420chan now has a web-based IRC client available, right here
Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the float Name#Password
A subject is required when posting a new thread
Subject
Comment
[*]Italic Text[/*]
[**]Bold Text[/**]
[~]Taimapedia Article[/~]
[%]Spoiler Text[/%]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace text[/pre]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Community Updates

420chan now supports HTTPS! If you find any issues, you may report them in this thread

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Bryan Fuller Leaves "Star Trek: Discovery" as Showrunner by M'Pella - Wed, 26 Oct 2016 23:02:42 EST ID:lBRkOczw No.56838 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1477537362706.jpg -(8451B / 8.25KB, 316x160) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 8451
>Sources said there had been some strain between “Star Trek” producer CBS Television Studios and Fuller over the progress of production on the show

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/
118 posts and 16 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
C-Higgy !lfsExjBfzE - Mon, 23 Jan 2017 00:32:55 EST ID:asWVBJxF No.57737 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485149575516.png -(450229B / 439.68KB, 491x682) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>57727
That's pretty cool. Frain was awesome as Ferdinand on Orphan Black.

>>57732
It reminds of when Yahoo picked up Community to try and help drive views to their streaming service Yahoo Screen. Then again that was free and ended up being a huge money loser the company had to write off. I think CBS should use All Access as its own ad supported VOD app like Fox, ABC, NBC have with theirs but also have its shows available next day on Hulu like the other networks do and have Star Trek actually air on CBS. Honestly it sucks that it's even on CBS to begin with because regardless of it being the highest rated network, their shows are chock full of procedurals and shitty studio sitcoms. It's probably a good thing that Supergirl ended up moving to The CW.
>>
Keiko O'Brien - Mon, 23 Jan 2017 01:44:24 EST ID:NUbxvEoE No.57738 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57737
>their shows are chock full of procedurals and shitty studio sitcoms.
Tell me about it. I left the TV on after football on CBS and the crap shows they've been showing. Jesus christ.
>>
DaiMon Nunk - Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:54:45 EST ID:5uU+DoWU No.57741 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57728
>using a streaming service that forces you to pay to watch ads

well, magnet link, transmission maximum seed period engage.
>>
Guinan - Tue, 24 Jan 2017 00:39:06 EST ID:wvFGPKIO No.57748 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485236346785.jpg -(4707B / 4.60KB, 208x155) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>57741
This kills the fledgling series

CBS is so fucking stupid, even if any of pay for their service to keep the series going we will probably all watch it like this, and/or on cytube, we aren't gonna watch their normie shit
>>
Ensign Wright - Tue, 24 Jan 2017 02:34:40 EST ID:q3XMUiXr No.57749 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57748
And I guarantee we're not the only trek fans that will refuse to buy their shitty service and will just pirate it. Probably a decent chunk of us feel the same way.

Episodes you like that no-one else does by Erika Benteen - Thu, 05 Jan 2017 08:42:52 EST ID:2CjFaDB+ No.57579 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1483623772983.jpg -(87466B / 85.42KB, 1010x568) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 87466
I'm generally not too fond of ENT, but I found myself thinking about Rogue Planet after watching the SFDebris review. I actually rather likes the episode, for ENT's standards. First off, I don't think a lot of the complaints about it in the review stick. Sure, the planet looks kind of vanilla for the premise, but Star Trek was never about that sort of thing. The vast majority of planets we see have breathable atmosphere and are generally Earthlike. In that, the Rogue Planet is actually an interesting departure, and I do think the element of night works, visually. I also like the wonky visors, because they fit into ENT's theme of the crew using more down to Earth means to do their thing. Of course, Archer acts like an idiot. But he always does. I didn't find his behaviour to be any weirder, and it's kind of explained away by the nature of what's happening. I can accept that.

But the core theme of Rogue Planet seem very "Trek" to me. There are no real bad guys, because the hunters are well-rounded characters who have a set of sensible values. SFDebris mentions that it's kind of weird that "hunting went out of style on Earth 100 years ago" in ENT's universe, but there's a simple explanation: ENT is trying to be TNG and got its timeframe wrong. However, at the same time the statement is ambiguous. Hunting already *has* gone out of style. My grandfather used to hunt big game in the jungles of Indonesia, but stopped when he noticed that the animals were disappearing. Now, they are all gone, and so are the jungles. It's not longer feasible to hunt in the style of those hunters in Rogue Planet on Earth *today*, except for a privileged few. Presumably that's the state the Eska (the hunters) are in, except they go to the rogue planet instead of Africa. Most hunters in our society shoot species like deer or boars, who are in abudance due to the lack of apex predators predating them. Now, ENT puts this point where we collectively stop hunting slightly more than 30 years from now. That's a bit risky, but Trek also has an alternative timeline compared to us. By this time they've had two more world wars than we've had, and Asia has been ruled b…
Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
11 posts and 5 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Thrax - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 17:30:17 EST ID:fy/Qp6+b No.57689 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484692217900.webm [mp4] -(1435530B / 1.37MB, 634x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>57667
"That's not lemonade!"
>>
Lt. Cmdr. Argyle - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 21:56:38 EST ID:KikjBBjU No.57700 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57689
Like Troi would be bothered by getting pissed on.
>>
Dr. T'Pan - Wed, 18 Jan 2017 10:16:18 EST ID:ZEd+8oFc No.57705 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57700
Hey now, It's Deanna, not Lwaxana. Lwaxana would just give Picard the increasingly knowing look, then they'd fuck in the ready room.
>>
Idrin - Mon, 23 Jan 2017 02:51:52 EST ID:0Mo38u4b No.57740 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57689

haha never seen this one before. "a-are w-we good o-on uh, uh, gas?"
>>
Guinan - Tue, 24 Jan 2017 00:34:41 EST ID:wvFGPKIO No.57747 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57579

I was thinking about the original topic, that ENT episode with the mindrapist slug lady, and it just makes me realize that at least two thirds of all ENT episodes could have been amazing but somehow fell flat on their faces.. I swear that whole series is like a cosmic fractal echo of VOY Threshold

Goddamnit I can wait for Discovery to destroy everything left in my soul that loves Star Trek, let's all jerk off to Spock's dad getting Sanguine fever and fucking a red-blood while our main character buffs the floor on deck twelve since she's gonna be a lieutenant, oh God I can't wait for the coup de Grace on all of trek thank you so much CBS

Fuck I robably shouldn't drink and post sorry for the bad vibes

GUINAN'S HEADCANON GENERAL by Guinan - Thu, 12 Jan 2017 00:45:40 EST ID:RHNGWoY0 No.57642 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1484199940540.gif -(262018B / 255.88KB, 320x240) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 262018
Hi there. This is Guinan. I spend a lot of time listening to people talk about all kinds of shit, and also I make some pretty great drinks. But today, and hopefully every day until I get sick of it, I'm going to do something else.

First off, I'd like to explain. When I think about what really makes this place special is that the way memes blossom is in headcanons. I've been listening and over my years here I've heard some interesting headcanon, I'd like to share some. For many, these headcanon(s) will be familiar, mostly

For those who have not yet trekk'd all of the Star trek there is to Trek beware, for spoilers abound:

1In Star Trek Generations, Picard enters the Nexus. We are made to think that he leaves, but as I imply in my (Guinan's) dialog in the movie, no one really leaves the Nexus.. that is of course how I get (at least some) of my temporal powers which helped in episodes such as Yesterday's Enterprise. The truth is that any thought of leaving the Nexus could lead to a complex hallucinatory fantasy of leaving it, only coming to realize it was all an illusion.

Therefore all the TNG movies are hallucinations in the edge of reality in the planes of existence where man becomes Q and action picard was just jean luc's way of coping with the death of his family line now that his brother and nephew were dead and he was without child

2Unless Wesley was actually Picard's bastard child and he 'accidentally' put Beverly's be-stallion'd husband into harm's way to get rid of him

3Also in regards to the Nexus, someone in another thread once revealed to me the most glorious of truths, that Kirk's exploits against 'God' in Star Trek V at the center of the galaxy were actually a nexus fantasy

4Whenever there's a captain's log entry that's only a voiceover while the ship flies past the camera, the captain is actually taking a shit, that's why they changed it from the more formal 'blog' that had been used for several centuries to the archaic word-form 'log', as an immature joke allowed due to its history in earthen naval tradition
14 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Guinan - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 15:21:29 EST ID:ef2hX2Yo No.57687 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57679
It's some section 31 level classification but I heard that happened because we were transporting an alien diplomat who had a bad history with Klingons and he threw the barrel

..His name was Donkey Kong
>>
Ardon Broht - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 16:46:36 EST ID:rEWOPOwx No.57688 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57678
My silence for space heroin? DEAL
>>
Lt. Joseph Carey - Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:28:42 EST ID:L3E9v1HE No.57716 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57642
Holy shit so much good in there op. But I'm not gonna lie, I disagree with a lot of it. But I love that you've got me thinking about it. As far as it goes I think a lot of the trek universe could be a dream in the nexus. Things diverge in a weird way from that point onward, so its far from outside the realm of possibility.
>captains log
Never gonna see that the same way again though. lol

Do love the idea that the borg are looking for their creator. That makes the whole thing make a lot more sense. The borgs motivation always seems so limited. But if they where looking for their creator it all adds up. God bless you guinan you've given me a lot to fucking chew on here.
>>
Kes - Mon, 23 Jan 2017 21:56:20 EST ID:ZpwdGY74 No.57743 Ignore Report Quick Reply
People sometimes wonder how we as a species somehow evolved beyond our differences in culture and biodiversity to become a western-themed unified people that collectively joined into one nation with one goal, and dream that we as a species will do so with the natural progression of time.

And yet, every other species we've encountered in the stars is mostly unicultural and uniracial, barring extreme exceptions like Remans and Romulans built on millenia of control. We have 'black' Vulcans, sure, but the odd Tuvok does not a subspecies make. So why is it that we, Federation supreme we are, able to accomadate humans of vastly different racial and cultural makeups, AND unify with hundreds of other species across the galaxy, who in turn are mostly genetically similar to one another? Can we simply not see THEIR racial differences? Are we really just destined to find commonality and overcome our petty racial lines?

The answer is of course: No. Not just no, but hell no. EVERY race besides ours has had, in some point of their history, a planetary racial purge of all but one dominant ethnic group, and it is through this planetary unity that they were able to achieve FTL travel. All species are destined to compete racially before they achieve the unity of race needed to devote their cultures inwardly to star travel. Those that avoid this racial extermination often destroy themselves first by acheiving the technology to destroy each other and not the technology to unify themselves. Except we got lucky.

2. The events of World War III and the Eugenics War gave the species the tools to perfect genetic engineering through technology similar to our modern-day CRISPR. Khan Noonien Singh and his merry band of misfits were a prototype for the true perfection of the process, and 31 NGOs and thinktanks came together in the wake of the war with the now-banned technology, and decided that the divides of the human condition required genetic tampering to force out of the species through long-game engineering. These groups merged into many of the world recovery efforts, and injected drugs that altered the brain chemistry and physical inclinations of civilizations worldwide towards western i…
>>
Guinan - Tue, 24 Jan 2017 00:28:56 EST ID:wvFGPKIO No.57746 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485235736077.jpg -(31102B / 30.37KB, 512x488) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>57743
>Kes

Heh heh

Seriously though this kinda hit me in the feels because in a lot of ways it resonates with the current zeitgeist of racial/cultural tension in the West and makes me worry that we as a species will never achieve the kind of future we see in Trek because we simply won't make it through the "great filter". That's what Trek is all about, after all, dreaming of a better future, of mankind after it started to grow up, but there's still a good chance we might be snuffed out in the cradle. I hope not,but looking at the modern day, most of the social and political structures that exist on a global scale aren't about the betterment of mankind but rather power, resources, and dominance, even if on the surface they resemble the ideals of the Federation, they are almost exclusively rotten to the core with a level of corporate greed and hunger for wealth that would give most Ferengi pause.

Here's hoping we can make it to sipping root beer on Terok Nor

Bump when Watching III by Joseph Sisko - Sun, 03 Apr 2016 18:28:41 EST ID:CtWKbnGU No.53706 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1459722521877.jpg -(239201B / 233.59KB, 850x404) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 239201
Stumbled across Samaritan Snare and realized we did not have a BWW thread as of late.

>We need things that make us go

Always loved the Pakleds, first for the obvious nod in the name (pack-led) and that they are basically space autists

Anyway, bump whenever you are watching star trek or see it on somewhere.
372 posts and 106 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Subcommander Velal - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 08:15:21 EST ID:5aCbAqEw No.57682 Ignore Report Quick Reply
decided to do an only worf episodes run.

picard daggled his family honor in front of him like he was fucking with him for almost getting stabbed in some dumb court case.

and iridians, in birthright i think that's one of the early appearances. NO FUCKING THUMBS. how you get space tech wth no thumbs? were they uplifted and used as spies by some past galactic power thus giving them a reputation as information brokers?
>>
Subcommander Velal - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 08:19:01 EST ID:5aCbAqEw No.57683 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57682
and then in gambit part 1 they get an iridian and the second his part demands he pick some thing up suddenly thumbs.
>>
Guinan - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 15:18:46 EST ID:ef2hX2Yo No.57686 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57682
>>57683
It's Yridiians (closed caption taught me) and they show those dudes like three times and they have wildly different hands each time
>>
Jossen - Mon, 23 Jan 2017 22:52:55 EST ID:5aCbAqEw No.57744 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57686
huh, I never watch with subtitles but it always sounded like it began with I.
>>
Guinan - Tue, 24 Jan 2017 00:17:32 EST ID:wvFGPKIO No.57745 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57744

Trust me, even among Star trek nerds I am a nerd

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Yridian

Star Trek Waifu/Husbando Thread by DaiMon Bok - Thu, 22 Dec 2016 22:38:02 EST ID:Mo/cULC+ No.57459 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1482464282869.jpg -(287716B / 280.97KB, 1100x800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 287716
So, Star Trek '09 is mediocre, and Into Darkness is terrible. But I actually quite liked Beyond.

And I have never waifu'd as hard as I do for Jaylah. Holy shit. I felt like a teenage girl in a crush in the theater, and I've watched the movie twice since then and not felt any different.

>mfw "I do not know what is a welcome mat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZqFK4dcl2Q
1 posts and 1 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
B'Etor - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 11:02:28 EST ID:zsuUhNCG No.57472 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1482595348231.jpg -(117838B / 115.08KB, 1010x568) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Trip is a standard hottie, it can't be helped
And his accent is kawaii
>ywn neuropressure

ENT definitely had the hottest actors, I'll give it that

Evil Kira is also pretty qt
>>
Liquidator Brunt - Sat, 24 Dec 2016 20:58:27 EST ID:xFnlgs1F No.57475 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57459
Find yourself a Russian woman OP. That's what you're looking for: Russian. RIP Anton Yeltsin
>>
General Martok - Sun, 01 Jan 2017 19:50:17 EST ID:Mo/cULC+ No.57552 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57475
I didn't know Russian women all had stripes, loved 90s experimental hip hop, and combined badass and adorable.
>>
Senator Tal'aura - Mon, 02 Jan 2017 11:56:43 EST ID:nmC6HEtN No.57558 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57552
No not all, but if you're going to find that combination of traits in a woman, she's going to be Russian.
>>
M'ret - Mon, 23 Jan 2017 12:39:19 EST ID:IbAWq423 No.57742 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57475
>Yeltsin
Fuck off, you Romulan spy.

What would you have made instead of Insurrection? by Jack Crusher - Sat, 30 Jul 2016 14:17:00 EST ID:k5sRUJT7 No.55392 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1469902620301.jpg -(68921B / 67.31KB, 331x475) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 68921
Something that I have been wondering for quite a while. Why did they make Insurrection?

I mean, it had almost nothing to do with anything and had a message that had been told much better in non-Trek stuff. I mean, Picard himself had assisted with forced relocations before without too many qualms (See "Journey's End")

So, what would you have liked to see instead, anything Trek related. I mean, would you have done a different movie with the TNG cast? Maybe do one final TOS film? Gone through with the original idea of it being a film all about Q? Done something with the DS9 crew?

I personally always thought that they should have used it as a nice cross-over, bringing Sisko, Picard and Janeway together for something, maybe to do with the Dominion War. Maybe have a bit where Voyager temporarily makes it back to the Alpha Quadrant for a little time and explain how Voyager managed to use 123 of their "irreplaceable" 38 Photon Torpedo complement.

I kinda like the idea of Defiant, Enterprise-E and Voyager just having crippled the bad guys ship, but at the cost of their own, when the bad guy opens a portal to escape to the Delta Quadrant. Naturally, Picard is like "Someone needs to follow them back to the Delta Quadrant and stop them. Enterprise is best equipped for this mission. We'll see you when we get back in 70 years." Before suddenly they get disabled by a few shots from Voyager with Janeway going "Can't let you do that, Captain. We've been trapped in the Delta Quadrant for a long time, we can handle ourselves, but the Federation needs her flagship here to fight the Dominion."

So, let's hear what you would have done in the late 90's.
20 posts and 7 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Lauren - Tue, 02 Aug 2016 02:44:58 EST ID:qbvuHKHy No.55453 Ignore Report Quick Reply
lol thanks for the praise guys

>>55451
Please do
>>
Guinan - Sun, 22 Jan 2017 19:38:28 EST ID:RHNGWoY0 No.57734 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485131908945.jpg -(531191B / 518.74KB, 1000x1399) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55430
This would have been remarkably better than Star Trek Discovery
>>
Guinan - Sun, 22 Jan 2017 19:42:41 EST ID:RHNGWoY0 No.57735 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485132161573.jpg -(29353B / 28.67KB, 495x371) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55395
>a sequel where Worf gets a purple space cannon
>>
Morn - Sun, 22 Jan 2017 23:36:53 EST ID:TJx6CT+d No.57736 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485146213280.jpg -(126732B / 123.76KB, 800x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55392
I know that it would have been impossible, especially since the TOS crew would've been old as shit, but I'd love there to have been a huge crossover with all-then four captains and their crew that involve them fighting some huge threat, like, I dunno, due to time shit or something humanity basically become literal space nazis in some alternative dimension and they figure out how to take over other dimensions and it's up to the four captains and their crew to save the galaxy. Heads will be butted, Worf will be beaten up, Harry still won't get promoted, but they will prevail and restore the time space contiuum.

Then it turns out that it was Q testing humanity and he gets punched by Sisko again.

I guess it'd be too much to do with a movie... maybe more like a comic mini-series?
>>
Major Rakal - Mon, 23 Jan 2017 02:13:11 EST ID:/M7y7o2O No.57739 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>The crew somehow brings in Jake to talk some sense into his father but the Sisko doesn't recognize him and turns his son into a pack of Menthol Kools.

this was all I needed, fund it!

Vulcan Genitalia by DaiMon Bractor - Thu, 04 Aug 2016 01:38:05 EST ID:AdxOeoX4 No.55476 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1470289085769.jpg -(110205B / 107.62KB, 700x530) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 110205
Ever Wondered what a vulcan dingus looks like? Ever wanted a history of the speculation on what the vulcan penis looks like?

If the answer to either question is yes, you're in luck:
http://fanlore.org/wiki/Vulcan_Genitalia
>>
Guinan - Thu, 04 Aug 2016 20:00:00 EST ID:sehZ/Igr No.55485 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1470355200124.png -(150281B / 146.76KB, 400x299) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55476
so these illustrations inform me that Vulcan dick is always pulsating and doing the meatspin during Pon Farr?

>the more you know
>>
Gralik Durr - Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:26:38 EST ID:5x6JN0pm No.57731 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>55476
http://rgho.st/6XTl2bZ4c
>>
Guinan - Sun, 22 Jan 2017 19:22:19 EST ID:RHNGWoY0 No.57733 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1485130939298.jpg -(21458B / 20.96KB, 320x240) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>55485
>when your own 6 month shitpost makes you laugh out loud
life ain't so bad

Mirror universe. by Empress Janeway. - Mon, 16 Jan 2017 01:47:59 EST ID:3C6F7SB9 No.57668 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1484549279965.jpg -(2290378B / 2.18MB, 6493x3650) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 2290378
Should the new Star Trek series of movies ever explore the mirror universe? This has hardly been touched on. There was the one TOS ep, Enterprise, but this is not enough. I want more of the Terran Empire. I want to know what happened to the empire after a long time. What is it like in the Voyager timeline? Has a terran ship ever been transported to the delta quadrant by the Caretaker?
22 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Raven Overcoming Orchid !Tz0ULG.7to - Sat, 21 Jan 2017 02:24:57 EST ID:3q2kEMAP No.57723 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484983497524.jpg -(2299849B / 2.19MB, 2400x1596) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
Somehow, Enterprise has the best MU episodes.

I'd personally like to see Patrick Stewart come back as Mirror Picard, a caricature of an elderly sea admiral mad for power or something. It'd be great to have a one-off Mirror Universe movie.
>>
Thalen - Sat, 21 Jan 2017 10:20:38 EST ID:NUbxvEoE No.57724 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57723
>Enterprise has the best MU episodes.
Well, other than Mirror, Mirror itself. And I honestly don't think of the DS9 episodes as being in the Mirror Universe. Just in some other kind of alternate universe.
>>
Admiral Nechayev - Sat, 21 Jan 2017 12:17:25 EST ID:syC+oe3F No.57725 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57724
Except, you know, that it's a major plot point that it's the same universe.
>>
Keldar - Sat, 21 Jan 2017 16:20:29 EST ID:oB5zPqAN No.57726 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57725

Indeed. The first DS9 mirror episode "Crossover" references the first mirror episode and Kirk's crossing.
>>
Benny Russell - Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:15:01 EST ID:2CjFaDB+ No.57730 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57724
But... the entire point of DS9's MU episodes is to provide commentary on the original in the same way DS9 provides commentary on TNG. Humanity embraced being nice, and as a consequence got steamrolled by everyone else in the universe who was still evil. Which is exactly why the entire MU in DS9 is so different from the main universe.

And while I do love ENT's MU episode, DS9 had continuity between its MU episodes and used them to provide the typical shades of grey commentary that DS9 does so well. ENT's was fun, but that was it.

Happy Birthday Royalties by Corporal Kelly - Wed, 18 Jan 2017 16:54:24 EST ID:nA4Z62pB No.57707 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1484776464233.jpg -(24248B / 23.68KB, 640x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 24248
DS9 S3E18 Distant Voices

In this scene a Dabo girl and Garak sing "Happy Birthday To You" in its entirety to Julian. From what I understand, the song was still under copyright then.

Did Paramount have to pay royalties to Warner-music for the use of this song in this episode? Or did this one slip by EVERYONE involved?
1 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Vekma - Wed, 18 Jan 2017 19:18:07 EST ID:xmR6+9bR No.57711 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57707
I don't imagine that it would slip by copyrights but then again I don't see why they would put the song in its entirety in the episode considering how much it costs, so idk..
>>
Seamus - Wed, 18 Jan 2017 21:16:19 EST ID:KikjBBjU No.57712 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57708
It was. There was a lawsuit that proved its copyright was fraudulent and Warner had to pay back its fees its collected. It's public domain now.
>>
Vekma - Wed, 18 Jan 2017 22:05:57 EST ID:xmR6+9bR No.57713 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57712
nice, I didn't know that. I bet they had to pay a pretty penny.
>>
Grimp - Thu, 19 Jan 2017 17:36:53 EST ID:nA4Z62pB No.57714 Ignore Report Quick Reply
Right but Paramount / Star Trek has avoided using Happy Birthday before. In my googling for this very post the ONLY OTHER trek/birthday reference was to the TNG S7E11 episode Parallels where Worf was skipping through dimensions.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Parallels_(episode)

In it they wanted to use klingon translations of the song but to the tune but switched it to For He's A Jolly Good Fellow.

Also, For He's A Jolly Good Fellow was used as the birthday song in another DS9 episode.... i'll find it later.
>>
Thalen - Sat, 21 Jan 2017 00:37:22 EST ID:NUbxvEoE No.57722 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57714
I think For He's a Jolly Good Fellow is a much better song to be serenaded by than Happy Birthday and I'm happy Trek used censorship to its artistic advantage in this case.

Healthy as a regalian ox by Michael Sullivan - Fri, 20 Jan 2017 06:25:12 EST ID:5aCbAqEw No.57718 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1484911512539.gif -(4423070B / 4.22MB, 800x450) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 4423070
It's a common saying between all alpha quadrant people. But what the fuck is a Regalian Ox and just what does it look like? More importantly, how long lived is it that it's known quadrant wide as a healthy animal?
>>
Weyoun 8 - Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:38:56 EST ID:UKKS3Tki No.57721 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57718
What kind of despicable melanoid slime Wesley asks questions like that?

I guess they're like Oxen on earth but from Rigel and you can be "strong as a ox" usually meaning healthy as well. And given we listen to everything translated into hue mon then it'd be the human name. So most of the time unless it's really catchy like "Targ" they're just going to compare it to something we know already.

Engineers Ranked by Morn - Thu, 08 Dec 2016 20:27:57 EST ID:sS5y1lLA No.57253 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1481246877182.jpg -(80144B / 78.27KB, 705x530) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 80144
Best: O'brien

Profile: The most "bare bones" of the engineers, capable of doing a lot with little. A real knuckle-dragger.

Pro: Famous of making broken stuff work.

Con: Has bad luck
81 posts and 32 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
Commander Dolim - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 20:12:43 EST ID:dV0i2NZn No.57696 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484701963128.jpg -(8110B / 7.92KB, 211x318) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
TOS Top Red Shirts Ranked

Fourth: Ensign Harper

Profile: Followed orders to his own fate.

Death: Vaporized by the M-5 Mulitronic Unit.
>>
Commander Dolim - Tue, 17 Jan 2017 20:13:31 EST ID:dV0i2NZn No.57697 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484702011128.jpg -(55436B / 54.14KB, 700x733) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
TOS Top Red Shirts Ranked

Fifth: Ensign O'Herlihy

Profile: Tactical aide, sent to help outfit Cestus III.

Death: Killed by Gorn Disruptor fire.
>>
Daniel Jackson - Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:29:32 EST ID:9gwZOrlu No.57717 Ignore Report Quick Reply
1484879372207.gif -(1033425B / 1009.20KB, 480x480) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>You'll be back,...they always come back.

Red shirts never come back
>>
Michael Sullivan - Fri, 20 Jan 2017 06:27:13 EST ID:5aCbAqEw No.57719 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57253
some one better make trading cards out of this thread. I'd do it but I have neither the time nor the ability.
>>
Weyoun 8 - Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:35:04 EST ID:UKKS3Tki No.57720 Ignore Report Quick Reply
>>57719
I love that Jeffrey Coombs is the biggest category.

Also we need a "best captains who are not the captain" so Maxwell, Jellico, Solok (baseball xenophobe Vulcan guy) that sort of thing.

We've avoided the obvious one and I think skirting round it as closely as possible is a very necessary option.

How would each captain fare in the Mass Effect universe? by The Doctor - Sat, 14 Jan 2017 13:34:40 EST ID:OikXj97p No.57660 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply
File: 1484418880978.jpg -(36887B / 36.02KB, 480x275) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 36887
Who would choose Destroy, Control, or Synthesis?

Pages Next>>
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.