420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Van life by Samuel Fimmlewill - Thu, 11 Jan 2018 22:19:48 EST ID:VWIRaXmQ No.35585 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1515727188380.gif -(986628B / 963.50KB, 240x158) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 986628
I'm starting an extended road trip in my camper van tomorrow.

I'm doing this because I'm pretty sure I have avoidant personality disorder and every tactic I've tried to force myself to interact regularly with people I know has failed. Anytime I socialize with people my brain just goes into fucking retard mode afterwards and keeps summoning up memories of things I did that I rationally know are no big deal at all and giving me horrible anxiety over them. It's worse with people I know and care about. My rational mind is a slave to my emotions; I'm just not strong enough to push through. I figure at the root of the issue is a lack of self esteem and a lack of self control. I think I can work on both by training martial arts and getting out of my room and acquiring more life experiences.

In the past when I tried to take martial arts classes I always felt like I embarrassed myself and wasn't able to make myself go back. On the road I can just go to a new place and start all over fresh each time, abusing free trials so I don't have to pay for the lessons. It will be a good way to get some exposure therapy while still satisfying my avoidant tendencies. Regular interactions and friendships will come later hopefully.

My first destination will be Florida to wait out the coldest part of the year, then I'll start heading west to California and then go north up the coast as the seasons change so I stay nice and comfy. Looking forward to that legal weed out west. I have some tools I can use to earn some money and some savings, so I hope I can keep it going for a while.

I guess I just made this thread so I have somewhere to talk about what happens, although anyone else is free to talk about similar experiences ITT. I hope you don't mind some blogposting. Wish me luck.
>>
David Cacklestock - Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:50:28 EST ID:9llMy1Qd No.35586 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Good luck friendo. Wish I could go on a long ass road trip too. How are you able to afford it?
>>
OP - Sat, 13 Jan 2018 20:44:31 EST ID:Qj4+cb55 No.35587 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I'm chilling in the parking lot of a walmart on James Island just outside of Charleston. So far it's been nothing but driving. Tomorrow I'll get to Florida and start exploring.

>>35586
Thanks dude. It's easy to save up money when you don't have a social life and live with your parents. I've was working for a home improvement contractor for almost two years and then my father gave me some money to fix up my grandmother's old house before resale so I've got like 8k in savings after buying the van and some tools. I've got everything I need to paint and do various home improvement stuff although most places you need to be licensed to do it legally. I doubt anything would happen though. I'd like to work as a subcontractor rather than a contractor so I can keep learning from guys and expanding my skills, but if I can't find any temporary subcontractor work, I'll just paint for people. That I'm pretty good at and know I can do on my own.
>>
Fucking Dellydat - Sat, 13 Jan 2018 22:23:45 EST ID:4MuLf9Tp No.35588 Ignore Report Quick Reply
What type of van and what all mods did you make to it OP? I'm wanting to do the same thing by the end of the year.
>>
Angus Heblingchog - Sun, 14 Jan 2018 18:29:32 EST ID:jMwVPc+H No.35589 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1515972572747.jpg -(31106B / 30.38KB, 470x350) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>35588
It's a Dodge Ram Van B350 (second Gen Ram Van), but it's a 1994 so it looks like a 3500 (third gen Ram Van) because they did a facelift on the B350 the last year it was in production to make it look like the 3500. A company called Roadtrek converted it into an RV. They added a high top, a few compartments on the outside, a stove, range hood, microwave, hot water heater, shower, toilet, refrigerator, generator, A/C, and cabinets. They call it a Roadtrek 190 Versatile. Pic related is pretty much what it looks like except it doesn't have the pinstripes on the side anymore. Amazingly it cost over 100 grand new but I got it for less than 10% of its original cost.

I still have this ambition to try and become a pro if it turns out I'm any good at martial arts because it would allow me to reach a lot of people and influence the world for the better, so I just bought an already built out model rather than trying to build it myself. It was more expensive this way, but I had the money, and I couldn't justify wasting any more time because I'm already almost too old to become a pro. I just added a backup camera and a solar panel and bought new batteries for it.

Tomorrow I'm going to work on building shelves to hold all my tools where the back seats used to be and replace the shower head. Still haven't used the shower but the original doesn't have good pressure when running off the pump, so I bought one that is supposed to increase the pressure somehow. Right now I've just got a bin with all my tools in it and it's impossible to find anything. After that I'm planning on painting it solid white. I've never painted a car before, but I'd like to learn how to do it and save myself money at the same time. I don't need a perfect paint job, I'd just like it to be better than it is now. There's a few spots where the paint has bubbled off and some rust is beginning to form and I'd like to present a good image to customers so they don't think I'm some bum. Not gonna look for work until that is done.
>>
Ernest Povinghig - Mon, 15 Jan 2018 22:21:18 EST ID:BcAl3+RO No.35590 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Well today went horribly. I tried to replace the leaking shower hose and head with a new one, but when I went to unscrew the hose from the faucet, the part that should have stayed stationary turned with the hose. I guess I know why it was leaking. I know nothing about plumbing and I couldn't even figure out how the faucets mounted to the wall so I called about a dozen places trying to find someone that could work on it sometime soon. I had to take a truck stop shower in the meantime. It cost 12 fucking dollars.

Then later in the day while I was driving to the appointment to get my shower looked at, my van stalled and wouldn't start again right as I was about to get on I-95. I ended up blocking the ramp and people started going around me, some on one side, some on the other. I called AAA but my call kept getting dropped. I had to enter my member code about 8 times and they kept transferring me around to other people and then the call would get dropped. It took me over half an hour on the phone just to get my request in and then another 2 hours for someone to show up. Luckily some awesome dude stopped and helped me push my van over to the side of the road so traffic could get by easier about an hour in. I was much more comfortable after that. Now I'm sitting at the auto repair shop. Hopefully they can get me up and running without too much fuss because I don't have anywhere else to go and I don't really want to hang out here forever.
>>
Grover McWilliams - Tue, 16 Jan 2018 01:29:31 EST ID:4NGFOTkZ No.35594 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35590
Your current priority in life needs to be watching YouTube videos about camper maintenance and basic car repair. Your glorious road trip won't last long if you blow all the cash on other people fixing things that you can 100% handle yourself. I'd also gently suggest investing in a good wrench set while you still have the money.
>>
William Bridgefield - Tue, 16 Jan 2018 21:24:44 EST ID:+jvq7iSe No.35595 Ignore Report Quick Reply
It's not completely the same, but I'm doing an east-west bicycle tour across the country this spring. I'm renting an apartment with my friend right now, waiting for it to get warmer. The plan was to save enough for the first few months rent at a place if I find a city I like during my travels, but I'm still inexperienced, and severely underestimated the cost of living. It's all good though. I wish you luck on your journey.
>>
Eliza Focklehall - Thu, 18 Jan 2018 18:01:01 EST ID:GXrxok7b No.35596 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35595

that's quite an undertaking. what route are you planning? what timeframe? give some details
>>
Fuck Poffingshaw - Fri, 19 Jan 2018 21:23:58 EST ID:2TLU0FD2 No.35597 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>35595
Funny, that was actually my original plan, but I got hit by a truck 2 days in and broke my arm and had to get surgery to put it back in place and that was the end of that. OP here btw. I realized after that that all the people who kept telling me how dangerous biking was weren't exaggerating. The dude just totally ignored right of way. I came incredibly close to being crushed by the truck, The back wheels slammed into my back and knocked me off the bike. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.