420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
Music by Martin Mubberway - Sat, 19 Aug 2017 15:32:41 EST ID:CtiEz7SY No.37293 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1503171161830.jpg -(211234B / 206.28KB, 1024x683) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 211234
What music will be popular in the future?
My prediction is that people will get fed up with all the technology and electronics, to the point that non-electric instruments make comeback. Expect a lot of horns and real actual drums instead of drum machines and synths. Also in the electronic music field the more tribal sounding genres will gain popularity for the same reason, people want some contrast to their cybernetic lives.

Theories welcome and feel free to post songs, let this be the one music thread in futurism.
>>
Nigel Pidgeman - Wed, 23 Aug 2017 01:47:15 EST ID:Ef0FyvmU No.37299 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I dunno. Maybe all those fags calling themselves musicians on the internet when they actually only make gay dubstep in FL studio will fuck off. But I doubt it. That would be the best case scenario.

Hopefully real music will become a more popular thing and not just some electronic fad that everyone seems obsessed with. I need more shows, gigs, tours, lessons, jam sessions, etc. And I play basic keys, guitar, some bass, drums, and I'm an audio engineer. I also have a 50k dollar education and degree in music.

It really chaps my ass when some 18 year old senior acts like they are on the same level as me or deserve more work than I do because they can press play in a DAW. I fucking hate all this dubstep house wave whatever the fuck. It has took the barrier of entry (actually learning to be a musician) away and just made dickheads soak up more morsels of an already dead industry with halfassed shit. I saw these faggots all the time in music school. Some middle class white boy shows up with a pair of beats on his head and all he cares about is making drum loops or farting around with synths. Meanwhile, the serious people are spending hundreds of hours in the practice rooms while these fuckups goof off in the student lounge or just don't show up. Then at the end of the year, 20 people in the class are down to me, Doug and Jon. Not because the classes were hard, but because nobody got the practice hours logged. Then you see them bitch about how they are struggling or how music school is suuuucchh a waste of money and effort and how they wished they would have just bought a live rig or built their own studio but mom'n'dad wouldn't spring for 20k in toys. Then in turn, after arguing with the teachers and bad mouthing them and the school at every chance, you look into a school and they have 7-10% graduation rates and that causes the state to put the screws to the school because of stupid middle class parents sending Billy Fuckup to get a degree as Eric Clapton when Billy really just wants to sleep all day and jerk off to hentai.

But I'm way off topic. Of course, this isn't my canned response of, "Well, HousecoreVapourwave isn't my thing but I can respect it." that I'm forced to give less I piss someone off and lose a gig. But this is what me, and every other real musician are thinking in the back of our head while we vocally scorn the notion of "real musician."

Motherfucker spending decades working your ass off every day, losing sleep, missing out on so much of life, and dumping mountains of money you don't even have into something you love is a true musician. It isn't some half-baked quarter ass flavor of the month career so many losers want to make it. But in the end, it still pays off because the people pushing themselves make it no matter what. The guys who can't get a break didn't want it enough, no heart nor dedication. They just wanted to make some noise and be half in, half out. It is a game to them, and when it doesn't pan out, they are one of the 10,000 burn outs sitting on music forums with 20k posts complaining about the music industry and how music school is terrible and how they are an excellent artist but just never could make it.

>But my professional response is, "Well the music business is hard. It is pretty much just all luck! It totally isn't your fault at all." Of course, I'm really thinking all of the above.
>>
Nell Fuckingwater - Sat, 26 Aug 2017 07:03:56 EST ID:2TG1RO3c No.37300 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37299
I think most successful musicians have spent less time learning. You're pretty much at the far end.

However most of them did actually do some graft even if it was just practicing for half an hour every week night, a couple of hours at weekends and playing open mic nights every week until they got good. You don't need to go to anything like the lengths you did to be a great musician.

I used to hang with a guy who does "futuristic psytrance". He's spent half his life promoting metal gigs and plays guitar at a fucking high level, I know he's got serious chops. He's got the musical knowledge but he makes more money giving lessons to psytrance wannabes and playing festivals in europe. I think he applies the musical knowledge. Plus he's technical as fuck, he researches the and pours love into everything he does.

However yes, if your response is really only about the countless hacks who have no recognition beyond 15 friends on soundcloud then yes. However even electronic music includes a lot of genuine musicians. In the end it's not about electronic music sucking as a genre but about how low it makes the bar for entry as you said.

I think every genre of substance will continue to evolve and cross polinate with other genres except punk because punk is closed as fuck and throws out anything outside it's existing template and stagnates into mediocrity while it's closest relatives (and some more distant genres) pick up it's cast offs and thrive.
>>
Fuck Blatherman - Sat, 26 Aug 2017 08:04:33 EST ID:Ef0FyvmU No.37301 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>37300
Depends on your definition of successful. Most people say successful and immediately describe rock stars who actually did just make it lucky and almost all those guys will fall into poverty when they stagnate, and have no other career and can just play their songs. Hell, look at Mayhem for example. One of if not the most prolific black metal band who've reinvented then genre at least 2 times came through and played their 2nd most well known album for its 20th anniversary and they filled ~250 tickets at a 400 person show in a major US city. Then there are likes of Saliva who made a ton of money, but will end up burning it all up before they are 50. Then when they are spending their last years regaling old tales, what will it be for when they are broke and irrelevant?

I define success in music personally as being able to support yourself on music if you actually like doing it for the remainder of your life. But everyone else who isn't really invested think it is making 400k dollars in one night. And I also recognize you can get by on bar night after bar night just playing the same 200 classic rock songs. I know lots of people who do that. I know lots of musicians who do the stuff they don't want to. I've had to teach dubstep shit before to make money. It is what the market wants so you do what is in demand.

I was mostly just annoyed at the electronica area of music. They really cause a massive issue for the school I went to (and probably ever other music school) which I am loyal to and always have the biggest fucking ego's ever. They don't know shit, can't do shit, then act like they are the coolest fucking guy to ever bless your presence. Kinda like the 17 y/o DJ with 2 Peavey PA speakers and an Ipod.

I also spent a mountain of time learning music and other instruments just so that I can pull as many gigs as possible. My main thing is drumming. And within that group, I can play nearly any genre you can think of and do a show relatively comfortably. But I can also show up to the same amount of shows on guitar and bass and keep my head above water. Even with reading which hardly anyone seems to care about. (Which I fucking hated reading for 3-4 years solid. And still don't like it.) I can also do some keyboard shit if I absolutely had to. On top of that, I can run a recording studio, live sound, live rigs, set up gear, guitar/drum tech etc.

This is all excessive if you just want to survive on music but because I'm able to do so much and sacrificed a social life outside of music and generally for like 5 years while learning and so many other things everyone else was doing, I have no doubt about money or gigs or whatever. At my stage, as a musician I can actually save money. Something most guys I know working a 9-5 making 15/h can't say.

>Damn I'm long winded as of late.

But anyways, it's whatever the way the wind blows. You can't control trends. Just like the bar for pop music has gotten lower and lower, there are thousands upon thousands of dweeby white dudes who can play the absolute fuck out of their instrument now and are bordering on turning their respective genres into competitive wank fests.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.