Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated April 10)

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Argo Ignore Report Reply
Kozak - Sun, 28 Oct 2018 03:59:05 EST ID:N4dsKmmr No.66138
File: 1540713545420.jpg -(74011B / 72.28KB, 1000x600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. 74011
I know the Argo doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I thought it was the best part of that... that glorified edgy darkfic.
Anyway, Here is my musical tribute to the only fun in Star Trek: No Fun Allowed.
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5bd443715fc8d-presidents-of-the-united-federation-of-planets-dun.php
>>
Latha Mabrin - Mon, 29 Oct 2018 01:42:32 EST ID:HeFO2p/X No.66147 Ignore Report Reply
1540791752887.jpg -(68531B / 66.92KB, 600x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
It really is the only redeeming factor in that glistening turd. And really just because of how absurd it is, if it was in first contact it would be remembered as the worst part.

You guys know argos are real things, right? They're a lot of fun to ride and clutch in some terrain types
>>
Seven of Nine - Mon, 29 Oct 2018 02:15:54 EST ID:V7km0UnK No.66148 Ignore Report Reply
The Argo made me wonder something. What is it about being warp capable that seems to have made everyone abandon Mechanized infantry? Fedaration could have kicked the Dominians ass if they could just run over Jem'Hadar in a 24th century T-90 or Challenger.
>>
Latha Mabrin - Mon, 29 Oct 2018 07:34:53 EST ID:HeFO2p/X No.66151 Ignore Report Reply
>>66148
>> What is it about being warp capable that seems to have made everyone abandon Mechanized infantry?
Starships. If they're capable of leveling a civilization from orbit as is boasted about many times, what kind of mechanized infantry could survive?
What kind? I guess they would have to be effectively starships themselves with warp cores in order to have the energy output to shield themselves against starship weapons, and having a warp core breach in one of your cities is a lot more devastating than out in space. Still you'd think one of the races would be silly enough to try it.
>>
Seven of Nine - Mon, 29 Oct 2018 12:44:36 EST ID:V7km0UnK No.66153 Ignore Report Reply
>>66151
>Starships. If they're capable of leveling a civilization from orbit as is boasted about many times

Its been shown that's grossly exaggerated. The fucking entire Dominion Fleet in the Alpha Quadrant couldn't level Cardassia Prime. We also see LOTS of Warp reactors in cities, and they dont really seem hugely dangerous, even when they go up.

Almost ALL fighting in Star Trek is close range skirmishing, without any starship support, you're saying a IFV wouldn't be useful?
>>
Latha Mabrin - Mon, 29 Oct 2018 18:11:16 EST ID:HeFO2p/X No.66159 Ignore Report Reply
>>66153
>>The fucking entire Dominion Fleet in the Alpha Quadrant couldn't level Cardassia Prime.
They killed 800 million people in that attack, and that was against the defenses of a homeworld they themselves helped fortify. That's not nothing, and who knows how many of them were killed by warp cores breached by bombardment?
>>you're saying a IFV wouldn't be useful?
Well if you're talking at that scale for personnel transport we know the federation has those, though we never see them. "Jumpers" as some sort of flying armored personnel transport are mentioned heavily in DS9 "Nor the Battle to the Strong."

But as for armored cavalry (tanks) even in our time thanks to the efficacy of smart bombs and drones they are losing effectiveness. And I mean, how different is a runabout flying at a low altitude from a tank? Not saying the federation might not have some sort of tank model, but its easy to see why ground warfare in general would take a backseat to starship combat.
>>
Guinan - Tue, 30 Oct 2018 20:04:05 EST ID:jmSOtBOw No.66173 Ignore Report Reply
>>66159
We're probably also talking logistics. A specialized ground vehicle would need to be built and transported, and crew trained in its use. People have industrial replicators, but they probably can't replicate everything needed for an effective combat vehicle. Also, transport(er) technology in Trek is so advanced that most fights still take place between troops inserted within walking distance of each other. And a core breach on a tank equivalent, which would probably be equivalent to a shuttle or runabout, would pose a major risk to the squads supporting it. I think it's very possible they're just too juicy of a target and too niche in their role. Specialized ground combat vehicles are probably just the heavy tanks of interstellar society at Trek's technology level.

And if Starfleet really, really needs something like it for something that can't be done by shuttles or runabouts, they could just use those replicators anyway and produce a "good enough" variant on site. The gap between the industrial cost to manufacture and transport them does not weigh up to their usefulness, especially because any low-end usefulness is eaten up by something that could be replicated.

In my head canon the Argo was a hastily replicated vehicle designed by asking the holodeck to produce a low profile offroad vehicle and taking the first thing it came up with. The shuttle is just an adapted heavy shuttle. Once they got back, they hit "reclaim" on the industrial replicator, turned the shuttle back to its original configuration, and some engineer in the corner shook his head at the silly thing.
>>
Seven of Nine - Tue, 30 Oct 2018 23:25:45 EST ID:nznEl8Nb No.66175 Ignore Report Reply
>>66173
This makes sense.
>>
Michael Sullivan - Wed, 31 Oct 2018 02:12:22 EST ID:N4dsKmmr No.66176 Ignore Report Reply
Trek is just skewed towards capital ship combat, the same way Star Wars is towards fighters, and Battletech is towards mechs, and Warhammer 40K and Starship Troopers are towards infantry, and Bolo is towards tanks.
Hell, Dune was skewed towards knife fights by the Holtzmann shield.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.