Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Question Ignore Report Reply
Admiral Cartwright - Sun, 23 Sep 2018 14:48:52 EST ID:XBObt4Oi No.65832
File: 1537728532074.jpg -(35180B / 34.36KB, 655x527) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 35180
If they wanted to make a new star trek show that is more focused on action and explosions, why didn`t make one set during the dominion war?

DS9 barely covered the events of the war, they mainly only referenced what happened, so there's plenty of room to develop something around that.

Imagine seeing re-imaginations of those battles using modern VFX and a truly canon story
>>
Minuet - Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:43:42 EST ID:bsMTOC3z No.65833 Ignore Report Reply
1537739022648.jpg -(735641B / 718.40KB, 1403x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>65832
No thanks
>>
Lwaxana Troi - Sun, 23 Sep 2018 19:27:13 EST ID:QGaFhdtZ No.65835 Ignore Report Reply
I've always wondered how a "renegades" Star Trek would work. Like the main crew wouldn't be starfleet but like a group of pirates or something. Maybe not even that, but like the main crew would be framed for a crime they didn't commit and now they're on the run from Starfleet while they try to chase down the true culprits. It could be grittier but still have the same optimism for the future that the other series is known for so it doesn't fall into grimderp.

Though it kinda sounds like something that has already been done, but not with Star Trek specifically, but it kinda sounds like Enterprise and I never watched that.
>>
Mot - Sun, 23 Sep 2018 21:40:39 EST ID:vfKzFqQZ No.65838 Ignore Report Reply
They should do a series that's told from the perspective of non-humans. Cardassia has been explored, but not a Cardassia after the Dominion war.

I'm not sure if anyone wants to go back to that time period in Trek though, even though it would be pretty logical. The post-Dominion War era allows producers to get away with the dumb ass Minority Report style holographic touch screens they want to include in TOS-era Trek for some reason. DS9 even had holographic control systems in an episode set in the future! There's all kinds of shit to do in that universe.
>>
Vice Admiral Nakamura - Tue, 25 Sep 2018 00:01:03 EST ID:PKki+GTG No.65847 Ignore Report Reply
>>65832
Post-Nemsis Trek is really fucking OP compared to the rest of the Trek timeline. While I think it would be cool to see a directly post-Nemesis Trek and how everything shakes down and shapes up I think I feel like it would be more DS9 like and politic driven than a more traditional Trek show.

I also feel that going backwards is a bad idea. It would be interesting to see what happened between STE and TOS and there is a lot of ground to cover there but I don't think its viable though certainly more so than Discovery since it takes place further away from established timelines.

Going too far ahead is problematic as well IMO. So many time travel shows have been very disappointing and I don't feel like jumping that far forward and taking place on a temporal ship would be great.

I think it would be interesting to see a "normal" non-elite crew getting a new captain and a new ship to go off exploring but The Orville is already doing this pretty much.

You could do something with Starfleet and not on a ship starting with year one until graduation but I don't think it would be that good personally at least not for adults unless you did it similar to Space: Above and Beyond

An anthology series or completely episodic show could be good depending on the execution. Maybe even an adult animated series for the latter.

So having said all of that I kind of feel like the past is out, the present is out, and the far future is out. The Milkyway galaxy is pretty much done at this point. There are stories to tell but are there better stories elsewhere? Its always been about confronting the unknown, seeking out new life, etc. so here is what I would like to see and there are a few ways to do it.

Basic premise: The federation has dipped its toe into the Andromeda galaxy(or maybe Draco Dwarf because of its abundance of dark matter) with a few small outposts/colonies. This basically allows us to start fresh with the classic Trek format. New allies, new challenges, new enemies, tons of new possibilities.

So from here you could have any of the following as a setup:

an exploration vessel

a station or base where Starfleet operates from

the colonies go dark so a vessel is sent to investigate

There are a couple more ways you could go with it as well but I think it would be a good way in general just because its gives plenty of room to do whatever. You could have the classic exploratory episodes, you could have the classic conflict/allies, etc all without being tied down to canon so much like you would directly post-nemesis or in between any of the shows.
>>
Mordoc - Tue, 25 Sep 2018 02:13:17 EST ID:ZR416Pa+ No.65848 Ignore Report Reply
>>65832
Okay let me break it down for you guys.

Captain, it is a large M-type Binary Star System. One star is named TOS (the bigger star) and the other is called TNG (the smaller star)

The TOS star as the following planets surrounding it, Enterprise, the star trek reboot series, and 6 movies that go between so-so/meh to great, and Star Trek Discovery.

The TNG star has DS9, and Voyager, and 4 depressing movies.

For marketing purposes, people are always going for the bigger star, for story purposes they need to go for the smaller star.

You guys need to understand that literally no one from those TNG, DS9, Voyager days is around anymore. And I'm talking writers, producers etc. They are all either dead or have moved on with their careers.

Star Trek is in the hands of people who do NOT care about the continuation post Nemesis.

As much as we'd like that, it's never going to happen in anyway that isn't trash or horrible nostalgia baiting (read: the picard series0
>>
Sarek - Tue, 25 Sep 2018 06:15:48 EST ID:HeFO2p/X No.65850 Ignore Report Reply
>>65848
>>The TOS star as the following planets surrounding it, Enterprise,
Enterprise was written by the TNG era staff. It actually features the only post-nemesis content (continuity wise) so bringing it up doesn't help your argument.

>>no one from those TNG, DS9, Voyager days is around anymore
well, no one from
>>TOS, Enterprise, the star trek reboot series, and 6 movies that go between so-so/meh to great,
is involved with Discovery either (except Kurtzman.) Fuller (from the TNG era) actually came up with the original pitch for Discovery, but was let go...

You're basically just saying, 'the execs pay more attention to TOS, so TOS is what more attention is going to be paid to' well, duh. But the execs don't give a shit about what Trek is one way or the other, they want money. If the fans don't like what they put out enough, they change direction (which is what literally everything about the Picard series is.)

The problem isn't 'how many planets are orbiting the star' (in terms of actual hours of content, the vast majority of Trek is orbiting 'TNG' ) That's like saying because Episode IV of Star Wars is chronologically in the middle of the saga, all the other films must orbit it and so all of Star Wars must perpetually be about what happened in that film.

Gene Roddenberry was fucked up in a lot of ways but he was a genius in a few key points. He gave us the template for how to iterate on Trek. He knew how hopelessly futile it was for a show about the future to become myopically obsessed with one period in time, one set of characters, one crew. The more the franchise holders of Trek drift from that model, the worse the franchise will become. Eventually, it will become so bad there won't be enough money to continue it. Either the executives will ignore that fact until it's too late, or they will change course in time, but pretending like the desires of the fans are literally meaningless is just wrong. You don't just have to take whatever shit they give you and like it.

Anyway, I can't take your Trek opinions that seriously when you think "M-type" is the designation of a class of star.
>>
Dr. Lewis Zimmerman - Tue, 25 Sep 2018 09:47:51 EST ID:SfiMcBo4 No.65851 Ignore Report Reply
>>65850
And even IF these two hypothetical stars could have breathable air how would their binary nature not rip all these hypothetical planets apart from the gravitational fields every time their orbits got between the stars!?

I really hope somebody got fired for this metaphor.
jk I love you Mordoc RNG nohomo
>>
T'Pau - Wed, 26 Sep 2018 03:28:44 EST ID:ZR416Pa+ No.65861 Ignore Report Reply
>>65850
>Anyway, I can't take your Trek opinions that seriously when you think "M-type" is the designation of a class of star.

HAH hahaha well done. I hope that was sarcasm because THAT'S AN EXCELLENT JOKE IF SO!

My point is that TOS is the most marketable because most people in the common sense think of TOS.... Tribbles, Klingons, Enterprise, Beam Me Up Scotty, and so on. That's what people are going to cling too. That's what Execs are going to Do as a result.

>>65851

I'm a firm believer that those that cannot breath hydrogen and exhale helium are abjectly inferior.
>>
Worf - Wed, 26 Sep 2018 03:38:37 EST ID:HeFO2p/X No.65862 Ignore Report Reply
>>65861
>>HAH hahaha well done. I hope that was sarcasm because THAT'S AN EXCELLENT JOKE IF SO!
I think the joke might be on you then, M-class is not the designation of a class of star. Stay in Starfleet Academy, kids.
>>
Katogh - Wed, 26 Sep 2018 04:13:12 EST ID:bsMTOC3z No.65863 Ignore Report Reply
>>65862
I mean, it is, just maybe not in Trek

https://theoccasionalinformationist.com/2017/03/22/unveiling-of-nature-or-social-creativity-classification-and-discovery-in-astronomy/stellar-classification/
>>
Worf - Wed, 26 Sep 2018 13:54:11 EST ID:HeFO2p/X No.65865 Ignore Report Reply
>>65863
That would be M-type, not M-class. There is only one type of thing in trek that is referred to as 'M-class ', and it's not a star.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.