420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Bought a moped by Albert Snodfuck - Fri, 05 May 2017 16:47:45 EST ID:gddh0v4p No.35102 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1494017265826.jpg -(20642B / 20.16KB, 174x250) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 20642
Tips for using this fucking deathtrap?
>>
Ernest Fushstock - Fri, 05 May 2017 20:47:23 EST ID:1NycZxVl No.35103 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35102
Sell it.
>>
James Bremmerwere - Sat, 06 May 2017 05:55:47 EST ID:WgL4ybOV No.35104 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35103

Considering that.

But for real.
>>
Albert Crishshaw - Sat, 06 May 2017 18:01:14 EST ID:j1VM06cm No.35106 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35102
Own it. If you're ashamed of it people will laugh atyou and make fun of you.

But if you own what it means to ride a scooter, to be comfortable with it, then it'l be better. Fucking hoon around on it, Challenge sportbikes to drag races at lights, pop wheelies, rev bomb people, wear full racing leathers. Then people will know you as that crazy and awesome scooter bro.
>>
Jenny Snodforth - Sat, 06 May 2017 19:29:42 EST ID:NgGHXWBc No.35107 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35106

Oh I know how to own what I buy (except if it's a big black dildo) but I was looking more for practical tips like how to use the roads what to bring with me every trip etc.
>>
Sophie Pannerman - Sat, 06 May 2017 23:21:24 EST ID:7UndKwKL No.35108 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35107
stay between the lines on the road. and bring some gasoline and a helmet
>>
Sidney Hemmlekare - Sun, 07 May 2017 10:53:34 EST ID:9PstFYNW No.35109 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1494168814733.jpg -(79992B / 78.12KB, 919x498) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>35102
join the moped motorcycle club
>>
Martin Dishstock - Sun, 07 May 2017 11:04:14 EST ID:j1VM06cm No.35111 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35107

Oh, well, a helmet and gloves are pretty much required for safety. A jacket would be a good idea, too. Wear a backpack too because mopeds obviously do not have a lot of storage.

That's about it. It's not that complicated. Just follow the road rules and you'll be fine.

Oh! wait, one important rule of thumb. Assume cars cannot see you. Car driver's brains are trained to look for other large vehicles, and a lot of the time their eyes just pass over a motorbike without their brain registering "yes that is another human being operating a motor vehicle".

Be very wary of cars merging into you, or rear ending you. If it is legal in your area, split the lanes and filter through stopped traffic to get to the front of the line so some idiot on a cellphone doesn't pancake you between their car and the car in front of you. Also watch out for cars turning left, ok? Keep your head on a swivel, and never just assume a car is going to do what they should.

Never, ever assume. Assumptions will get you killed.
>>
Ian Dummlechene - Sun, 07 May 2017 13:05:11 EST ID:+fd/nxFy No.35114 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35111

Good advice thank you.
>>
Terminal - Sun, 07 May 2017 13:19:35 EST ID:apYPUfsx No.35115 Ignore Report Quick Reply
  1. Hold down front brake

2. Full throttle

Do it on dirt or grass for a fun time
>>
Phineas Nomblewodging - Fri, 12 May 2017 16:49:57 EST ID:OOAM7GwX No.35127 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Bike arrived, battery dead, some nignog left the key on in the ignition with the lights on.
>>
John Grimway - Sun, 14 May 2017 02:09:04 EST ID:j1VM06cm No.35132 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35127

Funny but fixable. Do you have a battery tender? they look like a little box with leads that connect to the battery, let it charge for a bit then turn it on, drive it around a bit to let the stator charge it up.
Or buy a new battery if ya don't mind it, they're not terribly expensive.
>>
James Shakestock - Sun, 14 May 2017 11:07:36 EST ID:6ooTWst8 No.35133 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35132

I am going to make the company pay for their little trolling experiment with blood and fire
>>
George Clebberstock - Mon, 15 May 2017 17:30:35 EST ID:zhrAPc/Y No.35138 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Day 3, I have harassed the company into agreeing to send me a new battery as I am too lazy to buy a battery charger.
>>
George Clebberstock - Mon, 15 May 2017 18:36:34 EST ID:zhrAPc/Y No.35139 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35138

Still day 3. I have decided harassing the company for a battery charger would be more productive.
>>
Lillian Cumbleshit - Mon, 15 May 2017 20:49:08 EST ID:SIM+Wbt8 No.35140 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35139
Thanks for the blog bro. we're all really interested in your moped
>>
Hugh Danderdudge - Tue, 16 May 2017 09:42:40 EST ID:nWL1FRL1 No.35144 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35140

I know I'll keep you updated.
>>
Martin Perringson - Thu, 18 May 2017 14:37:07 EST ID:6GOZ1hDz No.35158 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35144

ITS WORKING MY FUCK IT WORKS NOW HOLY DICK IM THE MOPED GOD
>>
Beatrice Wuvingman - Fri, 19 May 2017 02:20:16 EST ID:hVrSg1Hy No.35164 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35158

Glad to hear it. Do you have any experience with moped or motorbikes in general? Or is this your first time?

Also is this a DUI bike? Like, is the reason you are driving it because you fucked up so much that you have to drive a moped that is 50cc's or less because they do not require a license to operate on the road?

Or is this a legit moped over 50cc's with gears and everything?

I used to ride motorcycles (and I intend to keep doing so) just taking a break after my last accident (zero fault, highsided on some sand that had been drug out onto a tight curve at night) while I save up for a new bike and heal up a little more. And my very first motorbike was one of those DUI machines, though, it was simply because I had not gotten my driver's license yet at the time.

Gotta tell you mopeds can be a lot of fun. Especially when you fuck around on them. Don't care what other people think, and your moped will open a whole new world to you. It'l become your little baby, your steed.

Have you bought some riding gear yet? a helmet and gloves at least? I'm >>35111 by the way, and lemme tell you, a helmet is necessary, at the very least to help keep the wind out of your eyes. The gloves, because my very first motorbike accident ever was on my moped and I made SUCH A ROOKIE MISTAKE HOLY SHIT. I was approaching a traffic light at an intersection, I had to cross 5 lanes, and I gunned what little power my bike had, only for the light to change to yellow as soon as I committed to speeding through the green. So I panicked and grabbed the front brake, and was launched over the handlebars.

I didn't have a helmet at the time, only my gloves. I slide a good while on my palms as I had reached out (as you do) while falling to slop my face from dragging across the asphalt. The gloved held up, and my hands were fine. I was entirely uninjured despite impacting the pavement at over 30mph. All because of a pair of gloves.

Get a helmet first, then a sturdy pair of leather gloves, and a nice thick jacket if you're feeling fancy. Don't be like me and just spring for the gloves first because they are cheaper and start riding without a helmet.

If you cannot find a store near you that sells quality riding equipment, then use what I use, https://www.leatherup.com/

They're a good website with tons of products. Never had any real problems with quality or shipping or anything. Customer service is on point, too.

And remember, it is better to yield to a larger vehicle, even if you're 100% in the right. It is better to be angry and alive than correct and dead.
>>
Isabella Clankincheck - Fri, 19 May 2017 12:39:48 EST ID:wat7B8pH No.35165 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Just buy a real bike. Mopeds are too slow to avoid danger, can't get out of the way of angry vehicles and are even hard to see than a bike.

Plus, with a moped you can't throw out a pocketful of marbles or bb's to cars that are trying to push you off the road. You can't take off and get away.

And trust me, there will be a time when some motorist wants to kill you and then very well could. A busted windshield makes them panic, slam on brakes while you get out of danger and away from some know it all asshole.
>>
Cyril Bunhall - Sat, 20 May 2017 04:56:36 EST ID:pD+Jw6Wd No.35166 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35165
>too slow to avoid danger
xD nb
>>
John Puppersire - Sat, 20 May 2017 15:54:08 EST ID:wat7B8pH No.35170 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35166
Being on a bike typically means you have far superior mobility and acceleration. If you know how to ride, you can utilize that shit to save your ass. You need to save your ass constantly when you aren't in a deathcage. So basically, you get all the down sides of a bike with none of the good sides because you're on a fucking moped.

>A fucking moped.

Sell it OP.
>>
Sophie Widdlelidging - Fri, 26 May 2017 18:11:18 EST ID:GoHv3UyW No.35176 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35164

First time, not a DUI bike, 50cc because I didn't want to get the motorcycle license, impulse buy. Not smart because I live in a heckin winter state but what can ya do I'm an idiot.

I got gloves, a helmet and a jacket.

Good tips and stories. Thanks buddy.

>>35165
>>35170

I might sell it when winter gets here but for now I'm gonna risk the open road. Yeha pocket marbles what an idea
>>
Sophie Widdlelidging - Fri, 26 May 2017 18:12:10 EST ID:GoHv3UyW No.35177 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35170

I mean I'd rather get my moto license and get a proper bike but I just don't have the money for one.
>>
Oliver Wunnerdut - Sun, 28 May 2017 04:45:01 EST ID:VZpdWNOT No.35180 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35176

Well I live in a winter state too, man. Michigan, to be precise, which has some of the harshest salt.

I rode a moped and then went to motorcycles (fun fact, you can get a learner's permit ultra easy and ride an actual motorcycle on the road to 'learn' without much hassle) and I kept a winter beater. A car purely for driving in winter or very inclement weather. Do what I did. Use your license-free 50cc moped to get you back and forth to work during the non-winter seasons, and save up for a super cheap beater car. Get a reliable POS. A car you don't care about, but will never give up on you. Use that as your main mode of transportation until you get a proper motorbike and get your motorcycle license.

It's a common practice in winter states for motorcyclists. They keep an ultra beat up piece of shit car that is still serviceable and reliable for winter or really bad weather. These cars are cheap to maintain and insure. Mine is a '94 Buick Lesabre Limited which has had more than a few front end impacts ruining the aesthetic. Though mechanically the car is perfectly sound. My motorbike (before I wrecked it) used to be a 1983 Kawasaki KZ 550-LTD. A beautiful, simple bike.

Get money from work with your moped. Save up for a cheap but reliable beater car, then eventually get a cheap and simple classic motorcycle if you want. Trust me, it is so worth it. My KZ550 might have only had 56 horsepower. But it'd do 120 mph readily and had a lot more low down torque than people gave it credit for.

My end message is this - You may see it as a last resort deathtrap. But that moped could very well give you a love for motorcycling.

Keep your eyes open, your head on a swivel, and be defensively aggressive. It is always better to get sneered and get yelled at or get a ticket rather than fucking die under some asshole's tires. Remember that.
>>
David Sullerlock - Tue, 30 May 2017 00:24:56 EST ID:OhGCpTLU No.35186 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35180

Well I'm on Medicare which has a 1 car policy for every subscriber, stupid but IDK if it counts bikes. Hopefully it doesn't so I can do what you suggest as that sounds like a good plan.

I've ridden it around a few times now, at first I was really nervous to take it out on the road even though I have plenty of experience driving a car but once I was out zooming around I loved it. Unsurpassed visibility, it's agile and way faster than I expected it to be (the engine shows any speed exceeding 45mph as redlined but I've gotten it to 60 without even trying; might be bad for the engine though).

Handlebars are a wee bit loose though. Makes me nervous. Gonna take it into a bike shop for that, don't want to fuck it up by trying to repair that myself.
>>
Charles Pickshaw - Tue, 30 May 2017 06:13:29 EST ID:OV670qRi No.35187 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35186
If it goes over 35mph on flat ground it has gotta be tagged broseiki

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.