Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

420chan is Getting Overhauled - Changelog/Bug Report/Request Thread (Updated July 26)

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

Star Trek: State of the Franchise Address

- Fri, 03 May 2019 02:53:08 EST D65nZOLV No.67374
File: 1556866388761.png -(735789B / 718.54KB, 1007x1024) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. Star Trek: State of the Franchise Address
For many of us here, Star Trek has been a defining part of who we are. And I think that's why it's been so hard lately, because it feels like over the past few years, since the end of TNG and DS9, it has drifted from its pinnacle of glory to something withered and sapped of its original spirit. Since the end of Enterprise especially, something seems to have fundamentally changed. And that is because it has.

You see, the company that owned Star Trek decided to split into two companies because the old man who ran it was old and thought it was a great idea for some reason. In this sudden corporate mitosis, Star Trek ended up in the possession of a company which once spurned it in favor of Lost in Space, CBS.. and CBS had no interest in making new Star Trek, but indeed enjoyed the fruits of its merchandising sales. But there remained executives at Paramount who saw the value of Star Trek even if they understood none of its philosophical values or substance, and though they could not truly comprehend what Star Trek was and what it meant, they yearned once more to profit from it. And so a deal was made, a deal which would hammer nail after nail into the coffin of our beloved franchise. It was a devil's bargain, for as it stands today, it seems to have irreversibly damaged the future of star trek, and in turn perhaps the future of us all. After all, Star Trek inspired us to go to the moon, it gave birth to the cell phone and the personal computer, it dreamed of the tablet and the laptop long before they could be reality. But most importantly of all, Star Trek gave us a vision that was not technical at all, a better future for everyone, and though it's a future that comes at great cost and only at the end of terrible wars. Star Trek carried the promise of hope, that whatever we cannot overcome with the power of technology and innovation, we can solve with the better angels of our nature. And it showed us that even in the dark unknown, even the most alien being, the Other, is ultimately much like us. There's a unifying and overwhelmingly inspiring power to the underlying promise of Star Trek, or perhaps it may be more prudent to say that there was.

Things have fundamentally changed because in this new agreement between Paramount and CBS, once one and the same, is built around the protection of merchandising rights for CBS on all the media that WE would actually consider Star Trek. CBS so greedily protects its revenue from the sales of DVDs, tribble slippers, shitty low grade action figures, shat hats, etc. that it went out of its way to destroy the production of the fan film known as Axanar. For those of you unfamiliar with this, I suggest you familiarize yourself. Suffice it to say, this fan film had used the kickstarter model and built up an impressive sum of money from trekkies like you and I, had netted a bunch of actual trek actors, and looked to be perhaps actually what we could call Trek. So CBS feared it. And CBS destroyed it. And in the process they imposed absurdly draconian rules on anyone who wanted to make a trek fan film and not get the shit sued out of them.

The end result of this mixture of paranoia and avarice on the part of CBS painted its attitude toward the deal which they struck with Paramount to make nuTrek 1, nuTrek:in darkness, and nuTrek Beyond, and all other properties, Discovery, and all the shitty cartoons they are about to unleash upon us. All these new shows are built on this contract, and the contract states that any new star trek cannot be too much like the old star trek. Or else.

Let me type that again just so it sinks in. They are contractually obligated to be sufficiently different from Star Trek.

And I am talking everything from uniform design to the way the ships look. I'm also talking about thematics, character development and the way stories are told. If they stray and make something TOO much like Star Trek that has already been made prior to the corporate mitosis event, then they risk being challenged in court under the terms of their contract for all their fucking DVD sales.

I want you all to be viscerally aware of this as the news of this new Picard show trickles out. I wouldn't be surprised if once again our tiny imageboard became inundated with astroturfed shills as it did in the weeks following the release of Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness. It didn't really seem like they gave a shit for us for STD but part of me just wonders if all the showrunners they fired actually posted here on /1701/ since it seemed half the shit that was planned and rejected was stuff we all fanwanked to here. Maybe they knew we were a lost cause. Maybe, just maybe, we are more important than we think. And when it comes to the Picard show, we are exactly the audience they seem to be pursuing...

I'd like to hope that Picard's show, someone said it will be called 'Destiny', can be good, can hearken back to the kind of TV that Star Trek was at its best, but I hesitate to get my hopes up because of the harsh reality of what I've laid out above and its ultimate ramifications. I'd like to see it be good enough to at least give us a fitting final requiem for an era of TV and fiction we were lucky to have lived to witness. Maybe it can be good enough to pump the breathe of life back into the franchise, but that seems by now to be so faint and diminishing of a hope that if it were to come to pass I might think I'd someone ended up back in the Nexus. One thing is for sure, if they don't have an Orchestral version of the Inner Light flute song as the intro for this show, it is guaranteed to fail.
>>
Chairman Koval - Fri, 03 May 2019 14:24:38 EST 3bM7qK3M No.67380 Reply
1556907878747.jpg -(81213B / 79.31KB, 780x438) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>67374

Star Trek is dead. Not the franchise itself, they will continue to make money off of it as long as they can, that is for sure, but Trek as we know and love is dead. And for good reasons imo. There was a lot of shit covered from TOS till Enterprise and at some point the past stuff weighs down new possibilities. So much was already covered, you got the established cannon and so on, at some point you gotta let it rest in peace and find new pastures. And I still watch Trek pretty much daily before going to sleep just as I come to this sub pretty much daily for the community but I let Trek go in terms of expecting new stuff that matches up to the past. And I understand that people want the thing that made them so happy to continue, same with video games and movies and books and all that, at some points its over. The sooner you realize the point has come and let go, the better it is for you. There is so much good scifi out there, it just isn't called Star Trek anymore.

RIP Star Trek, it was a hell of a ride.
>>
Species 8472 - Fri, 03 May 2019 15:09:22 EST TcSMTlpl No.67382 Reply
>>67374
Pre-reboot CBS basically liquidated all of their Trek assets other than the lucrative syndication rights and infinite DVD releases. Almost every official fan magazine and club was cut off from contact or, where possible, shut down entirely. As far as CBS is concerned original Trek was dead until the massive nostalgiawave the west has been going through hit combined with the BBT influence of everyone wanting to bandwagon being a 'geek' never a nerd, geek is the cool one from what I can tell meant the name could sell again even if the substance was fundamentally different.

They realised they could take generic action movies or so-called 'TV Golden Age' arcing soap operas and slap on the trek branding and normalfags would eat it up because it gave them the chance to partake in generic guilty pleasure entertainment but use social media to brag about being a 'geek' like sheldon on that funny tv show.

This is why what was once a fundamentally optimistic franchise is now infested with cynicsm because the current trend is 'gritty' entertainment. Not realistic entertainment but overly dark stuff where everyone dies and characters get to make minutes long monologues to the screen because the writers can't handle show over tell. ENT and VOY had their flaws but at least they were honest attempts rather than committeed to death trend chasing. The Orville has plenty of issues too but it's the same: the fundamental goal behind the series is something more than just being the newest thing that'll be forgotten in ~10 years time. Even were STD not to exist I'd count it as a Trek series because of that S1 more than S2.
>>
Belongo - Fri, 03 May 2019 21:50:07 EST HeFO2p/X No.67390 Reply
1556934607467.png -(752682B / 735.04KB, 867x631) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>67374
All of that is absolutely true, and I think nothing but pain waits for trek fans in the near future, which will hopefully be followed by some sort of merciful death. "All Good Things..."

But, in the big picture, especially for some of the reasons you mentioned, I think the true 'story' of Trek has been ingrained in the minds of enough of the population that it will inevitably join the pantheon of the stories that humanity keeps retelling again and again. Trek is dead, long live Trek.
>>
Dr. T'Pan - Fri, 03 May 2019 21:59:08 EST bOlOhkyn No.67391 Reply
Trek's been dead before.
>>
Torg - Sat, 04 May 2019 02:09:22 EST mqpnEix9 No.67393 Reply
>>67391

But he got brought back in Spock III: The Search for Star Trek
>>
Vice Admiral Leyton - Sat, 04 May 2019 12:11:20 EST qDcgc+HB No.67407 Reply
>>67390
>But, in the big picture, especially for some of the reasons you mentioned, I think the true 'story' of Trek has been ingrained in the minds of enough of the population that it will inevitably join the pantheon of the stories that humanity keeps retelling again and again. Trek is dead, long live Trek.
I'm hoping we get more shows like ORV which are directly inspired by Trek even if they don't share the name and specific characters. In the world of literature good SF has inspired other authors to tackle similar stories each making up their own world so there's no reason we can't have that on TV.
>>
DaiMon Bok - Sun, 05 May 2019 09:47:00 EST byRgzBbN No.67417 Reply
Why I am accursed to find out about cool shit only as the wave is dying? I finished Lost right when no one remembered it was a show anymore. I finished Breaking Bad right when Better Call Saul came out so no one cared. I hit 60 in Vanilla WoW right when BC came out. I finished TNG right when STD came out. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
Rekelen - Mon, 06 May 2019 15:38:42 EST 60zgf9Xq No.67438 Reply
>>67417
Did you ever wonder if maybe it was you that killed them?
>>
Lt. George Primmin - Thu, 16 May 2019 12:50:07 EST qK+lGh3r No.67542 Reply
Seems the Picard series will follow the distribution model of STD, CBS access for us poor NA plebs, with an international release with amazon prime now that netflix started expecting results instead of floundering. I'm sure people have signed on for that service, I personally have yet to see a single episode of the nuTreks.
>>
Turanj - Fri, 17 May 2019 01:40:52 EST 5SVJcPG+ No.67546 Reply
>>67542
I've actually been seeing a number of new shows popping up on my trackers as coming from CBS All-Access. STD is now only one of many shows that they are currently airing and there is certainly more to come. To me that seems it is doing a lot better than expected especially from early predictions.

With them having a picard series and a pike series confirmed and floating the idea of other STD series I doubt STD will end soon as many of us hoped.

I hope they end it next season but make way for much more true to form Trek shows with the Pike and Picard shows plus whatever else. I'd say at least an animated show as they have been floating that harder than any other potential show that hasn't been confirmed. .

I can UL them for you if you want as well. it is widely available all over the place if you are talking STD or the new movies though. Public and Private trackers, DDL sites, usenet, IRC, DC hubs, etc. Pretty much everywhere.
>>
Natima Lang - Fri, 17 May 2019 15:22:40 EST gOUFeB9G No.67555 Reply
>>67546
if it was doing good they wouldn't need to license out their exclusive shows.
>>
Darien Wallace - Sat, 18 May 2019 00:51:06 EST 5SVJcPG+ No.67557 Reply
>>67555
Tons of shows have been licensed out from pretty much everywhere. Its a very common practice. nb
>>
Guinan - Sat, 18 May 2019 00:54:29 EST b048m/L8 No.67559 Reply
>>67557
Yeah but you dont do it when you're trying to draw people to your new streaming service unless you aren't making enough consistent money in that regard. At least not unless you're a full fledged pakled.
>>
Lt. Joseph Carey - Sun, 19 May 2019 02:37:36 EST 5SVJcPG+ No.67565 Reply
>>67559
Yeah, its dumb to take your US exclusive streaming service shows and license them out to other countries for extra cash.
>>
Guinan - Sun, 19 May 2019 04:04:24 EST b048m/L8 No.67567 Reply
>>67565
Didn't realize it was US-exclusive. I know there's issues with regional rights but if you are CBS and you like money and also own the rights to your shit why would you do that? They could be making even more money (but that's only assuming their streaming service is actually successful since we have no real metrics). I don't really think it's as common as you imply either.
>>
Montgomery Scott - Sun, 19 May 2019 06:59:44 EST V7km0UnK No.67570 Reply
>>67542
Far as I know, all this new Star Trek airs over the air in Canada.
>>
Jennifer Sisko - Sat, 25 May 2019 19:20:20 EST gOUFeB9G No.67653 Reply
>>67570
you guys still run with antenna? How's living at 440p?
>>
Keiko O'Brien - Thu, 13 Jun 2019 07:56:32 EST 8Tu6WKEq No.67797 Reply
>>67653
Dial up here. 440p is dope. I usually don't have time for it though.
>>
Admiral Owen Paris - Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:57:16 EST RDQqLSgJ No.67800 Reply
>>67653
hd is broadcast around cities in canada, you'll get three or four channels, local shit
>>
Prophet - Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:55:55 EST 8Tu6WKEq No.67801 Reply
This is kind of shallow, but I wish the choreography in Trek was better. Like when they're fighting, or when they're just shaking around (the ship is being shot, etc.). Same with Star Wars IV, V, and VI. Someone redid the fight between Vader and Obi-Wan in IV. It was pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k
>>
I.G. Keval - Sun, 16 Jun 2019 13:49:36 EST bOlOhkyn No.67814 Reply
>>67801
I like the theory of that, but in practice it blows the "shit just got real" aspect of Empire's fight when Vader starts tossing things around.
>>
Subaltern Lorot - Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:26:55 EST LxgWfzNu No.67815 Reply
>>67814
Yeah the fights in the original 3 were more symbolic and about the characters than exercises in technical choroegraphy. The first part of the fight was really good but that's a bit of a "jumping the shark" moment where it turns into SFX ballet and it just drags. If Vader had hurled the barrels than then just crushed him a few seconds later that'd be badass it'd show that he was just toying with Kenobi and underline what the scene depicts. Which is Kenobi is outclassed and weak and Vader is still strong... but then it keeps going and going. And it doesn't add anything, it's just sci fi ballet filler. This happens a lot on the bad star wars too. That fight scene in episode 1 that's 3 years long.

I think I was told about tension ideally following a curve that goes up until near the end, peaks then falls away. With each scene following this and the overall curve of a film or book or game also following it. Having a huge plateau actually makes it worse.

It's not the length it's just the large padding that does nothing. The choreography is good but they could have cut half that scene out and it'd be better.
>>
Mordoc - Tue, 18 Jun 2019 09:23:48 EST yVrf+Mmr No.67820 Reply
>>67819
That didn't happen until return and even then it wasn't really a move, he just checked his saber. Then video games made it a force move and eventually decided Jedi don't even need to use hands but they are all too stupid to figure it out.
>>
Kalita - Tue, 18 Jun 2019 10:21:53 EST byRgzBbN No.67823 Reply
>>67820

i know that nigga, i used to teach dueling classes on jk2. im just saying it was well executed in the clip, good creativity. not that its accurate to canon nerd
>>
Guinan - Sat, 22 Jun 2019 14:41:06 EST b048m/L8 No.67836 Reply
>>67823
Did you ever run across the SNOOCHER squad? A bunch of reptiles wearing the Bossk skin that would come en masse to a FFA server and team up against whoever else was there?
That was my little JK2 multiplayer gang. We would take over the servers so we could have saber duels and also so that we could do what we called "snoocher stacking" where we would all jump onto each others heads in a mighty column so the guy on the top could reach normally unreachable areas on the map and then force grip or pull the rest of us up there. And then we'd fuck around duel up there until some poor sap came on the server and then we'd snipe him from some unfathomable height

The best was when we'd try to take over modded servers and the admin would get on and crush us all to death by turning up the gravity so high that any jump or fall kills you instantaneously

We were complete assholes and it was the most fun I ever had in a videogame
>>
DaiMon Birta - Sun, 23 Jun 2019 06:47:57 EST 7bTPF/FW No.67845 Reply
>>67823
Did you just say you teach dueling classes in a video game and then you called me the nerd?
>>
Ambassador Soval - Sun, 23 Jun 2019 19:18:03 EST byRgzBbN No.67850 Reply
>>67836

towers were really simple. you guys sound like noobs. didnt even have a custom clan skin? the real niggas all looked like kyle katarn because you didnt have their skin installed. u know on most servers you could jump on a guy, /amsit on his head, then if he moved you would stay in place, and you could make towers to the top of the map this way. my favorite was to have a friend stand on the statue in bespin streets, lock on with the missle launcher then have him do an emote as it was approaching. the missile would just orbit him in a circle. you could do this indefinitely until he had like 50 missiles orbiting him lol
>>
Guinan - Sun, 23 Jun 2019 23:12:28 EST b048m/L8 No.67855 Reply
>>67850
That's fucking hilarious, I dont really remember seeing that particular glitch. Nar Shadda ctf was the shit for secret areas you could only get with towers.. that was always my favorite. I messed around with custom skins a little but the fact that Bossks taunt was him yelling
WHO TALLY NONE SAY in a gravelly lizard voice and everyone could hear us spamming the shit out of it.. well there's just something special about that
>>
Admiral T'Lara - Tue, 02 Jul 2019 14:04:39 EST byRgzBbN No.67900 Reply
>>67885

that doesnt look like jk2. thats a lot of mods, or jk3, or something else
>>
Guinan - Tue, 02 Jul 2019 19:48:48 EST KDTqIczJ No.67901 Reply
>>67900
>JK3
God I wish. When Disney bought Star Wars they crushed that game under their heel just because they could. Allegedly it was almost done too.. it's a damn shame.

No you're right its some shitty mod, but it was the best picture or trandoshan I could find.. because its some trandoshan improvement mod or whatever. Your astute eye tells me you did indeed have quite a bit of experience with said game
>>
Yeggie - Tue, 02 Jul 2019 23:08:26 EST byRgzBbN No.67903 Reply
>>67901

ummm what the fuck, are you trolling me? Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy is definitely a real game, where in the single player campaign you play as Kyle Katarn's padawan. i hated the game because it was a lot more casual-friendly and all of the good clans migrated from jk2, including mine.
>>
Guinan - Wed, 03 Jul 2019 02:17:09 EST KDTqIczJ No.67904 Reply
>>67903
It was actually titled Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy but it was still technically part of Jedi Knight 2. Kinda like how the first Jedi Knight had Mysteries of the Sith. Same thing.
>>
Sarpek the Fearless - Sat, 06 Jul 2019 01:19:22 EST byRgzBbN No.67921 Reply
>>67904

thats dumb and irrelevant. the entire community treated it as a new game. everyone called it jk3. jk2files.com changed to jk3files.com
>>
Phlox - Sat, 06 Jul 2019 04:41:58 EST 60zgf9Xq No.67922 Reply
>>67921
it never was called jk3 though so he is right and you are wrong my man

just the way things are
>>
Guinan - Sun, 07 Jul 2019 04:17:21 EST b048m/L8 No.67925 Reply
>>67921
Hey man, I agree, the multiplayer maps for Jedi Academy were complete shit
It killed the multiplayer completely

Buuut, gotta say it had an even better single player campaign than regular Jedi Outcast. I replayed them both within the last year or so.. but it's really the most fun with the "g_saberrealisticcombat 1" cheat activated. It's just a pain in the ass to activate that cheat in Jedi Academy, you have to fuck with the config files. But totally worth it. (Basically this cheat allows lightsabers to chop people up, slicing off legs and arms and feet and heads and torsos and whatnot. The whole shebang)

It's surprising that you didn't hear about the REAL JK3 given your love for JK2. For me, it was the most anticipated game of all time, and then suddenly it was gone. Fuck Disney. When Mickey Mouse becomes public domain I'm going to make the most horrifying and disgusting lovecraftian hentai with that fucker for all that they've done. Actually come to think of it maybe I'll just do that anyways.
>>
Gilora Rejal - Tue, 09 Jul 2019 12:37:43 EST bOlOhkyn No.67929 Reply
I'm pretty sure it's really named battletoads
>>
Lee - Tue, 09 Jul 2019 14:33:19 EST byRgzBbN No.67931 Reply
>>67925

oh yes i remember that console command fondly. my biggest gripe with JA multiplayer was that all the DFA saber attacks were made into a one click macro instead of a skillfully executed technique that took weeks to perfect, also they were unblockable, dealing 100-300 damage as they flailed their sabers around. siege mode was super dope though
>>
Kiaphet Amman'sor - Mon, 15 Jul 2019 23:47:59 EST uMN3E2R4 No.67965 Reply
>>67374
We have to make memes out of the new Picard show so that the people making it feel like they've succeeded.
>>
Neelix - Tue, 16 Jul 2019 09:40:14 EST 7mPeJr4V No.67966 Reply
>>67965
You know half the pr budget already went to paid memes.
>>
Subcommander N'Vek - Tue, 16 Jul 2019 16:03:18 EST 0rZdI/eB No.67967 Reply
1563307398389.gif -(1194912B / 1.14MB, 400x196) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>67965
When does it even come out? I have removed myself entirely from star trek news, it just hurts too much
>>
Vosk - Fri, 19 Jul 2019 00:49:31 EST K0QwTGrn No.67977 Reply
>>67967
wow, just dawned on me that i neither know nor care when picard debuts. way to go, cbs!

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.