420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Language by Hugh Pemmlespear - Fri, 23 Sep 2016 20:37:43 EST ID:LLbnIWz+ No.36839 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1474677463399.jpg -(138968B / 135.71KB, 800x1067) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 138968
Are we going to have a one world language? Which one will it be, english, esperanto, binary, 1337sp33k?
>>
Hamilton Burrysare - Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:56:29 EST ID:glhM6xUu No.36845 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36839
My current bet is emoji.
>>
Jarvis Clommlecocke - Sun, 25 Sep 2016 18:02:48 EST ID:cabahEmz No.36846 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36839

i think its getting more immersive in the way that something may occur to a method of communication through a means or another, but it feels like the ambiguity in not having access to a universal language has its massive benefits required
>>
George Bunville - Wed, 28 Sep 2016 15:29:17 EST ID:F3Wmu8Mb No.36849 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36846
Is that you NJ?

Anyway, the answer is obviously English. The reasons for this are numerous, but I'd like to point out that the only real competition for number of speakers comes from the Chinese and Indians, both of which speak English and are economically subservient to American interests. Even if they eventually become independent they will end up speaking a dialect of English and slowly forgetting their old languages.
>>
Betsy Boshfield - Wed, 28 Sep 2016 19:42:31 EST ID:5hz2OT1J No.36850 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36849
Yeah it's definitely going to be English, it's already the de facto language of the internet, and the internet is the model for our near future development.
At some point, obviously you'll be able to download all languages into your head, so it will be a bit moot.
At some point after that, all communication will be directly mind-to-mind, so the new universal language will be meaning or, if you want to get technical, the machine language underlying technological telepathy, and it will be really moot.
>>
Alice Clemmersene - Wed, 28 Sep 2016 19:57:16 EST ID:DFGa26XW No.36853 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36850
>download all languages into your head

I'm not sure that's such a good idea. It might be possible to structure a downloadable language in such a way that you could influence a person's politics, for example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_relativity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak
>>
Polly Gublingstone - Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:00:11 EST ID:5hz2OT1J No.36855 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36853
Being able to influence people's thoughts with technology is a problem not only inherent to mind-machine interfaces, but with technology in general. We already structure language to influence a person's politics...that's what politics *IS.* Mind-machine interfaces provide the only way out because they would allow us fine grained control over the informational content of our minds.
Ultimately, we can never get out of the brain-in-a-vat problem, but preventing mind-machine interfaces does nothing to change that and just robs us of a potentially useful technology.
>>
Phineas Crobberhood - Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:10:49 EST ID:pKpgIzqw No.36856 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36855
I'm not saying you shouldn't interface your mind with a machine, but if I'm given the option I'll still learn language the natural way and use machine translation when I really need to. I'm not taking something as big as a language into my mind without checking through it.
>>
Polly Gublingstone - Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:36:11 EST ID:5hz2OT1J No.36857 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>36856
Well that's cool too. It's possible that to meaningfully learn a language in your meat-ware brain (rather than some exo-cortex) you would have to go through the process of learning it bit by bit, even if it was in a hyper-accelerated time frame managed by an AI or something, so it's possible that everyone who wasn't an AI would still have to learn languages by checking through them, even if it seemed to only take a second. I also agree that when we are downloading anything into our brains it's important to check through it. I'd just rather debug my brain code using a compiler where I have GUI to manage all the variables rather than hard-wire it the old fashioned way if I have the option, but to each their own.
Maybe the universal language will be some sort of constructed Interlac? It's a worthy question to ask what sort of language un-enhanced bio-humans will use in the far future.
>>
George Gimmerwitch - Sun, 26 Mar 2017 18:24:48 EST ID:Xeo3AjGs No.37181 Ignore Report Quick Reply
How can I learn Esperanto? Any good resources?
>>
Ernest Blugglesug - Sun, 02 Apr 2017 18:29:24 EST ID:5uZuS+Mg No.37188 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1491172164555.png -(922428B / 900.81KB, 1280x718) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>36856
got news bro. you're on a PC on the internet. It's the most dark ages version of direct mind-machine interfaces. I'm manipulating your political views with my language and words.

Sad reason to hold off on the awesome tech we will see in our life times. For sure a balance to be had with security and privacy. But honestly every problem we forsee is really already upon us in some form, and is really driving the direction of society as we speak. Our civilization aware or not as a whole is currently deciding on all the shit we like here at /FTL/
>>
John Mashshaw - Sun, 28 May 2017 18:33:42 EST ID:d8NB0kCv No.37219 Ignore Report Quick Reply
A mix of Cantonese and English would be tight
>>
Jenny Sisslekutch - Sun, 20 Aug 2017 07:27:47 EST ID:H6WJ9d1v No.37296 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37219
yeah Gnor yill that shit my gwaylo
>>
Phoebe Grimway - Fri, 01 Sep 2017 10:03:58 EST ID:fFv+OUiq No.37303 Ignore Report Quick Reply
At the moment English is the closest thing we have to a global language but it needs to become more anarchic and/or democratic. Currently the anglophone centre countries want to have their cake and eat it; they want English to be a global language but they still control the use of it. While English is well-known for it's ability to adopt new words from other cultures, there is still a hugely paternalistic way in which this is done.

"non-native" English learners around the world have to put up with a myriad of very culturally specific words and idioms in english texts. Yet, if an English speaker from a non anglophone country wishes to insert their own culural concepts into an English text, they are usually forced to italicise it or define it, rather than letting it be. The reason being that they have to pander to anglophones. A future English should be more loose with words from different cultures and allow more flexibility from non-anglophone cultures.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.