420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread
How does weed affect you by Creaton Jiveturkey - Wed, 19 Apr 2017 11:52:19 EST ID:5PsOMVfI No.4884104 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1492617139476.jpg -(21833B / 21.32KB, 250x333) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 21833
Let me explain.
First, this is a thread concerning mostly habitual and heavy /weed/ users. What Im trying to do is compile a list of physiological, psychological and behavioral changes on people after long term smoking. I know such list can't be completely accurate since everyone's different but I still think it's going to be interesting.

Just to be completely clear - when I say sober, I don't mean sober as in "I haven't smoked today", but your completely free of THC, weeks and months into tolerance break sober.

>How does your sober (long tolerance break) mental state compare to your mental state in the midst of a long smoking streak (weeks,months,years)

Do you get brain fog, do you forget more or become more irritable, does frequent smoking increase or alleviate any anxiety, does it affect your motivation, drive, confidence, talkativeness etc. Whatever differences you can think of.

>How does your sober physiology compare to your "in a binge" physiology

Do you feel more or less fatigue, is your physical performance affected, does your heart do weird things (palpitations, erratic heartbeat), how is your appetite affected, do you get winded more easily, how is your lung capacity

If I have to be objective, for me weed is kind of a hinderance when I weigh out the positives and negatives. I know many people who smoke as much as I, but they don't get the same accumulative, long-term effects as me (long-term as in persisting even when Im not high. Most of them disappear after a week or two of a a break)

Upsides:
>I go outside more
since weed is the main pastime of most of my friends, when I smoke I am more inclined to get outside and relate to new people
>I more easily get in the mood for meditation or stretching
when high or in general when there's THC in my body, my brain is more receptive to the meditative state and my body is more receptive to slow, relaxing movements

Downsides
>Brain fog
>Lack of motivation
For sport, for studying, for chores or work
(Weed fucks with reward systems in the brain by offering instant gratification)
>I need more sleep
(weed fucks with REM)
>Hyper-aware in social situations -> less confident
>Overall more anxious

It may seem that I'm straight up hating on weed, but it's just my personal attempt of evaluating what weed brings to my life when I take out the aspect of being high. I find that the gratification and pleasure that you get from pot sometimes can cloud your judgement of whether it's beneficial for you or not. Many people aren't so strongly affected by these problems, many people can still function great while also smoking heavily, and MANY people, instead of getting problems actually relieve them by smoking. I just want to make you thing about it and start a discussion that may be resourceful to somebody.

Just for the record, Im not planning on stopping weed. I've been aware of the things it does to me for a long time and I have gotten them under control by educating myself and altering my approach to certain things. If you suffer from any of my weed-related problems - ask. I just may have a solution for you.
>>
Assinghat Craplock - Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:12:45 EST ID:sE7EICJh No.4884354 Ignore Report Quick Reply
https://www.circlejerk.com/r/leaves/ try there if you want a more informed discussion about this

I personally have pretty severe OCD and regular weed use made that worse. I have no problem with people who do smoke/vape and don't want to be a sobriety evangelist. For me being off weed for 4 months and going back on pharmaceuticals combined with getting behavioral therapy for my anxiety has greatly improved my life. In retrospect the things I liked the least were how I became dependent on it for sleep, the mental fog, the way it affected my short term memory, and the increased irritability and anxiety.
>>
Lillian Druffingworth - Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:14:30 EST ID:Xmg3f6eh No.4884428 Ignore Report Quick Reply
This seems to be a good thread for me to post on as I've not smoked for a month and was a daily smoker before then

>How does your sober (long tolerance break) mental state compare to your mental state in the midst of a long smoking streak (weeks,months,years)

>Do you get brain fog
yeah, though tbh it's not much different. Obviously there's the altered headspace when you are actually high, but when I "sober up" it's a slight difference but it doesn't affect my ability to think rationally as much.
>do you forget more or become more irritable, does frequent smoking increase or alleviate any anxiety, does it affect your motivation, drive, confidence, talkativeness etc. Whatever differences you can think of.
I used to forget more, but there's little difference in irritability. For the first few days where I couldn't smoke I was more irritable but that cleared fully in like a week. Smoking for me would almost always calm me down. I've had panic attacks out of the blue when high that was probably caused by the weed, but I've also had them completely sober before I ever touched the stuff so I'm a super anxious person in general. I would be able to loosen up and talk a lil' more when high as long as i'm comfortable, but if the atmosphere around me was awkward I'd be far less likely to talk than if I was sober. It makes me ramble incoherently less when I'm nervous though so it can be a bonus. Motivation is pretty low high or sober, not much difference.
I've been exercising more recently but tbh that's partially a coincidence as the weather has got a lot nicer and I've got back into skateboarding again because a new friend invited me. I'd still do that if I still smoked. I'd go on bike rides and bring a joint last summer.
Do you feel more or less fatigue, is your physical performance affected, does your heart do weird things (palpitations, erratic heartbeat), how is your appetite affected, do you get winded more easily, how is your lung capacity
Appetite is actually slightly more sober. Lung capacity smoking bongs was ++ so I could take a lot, never had heart problems that I noticed.

being sober for a month hasn't changed much. I'm still a lazy piece of shit, I might be slightly clearer headed but I'm also more anxious and more prone to depressive thoughts, merely because I don't have the "rest" that smoking gives me. I will say daily smoking was unhealthy for me, and I'm glad I stopped it, but I moved house so had to quit due to no contacts where I live now. I'd smoke once a week or so if I could. I thought sobering up would actually be more positive for me but now instead of blaming the weed I can only blame myself. Life fucking sucks, and I see why I started in the first place. It does make life easier, and I only smoked in evenings, so it was akin to having a couple beers to relax after a long day of doing stuff. I refused to let smoking get in the way of shit I needed to do, but it did cloud my head a little.
>>
Lillian Druffingworth - Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:15:46 EST ID:Xmg3f6eh No.4884429 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>4884428
feck I messed up yellowtext

nb
>>
Lo pan - Thu, 20 Apr 2017 23:27:16 EST ID:xbL/ONjs No.4884459 Ignore Report Quick Reply
started at 12, got heavy at 16. 26 now. literally 0 way to tell how it impacted me because it IS me. i've gone 2 years without it once and felt no different.
>>
Eliza Droshshaw - Fri, 21 Apr 2017 02:52:21 EST ID:wfldqzAB No.4884478 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>4884104
>I smoked heavily (daily, gram +) for 2 years, but took a year and a half break that only ended this past January. It's been at least a month since the last time I smoked, and I've yet to exceed half an ounce this year.

There's very little difference other than the fact I'm slightly more agreeable while under the influence (drugs or alcohol). However, this only last as long as I'm intoxicated and is often a conscious effort to mask the fact. I have a very aggressive personality, a naturally high tolerance to most substances, and will typically appear reserved. The only time I've felt "foggy" was after a few day long binge consisting of; drinking eating edibles/smoking, and around 72 hours of being awake.

I'm moderately muscular, but have terrible cardio. I enjoyed working out while high as it increased my pain threshold and allowed me to run on a treadmill without getting bored. I've taken corticoid steroids and smoked simultaneously, and while it had no detrimental effects (that I know of) on my health, I was unable to move the next day as I exercised until my muscles failed. Rarely do I experience heart palpitations, but they're short lived.

I enjoy marijuana, it's faster than getting drunk with fewer side effects, however I've never been an advocate of it's use. I went from smoking weed/cigarettes and drinking everyday, to sober in a matter of days without any ill effects. I have an addictive personality, but it's simply a matter of finding something else to be "addicted" to (Reading, games, hobbies, etc). I know several people who should never have started or burnt out, but often times they were dead end people anyway. It's a personal choice, and therefore you must decide whether or not you can handle it. It annoyed me when people felt they needed to keep up instead of acknowledging their limits. Just because I can eat 2 grams worth of edibles before smoking doesn't mean you should try to clear a fresh bowl just to prove "you can hang."

>Pros:
Relaxing
Slightly decreases outwardly aggressive behavior
Something to do when there's nothing to do.
Decreases soreness from exercise and prevents hangovers
Increase in volume creativity wise (I review content when sober to determine value)

>Cons
Content with being lazy
Legality, stigma, and cost.
Dealing with potheads
Inconsistent effect on insomnia.
I get anxious prior to smoking/drinking because I have an urge to finish what I start, and this isn't a great plan when you've got an ounce and liquor.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.