420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
NEW CAR! by Hannah Honeygold - Mon, 15 May 2017 22:34:08 EST ID:EUv5Djrj No.35142 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1494902048592.png -(311769B / 304.46KB, 349x428) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 311769
I'm going to be moving out at the end of this year! I love my current vehicle but looking at it objectively it's gotta go. 200,000+ miles and could shit itself at any time.

I'm not exactly sure what I want, but I am pretty sure I want a compact hatch of some kind.

>Would like some ground clearance because I am used to a truck (but I realize that might be asking too much from a compact)
>No more then 5 years old (2012 or newer)
>$10,000(or $15,000 a little more if I am buying new)
>No KIA/Hyundai/GM
>No Prius (I like them, but I have enough trouble fitting in as it is.)

Or do you think my chances of finding a 5 year old Frontier for $10,000~ are less then 0%?
>>
Barnaby Duckfuck - Tue, 16 May 2017 04:01:21 EST ID:wat7B8pH No.35143 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35142
You could probably find a Frontier for 10k if you get a std cab, has 200k miles and is beat up. But honestly, the market is as follows:

>Every vehicle company is suffering right now.
>Vehicle sales are saturating now.
>SUV's and Trucks are in extreme demand.
>Brand new cars are literally sold at cost or at a loss right now due to non-existent demand because of gas prices.
>You're gonna get fucked hard buying an SUV or Truck right now. Especially a truck.
>Gas prices will go back up again at some point.
>Many companies are financing on 5+ year loans which is complete insanity.
>Now is the time to buy a slightly used car.

Your best bet is probably a Subaru Forrester/Outback. Avoid the WRX engine with turbo unless you just want it. They have okay ground clearance. Are hatchback and relatively roomy. You can get big truck bed liners for them which are indestructible. They are a Japanese vehicle and will usually go 200k but Subaru is on the lower end of the Japanese vehicles. But still miles beyond some hunk of shit Ford or something equally terrible. They are "AWD" but don't expect much. You could drive it on a dirt road in the rain or maybe some light snow but that is about it. AWD is just a waste of money/engineering when it is applied to shitty suburban cars and 8" ground clearance.

Nissan Versa is tiny as fuck. So is the leaf. The Nissan Juke isn't too tiny but I'm pretty sure it is almost always going to be CVT for what you can find. All the CVT transmissions you find in mass produced cars are complete garbage and prone to failure. Especially in the 2012ish era from Nissan. CVT transmissions are an automatic no go for me, they haven't matured into a solidly reliable piece of equipment for mass markets. I can't wait for someone to tell me how great these hunks of shit are too. Contrarian hipsters and all.

The Lexus CT is decent but it is small and very pricey. Mazda makes some hatchbacks but I've never had any good luck with them so I shy away from them. Plus isn't Mazda a Ford company in those years? Really, there aren't many hatchbacks out there anymore. They aren't popular in the US. I've heard there is one German hatchback that isn't terrible. But I'd never own a European car just as I'll probably never own an American car again.

The old Hatchback Honda Accords are solid but I think you'll be turning the clock back pretty damn far to get one. If you can find one that isn't riced out to hell and back with 400k miles.

Volvo also makes a rather roomy fagon but they were Ford up to 2008 and then Chinses afterwards. That also means there were Ford during the time that Ford bought Jaguar, Land Rover and some other company and ran them into the ground making shitty cars.

For what you want, if you can't live with a minivan, van or a truck with a camper and a high pricetag, I'd just buy a Subaru and a gay pride sticker for it. I wouldn't get anything before 2010 Subaru. Preferably, 2012 or newer. The older the Subaru the less reliability you get generally. I wouldn't own one from 2004 or so.
>>
Hannah Honeygold - Tue, 16 May 2017 19:10:43 EST ID:EUv5Djrj No.35147 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35143
Well I guess I will have to increase my budget, hows a Honda HR-V sound guys?
>>
Angus Wizzlebanks - Tue, 16 May 2017 20:54:22 EST ID:wat7B8pH No.35149 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35147
They have CVT transmissions in the auto's. So reliability and transmission issues are almost always going to be in question.
They look gay and like a 50 year old housewife vehicle
Since they are a crossover, I can assure you, it is a deathtrap given you can't see out of crossovers.
It is a 2700lb vehicle with a 1.5 or 1.6l 4 cylinder so I'm certain is is anemic as fuck.
If you get an older one, the check engine light will turn on around 180k and will basically never go off unless you disconnect the battery and reset the computer. Then it will come right back on due to shitty emissions programming. Which will make it nearly impossible to offload when it is older because people are terrified of check engine lights. This may have been fixed in like 06-08 I think.

It would probably be okay ultimately but Crossovers are still a gimmick in my opinion. Sorta like the El-Camino. They just sell well to idiotic women that want some king of the road SUV but can't afford them and can't drive them. They also serve manufactures extremely well due to safety tests that they excel at but are actually really unsafe and their gas mileage saves companies huge money in regulations fines and dues etc.

>Maybe I'm bitter but modern cars are set up around every aspect but practicality. And it annoys the fuck out of me.
>>
Phineas Grandford - Wed, 17 May 2017 00:21:49 EST ID:r6KlYcAa No.35152 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35149
How dare you say that about El Caminos.
>>
Beatrice Dirrylock - Wed, 17 May 2017 14:52:00 EST ID:kLBxN1J0 No.35154 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35149
posted about the visibility issue in the motorcycle thread, reeeee dont be one of those people whos almost constantly shooting like a cruise missile right into me

on a more related note, I'd agree with the above guy saying get a subaru. Get an Outback or a Forester. Outbacks ride a little nicer in my opinion but are a lot bigger. Just make sure to replace the head gaskets on whatever interval they are recommended to change them ... like 100-130k i think. You can get a forester with a manual but i believe they are pretty uncommon. You could also look at a crosstrek. Those cars are kinda fruity though

I have a subaru impreza and it does really well in the dirt and the snow even with summer tires for what its worth.

Why cant we just have small body on frame suv's again like the 1st gen explorer or a s10 blazer or hell even a decent unibody thats not an ungodly crossover like an old cherokee ... Imagine a new colorado like suv, I think that'd be pretty cool. Everythings designed to run for like 100k miles and then take a shit and also cost 35 grand its pretty sad.
>>
Archie Gurringham - Wed, 17 May 2017 15:16:24 EST ID:H6tXKfFU No.35155 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35154
I wish small cars still existed
>>
Ian Sinderway - Thu, 18 May 2017 00:08:03 EST ID:kLBxN1J0 No.35156 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35155
toyota ia is kinda small
>>
Jarvis Chicklesire - Thu, 18 May 2017 01:36:10 EST ID:wat7B8pH No.35157 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35155
Don't worry the auto industry is heading for serious trouble again. When the loans default on all these 60k dollar trucks set 5 foot of the ground and the gas sucking wannabe SUV craze dies, small cars will be flying out the door at dealerships. Once gas gets back to 4 dollars a gallon, you'll be able to buy some gay monster truck for your 2" penis for pennies on the dollar.
>>
Beatrice Grandman - Thu, 18 May 2017 17:01:59 EST ID:NmBXtHB/ No.35159 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1495141319307.jpg -(175565B / 171.45KB, 500x332) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>35156
>2388 lb
fat bitch

>>35157
My dick is so big, I need the smallest car I can get
>>
Jarvis Chicklesire - Thu, 18 May 2017 19:15:26 EST ID:wat7B8pH No.35162 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35159
Buy a motorcycle then and stick ur cock in the gas tank as a gas cap.
>>
Cedric Hammermirk - Thu, 18 May 2017 21:51:39 EST ID:EUv5Djrj No.35163 Ignore Report Quick Reply
What about a Yaris? The 3door model is pretty cute.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.