu, 04 Jan 2018 09:21:05 EST ID:2Jux8C6B No.173809 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>173808
I've been ignorant of that fact. They are pretty rudimentary cobs. they don't replace the bottom of the bowl with hardwood or anything like MM does. But it's also the reason I recommend because they don't use any glue, they're made to be actually used just like MM. Smoke shops, general and dollar stores may carry corn cobs, but most of the time you'll find the stem glued in place into the bowl and questionable varnishes because they were meant for costume/ornamental use. Do you know if those customers ever got refunds/exchanges? I've had about 15-20 smokes from mine. I had one other that I poked through the bottom while cleaning. Though in it's defense I had just finished smoking so it was still warm and I used a clumsy amount of strength while scratching around the bowl with my pipe tool that has a pointed tip.
>>
Alice Chushgold - Thu, 04 Jan 2018 09:55:08 EST ID:2Jux8C6B No.173810 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>173808
For me it's all about the looks. They look the most interesting to me. I clench my pipes most of the time but def try to avoid touching the bowl while smoking. I have a morta that gets especially warm.
>>
Nathaniel Dillyfield - Thu, 04 Jan 2018 13:30:43 EST ID:bWTfWIYj No.173811 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>173809
They did get replacements as far as I remember, that burned through as fast as the original ones though.
>>173810
I'm a bit jealous, I'd like to be able to clench, but my teeth aren't really shaped right somehow or something. Doesn't matter how light the pipe is, just doesn't feel comfortable for more than a couple of puffs worth of clenching if I need to grab something. So I can't just go for a walk with a pipe or such. But it's more pleasant to just sit down anyway, and I've found that I taste less of the tobacco if I can't exhale the mouthful of smoke freely. I always drink tea to my pipe as well so it's just as well, would have to take it out of my mouth all the time for each sip.
>>
Alice Chushgold - Thu, 04 Jan 2018 14:33:38 EST ID:2Jux8C6B No.173812 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>173811
Haha aww... what a shame. I remember meeting the owner at a show and he seemed like a good guy. He was genuinely passionate about the historical aspect of his cobs and clay pipes.

I seem to recall full bent stems being the most comfortable and suited to the purpose of clenching. Sounds like you have it all figured out though, honestly.I just had to deal with the jaw discomfort, because most of my smoking is done while driving and walking the dog. It went away after only a few smokes though.
>>
Polly Somblehood - Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:16:04 EST ID:bWTfWIYj No.173817 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>173812
I have an oom paul I tried walking around with once actually, still no deal. Just as well, I've associated having a pipe with a nice sit down and a cup of tea by now so walking around with it just seems like a bother now. And I don't like to draw attention to myself anyway, pipes aren't very usual anymore. I'd hate the stares.

Also just have to share, just got a gift from the past in a way. Got a big bag of cheap bulk that had gotten good reviews, but it always bit when I sampled it in the past no matter what I did. But now a few years later it's quieted down. Lancers Slices. Just virginia and latakia in huge flakes, but now after the years of sitting its gotten really sweet and the latakia mellowed, so it's just like some kind of slightly salty and smoky caramel. I'm so glad I didn't give it away or toss it to make space.
>>
Samuel Duckstock - Mon, 15 Jan 2018 23:09:54 EST ID:4ki9RMDU No.173818 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I've tried pipe smoking once or twice. It was very nice, flavourful. I don't remember much about the nicotine/alkaloid hit though.

When I have some form of steady income, I may diversify. Thing is, I've gotten my consumption of smoked tobacco down to ~40 cigarettes per year, +/- 10 using vaping as a substitute, and while I'm always swimming in smokeless tobacco I don't keep tobacco prepared for smoking around as I can't keep myself away from it all the time like I can the smokeless forms.
>>
John Brinkintune - Tue, 16 Jan 2018 08:54:48 EST ID:xUW2sEV6 No.173820 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1516110888464.jpg -(116920B / 114.18KB, 1200x800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>173794

Currently puffing on some Kong Frederik Mellow Blend, Danish tobacco. Wonderful stuff; the pipe is a meditation tool, no doubt. A good pilsner, a weed edible, and a pipe; a day well-encapsuled. Praise the Lord.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.