Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Subject
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Generic Required 'Who is da best Captain?' thread.

View Thread Reply
- Sun, 31 Mar 2019 23:20:14 EST joJ9EBAh No.66903
File: 1554088814737.gif -(9710057B / 9.26MB, 400x300) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Generic Required 'Who is da best Captain?' thread.
Generic, but lacking from the main page.

Who does this community see as the best Captain, in terms of personal accomplishments, command skills, achievements and whether or not you'd be willing to serve under them in a high stakes situation.

https://www.strawpoll.me/17718359

Post reasoning/rankings/whatever in the replies, I highly await your Sisko.
49 posts and 15 images omitted. Click View Thread to read.
>>
Private W Woods - Tue, 30 Apr 2019 15:17:10 EST 4xG8xdJJ No.67322 Reply
>>67321
But then shouldn't the holodeck operate on these principles the whole way?

If you take that to its logical conclusion the holodeck becomes much more matrix-esque:
The things you see "only" exist within a micrometer of your eyes/pupils.
It basically projects a holographic "film" over your eyballs that acts like a clark-tech version of a oled contact lens.

The same goes for your ears. It generates animated" force fields that are the equivalent of earbuds.
It would have to take the shape of your ears into account, by either wrapping around them or by simulating the directional filter role they take in the hearing process.

Touch would work like a spandex bdsm gimp-suit essentially. A force field that wraps around your skin, and even you clothes and presses/rubs/slides across any surfaces consistent with the simulation.

Gravity related stuff is a bit more tricky, but I can't see why any of the above approaches wouldn't work with gravitons instead of photons, and furthermore it probably just has to fool your inner ear.

All in all this would mean that any person inside the holodeck is completely isolated from ever other person and even the interaction between them is simulated. Much less of a reason to have it a big room even, but I guess they do that just because "they can"
>>
Kozak - Tue, 30 Apr 2019 19:27:33 EST HeFO2p/X No.67329 Reply
1556666853452.gif -(2449977B / 2.34MB, 400x200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>67322
>>But then shouldn't the holodeck operate on these principles the whole way?
Well, really, they would just jack in. It's fantastically easier and more energy efficient. They honestly probably started with that idea, and someone in the writer's room said 'yeah, but we can't show people plugging into chairs all day. Let's have them walk around in it instead.' To which someone said 'how tf are they gonna do that?' 'I dunno, it's a hologram, or something.' 'But you can like, walk through holograms?' 'It's forcefields or some shit. You figure it out!'

Fun fact: they actually went to the trouble to consult with the Navy's R&D department in the pre-prod phase of TMP, asking them what kind of interfaces they thought the military would be using in 200 years (on the bridge in this case.) Even back in 1979 they knew everything would be wetware, there would be no orders audibly given on the bridge, just mental and computer impulses. And they were like 'well, we can't make a movie like that,' and went nowhere with it.
>>
Captain Kargan - Wed, 01 May 2019 07:26:39 EST gOUFeB9G No.67334 Reply
>>67322
in a way what you describe is technically possible today as a poor mans holodeck.
Those astro gyro things. I dont know what they are really called but you can spin all over the place.
Ride simulator hydraulics
Some company is building a full body suit for VR with haptic feedback.
Lots of groups are trying to push VR games to some thing worth while.

Combine all of that and you get most of the holodeck features. But that would be to close to reality for treks high tech future.

BROTHER

View Thread Reply
- Mon, 01 Apr 2019 09:22:56 EST BmvSq/yo No.66907
File: 1554124976140.png -(628735B / 614.00KB, 977x684) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. BROTHER
I AM HOGAN OF BORG
YOUR HEAT AND OVERNESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN DUDE
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE JACK
3 posts and 3 images omitted. Click View Thread to read.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.