Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Star Trek: Enterprise Thread Ignore Report Reply
Leskit - Fri, 02 Mar 2018 21:08:38 EST ID:ZR416Pa+ No.64076
File: 1520042918135.jpg -(18760B / 18.32KB, 482x351) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 18760
So I've been binging the fucking shit out of Strak Trak Enterprise and it's actually really fucking good. It's almost DS9 levels of brutal in terms of the moral choices and Jonathan Archer having to deal with the fallout of his fuckery is a great "pre-federation" back story.
>>
Jaro Essa - Fri, 02 Mar 2018 21:19:22 EST ID:pTiViKOB No.64077 Ignore Report Reply
1520043562739.jpg -(34946B / 34.13KB, 600x338) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64076
>>
Darien Wallace - Fri, 02 Mar 2018 23:06:19 EST ID:BFlLBWVn No.64078 Ignore Report Reply
It's probably a much better show if your expectations were incredibly low going in.
>>
Jaresh-Inyo - Fri, 02 Mar 2018 23:22:25 EST ID:HwGfRdj8 No.64079 Ignore Report Reply
>>64078
When I watched them all I would use Enterprise to break up the monotony of Voyager
>>
Dr. Leah Brahms - Sat, 03 Mar 2018 00:37:07 EST ID:sfGwnv2+ No.64080 Ignore Report Reply
1520055427720.jpg -(93282B / 91.10KB, 669x505) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
First season is kind of week but 3rd season I can watch over and over and over again.
Trek needs more Xindi.
>>
Former Gul Rusot - Sat, 03 Mar 2018 10:45:10 EST ID:URf+iq8h No.64085 Ignore Report Reply
Comment>>64080
yeah people shit on the Xindi arc for running too long but it held my attention, maybe just because i'm a simpleton. the first two seasons of ENT can be pretty brutal though.
>>
Tom Riker's Evil Fake Chops - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 05:28:27 EST ID:DGAsNRl1 No.64091 Ignore Report Reply
>>64085
To be fair, the first 2 seasons of almost every Star Trek series are usually unbearable.
>>
Guinan - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 11:44:18 EST ID:b048m/L8 No.64094 Ignore Report Reply
>>64091
This is a meme. TOS only had 3 seasons and the majority of the good episodes are in the first 2. Voyager also was pretty uneven until Seven comes onboard in season 4. Comfy pre-war DS9 is pretty great. DS9 doesn't qualify for this. For DS9, season 7 and to a lesser degree season 6 are the shitty ones, but only because so much more trash comes into play with the worthless whiny bitch and the hologram lounge singer. Don't get me wrong, Only a Paper Moon is a good episode, but they could have cut a lot of fat out of that last 1 1/2 season to move events ahead faster and allow time at the end to show us the aftermath of the war on cardassia, the aftermath of the war for the quadrant, etc. Ya know, to bring it back round to the optimistic message of trek. I would argue that the failing of the end of DS9 sowed the seeds for the death of Trek. All we got after that was Voyager (effectively a soft reboot of TNG), Nemesis (which had a lot of plot structure similarities to Wrath of Khan), and a shitload of prequels that don't care about continuity.
>>
Gul Ranor - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 11:58:03 EST ID:NmJ0Aupw No.64095 Ignore Report Reply
>>64094
It checks out for DS9 (about 7 out of 44 episodes are very good), and even more for Enterprise(2 of these episodes are good.). But it's actually not that true of Voyager which gets much worse than the first two seasons.

TNG S2 is alright and y'all can fight me.
>>
Gul Ranor - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 12:12:16 EST ID:NmJ0Aupw No.64096 Ignore Report Reply
>>64094
But for the quality of DS9 not being that high early on, it's very consistent.
Most of the first two seasons is unremarkable but watchable. Late Season 2 into Season 3 is where the shit gets real. More Garak, more Dukat, more Klingons. Good shit.
>>
Darien Wallace - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 17:52:08 EST ID:SfiMcBo4 No.64098 Ignore Report Reply
early DS9 is fun going back and rewatching to see the DS9 crew do Star Trek things instead of SciFi TV War Drama things
>>
Ulani Belor - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 18:09:47 EST ID:TinR0Zso No.64101 Ignore Report Reply
>>64095
TNG S2 averages alright. It's like a showcase of the extremes of Trek, you've got measure of a man and matter of honour and the child. But it's got plenty of patch shows that hit some of the right notes like up the wrong ladder, unnatural selection and peak performance too.

However while it actually has some top quality TV unlike S1 it isn't as good as what followed. It still follows the pattern of taking time to find its feet.

DS9 was about as good as S2 TNG from the get go. Which is to say it was often alright, and occasionally it was all LEPRECAUNS but then it was all "BUT THEY WEEERRRE CLEAN"
>>
General K'Trelan - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 19:00:13 EST ID:NmJ0Aupw No.64102 Ignore Report Reply
>>64098
The episode where Odo adopts a baby Jem'Hadar Quark found in some rubble is top notch star trek and there's a decent amount of that stuff peppered into the show even once the war kicks off.

DS9 develops Romulans in a way that really hadn't been done, and I think you needed to have a big war with a third-party to get down and dirty with that Romulan diplomacy and treachery. But Garak's the treachery. Best Captain's Log episode ever.
>>
Curzon Odo - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 20:42:49 EST ID:knEAr630 No.64104 Ignore Report Reply
>>64102
>The episode where Odo adopts a baby Jem'Hadar Quark found in some rubble is top notch star trek and there's a decent amount of that stuff peppered into the show even once the war kicks off.

That was a baby Changeling, not Jem'Hadar, it died, but it also returned his shifting powers since they were taking away by the founders.
>>
Cmdr. Erika Benteen - Sun, 04 Mar 2018 23:44:18 EST ID:2G6oewNa No.64105 Ignore Report Reply
>>64104
There was also a similar episode with a young Jem'Hadar who grew to maturity very rapidly which I believe is what they were talking about.
>>
Worf - Sun, 11 Mar 2018 03:26:33 EST ID:sfGwnv2+ No.64126 Ignore Report Reply
>>64105

Yeap. Jem'Hadar turn out to be mindless genecoded jerks w/o free will. Asshole by design.
>>
Kornan - Sun, 11 Mar 2018 08:55:56 EST ID:BjDqN+1t No.64129 Ignore Report Reply
>>64126
What I like about that is that it just highlights further how callous the founders are. The Jem Hadar are resource efficient and disposable. They aren't given any qualities which don't make them better fighters because that'd take effort. Its probably more only a bit more resource intensive to grow a force than maintain (ketracel white seems to be the trickiest part) that force for the same period of time.
>>
Worf - Sun, 11 Mar 2018 12:10:21 EST ID:sfGwnv2+ No.64130 Ignore Report Reply
>>64129

I guess that's whats happens when you are driven to near extintion by force of arms. You become kind of an asshole to others. Makes perfect sense to me.
>>
Michael Jonas - Sun, 11 Mar 2018 12:13:50 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64131 Ignore Report Reply
>>64130
The Jem'Hadar are bred to be assholes.

Also, no women...that has to be rough.
>>
Geordi La Forge - Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:06:15 EST ID:VYdhcYIi No.64137 Ignore Report Reply
>>64080
>>64085
For the time it aired, the Xindi arc went on way too long--over a year, after all. But in today's streaming world, you can watch that whole arc at any pace and it holds up a lot better watching it, say, one per day.
>>
Weyoun 8 - Mon, 12 Mar 2018 14:14:25 EST ID:2G6oewNa No.64139 Ignore Report Reply
>>64137
Long story arcs had long since been a thing by the time ENT aired especially when it comes to Sci-Fi and have remained a thing since then all over network TV and it still works there too.

You don't need a streaming service or to binge watch shows with single season and multi-season arcs. They work just fine with the once a week format and have for decades.
>>
Commander Tomalak - Tue, 13 Mar 2018 02:12:01 EST ID:8hqODrLh No.64140 Ignore Report Reply
It's the best of all Trek except perhaps the TOS movies
>>
Shakaar Edon - Tue, 13 Mar 2018 02:15:35 EST ID:jMEb+2Pv No.64141 Ignore Report Reply
When it was new I thought nothing could be worse than Voyager.
This show had a god awful start, and is universally hated.
I blamed Scott Bakula for ruining Star Trek when I was younger.
I revisited the series and ended up loving it after giving it some time. It kept everything in cannon, had some throws to the classics, and all around wasn't bad excluding the worst ending to anything ever.
I honestly can't believe I live in a time where I love Enterprise and the new Star Trek series is so bad it drove me into the arms of what I once thought was the nail in the coffin.
>>
Kira Nerys - Tue, 13 Mar 2018 10:07:26 EST ID:wxvIFlM0 No.64143 Ignore Report Reply
>>64141
This is their long game. In 20 years they'll be like 'we have to make something even worse than Disco so that everyone starts to have nostalgic feels over that.'
>>
Guinan - Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:26:57 EST ID:b048m/L8 No.64144 Ignore Report Reply
>>64141
Same thing is happening to all of us, and many Star Wars fans hate the new films so much that the prequels actually seem like good movies by comparison. It's like sci-fi is entering a dark age. Perhaps the only hope is Villanueve's Dune but that's 2 years away or more.

And to be a nitpicker, there were things that ENT did that were canon breaking, for instance phasers were not supposed to exist yet, transporters were not supposed to be refined enough to work on living things without usually killing them, and the first contact with Klingons was supposed to have been a violent disaster. However these are all minor things in comparison to the sins of Discovery , and Enterprise managed to capture the actual trek vibe. Enterprise, like Voyager suffered greatly from producer interference, and if it hadn't, it may have been a lot more on point wothbthese sort of issues since those were the people involved in production that wanted canon breaking bullshit. They even made the design of the NX a ripoff of a 24th century Akira class, just revamped to look retro, all because some producer was obsessed with the design and couldn't get it through his head that this was about 250 years earlier. When you know a little of the behind the scenes, it makes a lot of the problems with ENT more forgivable. And when you compare it to STD, ENT doesn't even seem to have problems.
>>
Iliana Ghemor - Tue, 13 Mar 2018 14:37:32 EST ID:bJrisuWk No.64145 Ignore Report Reply
1520966252980.gif -(2014602B / 1.92MB, 316x244) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64144
my whole issue with ent and std is that they both go back in time and try to (re)write history.
ent had some good moments but the fact that they were using superior tech in less technological times than tos seems weird and very frustrating.
voy is ok because it continues the universe, its just another ship doing ship like things. ds9 was ok because it was just a space station doing space station things within the trek universe.
but don't destroy everything thats been created just to go back in time and rewrite things and try to "explain" things because you have no creativity left to make something decent.
>>
Arik Soong - Tue, 13 Mar 2018 16:26:52 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64147 Ignore Report Reply
>>64145
This is a pretty valid criticism.
There is a tendency for the writers to fuck with canon. And it becomes problematic. All of a sudden, Starfleet has holodecks and real time long distance holograms, even though they are set five years BEFORE TOS. I get it. They need to put the writers on a shorter lease.
>>
Prosecutor Orak - Wed, 14 Mar 2018 17:53:52 EST ID:lo7aCbAO No.64152 Ignore Report Reply
>>64147
It's a combat simulator. The kind of thing they'd write into tos before cutting it to build a less frivolous pair of sets with their budget.

We have primitive holograms and volumetric displays today. Tell me more about how the technology is impossible in 200 years.

None of you are bitching about the lack of lack data tape mentions that TOS loved. Because we now know that it's the slowest form of archive storage a computer could possibly use and that fundamentally will never change because of the constraints of sequential access.
If you want data off a tape you don't plug it in and start reading, you tell the computer to load it up into memory, a robotic arm drops it in the tape deck and you come back when it's done.
>>
Guinan - Wed, 14 Mar 2018 18:48:10 EST ID:b048m/L8 No.64153 Ignore Report Reply
>>64152
So pretty much what you're saying is you agree, why the fuck do they keep making prequels
>>
Guinan - Wed, 14 Mar 2018 18:48:10 EST ID:b048m/L8 No.64154 Ignore Report Reply
>>64152
So pretty much what you're saying is you agree, why the fuck do they keep making prequels
>>
Prosecutor Orak - Wed, 14 Mar 2018 19:49:53 EST ID:lo7aCbAO No.64156 Ignore Report Reply
1521071393696.jpg -(12660B / 12.36KB, 265x190) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64154
Nah, I'm more of the philosophy that they should have started Star Trek in the 70's when there was real money in media and people stopped doing shit like shipping off their original Cage and/or Doctor Who masters to god knows where.

Really, who thought we'd use data tapes in the future? You only need to have used a record player to understand why that wouldn't fly. Hard Disks were already in use and being developed to bring costs down and replace tape.
But it was shorthand at the time for the image of modern computers the audience had in their heads.

Enterprise as a prequel is okay. I have no fucking idea why they decided to put Discovery in the TOS era. It's overly limiting, they didn't need to do it and fans are absolutely full retard over the degree of minutia they're willing to bitch about.

And while rabid fans will tear apart their redesign of the Enterprise, what it really does is confirm that the Discovery looks absolutely fucking retarded. If it can make Discovery look that bad, it's a good model and everyone should get over it.
>>
Kiaphet Amman'sor - Fri, 16 Mar 2018 06:42:28 EST ID:Rc82PPPG No.64162 Ignore Report Reply
>>64156
>If it can make Discovery look that bad, it's a good model and everyone should get over it.

Could you possibly set the bar lower?
>>
B'Elanna Torres - Fri, 16 Mar 2018 12:49:16 EST ID:55016LYX No.64170 Ignore Report Reply
>>64162
It also makes the Shenzhou look like shit and IMO the Shenzhou actually looks good.
>>
Subcommander Almak - Sat, 17 Mar 2018 12:55:12 EST ID:ZR416Pa+ No.64174 Ignore Report Reply
>>64156
Because they are afraid of not having recognizable shit. People like us would be fine having the chronologically next series, ie after Voyager/DS9. But the fact is that most common people, ie the amount of people needed to justify the expense wouldn't accept it. So they have to basically stay with the same shit that most people most of the time actually know.

Paramount or CBS or whatever isn't interesting in appealing to a niche audience. I mean look at the movies. They are basically all shit but people liked them because "I recognize Khan." or "I remember Spock." etc.
>>
Ishka Moogie - Sun, 18 Mar 2018 10:30:59 EST ID:ZayB4rfX No.64176 Ignore Report Reply
>>64174
That's the thing. TNG is bigger in people's minds than TOS is at this point. The JJ movies don't count.
Post-TNG is just as recognizable and viable as what they're doing. The world would collectively shit itself if they picked up that Captain Worf show that was rumored around 2012 or so. It would be just as big a deal if not much moreso than Discovery was.
There is absolutely not a more beloved Trek character than Worf. People loved him from TNG and if they saw DS9 they love him even more.

Plus any opportunity to bring in Janeway unattached to Voyager as one of the few non-diabolical admirals in Star Trek is welcome.
I definitely see Janeway as a career admiral, while I think Picard would either go into politics or retire. Between the two of them they could negotiate an armistice with the Borg. (But that should never be a plot line, that's fucking retarded)
>>
Ishka Moogie - Sun, 18 Mar 2018 10:38:15 EST ID:ZayB4rfX No.64177 Ignore Report Reply
>>64174
>I recognize Khan.
Not if you remember what Khan was like you fucking didn't.
God, Into Darkness sucked. But you're right, it's rated higher than Beyond, which against all odds was actually a fun and decent Trek action movie.
Possibly the best attempt to wrench a Star Trek theme around an action movie, even if the villain was nonsense. The Borg Queen was nonsense too, and First Contact is the only worthy contender IMO.

Making three action movies in a row kills the Trek movie franchise every time and they should have realized that by now. We got six TOS films because they spanned all sorts of genres and brought variety instead of burning us all out.
>>
Captain Rudolph Ransom - Mon, 19 Mar 2018 02:22:11 EST ID:ZR416Pa+ No.64180 Ignore Report Reply
>>64176
>TNG is bigger in people's minds than TOS is at this point.

I don't know. That seems a bit subjective to me. Personally yes I like TNG-era onwards stuff. Speaking honestly i think TOS is sometimes close to unwatchable... but again it's because most people and a great deal of fans know kirk, spock, bones, khan, tribbles, etc than things from say DS9 or VOY.

>>64177
I think part of the problem as to why there wasn't more trek is because look at the "canon/prime universe" tng movies. Nemesis is just everyones favorite isn't it?! (sarcasm) I mean the way those movies were directed and written put nails in the prime universes coffin.

Personally I can't fucking stand discovery but again they aren't trying to appeal to us. they are trying to appeal to people who like game of thrones and breaking bad and what not...
>>
Worf - Mon, 19 Mar 2018 02:47:32 EST ID:2G6oewNa No.64181 Ignore Report Reply
>>64174
I disagree. People who grew up with TOS are in their 60s at best. People who grew up watching TNG, DS9, ENT, and VOY are much younger and in the most sought after demographic. Picard may even be more recognizable than Kirk due to the amount of memes surrounding him, Data, and Riker even well outside of ST circles. Most people under 40 are familiar with the Picard facepalm.

Your assertion may be been true in the 90's to early 00's but its simple not true anymore. TOS is not longer more recognized than TNG and especially not by the younger crowd.

Even putting that aside look at the success of TNG. When it aired it wasn't anywhere near the time period of TOS but yet it still did extremely well, arguably better than TOS, It was still 100% recognizable as Trek despite taking place in a completely different time period. Discovery could have done the same but even though they went back to 10 years before TOS if you take away the Vulcan ears, rename the UFP and the races and you wouldn't even know it was Star Trek at all. Discovery is barely recognizable as Trek and then only (semi) aesthetically.
>>
Tavek - Mon, 19 Mar 2018 19:36:26 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64186 Ignore Report Reply
>>64181
>Discovery is barely recognizable as Trek and then only (semi) aesthetically.

Wait, it's good Trek...remember when they went through that whole tortured "We are Starfleet," moment to all of a sudden make not-Trek look like Trek, by explicit statement because, you know, fuck subtlety!
>>
Jaro Essa - Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:11:16 EST ID:ZR416Pa+ No.64187 Ignore Report Reply
>>64181
>People who grew up watching TNG, DS9, ENT, and VOY are much younger and in the most sought after demographic

yes that might be true- but that isn't the question- that group of people is not 500 million people. it, simply stated, isn't enough to justify the production of the kind of star trek that we are used to "seeing" that's why we have discovery- it's, by design, not appealing to niche trekkies like us.

insofar as whether or not TNG is "more recognizable" or what have you as a result of the internet culture surrounding those shows doesn't automatically mean that x millions amount of people are therefore on-board with that kind of Star Trek.

There is a qualitative difference, say, between Discovery and TNG/VOY/DS9. And it has nothing to do with the aesthetics. As far as complaints go Aesthetics, for me, is near the bottom of the list.
>>
Captain Edward Jellico - Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:38:59 EST ID:2G6oewNa No.64188 Ignore Report Reply
>>64187
Are you actually retarded or are you just pretending?
>>
Tal Celes - Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:01:02 EST ID:ZayB4rfX No.64189 Ignore Report Reply
1521507662102.jpg -(54128B / 52.86KB, 921x619) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64181
>People who grew up with TOS are in their 60s at best.
Nah. That shit rocked syndication into the 80's basically until TNG started. To quote one of Eddie Murphy's stand up specials:
>The only good thing on cable is Star Trek
That was like... '80, '82.
You gotta take into account that everything on cable was still pretty much network trash and sports until HBO started doing original movies and series'. Hell, Showtime had just built out its satellite dish network and god help you if you couldn't even get cable. Might as well just lock yourself in a room and teach yourself 8502 assembly language. That's the best entertainment you're gonna get out of your TV before the evening.
Star Trek vs Bonanza is a no-brainer, and while your dad might debate me on this, Star Trek also kicks the shit out of M*A*S*H reruns.
Shows like Cheers, Knight Rider, Magnum P.I., Remington Steele, the shows I grew up with in 90's syndication were just starting. Then you've got about a dozen police prodecurals (which hasn't changed, except more of them were about shooting everybody).
Also btw 3 of my 5 examples are private detective shows, because the cops shooting everyone genre fucking sucks.

There was some decent stuff on, but it was on prime time and that doesn't fill out the schedule. Apart from MASH, they were generally not in syndication.

So Star Trek's greatest competition in the cable space was probably soft porn. And while TOS is still on, it's another one of those shows mostly relegated to TVLand while TNG and DS9 have taken its place with more than 4 times the content and I'm not even including Voyager.
And even that stopped mattering around 2010 because nobody watches TV on cable anymore, if they even want to watch TV shows at all. The ads are oppressive and they've become so repetitive you just want to shoot yourself in the face.
>>
Jaro Essa - Mon, 19 Mar 2018 22:28:07 EST ID:ZR416Pa+ No.64190 Ignore Report Reply
>>64188
are you contributing or just shitposting?
>>
Dr. Mora Pol - Sat, 24 Mar 2018 17:00:58 EST ID:l5TvN503 No.64208 Ignore Report Reply
Tng and voy still air on bbc america regularly and they even played tos for like a week around the50th anniversary.

Idk why they don't seem to want to play ds9. I guess because it's not so episodic.
>>
spoke - Wed, 02 May 2018 06:01:18 EST ID:FjZ9V2nx No.64436 Ignore Report Reply
I just finished Enterprise expecting a really shitty finale. Why is the final episode so hated? Sure it wasn't anything spectacular but it was still a nifty little framing device and that last little bit with all the generations of the opening monologue was pretty cool.
>>
Malik - Wed, 02 May 2018 06:53:37 EST ID:RNy1ZnaR No.64437 Ignore Report Reply
>>64436
>Why is the final episode so hated?

I think it offended a lot of series diehards. As a TNG guy I wouldn't have minded if every subsequent series and movie ended similarly and am holding out hope that STD will be revealed to be an Irumodic Syndrome induced hallucination of an elderly Picard.

I can understand someone who loved the characters/setting/etc. being pissed that it was all just story Riker was checking out when he wasn't having holosex with Minuet. It's an ending that tried to please the wider Trek fanbase at the expense of the most ardent ENT fans.
>>
Penk - Wed, 02 May 2018 16:34:50 EST ID:l5TvN503 No.64443 Ignore Report Reply
>>64436
Honestly, I didn't hate it so much for the whole holodeck angle, the reason that I hated it so much is because I loved Archer and really wanted to hear the speech and the ending gave me big time blue-balls... But looking back, it's not that bad.
>>
Noah Lessing - Wed, 02 May 2018 18:22:42 EST ID:4WVh8sFm No.64444 Ignore Report Reply
>>64443
you actually LIKED Archer

shit I didn't know anybody did that
>>
Curzon Dax - Wed, 02 May 2018 20:34:09 EST ID:RNy1ZnaR No.64446 Ignore Report Reply
1525307649488.png -(475290B / 464.15KB, 800x450) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>64444
>I can't hear you over the sound of my giant, throbbing erection
>>
Hikaru Sulu - Wed, 02 May 2018 21:19:59 EST ID:5VzmgF16 No.64448 Ignore Report Reply
>>64446
HA!
Made my night!
>>
Colonel Lovok - Wed, 02 May 2018 22:44:40 EST ID:ZItpwD6s No.64449 Ignore Report Reply
>>64444
the writers never gave him any depth
the actor was better on quantum leap
>>
Lorian - Sun, 06 May 2018 05:13:03 EST ID:4WVh8sFm No.64497 Ignore Report Reply
>>64449
and fucking water polo

no one watches water fucking polo or takes the game seriously

it was a more useless character trait than Riker playing the trombone for no reason
>>
Guinan - Sun, 06 May 2018 08:32:09 EST ID:b048m/L8 No.64498 Ignore Report Reply
>>64497
The trombone thing was a plot point in Future Imperfect, water polo is just cringe window dressing
>>
Lwaxana Troi - Sun, 06 May 2018 13:26:22 EST ID:SfiMcBo4 No.64502 Ignore Report Reply
>>64497
Riker liking jazz and forcing it on others is a good part of his character
>>
Dexter Remmick - Sun, 06 May 2018 15:51:16 EST ID:6q7f8dAn No.64508 Ignore Report Reply
>>64502
stuff like that and him being a card player and a poon hound rounded him out and gave him and Picard that Kirk/Spock-style contrast.
>>
Prosecutor Orak - Sun, 06 May 2018 19:10:38 EST ID:T7+QBZOr No.64509 Ignore Report Reply
>>64502
I think the writers liking jazz and forcing it on characters was a recurring theme. Where are starfleet officers who write ambient electronica or rock music? Or does the former not exist because advanced computing caused the genre to accelerate until it burned itself out? Does the happier society mean all rock music would sound like coldplay? If that's the case I understand why the Romulans tried to kill us.
>>
Iliana Ghemor - Sun, 06 May 2018 19:45:22 EST ID:l5TvN503 No.64510 Ignore Report Reply
>>64497
Actually I played Water Polo in high school and college but I do recognize that I am the one and only person that thought it was cool that he's into water polo.
>>
John Cusack - Tue, 08 May 2018 09:04:22 EST ID:a1dhqo0x No.64523 Ignore Report Reply
>>64497

I think they wanted to make him, like, relatable, like a red blooded American sports-fan, but needed him to be an intellectual that doesn't spill beer on himself.

Like, gridiron would have made him seem like a thug
They already did baseball
He would have seemed like a wiener if he liked tennis.
Golf would've made him seem too much like a bourgie
Football would have worked but all the Americans would have gone burrhurrhurr

So I think they just went fuck it and picked water-polo.
>>
Jimmy - Tue, 08 May 2018 10:10:00 EST ID:l5TvN503 No.64524 Ignore Report Reply
>>64523
Also he looks like a guy that would play water polo. Not ripped and streamline kinda like a swimmer. It's believable.
>>
David Marcus - Wed, 26 Sep 2018 17:20:20 EST ID:naXSOvtQ No.65866 Ignore Report Reply
I like ENT, though In haven't seen the first and second seasons yet since I came in during the middle of the Xindi arc. H&I shows reruns of all the Trek series Sunday through Friday from 8pm to 1am. I catch it right after Quantum Leap on CoziTV. I try to catch TOS and TNG if there isn't anything on that I like. Haven't been able to catch DS9 and VOY though.
>>
Curzon Odo - Sun, 30 Sep 2018 17:41:02 EST ID:0KyxXOfA No.65879 Ignore Report Reply
>>65866
Quantum Leap is an excellent show, what are some of your favourite episodes?

I'd love to see a reboot of it set in the 80's, 90's, & 00's. They could do a show where Sam isn't allowed to warn anybody about 9/11 because Ziggy says there's 99.6% chance he's there to change something else.
>>
David Marcus - Tue, 02 Oct 2018 03:24:44 EST ID:2rlydRPI No.65889 Ignore Report Reply
>>65879
I agree. I'm glad I found it while channel surfing. Some of my favorite episodes include Freedom, The Americanization of Machiko, Jimmy, The Leap Home, Vietnam, and a few more. I haven't seen every episode yet, missed a good chunk of season 4 and 3, but the series cycled back to the first episode, so I'm gonna tune in every night like always and enjoy the ride.

I think there was a script being written for a film by Bellisario, so maybe it could be the stepping stone to a new series if it does well.
>>
Nyota Uhura - Tue, 02 Oct 2018 05:37:18 EST ID:5jRWvtxw No.65890 Ignore Report Reply
I remember one episode of ENT where they met a species with 3 genders and one of the genders was basically a slave used for procreation. Tucker taught one of the slaves the awesomeness of freedom and when it came time to part ways and the slave had to go back to being a slave, the slave killed themself.
That shit turned really dark really fast. Hit me right in the feels-generator-coil harder than any other Star Trek episode
>>
Raven Overcoming Orchid !Tz0ULG.7to - Tue, 02 Oct 2018 18:14:58 EST ID:pRn2Hy3L No.65894 Ignore Report Reply
>>65890
What really bothered me about that episode is the moral for that story is basically 'don't let oppressed people know how shit their life is, once they realize they can't escape it they'll kill themselves'.

Season 2 was just fucking terrible except for that one episode where the Enterprise runs into the predatory repair dock. More of that, less of Ross and Monica's dad owning a slave babysitter.
>>
Legate Damar - Tue, 02 Oct 2018 18:51:54 EST ID:HeFO2p/X No.65895 Ignore Report Reply
>>65894
>>What really bothered me about that episode is the moral for that story is basically 'don't let oppressed people know how shit their life is, once they realize they can't escape it they'll kill themselves'.
Honestly this is what makes it brilliant (and I'm hardly an ENT apologist.) The great thing about morals in Star Trek, rather than most other shows which feature specific moralizing, is that Trek doesn't hold your hand. It doesn't tell you what to believe, it shows you a real, serious problem (with a gossamer thin veil of fictionality) puts all sides of the position in the mouths of characters you care about and can take seriously, and while usually the Captain has to come down on one side or the other, consequences are shown for all the alternatives, which lets you forever ponder and brood over the meaning of the episode like an unsolvable puzzle. It's TV for adults living in a complex world with no easy 'right' answers, unlike pretty much everything actually on TV right now (including current Trek.)
>>
Leck - Wed, 03 Oct 2018 14:01:09 EST ID:e5feiTTX No.65911 Ignore Report Reply
>>65879

Or have Sam fly one of the planes.

Oh boy.

He already lept into Lee Harvey Oswald so why not?
>>
Admiral Hayes - Wed, 03 Oct 2018 14:32:47 EST ID:SfiMcBo4 No.65912 Ignore Report Reply
>>65911
Sam's the reason the other one crashed instead of hitting the CIA, same as how Sam's why Jackie Kennedy didn't get killed too
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Wed, 03 Oct 2018 16:52:10 EST ID:L/B0hL6r No.65913 Report Reply
Good show
Nice captain
>>
Tekeny Ghemor - Wed, 03 Oct 2018 18:06:25 EST ID:vfKzFqQZ No.65915 Ignore Report Reply
>>65890
Never seen ENT but that's also the basic plot of Rush's 20 minute space prog opera (progra) 2112, minus the uh procreation parts.
>>
Simon Tarses - Wed, 03 Oct 2018 20:05:34 EST ID:Y8Ov7Xzc No.65916 Ignore Report Reply
1538611534205.png -(549767B / 536.88KB, 692x577) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>we will never get a real trek again
>>
Simon Tarses - Wed, 03 Oct 2018 23:35:31 EST ID:qKmusx3c No.65919 Ignore Report Reply
1538624131751.png -(8943B / 8.73KB, 200x200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>65916
Yeah, but what a ride.
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Wed, 03 Oct 2018 23:49:15 EST ID:7hZAtms2 No.65920 Report Reply
>>65919
Truuuuuu
>>
Legate Hovat - Thu, 04 Oct 2018 19:59:06 EST ID:HeFO2p/X No.65928 Ignore Report Reply
1538697546677.jpg -(276535B / 270.05KB, 1018x768) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>65919
I think, since most of us here grew up during Trek's high water mark in the 80's-90's, we kind of assumed there would always be more and better Trek; that the slips ups were an anomaly, not a pattern. But in retrospect, we had a greater run than most other franchises could ever dream of, even those we are directly compared to (Wars has [generously] 4 movies and a handful of show seasons that are actually good, true to form content. We have at least that many movies and 3 series that are pretty much universally acclaimed and within the pure tone of the setting.)

But you know, "All Good Things..."
>>
DaiMon Birta - Thu, 04 Oct 2018 21:48:18 EST ID:x5PHd72O No.65931 Ignore Report Reply
>>65928
There were 20 years of Gunsmoke. I was trying to imagine a reality where TNG ran until 2007.
>>
Naomi Wildman - Thu, 04 Oct 2018 22:34:17 EST ID:b2kjICL7 No.65932 Ignore Report Reply
To make a present with a bow tie takes some ingenuity.
>>
Jannar - Fri, 05 Oct 2018 00:08:24 EST ID:e5feiTTX No.65934 Ignore Report Reply
>>65931

Guiding light had 18,262 episodes. Try to imagine a reality where TNG literally runs into the 24th century.
>>
Albert Macklin - Fri, 05 Oct 2018 16:14:47 EST ID:HeFO2p/X No.65941 Ignore Report Reply
>>65931
>>65934
>>Comparing a TV show that cost $1 million an episode to soaps and westerns
Ok I was talking about reality here folks. in REALITY, we had a good run, better than any other sci-fi franchise except Dr.Who (which has Her Majesty's Government backing it up.)
>>
Marla Gilmore - Sat, 06 Oct 2018 09:42:05 EST ID:2w1tmj0s No.65948 Ignore Report Reply
>>65934
having a hard time imagining a reality where humanity runs into the 24th century right now tbh
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Sat, 06 Oct 2018 13:37:07 EST ID:7hZAtms2 No.65950 Report Reply
>>65948
It will be descendants of humanity.
>>
Ulani Belor - Sat, 06 Oct 2018 19:20:01 EST ID:BvHsNZgz No.65951 Ignore Report Reply
1538868001803.jpg -(11232B / 10.97KB, 480x360) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>65950
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Sun, 07 Oct 2018 13:38:44 EST ID:7hZAtms2 No.65952 Report Reply
>>65951
Is that Dr. Zaius? lol
Technically he'd classify as a conqueror of humanity, but also an ancestor of Humanity in a way.
>>
General Krim - Sun, 07 Oct 2018 18:47:42 EST ID:1hg5rTm6 No.65953 Ignore Report Reply
>>65952
Therm, do you hate every ape you see from chimpan-a to chimpanzee?
>>
Therm0ptic !cyBOrG7t12 - Mon, 08 Oct 2018 01:47:51 EST ID:7hZAtms2 No.65956 Report Reply
>>65953
Only the ones in the Apey Seas.
>>
Dr. T'Pan - Tue, 09 Oct 2018 15:36:56 EST ID:yXwL2Sl1 No.65970 Ignore Report Reply
1539113816733.jpg -(13776B / 13.45KB, 798x420) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>65951
>mfw Planet of the Apes is more emotional and thought provoking than Star Trek and more fun and technically impressive than Star Wars this century.
>>
Timothy Lang - Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:01:04 EST ID:Xvnx/c3y No.65980 Ignore Report Reply
1539295264048.jpg -(22730B / 22.20KB, 220x330) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>65970
Well, 3 of 'em.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.