Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Headset Giveaway!

G933 Giveaway     Discussion Thread

Now Playing on /vg/tube -

Compulsive Gaming by Willingly Wilford - Tue, 10 Jul 2018 23:52:29 EST ID:kjRGl+dA No.723261 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1531281149480.jpg -(57671B / 56.32KB, 500x667) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 57671
Maybe I could get some better advice on qq than I would here, but I might post it there too just because it seems like it's a 50-50 split on where the best advice might come from.

I'm a full-time student and recent father to my 1 year-old son. On an average day without a shift I have at absolute max, 5 hours to myself. This is enough time to fit in some very healthy activities such as exercise, reading, practicing a skill/studying medicine or meditating, but I find I will spend at least 1-2 of those hours gaming or seeking games I could play. I seem to target real time-waster games that I can save & exit easily and even slap mods in that make it more challenging or immersive. I never play puzzle games.

There's some real intrigue to gaming that adds a meaningful intention to it, but I don't want it to soak up as much of my free time as it does; it's going beyond my satisfaction and into a weird area of compulsion. Does anyone have any lifestyle tips for moderating the time spent? I'd like to develop a sort of quantified life app to 'gamify' my life as I think my life really lacks a delineated set of goals to achieve, despite everything I've signed up to.
>>
Desmond Miles - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 00:36:07 EST ID:7c6nS55A No.723264 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Don't play anything addictive. That can include RPGs or competitive games or anything you find yourself coming back to repeatedly. They will eat your time quickly and make you feel like shit after you finish a session and realize you have shit to do in 5 hours. It's fun while you're doing it but it does nothing to improve your life.

It's just part of growing up. You either take the red pill and find more wholesome ways to spend your time, or take the blue pill and escape reality. Anyone who has a great life is not going to spend tons of time playing games. If they think they do, they will get older quickly and wish they had spend their time differently. Games are an escape from reality. Everyone needs escapes but they must be chosen wisely and moderated.

My advice if you must game is to find games that don't have tons of addictive interaction, have an immersive story, a topic relevant to your life/interests, and a conclusion that leaves you with a lasting emotional impression. Once you're done with it you're done and move on with your life, just like a movie. Things like Soma, Observer, Night Shift come to mind for me. Maybe games that you play only with IRL friends occasionally so you're at least getting a healthy dose of social activity.

But the honest truth is that unless you're a cripple, a hopeless social outcast, somebody with no hope of ever living a fulfilling life, there's ALWAYS better ways to spend your time than playing games. The problem is that games used to be childish and simple but now they are so deep and cover so many topics that even adults are attracted to them.

As far as an app that that gives you goals in life, there's been plenty of those but they never really work IMO. They're never fun because they're not really games, and they don't work because the rewards are not real rewards. Life itself should be an RPG, you shouldn't need artificial rewards to achieve real goals. Real goals should have real rewards. If that's not happening you need to re-evaluate your life and find your purpose.
>>
Desmond Miles - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 00:39:14 EST ID:7c6nS55A No.723265 Ignore Report Quick Reply
It's just really hard to do because there are so many games that you will have to willingly ignore and never experience, no matter how awesome they seem, but that's called being a responsible adult. nb
>>
Kazuma Kiryu - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 01:41:30 EST ID:M7KQJIH8 No.723268 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531287690660.jpg -(31788B / 31.04KB, 480x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Get your fucking priorities straight. Drop out and murder your baby.
>>
Willingly Wilford - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 04:10:50 EST ID:kjRGl+dA No.723273 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531296650426.jpg -(311348B / 304.05KB, 876x847) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723264
Some good points there about playing a game for a meaningful experience, like one would watch a movie, read a book or attend a debate. I guess it's just really uncomfortable to leave behind something I love; at one point I was modelling, animating and designing games, so I really enjoy taking them apart at the front-end while I play. I think you're right about spending time on better things. I've currently got no games left on my PC and I have had no cravings to vanish into one for the last 4 days. I'm glad others are enjoying it but maybe it's time to move on, maybe come back later when my son can take part.

>About Life as an RPG game...
I had an app called 'Life RPG' on the android which wasn't half bad; the user has to configure what skills they're levelling up, set their difficulty and quantify the reward. You could set it up so doing a series of physical tasks (cardio, kickboxing, weights) might contribute to a 'Warrior' skill set, or whatever class you're building. It did well to create an interface and track your quest, but lacked any sort of narrative to intrigue the user. I think that if you're willing to sit down and delineate all the variables for your character card, why not also delineate your adversities/enemies and create a way to make them fight each other?

All this is on the premise that players won't cheat the game because they'd be cheating themselves in the end. A minimalist DND style RPG with various campaigns that progress based on how well you've (reportedly) succeeded in the real world. Wanna take on that temple? You'd probably get wasted because you haven't followed your exercise goals. Want to learn that spell? Finish the damn book you're reading. Want to get better deals in the market? Go out and complete some real-world social activities like hanging out with friends or attending a community event. You choose what it is but just make sure you follow through on it if you want to be the hero of your quest.

>>723268 That's pretty funny. It's fucked up that someone did that even for a joke but then I used to support kids who were taken away from their parents for legitimately putting their kids in an actual oven so they could snort coke. For the most part I think I have been doing OK. I haven't failed a single paper and my child is meeting his milestones, is happy and well. I'm not neglecting my life like someone seriously addicted to a substance might. I think I just have some depressive mental health issues that make me want to escape myself instead of improving it.
>>
Ryu Hoshi - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:20:47 EST ID:tGUsrabY No.723286 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723273
Addiction is marked by continued behavior in the face of adverse consequences. Since your life is doing fine you are not addicted. Addicts also are usually in denial about the situation, not questioning stuff. Just give your self a game night every other day of the week or something, schedule time meant for gaming and stick to it. Taco and Tomb Raider Tuesday, something like that.
>>
Sonson - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:48:04 EST ID:GuHBejpD No.723290 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723261
Think of it like this, you are in a stressful life situation where you probably feel a lot of guilt when you enjoy anything.

School and family can crush you with feelings that you aren't doing enough or if you had more control you would be so much better.

If playing games is something you enjoy, 5 hrs a day is not addictive at all. If you enjoyed making birdhouses or reading and did it 5 hours a day I dont think anyone would complain.

If it feels good, do it.
>>
Ivy Valentine - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:55:56 EST ID:X6tPd+tk No.723291 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531324556026.jpg -(141690B / 138.37KB, 500x761) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
what better things could you be doing? are you gonna go in the garage, fire up the table saw, build a couple planters, plant some plants in your planters, and then make a nice garden out of your planted planter plants or are you just gonna do something equally useless and entertainment oriented but more socially acceptable?

i'm just saying i feel like calling it time wasted is a bit of a misnomer. unless you're gonna start working out or studying a subject (like really studying not just cruising through wikipedia) or doing something tangible to benefit your house / family (definitely including cleaning / general home maintenance), then you're not 'wasting' it by playing video games any more than you would doing something else.
>>
Gordon Freeman - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:55:46 EST ID:amPPqXPW No.723298 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723291
I think one of the important things here is make sure you're not absconding from other duties like your family and house. But yeah. If your life is unsatisfying you should look at how to advance your career and what you can do to give your kid the best chance they can get to be a happy, decent and successful person. Those can be broken down into tangible goals and those broken down into activities you can grind.

However some alone time is needed, make sure you both get that. I worked with a guy with a one year old son and he'd play football and run triathlons but he'd also take the baby while his wife went to dancing classes. And they'd both have the odd date night or whatever and spend time on each other. I also knew a guy who had 2 kids and a wife who just spent all his evenings play WOW despite being insistent he wanted kids. He very nearly lost all 3.

As long as you're balancing your shit and so is everyone else it's good.
>>
Jill Valentine - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 22:55:06 EST ID:bI7e+t91 No.723320 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531364106215.jpg -(43624B / 42.60KB, 275x417) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Look at these stallions talking like this guy lacks priorities or is irresponsible because he plays vidyagames 1 - 2 hours a night. That's fucking nothing. The average American watches like 30 hours of television a week. Let the guy have a hobby you tryhards, not every single thing you do has to be productive out the ass. He works and takes care of his kid. Downtime is important too.
>>
Birdo - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 23:17:19 EST ID:tGUsrabY No.723321 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723320
Pretty much nobody said anything like that
>>
Jill Valentine - Wed, 11 Jul 2018 23:26:12 EST ID:bI7e+t91 No.723323 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531365972215.jpg -(37973B / 37.08KB, 800x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723321
im gonna suck your dick right off and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
Birdo - Thu, 12 Jul 2018 01:41:53 EST ID:tGUsrabY No.723332 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531374113932.gif -(16185B / 15.81KB, 106x132) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723323
Step up to the mic
>>
Johnny Cage - Thu, 12 Jul 2018 17:38:44 EST ID:kjRGl+dA No.723361 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723320
Just to clarify, I have developed a heavy reliance on gaming to decompress, which has then turned into a compulsive activity in which I ignore anything but the most essential duties. I might play with my child, feed him, do his cares, but if he'd wake up earlier than I expected from his nap I would feel very disappointed that my gaming was not the 90 minutes I'd hoped for.

I really don't care as much about games as I used to; my life has just been very intense lately and there's an instinct to escape that through gaming. I am back in a pattern of scheduling my day with tasks in mind which engage and add complexity to my mind. I know that if I persisted down the path I was on, I would only become more bitter about my life as I dawdle into escapism.

Does anyone have some good approaches to the inexorably fleeting nature of time and how to spend it? How many of us are just going from one thought to another, always at the coal-face of life and seldom at the helm?
>>
Ghost Riley - Thu, 12 Jul 2018 17:45:59 EST ID:bYlAqGHx No.723362 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723361
You're on 420chan, so obviously I suggested drugs.
>>
Birdo - Thu, 12 Jul 2018 18:17:47 EST ID:tGUsrabY No.723366 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723361
Smoke weed, it lets time feel somehow slower and faster
>>
Naomi Hunter - Thu, 12 Jul 2018 19:29:14 EST ID:uo28BM46 No.723367 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723361
Dude you're fucking depressing. How old is your kid? I have 2 of them, and yea they are alot of work until they hit like age 5 and you can play games with them. Tell your wife to pick up the slack, especially if shes a stay at home mom, not a job by the way. Or be white and pay for a nanny. When my kids were really young, I would play alot of ds games, you can just close that bitch to put it in sleep mode when junior needs something.
>>
Sarah Kerrigan - Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:21:42 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.723373 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531448502300.jpg -(79303B / 77.44KB, 500x612) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723361
>Does anyone have some good approaches to the inexorably fleeting nature of time and how to spend it?
Understand that anything you feel compelled to do is in it's own way escapism.

If you try to categorize what you do by worth, you'll always be thinking about how any particular thing is worthless. Your kid is worthless in the grand scheme of important things you could spend your time on. If you want to be in control of your own life and not burdened by compulsive activity, your kid is just as worthless use of your time as videogames. That's where that line of logic goes.

So instead of thinking of escapism and spent time, think of function and goals. If your goal is to unwind, whatever activity allows you to unwind is worthwhile. If you want to raise a decent kid, whatever activity allows you to do that (included being relaxed enough to handle stressful parenting tasks) is worthwhile. If you aren't enjoying games as much, find an activity you enjoy more, and don't stress that your changing tastes are grounds for a mid-life crisis.
>>
Quistis Trepe - Fri, 13 Jul 2018 19:26:45 EST ID:kjRGl+dA No.723404 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723367
To each their own. I can really say that the skills I've learned of my own volition have given me a small piece of enlightenment and this is why I want to turn down/cease the gaming. It's not like it hasn't given me some genuinely meaningful experiences and knowledge (i learned animation and programming for game design). I just think it's not giving me that thing anymore.

>>723373
I like your foresight on assigning value to things with the inevitable outcome of suffering a loss of value too. I think this mirror-image thinking is what allows us to see opportunities in opposition, or hubris in happiness. I certainly feel compelled to do things that are certainly not escapes, but mostly because they are guarding a threshold to something I want, ie: exams and assignments. I get your point though. I think what you've described is the autotelic and exotelic action; this is an action that is completed for the sake of itself (hobbies, etc) and alternatively the action that is completed for the means of reaching a goal (studies, etc). To me the child is an enigmatic mix of both. I love the moment we're in when we're playing, but I am also trying to build towards him being a secure, happy and good person in the world.

Thanks for your posts guys. This last week or so has felt like a real shift in consciousness. nb
>>
Prangus Mangus - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 00:14:47 EST ID:qDLVQC+L No.723415 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531541687133.jpg -(94151B / 91.94KB, 1080x608) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723261
Piss ups and shit ups.
Every single time you use the restroom you owe yourself 25 push ups and sit ups. If you wanna go the extra mile, go run it.

Eat better, take care of your skin with essential oils and coconut oil if youre not allergic to it, help yourself improve your health. Tea trea oil diluded with water for your hair, eucalyptus or lemongrass mixed with coconut oil or water for your skin. Just enforce good hygiene, healthy diet, eat less junk, and fap less if you fap alot, wash ya bedsheets often and spray them with eucalyptus oil mixed with water to kill dust mites n bed bugs etc.

Overall excersize, diet, work, and hygiene before luxury. Use vidya games like you would a tastey bowl, enjoy it for a good 2-3 hours after getting some work done, a nice reward. Too much is bad, so everything in moderation.

Should you moderate your use and keep it under control and be sure to have your good priorities in check then you should in theory have no problem gaming. If you have your baby next to you and want to game it up that is do-able so long as your priorities are in check, the baby is close by, and you have the volume on low to keep an ear out for them as your eyes and brain are occupied.

Personally I cannot sit down and enjoy a good game sesh without getting my personal tasks done and then having a bowl, knowing I've done some good for the day helps keep peace of mind. It's not an addiction problem if you don't have any serious problem, then it's just a habit. Dat is how Mangus feel.
>>
Prangus Mangus - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 00:16:46 EST ID:qDLVQC+L No.723416 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723415
Also don't get any essential oil on your balls or near your junk on accodent. Shit burns.

Nb
>>
Pyrrha Alexandra - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 00:31:36 EST ID:uKhYx3Wy No.723417 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531542696274.jpg -(8249B / 8.06KB, 253x199) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723415
snatch that grah-vy up!
>>
Heihachi Mishima - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 18:16:16 EST ID:+9Z4jV4c No.723449 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723404
Stop being a pussy about your life and go camping/skydiving/white water rafting/travel to other countries. You sound like a guy who had a kid at age 30 and is now the quasi hipster dad that has to be new age about everything. Go take your kid outdoors.
>>
Mega Man - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 22:58:14 EST ID:PmD0h/dr No.723459 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723417
traaaaaained military veterans
>>
Jax - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 01:40:25 EST ID:kjRGl+dA No.723471 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723449
You're a bit ignorant and salty, but that can happen when you ask gamers for wisdom. You don't demonstrate the knowledge or the critical thinking to synthesise an understanding of me but I'll defend to mild exhaustion your right to say it.

>>723415
That's pretty wholesome advice, thanks.
>>
Cate Archer - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 09:50:38 EST ID:uo28BM46 No.723479 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531662638686.jpg -(373776B / 365.02KB, 1274x830) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723471
You're a student right? Is that why you talk like that? What's your job? Please don't tell me you work at like a call center and go around acting like that. Smoke moar.
>>
Jax - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:38:53 EST ID:kjRGl+dA No.723488 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531694333641.jpg -(7797B / 7.61KB, 244x250) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723479
I get this feeling you're really happy with yourself for about 20 seconds after making posts like that, then the rest of your retarded life just sort of carries on. Wherever and whoever you are, I hope you are okay.
>>
Gunther von Esling - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 19:43:45 EST ID:2ks71SMB No.723493 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531698225090.jpg -(106809B / 104.31KB, 718x608) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723488
But that was the first post I made? Are you happy with your life? You're asking for life advice on a drug board. Advice like that should come from close friends. Not from strangers on the internet. If you're really not getting enjoyment from games, then find another hobby. Also you're concerned about raising your kid right, half of being a good parent is just being there for them. Trust me, just playing a couple rounds of smash bros with your kid is going to mean alot to them. My son found my old ps2 one day without me knowing, I walked in on him playing san andreas at age 8, I wasn't upset, I was proud that he wanted to know what other gtas played like. (If you follow age guideline restrictions then you a bitch)
>>
Felicia - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:02:51 EST ID:2ks71SMB No.723494 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723488
Also heres an example life plan if you're trying to live healthy(only pussies meditate, the fuck, are you Asian or something? )
Say you work from 6 am to 4 pm.
4am-Wake up, run 3 miles, 100 push ups sit ups and squats, stretch etc.
5am eat breakfast and do yo hygiene shit.
6-4 work, I'm including travel time
5 pm-get home eat, play with kid/help with homework
6 pm quality time with family
7-8 30pm Your time to play/watch whatever you want. I know there's interruptions, but consider it a success if you can even chill for 30 min.
10pm is bedtime so I try to get prepared for the next day during that time.
The weekends I use for house/yard work. And more family time. But sometimes I don't have work or my kids out with the grandparents so I have time to play games. I also try to stick to the workout routine, so even on the weekend I wake up early, workout and afterwards just get baked as fuck and chill playing games and shit until the fam wakes up around 9. Its the little moments of free time that matter the most.
>>
Scott Shelby - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:17:27 EST ID:bYlAqGHx No.723495 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723494
>Only alloting 6 hours of sleep.

Doesn't matter how much you work out in the morning, you're still killing your body with that routine.
>>
Tom Reed - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:41:36 EST ID:OH/OGlHP No.723496 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723494
ok but how do you actually live your life
>>
Solid Snake - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:43:00 EST ID:8NuGb901 No.723497 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723495
Ehh, pretty sure there are a million worse things to do to your body than regularly short yourself 2 hours of sleep. TBH even on weekends I have a hard time going longer than that, and I say that as someone who used to do 12-14 hours regularly due to laziness and antipsychotics
>>
Felicia - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:46:04 EST ID:2ks71SMB No.723498 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531701964911.jpg -(132916B / 129.80KB, 680x875) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723495
The adult body only needs 6 hours of sleep. I think? I don't know im not a doctor. I know it's not too healthy, but I'm never really too tired. I slack on the schedule sometimes too, sleep in on the weekends and such. I know some illegal Mexicans that work 120 hour work weeks though. I tell them they're killing their body but they don't listen. They're doing drywall too, I don't know if y'all know, but it's not the easiest of work. But still, some of those guys are in their 60s doing that shit, they're probably not going to make it to 80.
>>
HK-47 - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 22:40:01 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.723503 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723495
People have varying needs for sleep, you know.
>>
Vectorman - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:03:59 EST ID:4Lf6Zntr No.723504 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723498
7.5 hours - your brain floods itself with a chemical at this sorta point that is the healing part of sleep. everything before is shorting yourself.
>>
Dirk the Daring - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:36:20 EST ID:M7KQJIH8 No.723507 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531712180018.jpg -(266215B / 259.98KB, 971x2430) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723503
Yeah, and the bare minimum for most people is seven hours. And that's only if you're in your 60s and not very active. If you're in prime age, plus expending tons of energy with morning exercise you need a lot more.
>>
HK-47 - Mon, 16 Jul 2018 00:57:20 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.723509 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723507
>for most people
I mean individual variation as well as variation across ages.

There's lots of variation in terms of sleep cycles, circadian rhythms, environmental disturbances and whatnot. All of those things will make a big difference to how many hours you need to lay down for in order to be recharged.

Pretending there is a hard and fast rule to sleep hygiene is why people have such crap sleep hygiene these days.
>>
Alucard - Mon, 16 Jul 2018 01:21:56 EST ID:uo28BM46 No.723510 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531718516410.jpg -(72616B / 70.91KB, 500x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723507
Tell that to the game developers, or manga artists. Or go work in a produce factory, 60 hr work weeks were the usual, so 5 12 hour days. 11 of those hours on your feet. Also have you ever talked to anybody who has been in the military? During basic, most people only get 3-4 hours a night.
>>
HK-47 - Mon, 16 Jul 2018 01:28:16 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.723511 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723510
Or politicians, or academics, or any profession that needs to be on call for emergencies.

Sure you burn out if you get chronically not enough sleep, but the idea that less than six will definitely kill you is stupid. The correct amount is however much it takes you to feel rested, for roughly the same time each day.
>>
Dirk the Daring - Mon, 16 Jul 2018 02:41:19 EST ID:M7KQJIH8 No.723513 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531723279018.jpg -(43615B / 42.59KB, 720x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723510
I don't know what point you think you're making by citing a bunch of professions where people are chronically sleep deprived, because whatever it is, it has nothing to do with what I'm trying to say. I'm not arguing that you can't function on less sleep than the bare minimum most people need. Plenty of people get by on 4 or 6 hours a night, and of course it's not literally killing your body. I'm saying it's not healthy, and you would almost certainly function better if you got more sleep. Getting up at 4 AM and working out is great, but the health benefits of doing so are going to be hobbled if you only got 6, as opposed to 8 hours of sleep beforehand. The dude I was replying to would be probably be better off reallocating his evening leisure time and going to bed earlier. The odds that he's in the minority of people that can be fully rested on 6 hours at what I'm assuming are his late 20s or early 30s, is super low, and he would probably be better off shaving two hours from playing video games or whatever else and just getting more sleep.
>>
HK-47 - Mon, 16 Jul 2018 05:36:35 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.723518 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723513
>I'm saying it's not healthy, and you would almost certainly function better if you got more sleep.
>reallocating his evening leisure time and going to bed earlier.
>just getting more sleep

The dude structured his day so that leisure time is the last thing before bed. That way, if he feels tired sooner, he can go to bed slightly earlier and not wreck his whole schedule. That's a good schedule that allows someone to gauge exactly how much sleep is enough. And besides, just going to bed earlier really does not guarantee you any more sleep or better quality sleep. The most basic advice for insomnia is not to be in bed if you aren't tired. Another bit of advice is that if you're not sleeping, the next best thing to be doing is relaxing.

I get what you're saying in terms of the basic need for sleep, especially when you're working out to build muscle.
But understand that what people need is not to follow some arbitrary time rule, but to have a strategy that allows them high quality sleep in the right amount for them.
>>
Liquid Snake - Mon, 16 Jul 2018 06:26:43 EST ID:kjRGl+dA No.723520 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723493
I figured that drug users know a thing or two about balancing out their tempting vices with ordinary life to make it sustainable. I think you assume quite a lot of me; I was only looking for some lifestyle pointers to consider.

>>723494
Ah there it is. I'm not Asian but I've taught myself mandarin and practiced a number of martial arts that eventually lead me to meditation. Reflective practice is also a part of my healthcare occupation. If you understood how meditation is applied, you'd probably like it. Most people could use a form of somatic quietening that doesn't involve burning all your energy up.

6 hours of sleep is a bad idea at any age. Your brain is undergoing damage and building plaque throughout the day. The stress caused even by exercise must be restored by getting ample sleep.

IDK man, I appreciate your point and I look forward to playing games with my son but at this time I'd rather just enjoy the world around me; I think I've deconstructed so many games in my mind that it's either I get back into designing my own or just challenge myself more meaningfully.

Thanks in finality.
>>
Vectorman - Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:27:42 EST ID:4Lf6Zntr No.723522 Ignore Report Quick Reply
relevant:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/24/why-lack-of-sleep-health-worst-enemy-matthew-walker-why-we-sleep
>>
HK-47 - Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:45:56 EST ID:SmuKHQlf No.723523 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723522
>“First, we electrified the night,” Walker says. “Light is a profound degrader of our sleep. Second, there is the issue of work: not only the porous borders between when you start and finish, but longer commuter times, too. No one wants to give up time with their family or entertainment, so they give up sleep instead. And anxiety plays a part. We’re a lonelier, more depressed society. Alcohol and caffeine are more widely available. All these are the enemies of sleep.”

>Will Why We Sleep have the impact its author hopes? I’m not sure: the science bits, it must be said, require some concentration. But what I can tell you is that it had a powerful effect on me. After reading it, I was absolutely determined to go to bed earlier

That's exactly how the the important nuances of sleep hygiene are lost.
The guy elaborates on pretty much everything that isn't going to bed early, but instead of reducing light and noise or placing stress relief as a high priority, the reporter just say "Oh, I'll go to bed earlier, that'll do it."
>>
Sephiroth - Mon, 16 Jul 2018 10:51:00 EST ID:2xRL59Kz No.723527 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1531752660030.jpg -(570430B / 557.06KB, 1000x1000) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723523
That schedule I posted earlier is something I try to aim for, I probably only stick to it 4 days out of the week. Sometimes I skip the workout and play games instead or watch anime because im a fucking weeaboo. Or I just sleep in a little longer. Sometimes I work 3 12 hour days, and then a half day, so I have 3 full days off. My work weeks vary, thats why I try to stick to that schedule, it kinda becomes a habit when my hours are stable. I never thought sleeping only 6 hours was that bad though. A couple dabs and a brew knock me out too so I don't have trouble sleeping. It is alot of work to balance work, family time and gaming. Good thing my wife and kids are weeaboos too, so alot of family time consists of Smash bros or a Tales of game.
>>
Vincent Valentine - Thu, 01 Nov 2018 04:27:59 EST ID:nhK1netl No.728799 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1541060879771.jpg -(119101B / 116.31KB, 850x765) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>723527
Sleep is for the weak
>>
Sweet Tooth - Thu, 01 Nov 2018 10:16:57 EST ID:5yMaJwR6 No.728822 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1541081817280.png -(71610B / 69.93KB, 1364x848) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>I'm not neglecting my life like someone seriously addicted to a substance might. I think I just have some depressive mental health issues that make me want to escape myself instead of improving it.
What most people call "depression" is actually "existence." Life is suffering. We all want to escape it, but we can't.

We can escape it in small places, though. Video games are one way. Drugs or alcohol are another.

Escaping a bit is a way to feel peace and calm and nothing amid the noise and chaos around you. It's OK to allow yourself these times, as long as it isn't taking over your life and making you dysfunctional.

We're all just trying to run the race until we hit the finish line with our arms in the air: DEATH. There is no goal, we have no inherent mission. We are here to find what's good in the meantime. What makes us enjoy being alive, in a way that isn't destructive to other things that let us enjoy being alive. Your job is to balance it all. Find the optimal balance that makes you not happy (perpetually) ... but, at least, makes the hard parts of existing tolerable.
>>
Sabrewulf - Tue, 06 Nov 2018 08:00:42 EST ID:nhK1netl No.729127 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>728822
Plenty of sleep in the grave
>>
Ryu Hayabusa - Tue, 06 Nov 2018 08:30:48 EST ID:LhvJVtwW No.729128 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>729127
Go to grave early and don't leave the monitor on
>>
Frank Fontaine - Tue, 06 Nov 2018 09:57:47 EST ID:lpXfH/Jj No.729132 Ignore Report Quick Reply
If you give up on video games, you won't have anything to escape to when that kid starts to really turn into a little piece of shit around the 3 year mark and you and your wife really start to resent each other.
>>
Professor Layton - Wed, 07 Nov 2018 02:55:55 EST ID:4VPVikJ9 No.729213 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>723261
That is some sick System Shock 2 artwork.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.