Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

Now Playing on /1701/tube -

why are the enterprise characters so boring

- Tue, 09 Jun 2020 00:59:37 EST df+df6D9 No.70347
File: 1591678777529.jpg -(178108B / 173.93KB, 752x685) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. why are the enterprise characters so boring
archer is basically sam beckett but in space because bakula is incapable of acting as any other character, t'pol is just sexy vulcan unga, trip was kinda neat because he was basically a redneck in space, reed... I don't know what reed did. Hoshi had that language did but I don't think they ever did anything with her, and mayweather might as well not existed at all. phlox was only interesting because he's a psychopath.

even the dog was boring
>>
Degra - Tue, 09 Jun 2020 06:11:10 EST kvhLikSb No.70350 Reply
1591697470829.jpg -(10224B / 9.98KB, 183x276) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
If you're watching Enterprise for the characters or plot you're just deluding yourself
>>
Latha Mabrin - Tue, 09 Jun 2020 19:09:30 EST df+df6D9 No.70353 Reply
>>70350
I mean I have no problem sucking archer's dick, but there's a time and place
>>
Corporal R Ryan - Sun, 14 Jun 2020 21:43:08 EST nldWS06A No.70388 Reply
It gets better. Hang on there, kitten. Last season is the best.
>>
Willie Hawkins - Tue, 16 Jun 2020 23:16:11 EST W7PCsrvo No.70411 Reply
>>70347
Archer's character was the moral compass, which he fit adequately.

T'Pol was supposed to be lady Spock, but the writers couldn't commit to her character.

Trip was the only fleshed out character with a consistent personality... probably because ENT is the most Amero-centrically written of the Trek series up to that date.

Reed had a couple of moments of characterization as a career military man from a generational family, but then the writers turned him into the "I suggest we attack" one line guy with occasional moments of competitive humanity with Trip.

Hoshi... she was space anxiety personified I guess?

Who was Mayweather again? I don't remember that character at all.
>>
Belongo - Thu, 18 Jun 2020 06:01:28 EST YJtmfrWg No.70420 Reply
>>70411
season two of TNG was amazing go shit and eat jenkm plabian
>>
Lwaxana Troi - Fri, 19 Jun 2020 07:40:43 EST kvhLikSb No.70425 Reply
>>70411
Mayweather had an episode or two about his working class space trucker family or something.

So I guess he's a representation of how you can grow up poor even when you live in space.
>>
DaiMon Tarr - Fri, 19 Jun 2020 21:25:40 EST 2PMvnQg3 No.70427 Reply
>>70425
I had to google "Mayweather Star Trek" because hes such a forgettable character I literally forgot who he was
>>
Simon Tarses - Sat, 20 Jun 2020 04:11:42 EST fFz/1NAl No.70428 Reply
>>70425
and so they made him black? lmao what a huge fuck up.

Mayweather could have had more done to him if they didn't axe the series. He had an interesting angle of having more space exp than most of the crew. It says that even in the beginning Humanity had become such a space faring civilization that even a commoner would routinely take up work in space, even life off world. He constantly shows his ability and knowledge on space navigating. Even capable of piloting xenos ships with little prep time.

Yet they basically made him the shuttle chauffeur.
>>
Kirayoshi O'Brien - Sat, 20 Jun 2020 09:18:01 EST BnrdIjvE No.70431 Reply
>>70428
He had skills but not much personality. I have no trouble remembering him because he was a great pilot but his personality is another issue. Describing him outside space and pilot is hard.

I know he was good at his job and eager to be there so it didn't create much room to chafe but surely they could have done something with him and how his rarified upbringing as a space hauler affected his perspective to provide contrast with most of the other characters. He could have offered more living in space advice early on or got pissed off by alien pirates or debating settling on a planet. He could have been baffled by the comfortable lives of other crew members or even suffered agrophobia. I think by the time they decided to focus on him the window to establish these traits had closed.
>>
DaiMon Bractor - Sat, 20 Jun 2020 12:19:12 EST jwjJ078M No.70433 Reply
>>70428
The actor they cast was also pretty shit and that didn't help.
>>
Furel - Sun, 21 Jun 2020 09:36:56 EST OoAY3Tf2 No.70440 Reply
>>70347
Archer was alright, Trip was pretty cool, T'Pol got interesting later on in the show and Phlox was great when he got any notable screen time. It says alot about Enterprise when Picard had a more interesting cast.

And fuck off, Porthos was adorable.
>>
Ensign Hogan - Fri, 26 Jun 2020 02:16:55 EST 91F/p5zE No.70463 Reply
Enterprise is the best in the franchise.
Characters actually change over time, imagine that. No bullshit like TNG where season 1 personalities are identical to season 7. For a show about the characters, TNG is an abject failure
>>
Weyoun 5 - Fri, 26 Jun 2020 07:28:19 EST BnrdIjvE No.70465 Reply
>>70463
Nah, see I think one of the things a lot of people miss about ENT is that it does have character development, what I really like is that the general state of the crew and ship is always a microcosm of the rest of the human race weathering adversary and finding it's feet in the galaxy at the same time. But then they usually are the spear tip of that.

Also TNG probably had the least obvious character development but it was there. There was less and it was subtle and over 7 years but it happened. I mean aside from shut up Mary Sue who was obvious. Many of the characters became more nuanced without losing their defining characterists. It wasn't really "about characters" though as much as using them to explore ideas. I think they had big plans for Pulaski and she had a defined and obvious arc but it only half finished because she got shitcanned when ginger MILF came back.

Voyager as with its quality was inconsistent. Some characters changed some seemed he same chumps 7 years later.

But if you want to grade the series by character development go to DS9 or go home. Considering its ensemble felt broader than most that they all also changed more says a lot.
>>
Charles Tucker III - Fri, 26 Jun 2020 20:51:45 EST jwjJ078M No.70468 Reply
>>70463
>For a show about the characters, TNG is an abject failure
TNG is not a show about the characters, it's a science fiction show about the high concept of the week where the characters exist just explore that concept. The episodes that forget this and go be a character drama are almost universally the worst ones too. What you're describing is something like ENT S3, nuBSG or the current nuTrek shows which are character drama pretending to be science fiction: that's not Trek and if you want a character drama (sometimes I do too) there are far better options available.
>>
Sarina Douglas - Sat, 10 Oct 2020 19:15:48 EST SVWvp03x No.70783 Reply
>>70388

Based.

Yeah, rules still apply, its after the 3rd season that all ST show mature.
>>
Chairman Koval - Sun, 11 Oct 2020 01:51:45 EST TTcXb8JG No.70785 Reply
>>70783
There's at least one Trek series that rule simply cannot apply to.
>>
Captain Rixx - Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:57:09 EST Aa5uWo0C No.70786 Reply
>>70785

You mean star trek the animated series, thats 2 seasons and it is all good. What is your point?
>>
G'Quan - Sun, 11 Oct 2020 08:30:15 EST 5SVJcPG+ No.70791 Reply
>>70786
>what is your point?
>rules still apply, its after the 3rd season that all ST shows mature
Point is that "rule" is false more times than true. We've got TAS, STD, PIC, and LD that never got 3 seasons or haven't yet and S3 of Ent is the Xindi. TOS only had 3 and the first two have some stellar episodes. That just leaves DS9, VOY, and TNG. Of those the only one with a huge difference between S1&2 vs 3+ is TNG which has some pretty obvious reasons for being like that. Mainly Piller coming on after S2 and putting together the team that wrote the bulk of the S3-7 episodes and the writers strike in 88.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.