Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Kirtaner & Spardot's 420chan Wedding

To all guests, live viewers, and our Internet family, THANK YOU.
VODs will be edited soon, we are all so tired.
Wedding Gifts
Liveaboard Life by Reuben Miffingbury - Tue, 01 Dec 2015 12:29:39 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33125 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1448990979443.jpg -(64121B / 62.62KB, 800x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 64121
Hey /vroom/,

So I've been saving money for a year now and living cheap at my parent's place with the general plan that "I'm going to go travelling when I feel ready." Well, I have around 10,000 saved and am feeling pretty ready to go out and do something!

So initially I thought of backpacking for a few months, but plane tickets would eat up most of my savings and then when it's over it's over, time to save money again.

Then I thought of two other things I'd like to do - living in an RV or a Sailboat.

I have years of experience with both RV camping and Boating, so I'm pretty confident on the technical side of things. I guess why I'm posting is just to get it out there - fuck it, I think I'm gonna drive down to the beach after christmas and trade my car for a sailboat and start following the coast!

I work online and don't need 24/7 internet access so long as I can connect every few days to upload documents and answer emails. That and I'm open to the random odd jobs on shore.

Anyone on 420chan ever done the liveaboard thing? What was your experience?
>>
Fucking Brashpudge - Wed, 02 Dec 2015 04:02:00 EST ID:u8AvtM0b No.33127 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I've never done anything like that before, but just fucking do it.
>>
Frederick Snodwill - Wed, 02 Dec 2015 04:29:44 EST ID:Ijs2Kkof No.33128 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1449048584908.jpg -(58808B / 57.43KB, 620x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
That sounds awesome.
>>
Fucking Menderhood - Wed, 02 Dec 2015 18:32:51 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33131 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33127
I'm really fucking doing it man! Thanks for the encouragement.

Already talking to a few guys about scheduling a time to check out the boat in the first week of January. I mean, I graduated university in 2013 and ever since then I tried the normal life. I've had different apartments, even rented a house, a standard job that paid well for what it was, a girlfriend, all that stuff. It just doesn't do it for me. I need some ADVENTURE!

Done plenty of travelling too, I always feel happy on the move. I'll keep in touch on this thread and be posting photos and updates as things take off.
>>
Jenny Giblingsitch - Wed, 02 Dec 2015 23:16:48 EST ID:HTeaq49E No.33135 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33131
Have you done any sailing man? I think you should try to crew on one first or something. Take a course that's a charter. I've sailed a bit and it's scary at times on a little boat on a lake let alone an expensive, big boat on the ocean.
>>
Jenny Giblingsitch - Wed, 02 Dec 2015 23:19:23 EST ID:HTeaq49E No.33136 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33135
Oh also I'm totally into what you're doing and I want to do the same in the near future but you should keep some money in reserves/investments and not jump in too deep right away. Would suck to trash a boat or die or have any number of terrible things go wrong from a lack of experience.
>>
Jack Niggershit - Wed, 02 Dec 2015 23:35:40 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33137 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33135
As far as sailboats go I've only ever run the wheel, never got to mess with the rigging. I did have a 22 foot motor cruiser that I drove at least once a week for 10 years so though I know I lack the particular sailing skills, I'm fairly comfortable on a boat. I have taken day long trips with friends or hired around 10 times and then one overnight and always had fun. Given, I didn't have to worry about keeping the boat afloat on those so I completely see your point.

I'm aiming at not getting anything larger than 26 feet, plus with a motor. I figure that will keep me in my comfort zone as far as size goes and the motor will help Merciful Poseidon forgive me a little if I make a mistake here and there.

The keel is what scares me the most, just having to be so aware of that extra draw compared to a motor powered cruiser is intimidating.

In the end if I die I die, I'll take it slow and see what happens. I've really gotta dive into something dramatic here, call it a quarter life crisis if you will (I just hit 25 so probably a bit past quarter life now). I'll be able to afford insurance at least!

I have been thinking to actually dock at a marina for as long as I need to and take proper ASA lessons until I feel comfortable doing some cruising. Probably will be at least late summer before I actually start moving place to place along the shore.

Any advice from you is much welcome!
>>
Jenny Giblingsitch - Thu, 03 Dec 2015 01:08:49 EST ID:HTeaq49E No.33141 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33137
I don't have much useful advice sadly. But I would suggest you join a sailing forum and ask away there. My experience in sailing has taught me shit can get out of hand fast and I would question the ability of a small sailing motor to save the day.

You can probably do this but you should get a shitload of information before you start. And be realistic about the financial side of it too.
>>
Charles Turveybury - Thu, 03 Dec 2015 22:46:20 EST ID:yccj2kTT No.33145 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33137
sounds like an awesome plan, i wish you the best of luck.

the only thing i'll say is that i have a few friends who own boats and they constantly bitch about how expensive it is to maintain it. i just hope you have a budget set up to take everything into account: gas, dock fees, cleaning supplies, paint, etc.

honestly, i'd love a house boat, but i crunched the numbers and i just can't afford it :(
>>
Lydia Sozzlefield - Sat, 05 Dec 2015 19:20:32 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33153 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33145
Since I'll still be working, funds won't be a problem. I'm confident in my online jobs, I work for several companies so if one crashes the others stil support me.

Purchased my first sailing lessons today, went riding along on a sailboat two days ago, and half of my possessions have sold on eBay already- this is really happening! I have a weird nervous excitement. I haven't felt this way since I randomly woke up and started driving, and then went on a three month road trip.
>>
Nigger Wiggleson - Mon, 14 Dec 2015 10:38:35 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33184 Ignore Report Quick Reply
All of my possessions other than the things that fit in the backpack I'm bringing are now officially sold! Bringing the last of it to UPS for shipping today.

It's funny, it feels so good to get rid of this stuff I used to want so bad.
>>
Eugene Grandbury - Wed, 16 Dec 2015 21:51:46 EST ID:+tCEVV/y No.33186 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33184
Did you buy a boat or what
>>
Fuck Fepperstock - Thu, 17 Dec 2015 01:43:56 EST ID:e5GN4kbG No.33187 Ignore Report Quick Reply
If you can afford dock fees, and don't mind being in a major storm because there's going to be many, many El Nino superstorms then enjoy. There are people here in Vancouver who water squat for free in False Creek because the bay falls under "national" jurisdiction and not city, so can park their derelict boat there forever and dump shit in the water.
>>
Ebenezer Brickletuck - Thu, 17 Dec 2015 09:00:31 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33190 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33186
I went and looked at a few and had a sea trial on one. There seems to be plenty of used boats on the market so I'm taking my time looking until I find one that really clicks for me. I think I'll settle with one in the first week of January to start of 2016 right.

>>33187
That's pretty disgusting... I'll be keeping my boat in proper maintenance for sure and not dumping waste in the water. Slip fees around here aren't more than $400 unless you have a huge boat. I can handle that, my rent now is twice that! I figure the part of my income which went to half my rent can now go to maintenance. As for storms, that might get a little frightening for the first dozen or so!
>>
Hedda Blettingcocke - Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:37:59 EST ID:tAxmvMde No.33198 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33190
Keep us updated dude, I love sailing.
>>
Zhim - Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:18:58 EST ID:fx2p33sJ No.33213 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33198

I'm set on a boat. Catalina 22. I know it's small but I've lived in a car enough to know I can manage. It's such a popular boat that it will be easy to maintain and find parts. There's a good community and active support for it.

I got an awesome deal too. I'm signing the paperwork on the 27th so I'll post photos once I'm moved in. Adding a name here so it's easier to know when I update in the thread.
>>
CrazyFolksTribe !owU3wSU682 - Tue, 22 Dec 2015 16:35:56 EST ID:I3GeC4zn No.33214 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33213
Now THAT's doing something with your life.

Of course, so is everything else.

But this here "doing something with your life" is particularly entertaining. I look forward to seeing some pics.
>>
Jarvis Fandock - Tue, 22 Dec 2015 17:28:10 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33215 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33214

Thanks CFT! (if that IS the real you!)
Spent a few hours talking to different insurance agents today. woohoo fun fun fun! nb
>>
Zhim - Wed, 23 Dec 2015 17:07:12 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33220 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1450908432941.jpg -(20521B / 20.04KB, 337x450) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Today I decided on and purchased insurance, pretty exciting! Also got my end of the paperwork ready to go.

Met a guy through asking around who's going to help me move the boat from the marina to one that allows liveaboards which I've reserved a slip at. I was asking for someone I could hire for it, and he insists that he isn't a certified captain so he'll do it for free! I hope he'll at least let me buy dinner and beers.

Pic related, it's my boat.

This is all so funny to me. I've always wanted to do this kind of stuff, but have always been afraid to make the leap and actually do it. I rarely make it past the planning page, and chicken out when it comes time to commit. Everything has worked out this time and I'm really doing it. As long as it doesn't kill me (and has simply living in a marina ever really killed someone?) I feel that no matter what happens I'll come out of this with a meaningful sense of confidence. I feel like I finally have control in my own life.

"If you do not change direction you may end up where you're heading"
>>
Zhim - Sat, 26 Dec 2015 01:06:48 EST ID:u0V7Er7d No.33223 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Drove all evening and stopped at a cheap motel half way to where my boat is. This time tomorrow I'll be sleeping in my new floating home. Photo is of the motel. They have wooden floors, so that means it's upscale right?
>>
Zhim - Sat, 26 Dec 2015 01:07:28 EST ID:u0V7Er7d No.33224 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1451110048732.jpg -(191553B / 187.06KB, 960x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33223
>>
Thomas Brandermore - Sat, 26 Dec 2015 14:41:20 EST ID:yccj2kTT No.33227 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33220
does she have a name?
>>
Zhim - Sat, 26 Dec 2015 18:47:13 EST ID:5c20lx5L No.33228 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1451173633188.jpg -(158725B / 155.00KB, 960x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33227
The original name is Splashdance. It's a little fruity but the proper name changing process involves pouring expensive champagne in the ocean to keep Poseiden from sinking her so Splashdance it is...for now.

It's been one helliva day. I arrived at the island around noon and met the lady selling the boat. It's in better condition than I expected, all that really needs work is the electrical wiring. I bought a new battery, which I can't use yet because the wires are such a mess below.

The weather here is fan-freakin-tastic but it's supposed to get chilly tomorrow. There are dozens of dolphins in the water and one even poked it's head out and spied on me while I was cleaning the deck! It scared the hell out of me when I looked up and saw how close it was.

Tomorrow I'll continue my cleaning and if everything goes according to plan I'll be motoring to another marina that permits liveaboards. I talked to the harbor master here and he was very kind and told me it's fine if I stay rent free for a few days until I get my next slip worked out.

For 30 minutes after I bought it I kinda just sat on deck in shock, like "wow I actually did it. Now what?"

So with no electricity in the boat I'm running on iPad battery, mobile 4g, and a wine-cork led light in a water bottle. I'm all comfortable inside the boat so here's a quick photo of the window.
>>
Martin Fanbanks - Sat, 26 Dec 2015 21:20:23 EST ID:Z+g8HGg3 No.33229 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33228
Pretty cool dude. What kind of utilities does this boat have? Shower/full bath/DC electrical/AC electrical/Generator?
>>
Fanny Senningshit - Mon, 28 Dec 2015 02:42:07 EST ID:+O2nywxA No.33232 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33228 That's awesome as hell you gotta let us know how the process of fixing it up goes
>>
William Chubblemotch - Mon, 28 Dec 2015 23:08:49 EST ID:6rBlQXxE No.33237 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Whatever you do, don't leave Charlie, Frank and Dee alone on your boat.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:12:18 EST ID:t0Kn4qrU No.33238 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33237
Have you thought about bringing any chicks out on your boat? You take enough out and get email a bit drunk then its a guaranteed fuck.....you know because of the implication
>>
Zhim - Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:48:27 EST ID:N6XNS4nD No.33239 Ignore Report Quick Reply
It has a small toilet in the head, but no shower. The marina I'm at has a shower and laundry room so I can survive. Think I'll buy a portable sun heated shower when I actually start coastal cruising. The electric on it was in bad shape. All of the old wire was balled up and disconnected under a seat. I salvaged what I could and bought a new battery. So far using the old wire (which I intend to replace ASAP) Ive got the lights, depth finder, and 12V DC (cigarette lighter) outlet working. I need to fix the VHF radio and Bilge pump.

Then I plan on installing a system for AC power that charges my battery at the dock. For now I've got an extension cord and adapter that gives me shore power so I can use my computer and internet router.

The galley is a slide out kitchen counter with an alcohol stove, sink, and ice box. The stove is in working order, but needs cleaning. The sink is too corroded for use so I'll be fixing that soon. Mostly I worked on the engine so far and got it all up and running. It was in good condition, just needed some basic maintenance.

I don't know who Charlie Frank and Dee are but if they ask for a ride I'll decline!

As for the women thing, that sounds too creepy for me. plus there isn't that much room on this thing being a 22 ft and all. The owners manual says it sleeps 4 to 6, but that's like if you don't bring any food and everyone just sits still the whole ride to wherever you're sleeping. I'd say it sleeps 1 comfortably, 2 uncomfortably, and beyond that you're begging to ruin your friendship with everyone on board.

Taking it out for a spin today, we'll see how she takes to the sea!

>>33237
>>33229
>>33232
>>33238
>>
Zhim - Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:48:27 EST ID:N6XNS4nD No.33240 Ignore Report Quick Reply
It has a small toilet in the head, but no shower. The marina I'm at has a shower and laundry room so I can survive. Think I'll buy a portable sun heated shower when I actually start coastal cruising. The electric on it was in bad shape. All of the old wire was balled up and disconnected under a seat. I salvaged what I could and bought a new battery. So far using the old wire (which I intend to replace ASAP) Ive got the lights, depth finder, and 12V DC (cigarette lighter) outlet working. I need to fix the VHF radio and Bilge pump.

Then I plan on installing a system for AC power that charges my battery at the dock. For now I've got an extension cord and adapter that gives me shore power so I can use my computer and internet router.

The galley is a slide out kitchen counter with an alcohol stove, sink, and ice box. The stove is in working order, but needs cleaning. The sink is too corroded for use so I'll be fixing that soon. Mostly I worked on the engine so far and got it all up and running. It was in good condition, just needed some basic maintenance.

I don't know who Charlie Frank and Dee are but if they ask for a ride I'll decline!

As for the women thing, that sounds too creepy for me. plus there isn't that much room on this thing being a 22 ft and all. The owners manual says it sleeps 4 to 6, but that's like if you don't bring any food and everyone just sits still the whole ride to wherever you're sleeping. I'd say it sleeps 1 comfortably, 2 uncomfortably, and beyond that you're begging to ruin your friendship with everyone on board.

Taking it out for a spin today, we'll see how she takes to the sea!

>>33237
>>33229
>>33232
>>33238
>>
Jack Duttingridge - Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:39:48 EST ID:+O2nywxA No.33241 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33240
What kind of engine does the boat have?
>>
Eliza Shakegold - Tue, 29 Dec 2015 22:33:44 EST ID:1oCNR7NU No.33242 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1451446424430.jpg -(373930B / 365.17KB, 633x441) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
make sure to use fuses(circuit protection) lest you burn your boat down. fuses go closest to the source of power aka the battery, also close to the charger when you get one. get your wire gauge right also. heat shrink is your friend.
>>
Zhim - Fri, 01 Jan 2016 09:38:59 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33243 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33241
It's got a 4-stroke outboard.

>>33242
Already bought the right fuses and replaced the one that I needed for the depth finder to work before moving.

Got to my new slip the other day and left her tied up for the week. I left to visit some family, then when I get back I'll be working non-stop to make this the most awesome boat I can. The guy that helped me move gave me a brief lesson on the way, and I ended up sailing for over an hour under his instruction. It was a lot of fun!
>>
Zhim - Fri, 01 Jan 2016 09:39:31 EST ID:5DvRBJj3 No.33244 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33242
thanks for that chart by the way, very useful
>>
Zhim - Thu, 07 Jan 2016 14:18:28 EST ID:pyw77i5Y No.33271 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1452194308158.jpg -(81394B / 79.49KB, 480x640) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Update time!

I've been living comfortably on the boat now. It's all clean mildew free now.
Priorities are still fixing electric, and then replacing the cushions. I'm working to save some extra money so I can get nice replacements that will last.

Today I got a fishing license and went out to a pier. For 3 hours nobody out there had any luck. We all switched from fishing to chatting, I decided to try the rocky bank away from the pier and then caught this beauty of a speckled trout. Well, you can guess where everyone started fishing after that.

I cooked it with bell pepper and garlic and made tacos with some homemade tortilla. (Boat made tortilla?) I saved some guts and am gonna try my hand at crabbing off the dock tonight.

Life is good!
>>
Zhim - Thu, 07 Jan 2016 14:19:15 EST ID:pyw77i5Y No.33272 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1452194355702.jpg -(174363B / 170.28KB, 960x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33271
>>
Zhim - Thu, 07 Jan 2016 21:02:39 EST ID:UlHhcRaM No.33273 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33271
No luck with the crustaceans. Problem is fish kept zooming in and grabbing the guts off the hook before it would even hit the bottom. I ended up catching one by mistake when it got caught on the hook but I had more than enough fish for today so I let it go. This still counts as /vroom since it happened on a boat and boats are transportation yeah?
>>
Albert Dartwater - Sun, 10 Jan 2016 00:40:44 EST ID:+O2nywxA No.33287 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33273
Has it been comfortable sleeping there? What about the fish? Personally I am not too fond of seafood but does it ever get to you?
>>
Emma Goodway - Sun, 10 Jan 2016 01:41:58 EST ID:i1znBDWx No.33288 Ignore Report Quick Reply
what a nice thread. im happy for you OP, please continue to update this thread
>>
Zhim - Mon, 11 Jan 2016 17:20:06 EST ID:/kt67Tg4 No.33298 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33287
My sleep has never been better. I get tired from working so hard every day and lying down in the v-berth up front in my sleeping bag knocks me out fast. As for the fish, I've grown up fishing and have always loved it! I've been trying to take it easy so my limit has been one fish per day. It's nice because there's such a variety of species around and many different ways to prepare them.

Today it's chilly and rainy. I took apart the engine again to learn more about it, and was planning on working all afternoon. Well, there was no traffic thanks to the rain so I decided to challenge myself- left the dock, went through the channel to open water, came back, and re-docked in my slip all alone and with no casualties! It was intimidating leaving this slip for the first time, it's in a tight space next to some very expensive boats! When I first set off the outboard kicked up out of the water in reverse and my bow nearly swung into the next boat. I had to push down on the top of the motor while navigating out away from the slip to keep the propeller in the water! I celebrated with a glass of wine I made here from grape juice and a sandwich from a shop down the road... Either it was the best sandwich ever or food tastes better when you're really enjoying life!
>>
Zhim - Mon, 11 Jan 2016 17:30:41 EST ID:/kt67Tg4 No.33300 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1452551441321.jpg -(170623B / 166.62KB, 960x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33298
*the wine was made only from grape juice, the sandwich had no part in the wine making process. Also here's a photo I meant to post, it's the interior of the boat.
>>
CrazyFolksTribe !owU3wSU682 - Fri, 15 Jan 2016 04:17:37 EST ID:I3GeC4zn No.33320 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33300
Nice music thingies.
>>
Zhim - Fri, 15 Jan 2016 11:23:57 EST ID:DQ+skJoi No.33322 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Time for this week's stories:

I had been taking the boat out every day this week and working up the courage to try sailing alone. My daily ritual involved motoring out to open water and coming back. Finally, 2 days ago I decided the time was right. I prepared the sails and started the engine. Then as I went into reverse and started gaining momentum- rrrRRRRNNNGHchkk. The engine stopped. I was drifting towards a big fancy power boat across the slip and had to act fast. I grabbed my boat hook and reached for a piling on the opposite slip and caught a hold. Unfortunately, the positioning of the piling would've made me into a big fiberglass pendulum on the corner of a concrete dock if I tied to it, so I had to keep manuvering in the current with one hand on the hook while solving the problem.

As I looked into the water I saw the problem- a stray line floating through the marina had tangled in my propellor. Luckily I thought to sheath my scuba knife to my leg before departing, and I was able to reach down with my free hand and cut the propellor loose. I pushed off the piling with no casualties and fired up the engine once more!

Then I motored out to the big ship channel and went upwind from my Marina a good ways and set sail. It was thrilling! I had no real confidence in what to do, but I was sailing alone. I sailed all the way back to the little channel that leads to the Marina and dropped anchor to prepare for return. The wind was blowing too fast for me to feel confident trying to sail the little shallow channel on a reach, so after putting the sails away and bringing in the anchor I went to start the outboard. Then problem no. 2 of the day showed up. On the first pull, the start cable and spring ripped straight out of the motor. It was a broken mess! I opened it up to see if I could rig up an emergency start with some extra line, but there was a bolt far down that none of my tools could reach. So I pulled out my phone and called my insurance about using a tow. They would only cover half cost, which did help considering the only company they'd cover me through charges $650!!! There went a month of slip fees and electric.

On my way down the dock after returning, this guy hands me a beer and says "saw you getting towed and gee do I know how bad that feels!" He lives on a big catamaran and had stopped for a week in the Marina. He loved looking at my boat and enthusiastically gave me all sorts of advice. Then he asked if we could go sailing on it the next day. I told him only if I manage to fix the engine by then.

So I woke up at 6 am with a cup of coffee and the Outboard Maintenance book I have. It took me 4 hours and a trip to the hardware store, but I was able to fix the entire starting unit. Everything metal was corroded and rusty in it, so I went ahead and replaced it all, it was cheap considering its bolts, springs, nylon, and plastic.
>>
Zhim - Fri, 15 Jan 2016 11:31:03 EST ID:DQ+skJoi No.33323 Ignore Report Quick Reply
The guy I met saw me working on it, brought a case of beer, and said he's ready to go as soon as it's fixed. So off we went after a celebratory drink when the engine fired up!

He showed me in detail how to rig the sails and gave me an excellent lesson in points of sail that lasted all afternoon. Then he invited me over to dinner with his family and it was so good to eat a complete meal of chicken and vegetables after eating mostly rice and flour all week. I've been catching fish you know, but I have to admit I appreciated the variety in a different meal more than I thought I would!

Then we went back to my boat, smoked, and chatted until 2 am! It was an awesome day, and it would've never happened if I didn't get towed the day before. Considering sailing lessons are about $285 around here for about 8 hours, that I only paid $350 for the tow, and that I got direct one on one lessons with beer, food, and friendship- I'd say it all worked itself out quite nicely!
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:05:42 EST ID:GRxyNN2r No.33324 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Do you ever plan on sailing in open ocean? Is your boat even able to that? If so yoy should totally sail to the EU and ill hook you uo with some dank buds. Then we can combine our threads, live aboard vagabonds.

Im glad to see all this is working out for you. While i know our experience (live aviator you and vagabond life for me) isn't exactly the same, i very much appreciate and understand how big of a leap into a new life can be.

May the wind always be at your back....thats what boat people say right?
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:08:25 EST ID:GRxyNN2r No.33325 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33324
Fucking auto correct borked up my post.

Typing in two languages makes my phone (Italian and English ) makes my phone a bit confused at times.

Also never trust Charlie, Mac, Dennis and Dee near your boat...ever.
>>
William Brookman - Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:59:21 EST ID:C1zkN17w No.33327 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33323
This is good stuff man. Nothing like a good steady upwind tack.
>>
Zhim - Sun, 17 Jan 2016 18:25:25 EST ID:jFioVx8E No.33335 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33324
I don't see myself leaving the coastal waters for at least several years. I'm sure it's been done on boats smaller than mine even, but I think I'd want something bigger. Imagine hitting a big storm with 40 knot winds in a tiny old boat, man that would be terrifying!

Been making up some great fish recipes this weekend. I was lucky enough to catch a flounder after trying different areas around the channel and that got me all inspired to cook each fish in a vastly different way.
>>
Zhim - Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:10:42 EST ID:rr5Fucaj No.33383 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I've been taking the boat out often now and am pretty comfortable setting up the sails and practicing different points of sail. I have a helluva time trying to sail on close reach (upwind) but I'll get there one day. Problem is finding the sweet spot where I'm moving forward but the wind isn't pushing me sideways!

Today I near finished the electricity! All marine grade parts and done myself with a book in hand. I'm super proud of it. The only thing that doesn't work right now is the rigging lights outside and there is no anchor light.

Here's a short video of me sailing in a small channel. I also posted this on /m/ because I recorded the background music a moment ago. It's a rainy day so i've mostly been jamming inside.

https://youtu.be/4HrnghYWorI
>>
Clara Foshkut - Wed, 03 Feb 2016 03:05:42 EST ID:Ijs2Kkof No.33408 Ignore Report Quick Reply
It's so cool watching your story unfurl (so to speak). It makes me want to go out to the coast and buy a boat.
>>
James Mother Fucking Randi !lwriJ94kMg - Wed, 03 Feb 2016 08:49:50 EST ID:t0Kn4qrU No.33409 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33383
I've never understood the mechanics of sailing upwind.

Could you elaborate?
>>
Fanny Punderdock - Wed, 03 Feb 2016 19:05:32 EST ID:fCMsA3/q No.33411 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33409
Think airplane wing. The curve in the sail generates acceleration in the windward direction. Never happened with square sails, more of a modern thing. Also it's a great feeling.
>>
Zhim - Thu, 04 Feb 2016 11:34:59 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33413 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33408
Hey Thanks! Reading other people's stories is part of what made me do it in the end too. Glad somebody's enjoying the posts!

>>33409
I'm no expert but as I understand it is that the shape of the sails generates lift from the wind. There are two different amounts of pressure created on the sides of the sail and they want to even out and stabilize. So the outer edge picks up speed to catch up to the pressure on the inner edge, pulling the sail forward.

Two stories worth writing about this week-
>>
Zhim - Thu, 04 Feb 2016 11:58:46 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33414 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33413

There is a large catamaran near my boat in the marina that I had yet to meet the owners of. A few days ago I saw this upper-middle aged couple cleaning the catamaran and introduced myself. They were super friendly and told me they had come out to sail in the nice weather before the next cold front but upon arriving they found they needed to do engine work instead.

I told them "aw hell you can still sail- on my boat!" Because since spending my lessons money on the tow, I'm taking every opportunity I can to learn from experienced sailors. The guy was excited to go sailing and was ready to go right away. His wife opted to stay behind because my boat doesn't scream "relaxing pleasant cruise" so much as it does "getting stranded in a maelstrom."

We checked the weather and the forecast was that we'd have 10 knots of wind until 6 pm, then it would pick up to 25. It was 10 am so we got ready and headed out. Four Dolphins escorted us all the way from the channel to the main shipping lanes, it was fun to watch them. The whole ride out the channel was down wind and smooth as can be.

We headed west on a reach and really started picking up speed. This was the first time I had gone this fast and it felt really great to see my little boat in proper wind. We went about 3 hours from the marina and the wind started picking up way more than expected. Large gusts were hitting every few minutes and the boat would heel over sideways, waves splashing over the bow. It was terrifying and incredible all at once! I suggested we head back and the guy agreed. Too bad though, I really wanted to make it to this bay that opens up a bit further west.

We went to tack into the wind and change direction, and a gust blew the boat backwards into the lanes! This is when we realized how much the wind had picked up. We ended up on the north side of the shipping lanes fighting the wind to keep course. I needed tacking practice and did I ever get it then. Several hours of tacking, reaching, then tacking again to avoid the northern shore.

We finally made it to the mouth of the little channel that leads to the marina and suddenly commercial traffic got extreme. Ship after ship came through and there was no way we could get in between them to cross. So we waited it out by making circles east to west and back. Finally there was a good 2 miles between two ships so we gave it all the sail the boat could take and ran for it, heading 45 degrees into the south wind! I mean there was water covering the starboard windows at times.

Just as we cleared the line of the large ship's path a big gust started pushing again. I fired up the engine in one go and throttled right back up into the channel. We made it with plenty of time to spare, there was still about a mile before the ship crossed the channel.

Exhausted from all that, we took the sails down and motored the channel. Then as we got within site of the marina, the damned engine died. Plenty of gas, not overheating, nothing obvious wrong with it. I brought the jib up and we slowly tacked the rest of the way to my slip, only bumping into three or four millionaire's empty private docks along the way.

That was one hell of an adventure right there! I'm so glad I was able to test my knowledge so far and push myself to the limits with an expert as crew to help out. I learned exactly what I know, and what I don't know and need to work on now. It was an amazing opportunity getting to go out in extreme conditions like that.

When we got back my fishing buddy down the dock said "hey you made channel 12!" Apparently the big ships were warning each other of a "tiny little sailboat who must be inane to be in the wind" 12 is the safety and distress channel! I thought I saw the coast guard following us for awhile... Word was the wind got up to that 25 knots much earlier than expected. 25 is nothing for a seasoned expert I'm sure, but to me it was like going through a hurricane.
>>
Zhim - Thu, 04 Feb 2016 12:10:39 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33415 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33414

Story 2 picks up 2 days later (yesterday).

My thirst for sailing was certainly quenched for the week so I decided to learn more maintenance on the engine, and fix whatever went wrong the other day. Armed with my tools and outboard maintenance manual, I got to work bright and early. I diagnosed it down to either being the float wasn't functioning properly or the carburator was clogged. Additionally I planned to fix the reverse gear from kicking up once and for all, and to get the fresh water flush port opened up.

On a trip back to the boat from the bathroom I came across a man fishing. I asked if he was getting anything and he said not at all. I told him wait there and I went and grabbed these glow in the dark lures that the trout seem to love. Instantly his luck improved.

So later I've got the outboard taken apart and am sitting there reading trying to decide how to go about this when the fishing guy walks by. He asks what I'm doing and I say "I have no idea really, trying to learn how to fix whatever's broken I suppose." It turns out I shared lures with the right guy- he's an outboard mechanic!

He said I was correct in diagnosing it and that the carburator was likely dirty. He taught me how to take it all apart and clean it and then helped me get the stripped screw from the freshwater intake. I had already fixed the reverse gear but he was kind enough to double check that too.

Then I put the engine back together, fired it up, and it ran beautifully! (Insert something inspirational about human kindness and the goodwill of men here).really though I was extremely grateful and offered to buy him some drinks but he said he had to catch up with his fishing friends. Later I was able to pay him back a little because he got his line tangled in a fancy boat on a lift and I have a kit for that sort of thing and climbed up the lift to free it. It's not much, but hey I did what I could!

Today I'm just working and cleaning. I'm also in the process of deciding which solar panels I want and learning how to hook all that up.

Fare thee well fellow travelers!
>>
Lydia Drundlemudging - Sat, 06 Feb 2016 17:32:41 EST ID:+tCEVV/y No.33423 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33414
Pretty cool to be the other guy--hey come do crazy shit on my little boat so you don't have to wreck your expensive cat or deal with a screaming wife!

I only sail on a lake with a Hobie but man that wind and water makes you feel small really quick. It's so hard to explain the appeal of sailing to other people--it's really humbling, and requires attention, problem solving, foresight, refusal to panic, etc. So I think when it's a good sail or when you pull something off that you weren't sure of it's the most rewarding feeling ever. Plus it's the exact opposite of the high speed instant reward life we usually lead in the city. My dream is to get out to the coast someday; currently getting a trade ticket in a field that might help me get out there.
>>
Zhim - Sun, 07 Feb 2016 14:41:00 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33424 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33423
You've got a pint there, he kept saying thanks to me for taking him sailing and I kept saying thanks to him for teaching me!

Exactly, it's an extremely rewarding process when you pull something off. Hey if you want to do it you surely can, you've got way more experience than me and I'm already out here. Similar thing, I had to build up a career that would allow me to live this way first.

Today is nothing but amazing weather here and 5-10 knot winds so I spent all morning practicing my tacking in this little bay. People on their porches on shore were cheering me on when they realized I was practicing, it made me extra self-aware of everything I was doing. I would still be out there but it was the first time I took my 100% jib out (if I called something 100% before in this thread I realize now that it was a 75 I was using) and it got pinched in the spreaders. I couldn't tack anymore with the job stuck to one side, but I was able to sail into dock with no motor!

Getting better every day! I'll start cruising in April for sure.
>>
Edward Mundlefuck - Sun, 07 Feb 2016 17:07:06 EST ID:Fzymeor4 No.33425 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33424
One day, one day... where are you located again? And I think you mentioned some online income of some kind, so is that passive or what? That's the golden ticket, too bad I didn't start when I was younger, I could have been out there by now. Anyway that's history, I didn't know what the fuck was going on until my mid twenties.

If I can find a good coastal city in Canada that isn't Vancouver I could maybe afford to get out there. Gotta get my ticket first though so that's a couple years away. Try to make bank in Albertastan in the meantime.
>>
Zhim - Mon, 08 Feb 2016 20:04:59 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33429 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1454979899762.jpg -(40107B / 39.17KB, 330x487) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33425
I'm on a little island off the coast in Texas. The income is freelance music work mostly, with a little work in software on the side every now and then.

Here's another sailing music video of my practice yesterday:

https://youtu.be/SEsm3tVG0T0
>>
Shitting Pockstone - Sat, 20 Feb 2016 02:33:11 EST ID:7OwEFZvF No.33461 Ignore Report Quick Reply
this is one of the greatest threads i have ever read, please continue sharing your tales of marine adventure.
>>
Hannah Hasslehot - Mon, 22 Feb 2016 02:06:53 EST ID:+O2nywxA No.33472 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33429
So are you still in the US?
>>
Zhim - Tue, 01 Mar 2016 13:32:24 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33493 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33472
Still in Texas! I'll have a big write up for those interested soon, checking in now to say I'm alive and well!

Today I finished making fabric curtains for the port holes, finally I'm not hanging shirts to keep the sun out. All that's left is an anchor light and a few small parts coming in the mail and the boat is complete!

Right now I'm enjoying hard kiwi cider I made while cleaning crabs and whelk I caught. Damn does it feel amazing to be out here today. A little more practice, and I'll be heading up the coast eastbound in the first week of April.

Also I got an HD mountable camera now and some footage of dolphins following me around Corpus Christi Bay I need to put music to and upload!
>>
Hannah Dorringwell - Sun, 06 Mar 2016 18:28:08 EST ID:s6fPSYrt No.33506 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Just came across this thread, and you are an inspiration OP. You may have convinced me to get into sailing or just get out and travel for one instead of sitting on my ass and thinking about it.

Definitely keep the updates coming, it's awesome to hear about how you're doing! Maybe even start a blog, in case it becomes too big for this thread or something
>>
Zhim - Wed, 09 Mar 2016 14:50:33 EST ID:8or44Lok No.33521 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33506

Glad I could inspire! A legit blog has never been too much of my kinda thing. Mostly because I'm so bad at making regular updates and it stresses me out when I have to maintain a proper site.

I got a bad case of food poisoning a few days ago and have been riding it out in the middle of a big storm. This experience has me thinking I may spend a few more months practicing and anchoring around the same area I'm in until I'm better equipped to manage emergencies like that in more isolated areas. I got a book on cruising the gulf that details mile by mile points of interest and warnings, and it appears there are some stretches where you can't even get to shore legally or encounter other humans for a few days. I'd hate to get sick again in 100 degree weather, anchored in a lonely place, with an impending sense of hopelessness!

So who knows, either way I'm on a boat and sailing and still travelling, I guess there's a healthy amount of fear in me towards great Poseidon yet!
>>
Oliver Hacklehet - Sat, 26 Mar 2016 01:05:10 EST ID:+O2nywxA No.33566 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1458968710523.jpg -(7489B / 7.31KB, 200x200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33521
Happy Easter!
Bump
>>
Shitting Dacklewell - Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:03:53 EST ID:BE9aTkJ6 No.33571 Ignore Report Quick Reply
how long till your boat is used for jenk and russian air horn smuggling?
>>
Zhim - Wed, 30 Mar 2016 21:15:09 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33574 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33571
Already brewing hard cider on it, I can't /jenk/ because being in the enclosed space would expose me to dichlorojenkamine hazards all day.

Still just sailing and learning every day! Nothing major to report, I've been pretty happy out here and have ended up extremely inspired in my music stuff, so I'm working quite a bit on a big project in the evenings and mornings. Life is great as ever!
>>
james randi - Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:46:29 EST ID:BE9aTkJ6 No.33579 Ignore Report Quick Reply
just hypothetically because i know you said you dont want to go out to open ocean yet or trans continential sailing yet.

Do you think if you were a super skilled sailer the boat you have could make super long trips around the world and stuff?
>>
james randi - Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:48:46 EST ID:BE9aTkJ6 No.33580 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33579
fuck im high and butchered the end of the queston sorry....
What i meant to ask is if you had the boat now and were supre skilled is that boat even capable of those type of voyages? It seems kind of small for that.
>>
Zhim - Fri, 01 Apr 2016 00:16:47 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33584 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33580

It's been done on the same model boats to my understanding. These little Catalina 22's are tough!

Now, like you said, I think it would take a healthy mix of skill and luck, and certainly be uncomfortable most of the time. People on much bigger boats abandon ship when a big storm comes, and then the boat is found months later floating just fine though with some weather-beaten sails.

Humans have crossed the Pacific in little dug out log canoes and a memorized map of current movements! Surely a 22 foot fiberglass boat with a bed, stove, and sails would have been a luxury to them?

Yeah as for me I'll stick with NOT going out into big water on my little boat! Going out into the Gulf with marina friends reminds me healthily every time that I can't handle something like that alone in my little craft. And I have as much fan as ever each time I go on expeditions in these safer, calm waters for now. Plenty to keep me happy in the protected water!
>>
Esther Niggerstock - Tue, 05 Apr 2016 00:00:16 EST ID:+D2HQfY3 No.33595 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1459828816245.jpg -(273271B / 266.87KB, 800x521) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Hey OP, can you talk for a bit about the financials of Boat Dream Adventure? Your thread makes me wonder how much dosh I would need to scrape together in order to get on board (so to speak).
>>
Zhim - Mon, 11 Apr 2016 13:37:56 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33625 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33595

Ok I'll get into it briefly, above all remember that people's idea of comfort and what they need to survive and be happy is different for everybody. Some people can live very happy on very little, some people are miserable even with what most consider a lot.

>Buying a Boat
The cheaper your boat is, the more time you're going to invest in fixing it and making it seaworthy. You can get boats for free that may take a few thousand dollars to repair, but afterwards you have a fixed up boat worth $10,000 that you spent less than half of that on. Here's a list of cheap options, in order of least to most: YMMV

-Free:
go to a few marinas and tell them you'd be happy to take an abandoned boat off their hands and fix it up while renting a slip there.

-Derelict or semi-abandoned:
Ask around and find somebody who has a boat where they're paying for a slip but never using it. They might be willing to let it go for next to nothing just to stop paying rent on it.

-Used:
(what I did) shop around on craigslist and walk around marinas and find one in your price range, with features that you are happy with. This option frees you up a bit to decide what you'll be able to actually afford to fix on your own after acquiring the vessel.

MY COST: $1800

>Parking your Boat
Where are you going to keep it?

-Marinas: (Where I'm at Now)
Some marinas have minimum boat lengths to allow liveaboards, some don't allow liveaboards at all. Most require insurance. What I've found here in Texas at least, is that the cheaper the marina, the further out in the empty farmlands and fishing towns you are. Make sure the location suits your needs while fixing the boat up and learning to sail.

-Anchor Out:
This isn't an option if your boat needs lots of repairs. Also it's a bad option IMO if you (like me) are just learning to sail. Really I'd say the only reason to do this option is when you are actually travelling.

-Private dock:
I've seen advertisements for rich people who have big houses and a private dock on the water. They're never there because it's a vacation home, and figure they can make some extra money to pay the bills and have a set of eyes on their land by renting the dock out to a boat person.

MY COST: Currently $370/month but it's a super fancy gated marina with a yacht club, pool, restaurant, and all that rich people stuff. I stayed at one for a while that was $150/mo and did an overnight at another that was $200/mo.

>Insurance:

I didn't do a ton of research, but Boat US is what I got and seems to be the best. Less than $300 for the full coverage this year that I already paid off and a $150 one time yearly fee for towing insurance.

MY COST: $450

>Living expenses and lifestyle
This one is where your personal comfort will come into play. I buy vegetables and grains, and then catch crabs and fish on my boat. It's healthy and cheap, and I love it. I installed solar panels for electricity, and right now water is free at the marina but several gallons for drinking every week when travelling won't significantly alter my grocery budget. For entertainment I sail, or kayak, or fish, or go to the beach. All of which are free! And I make hard cider on the boat for my alcohol needs.

-Groceries: $50 a month
-Stove Fuel: $15 a month
-Entertainment: $0 a month
-Gasoline: $5 a month

Then as far as repairs go, I bought a boat that I knew I could fix things on. It's got a simple outboard 4 stroke, and everything else involves simple sewing, drilling, electricity, and maintenance/cleaning. Nothing crazy expensive really. Including the Solar Panels I probably put less than $800 into repairs and the boat is great now.
All the old retired people on the cruisers forums and stuff bitch about cost because they can't stand to go without a marine grade refrigerator, air conditioner, automatic bilge pump, wall mounted television, full bathroom with a shower, and so on. You don't need any of that shit out here, so if you go without it you never spend money repairing it. In addition to that, I find a lot of the people who complain about how expensive owning a sailboat is are the kind of people who hire expensive professionals to do everything for them. It's not hard to get down in the water and clean your boat off, but the guys who come out with scuba gear and do it charge $70/an hour and take at least 2 hours.

Let's average an anticipated repair cost at about $100 a month, I think that's being generous considering I can go without most stuff if needed as long as the boat still floats.

Adding it up you can see I spend under $500 a month. The marina fee is 74% of that cost, so out on the journey I imagine bringing my cost down to $200/mo will be no problem. Just working hard every day to save extra money and learning to sail better for now, when I feel the time is right I'll be on that journey, on that budget, and we'll see if I was right!

If you are serious and wanted to do something similar, I'd say have around $5000 in savings and a confident way to generate at least $300 a month and you'll be fine, provided you aren't afraid to rough it a little and learn about yourself. It's an exciting challenge man.
>>
Zhim - Mon, 11 Apr 2016 13:38:59 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33626 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33625
Forgot to mention - I spend $40 a month on internet now, still keeps my total under $500/mo
>>
Zhim - Mon, 11 Apr 2016 13:41:37 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33627 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33626
D'OH I said that $100 repair cost average too, but honestly I haven't spent any money on repairs in the past 2 months so take it as you will. That would bring me up to under $600.
>>
Sharak - Fri, 15 Apr 2016 04:00:40 EST ID:DPHRxIwq No.33634 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1460707240123.jpg -(124171B / 121.26KB, 736x1047) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33125
Nice boat. Heh.

>>33595
>>33625
Don't forget the price of swimming lessons.
>>
Eliza Pudgebotch - Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:40:07 EST ID:+D2HQfY3 No.33660 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1461199207952.jpg -(63826B / 62.33KB, 500x566) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33625
Thanks for that awesome post. You've given me a lot to think about.
>>
james randi - Mon, 09 May 2016 16:42:31 EST ID:ToHPHsfl No.33737 Ignore Report Quick Reply
whats up boat bro
>>
Doris Seddlegold - Tue, 10 May 2016 22:17:04 EST ID:C77gzDit No.33744 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1462933024097.jpg -(246669B / 240.89KB, 1280x960) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33737
Howdy Vagabonding Randi

I feel completely settled in by now. It's a way of life and my days are full of experiences. I've been taking my kayak out to explore the little shallow areas around me more often than anything lately.

Not much to say this time other than 5 months since starting the thread I am still extremely happy. Life has not been dull for a moment. I can't believe it's nearly been half a year already... How the hell did the time go by so fast?!

Not traveling long distances because I feel so content and alive where I'm at! This little island holds so much adventure on its own, and there are so many places nearby to sail to and explore, I just feel following the coast is a different kind of adventure that I don't have to take if I'm exploring happily where I'm at. I mean I'll go sail 6 hours and drop anchor, but I still have the marina slip to return to.

I love the atmosphere and vibe of the boat. Right now the wind is howling through my open hatch as I burn incense and drink tea, watching the moon as clouds go by. If I ever made one good decision in my life- this is it.

Here's to you, and all of you fellow fringe society vagabonds out there, cheers!
>>
CrazyFolksTribe !owU3wSU682 - Wed, 11 May 2016 01:42:41 EST ID:4U5E2PSc No.33747 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33744
>Not traveling long distances because I feel so content and alive where I'm at! This little island holds so much adventure on its own, and there are so many places nearby to sail to and explore

I like it. There aren't a lot of people with this kind of attitude anymore. Glad you've been having a good time... frankly, I'm jealous.
>>
Hamilton Pittridge - Wed, 11 May 2016 23:16:04 EST ID:qurchdlU No.33753 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33747
I think this is why sailing is great and I why most people would probably enjoy it. It takes patience and skill but it rewards you with a very natural experience. It's like winning against physics with brain power
>>
Hamilton Pittridge - Wed, 11 May 2016 23:16:47 EST ID:qurchdlU No.33754 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>33753
I meant to also say you should reach out to a sailing club nearby and see if you can get out on the water somehow.
>>
Thomas Goodwell - Fri, 22 Jul 2016 03:25:28 EST ID:N5qg+RPW No.34060 Ignore Report Quick Reply
buuuuuump for sailing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0gUiUEIYg

I found this cool documentary about sailing in Indonesia in 1972...financed in part by Ringo Starr?

Really interesting to see what the world was like then.
>>
Zhim - Fri, 29 Jul 2016 22:46:22 EST ID:d1q7/WIu No.34083 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34060
Thanks man I'll check it out

Still living that boat life, sailing all the time and having wonderful days all over. Liveaboard, I can say even more confidently now after 7 months, is my ideal lifestyle at this age. Cruise on my /vroom/ traveling friends!
>>
Juri Sixteen - Sat, 30 Jul 2016 20:28:15 EST ID:DPHRxIwq No.34092 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1469924895641.jpg -(78230B / 76.40KB, 600x717) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>34083
Let us know if you catch a mermaid. Haha!
>>
Delinquint Tray !rU8mq5Ca7M - Tue, 09 Aug 2016 22:16:46 EST ID:ZT+I6jNm No.34172 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1470795406550.jpg -(13532B / 13.21KB, 234x215) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>33625
>buying a boat
california protip: look for lien sales or find private marinas. all the main marinas in my area are city/county/state run and don't believe in "abandoned" because money.

i'm trying my damnedest to join you on the water, op, but it seems like it'll never happen because money.

...and while i'm here, any recommended reading? i've recently acquired Sailing Essentials by Steve Sleight, and have Sailing Alone Around the World on my list, but could likely use more reads.
>>
David Bunderfuck - Thu, 01 Sep 2016 02:59:59 EST ID:57LQKE3S No.34234 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Kinda inspires me to want to pursue work that lets me get out and do cool things... Going to welding school and I'd like to travel working or become a commercial diver.
>>
Esther Draffingwill - Thu, 01 Sep 2016 10:26:14 EST ID:jqLITW2j No.34236 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34234
underwater welding? just a thought

I realized I dig sailing because I hate the world mostly. I'd love to live on the coast where real sailing happens but it's either too expensive or lacking in jobs... I haven't seriously looked though. maybe next year, I gotta finish something first
>>
David Bunderfuck - Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:41:00 EST ID:57LQKE3S No.34237 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34236
Yeah I am interested in underwater welding, I've seriously thought about it for some time even though it is so dangerous. Makes good money and you get to see a lot of cool things. What's interesting is that I heard you don't really have to work the entire year for a lot of those jobs.
>>
Nathaniel Suttingsetch - Fri, 02 Sep 2016 18:44:31 EST ID:1e12m4fm No.34252 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34237

i didnt know underwater welding was possible, let alone dangerous. care to educate me?
>>
Beatrice Creblingtot - Fri, 02 Sep 2016 20:22:21 EST ID:tKCGBcot No.34253 Ignore Report Quick Reply
apparently most of the danger is related to diving, not so much welding, although I can imagine it's indirectly related to some deaths. most welding occurs in a gas bubble anyway so water's not a big deal there, I see problems like high thermal conductivity of water, electrical conductivity obviously and also I read that a buildup of off-gas can be dangerous too, make sense.
>>
Doris Shittingham - Sat, 03 Sep 2016 04:08:17 EST ID:57LQKE3S No.34255 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1472890097529.jpg -(175659B / 171.54KB, 500x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>34252
>>34253 said it pretty well but there is also danger that comes from vacuums in the ocean that can cause you to drown. It's called delta p
>>
Samuel Dartshaw - Sat, 03 Sep 2016 15:26:26 EST ID:kX1JhkBW No.34257 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34255
>delta p
>drown
you'd be fucking lucky to die from drowning if delta p is involved
>>
Doris Cherryridge - Sat, 03 Sep 2016 20:13:53 EST ID:57LQKE3S No.34258 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0
heres a good vid
>>
Sophie Gackleson - Sun, 04 Sep 2016 12:38:21 EST ID:vtpczhYj No.34265 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34258
I don't watch videos like that anymore. is it the crab one?
>>
Doris Cherryridge - Sun, 04 Sep 2016 19:13:56 EST ID:57LQKE3S No.34266 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34265
It shows the crab but it also talks about how divers get caught in and around delta p and drown.
>>
Caroline Trotway - Mon, 05 Sep 2016 09:58:07 EST ID:wnuWPboq No.34267 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34266
Ever since I read about that girl that sat on a pool drain I try to put this shit out of my mind.
>>
Ghengis Dong - Thu, 08 Sep 2016 17:03:22 EST ID:542yypiM No.34273 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34265
Don't be concerned that it's gory or describes vividly people being ripped apart. It's like a driver's ed safety video, but for commercial divers. Actually pretty neat
>>
Hugh Funningnodge - Thu, 08 Sep 2016 22:33:14 EST ID:m7PCTqcv No.34274 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34273
It's not even gory, the worst part is the crab. The rest of it is bad (but informative) CGI.
>>
Nell Pittdale - Mon, 24 Oct 2016 22:43:15 EST ID:57LQKE3S No.34404 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1477363395439.jpg -(110403B / 107.82KB, 320x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
i wonder if this guy is still around
>>
Ian Bobbletotch - Sat, 29 Oct 2016 11:58:07 EST ID:LvscTyew No.34418 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34404
swallowed by king neptune
>>
Barnaby Caddleseck - Sat, 29 Oct 2016 18:10:24 EST ID:kLBxN1J0 No.34420 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1477779024280.png -(21685B / 21.18KB, 550x484) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>34418
oh no
>>
Phyllis Sanderlotch - Sat, 05 Nov 2016 14:18:13 EST ID:LvscTyew No.34433 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34420
srsly where is sailor guy?
>>
Zhim - Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:22:03 EST ID:C77gzDit No.34489 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1479216123159.jpg -(22260B / 21.74KB, 329x247) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>34433
Alive and well!

Went up and down the Texas coast all throughout the summer, still enormously happy in the same general areas but did venture out further a few times for big trips and returned later.

Haven't updated the thread, been busy and I've never been good at keeping up with blog style stuff anyways.

Now I'm back to the island I started at and picked up part time work at a video game store to ride out the winter and save some money while I work on getting some momentum on another online music business venture.

I'm now 100% confident in my abilities to get my boat where I want to go at any time. This has been a great year, the best of my life really. I feel like I took this year and did whatever I wanted with it, and I'll keep this attitude for the rest of my life.

The photo is me and a friend on the water, taken from another friend on his catamaran
>>
Henry Dallyway - Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:19:18 EST ID:sdIY0XE/ No.34490 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34489
I need to get to the coast next year. Working on a journeyman ticket right now. Soon.jpg
>>
Phineas Soblingstadge - Wed, 16 Nov 2016 02:07:39 EST ID:kLBxN1J0 No.34491 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34489
sweet man, I hope you have a great Thanksgiving
>>
James Brendlefetch - Wed, 30 Nov 2016 14:45:06 EST ID:FYHHOj/Y No.34556 Ignore Report Quick Reply
You can sail with wind from the side with the sail pointed in some direction and then you sail in a zig zag pattern.
>>33409
>>
Zhim - Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:38:54 EST ID:C77gzDit No.34560 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>ONE YEAR SINCE STARTING THIS THREAD!

Not trying to blog here or anything crazy and I'll refrain from getting too sentimental, but in only a few hours it will have been exactly a year since I got it in my head to leave my life behind and move to the water.

I wasn't in the best place mentally when I made this decision. I had moved back in with my parents for a couple of months to try getting my head straight, got on some medication and was building up some online work while deciding what the next step would be. I had just left my career and moved over 500 miles to go back to their house. I ended a poisonous relationship and arrived burnt out, stressed out, and exhausted.

Drove down to the coast on Christmas Day feeling crazier than ever for actually going through with an idea like this (I'm sure the medication I was on helped inspire me) and thus it began!

In the past year I truly feel I've reached a new height of self-acceptance, and confidence in myself. I have a strong sense of who I am and how to live my life, and I'm free from the anxiety and stress that used to be my every moment.

I learned a new hobby and mastered the art of simple living out here, and looking back I wouldn't have done anything differently. I have absolutely no regrets about how this year went!

Thanks for providing me a place to vent my thoughts /vroom/. Here's to another fantastic year of exploration and deliberate living!
>>
Matilda Dinkinridge - Wed, 30 Nov 2016 22:34:59 EST ID:LvscTyew No.34562 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34560
I wanna do this some day but I think I'm gonna need some money and some cash flow. maybe you could talk about that a bit

also you are on the texas coast yeah? hows the winter there on the water?
>>
Shit Songerfut - Thu, 01 Dec 2016 03:09:35 EST ID:kLBxN1J0 No.34563 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>34560
dude its been an inspiration seeing all of this play out
>>
George Cribberlock - Wed, 04 Jan 2017 14:30:46 EST ID:kLBxN1J0 No.34645 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1483558246834.jpg -(434428B / 424.25KB, 1200x795) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
New years bump. Zhim should make another video about his boat! Hope you had a good new year!
>>
Zhim - Mon, 01 May 2017 10:44:07 EST ID:3Sh+CAKv No.35096 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1493649847120.jpg -(116763B / 114.03KB, 469x866) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
The sailing is over, my training at the sea is complete. In two weeks I return to land, then north to Oklahoma where I will form a pact with the Goddess of the Great Plains to ensure safe passage for my sound.

There I hope to form a party to push forward my quest of releasing the Seals of Silence. It will be a long journey but if we can begin the regeneration of the world's sound it will be worth it.
>>
Caroline Shakeham - Mon, 01 May 2017 19:13:37 EST ID:kLBxN1J0 No.35097 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1493680417113.jpg -(342411B / 334.39KB, 2047x1600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>35096
sweet keep posting updates my dude whyd you decide to stop sailing?
>>
Zhim - Tue, 02 May 2017 08:37:40 EST ID:C77gzDit No.35098 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35097
It's been a year and a half since I started this whole thing, and I've had my fun. I feel relaxed and refreshed.

Before all this I was experiencing burn out from a busy career of teaching and producing along with an unhealthy relationship I ended months prior to the idea.
I needed to do something exciting for myself, something I'd always wanted to do. The craving for adventure is temporarily satisfied for now, and I'm ready to get back
to working on my creative goals. I've got a friend meeting me in his car to have a bit of a beach vacation and then we're headed to Tulsa to live the starving artist life.
I plan on performing in restaurants and teaching a little on the side to sustain myself and hopefully gather a bit of local fame!

I do not intend to continue the thread since I won't be on a boat anymore, but if anyone else wants to discuss liveaboard or boating here by all means go for it!

It was a great time and I'm very happy I did it!
>>
James randi - Wed, 03 May 2017 10:26:20 EST ID:S8dztkaP No.35100 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35098
Before you abandon this thread for ever I just wanna say thanks for sharing your journey with us. I wish you good luck where ever life takes you.

Do you have any tips for some one who want to learn the basics of sailing and boating with out buying a boat. Sorry if you've answered this before.
>>
Hamilton Cruddlestot - Wed, 03 May 2017 15:31:21 EST ID:kLBxN1J0 No.35101 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35100
I agree, thanks for sharing Zhim
>>
Sidney Hemmlekare - Sun, 07 May 2017 12:34:15 EST ID:9PstFYNW No.35112 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35098
so this is it huh? i enjoyed reading bits about life mate, you're the proof that you can just say fuck it and follow your dreams. wish i had wits and guts to make myself happy. adios amigo!
>>
Nell Fuckingshit - Sun, 07 May 2017 14:23:34 EST ID:jqLITW2j No.35116 Ignore Report Quick Reply
with all SLAYER and respect, did op run out of money? because that'd be the deal breaker for me. I just need to get a passive income stream and some experience...then I can be a cool sailor guy too
>>
Zhim - Thu, 11 May 2017 08:18:52 EST ID:C77gzDit No.35124 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35100
>>35101
>>35112

Thanks for sharing in my journey guys, it was great having a place to ramble on about what I was doing out here.

As for tips on sailing and boating, I highly recommend getting over the anxiety of taking the boat out onto the water. I've seen a lot of people in the past year and a half who bought boats only to sit in a slip or have it on a trailer in their yard for the whole process. And without ever being asked they're quick to give you all their excuses - "I have no time" or "it needs more work." Most of them will tell you all the parts it needs, and no joke it's usually cosmetic things. The truth is they're afraid to take the boat out and so they never do.

My boat was never in proper "seaworthy" condition by rich people's standards, but I went sailing hundreds of times anyways and only had the engine give me trouble once. Grab sailing for dummies and get on the water!

Taken as a larger example, I think a lot of people are afraid to travel or do something they want for similar reasons. They never have the time or money or they're sick. If you think like that you'll never get into an adventure.

>>35112

Didn't run out of money, but that would certainly make it tough to sustain this. You've gotta have some basic income or getting hurt or sick or hungry could pose some serious threats to you. I have a decent amount of money saved up still, and will be using it to set up the next part of my life. I guess I just feel complete with this part of my life now, other than the fact that it's fun I have no reason to continue it. I learned to sail and had my fun. But I've got to admit, I'm ready for indoor plumbing, A/C, and a kitchen again! Plus, I've got lots of music projects I started out here that I'd like to tackle more seriously now and that's tough to do on a rocking boat with wind blowing rigging around.

Best wishes to all of you, and may there always be a road
>>
Martin Derringshaw - Wed, 24 May 2017 17:10:13 EST ID:S8/iomwG No.35175 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Interesting fucking read, op. Definitely inspired by/jealous of your awesome adventures. I've met a lot of really cool travelers through my current job who have been an inspiration for me to do the same.

I've been living on my own and in serious relationships the whole time since getting out of highschool ten years ago and I have to say I have no desire now of living a traditional lifestyle. I'm a homeowner (primary on a co-loan), and have kept horses/goats, almost got married twice. I know what the every day life is like, and there's no consolation for me there. I spent the last year living alone, working, doing a bunch of psychedelics/empathogens, writing music, and having decent amounts of wild sex, and I quickly realized I don't care for that either.

I put in my one month notice with my landlords last week, I'm getting rid of/storing my furniture, going to spend the rest of the year couch surfing/living out of my car while I save money to travel. I should have my new car paid off and about $10,000 saved up by the end of this year. All expenses tallied this should be enough to travel for a minimum of six months cross country if I like it enough.

I'm not expecting much out of this besides a breath of fresh air from the hum drum of ordinary life. Good to read other people's stories. Like I said I've met a lot of travelers through my job and they're always the most interesting and likeable people that I come across.
>>
Eliza Bluzzlesodge - Mon, 28 Aug 2017 20:59:27 EST ID:tKCGBcot No.35371 Ignore Report Quick Reply
hey boatman is your boat ok?
>>
Zhim - Sun, 04 Feb 2018 22:01:04 EST ID:yjeIEQrQ No.35630 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1517799664077.jpg -(86238B / 84.22KB, 1280x720) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>35371
Boat got absolutely fucked in the storm!

You know, it’s a sort of miracle coincidence that I left when I did, because Harvey swallowed the Texas coast and destroyed everything. I would’ve been leaving whether I wanted to or not.

Pic is a photo my friend from the marina sent me of my boat.
>>
Zhim - Sun, 04 Feb 2018 22:02:56 EST ID:yjeIEQrQ No.35631 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1517799776802.jpg -(785916B / 767.50KB, 3000x2250) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
So here’s the deal, I actually REALLY miss sailing! So I’m going to buy another boat, with any luck another Catalina 22 and keep it on a lake and get back to sailing. Not gonna liveaboard because I have a neat apartment downtown and am having a hell of a time doing the city life thing lately.

The adventures continue!
>>
Phineas Dabberkane - Tue, 06 Feb 2018 19:00:00 EST ID:GXrxok7b No.35638 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35630

did you have insurance on that shit?
>>
Zhim - Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:09:14 EST ID:Ra28BVC6 No.35640 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35638
I sold the boat for cash before leaving the island so it doesn’t matter, a drunk guy asked who I was selling the boat to when I was moving out and I told him “you if you want it” so he went to an atm and I handed over the papers. Never actually registered it with the state so it was easy.
>>
George Fingerfare - Thu, 08 Feb 2018 18:39:18 EST ID:GXrxok7b No.35641 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35640

did you take a loss from all the money you invested fixing it up? what was the net gain/loss?

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.