Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Headset Giveaway!

G933 Giveaway     Discussion Thread
Questions about pH by Hamilton Menkinlick - Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:15:01 EST ID:yOJVW9eo No.4913891 Ignore Report Quick Reply
File: 1536689701417.jpg -(15755B / 15.39KB, 480x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 15755
First time grower here. Trying to wrap my head around pH. What does /weed/ use to measure and adjust pH? How often do you adjust and measure and how necessary is it to get a decent harvest? Currently using a coconut soil with low salt content. I had heard that helps yield but also changes the necessary pH level that regular soil. Any other info and helpful tips is welcome. Thank you.
>>
Cyril Sandlechuck - Tue, 11 Sep 2018 23:41:27 EST ID:g4iPQtV8 No.4913920 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1536723687827.jpg -(110171B / 107.59KB, 675x900) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
/crops/
>>
Sho Minamimoto - Thu, 13 Sep 2018 08:32:11 EST ID:S9gE8Oma No.4913984 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>4913891
First off, PH can help with better yields, but factors like light intensity, plant training and environment are just as important. When you're balancing PH, you simply want it within the range that keeps the nutrients soluble.
If your PH drops too low, certain nutrients won't dissolve in water, meaning the plant's nutrient intake becomes skewed, typically resulting in deficiencies. The same is true if the PH gets too high.
If you plant seems healthy, isn't showing any problems, you don't really have much to worry about.

When it comes to testing, you might be better off avoiding a digital meter and use litmus paper or PH testing drops. Digital meters aren't that great, especially the cheap ones.
Litmus paper is cheap and reliable enough to give you a fairly accurate idea of what the PH is, however it won't give you an exact number, just an estimate within a specific range. You can pick it up from Amazon and Ebay, but some decent pharmacies sell kits.

To test the PH, you'll want two separate samples. The first is the water given to the plant (do this with regular water with no nutrients) and the second is the runoff under the pot. Test both samples and take note of the reading, then simply subtract the PH of the runoff from the PH of the water going in. If the PH of the water going in is 7.0 and the runoff is 5.5, you can conclude that the soil is too acidic.
When you water the plant with a nutrient solution, check to make sure the nutrients isn't causing the PH of the solution to vary from the desired levels. If you need to adjust the growing medium's PH, get a few bottles of PH up/down and use it in small amounts to gradually adjust the PH. If you don't rush things and keep a close eye on PH levels, you can stabilize the growing medium without risking the plant.

PH is a little scary at first, but once you built up a routine of testing along side other aspects of upkeep, it will be one of the easiest things to control.
>>
Henry Hashgold - Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:20:14 EST ID:aPMPqpTH No.4914038 Ignore Report Quick Reply
I don't grow in soil so I just use a cheap ph meter I got from Amazon and stick it in the water. If you grow in soil you need to test the runoff when you water. You could use a meter or just buy some test strips. Soil is generally more forgiving than hydro when it comes to ph fluctuations though.
>>
Charles Henningbanks - Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:46:48 EST ID:st+2yBNe No.4914045 Ignore Report Quick Reply
did my first grow this year i went with reg Afghani

and i use test drops my water jug is a 6.0-6.5 ph and seems to be ok in rock wool

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.