Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Name
You can leave this blank to post anonymously, or you can create a Tripcode by using the format Name#Password
Comment
[i]Italic Text[/i]
[b]Bold Text[/b]
[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
>Highlight/Quote Text
[pre]Preformatted & Monospace Text[/pre]
[super]Superset Text[/super]
[sub]Subset Text[/sub]
1. Numbered lists become ordered lists
* Bulleted lists become unordered lists
File

Sandwich

I haven't read comics since 2011

- Sat, 10 Dec 2016 12:46:34 EST 6LkY9Uaj No.42810
File: 1481391994290.jpg -(213139B / 208.14KB, 1024x576) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size. I haven't read comics since 2011
Can you guys suggest some stuff for me to read? So far I've got a list made up off..

Injustice Gods Amongst Us
Spider-Verse and Superior Spider-Man
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Vision
Moon Knight by Jeff Lemire
Hawkeye
The Wicked + the Divine
and maybe Secret Wars, Civil War 2 and DC Rebirth

What else should I check out?
>>
Nathaniel Druttingfedging - Sat, 10 Dec 2016 16:49:49 EST VEuqFKdz No.42811 Reply
>>42810
Marvel's new Ultimates series
The Unworthy Thor is dank, but youll probably wanna read Original Sin first.
>>
Fucking Snodford - Sat, 10 Dec 2016 18:19:34 EST OOjubTde No.42813 Reply
1481411974397.jpg -(45449B / 44.38KB, 500x406) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>42811
This is a predy gud rec
Ultimates was 12 issues long and just got a #1 relaunch as Ultimates-squared. The guy doing it is great and is a relatively recent hire so has a manageable number of other comics, if you like it and want more of his stuff.
I'd advise looking over Thor: God of Thunder instead of Original Sin, though. It does what Unworthy does but better, great standalone read would shelve. Also the last issue covers Original Sin stuff anyway.
Also thank whoever recc'd you Vision, it's quite the experience. And you might wanna add the last Moon Knight series before Lemire to the list, or at least the first 'arc' by Warren Ellis. Each issue was its own super-stylish self-contained story. Haven't read Foes but everyone who has loves it. Everything else is a lot more divisive.

There's a ton else I wanna personally contribute but I can't think straight atm. What were you into just before dropping off? I see Wicked + Divine, ya read Gillen's Loki stuff (Journey into Mystery)? Interested in any more indies (not my forte but still)? Nu52 (it's "not-canon" anymore but had some fun runs)?
>>
Caroline Gundlefot - Sat, 10 Dec 2016 21:53:42 EST bwvJUgOE No.42816 Reply
1481424822192.jpg -(212816B / 207.83KB, 658x370) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>42810
Superior Foes sucks. So does Wicked + Divine. For Hawkeye, only read the Matt Fraction run, the other new Hawkeye books sucked.

Vision is the best shit in town. You also should read Secret Wars, then Ultimates. Captain America: Trapped In Dimension Z and Thor: The God Butcher are epic arcs to check out that require no context or backstory but have huge ramifications on the characters current lives. Maybe those are old now, though.

For indie books, read Black Science and Low by Rick Remender.
>>
David Gennerdadging - Sun, 11 Dec 2016 11:18:41 EST 1W2G2GM2 No.42821 Reply
>>42811
I'll check out Ultimates but I've never really liked Thor. Maybe I'll read Original Sin though.
>>42813
I'm a big fan of Warren Ellis so I'll check out his Moon Knight too.
Before I stopped collecting I mostly collected the Bat-books, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Wolverine. Scalped, Sweet Tooth, Chew.. stuff like that.

My favourite era of comics was the mid 80s to mid 90s and I stopped reading stuff after that for a long time. It wasn't until 2008 that I got back into comics and went back and read a lot of stuff I missed, but come 2011-12 I was priced out of comics so stopped reading recent stuff and went back to buying trades of stuff from the 80-90s. I've kinda exhausted that era now and don't live near any comic shops selling old stuff I haven't read so I wanna give some new stuff a go.

>>42816
I heard foes was really good, but I'll maybe try before I buy, same with Thor which seems to be getting recommended a lot. Black Science was on my list too

I'm a fan of Punisher and Hulk, what are the state of their books at the moment? I don't think I've read a Hulk comic I liked released post the 90s.
>>
William Sickleville - Sun, 11 Dec 2016 14:10:59 EST Mfvn8n0v No.42822 Reply
1481483459138.jpg -(448732B / 438.21KB, 600x780) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>42821
If you want the scoop on how Hulk is these days, read Civil War 2 and then the Uncanny Avengers tie in. That is the only good Hulk arc in years. Especially if you are a fan of the Hulk X Hawkeye bromance.
The main Hulk books are about teenage rip-off Hulks, skip that crap.

Punisher books suck these days, Garth Ennis spoiled that character for everyone else. Even Rick Remender couldn't write a good Punisher (he wrote the dreadful Franken-Castle about a zombie Punisher)

Thor sucked for decades and is only making a resurgence now due to writer Jason Aaron penning the books (writer of cult-classic comic Scalped and currently Southern Bastards). I never liked Thor either outside this run of books.

If you care about mutants, you can read Death Of X to get the gist on where the key players are these days (although you have to sit through a bunch of boring Inhumans shit, too)
>>
Nicholas Bravingture - Sun, 11 Dec 2016 15:15:11 EST VEuqFKdz No.42823 Reply
>>42811
Oh yeah, also read the new Moon Knight series. Only 9 issues deep, but its one of the best Moon Knight tales ever.

And i suppose read DC Rebirth, then find whatever new series for your favorite characters that Rebirth spawned. They dank. Been digging Aquaman.

Also DC has a new sorta "Vertigo-lite" imprint called Young Animal, has 4 ongoing titles under the banner so far. Headed by Gerard Way, but thankfully his comic writing skills far far FAR outshine his musical skills. Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye has been interesting, the new Doom Patrol is trippy and a bit confusing, Shade the Changing Girl is also good, haven't read Mother Panic yet.

And if you like the good Nova, Richard Rider has finally returned in the new Nova #1 that came out last Wednesday.
>>
Ebenezer Lightcocke - Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:49:42 EST OOjubTde No.42826 Reply
>>42821
I strongly advise giving the first 5-20 issues of God of Thunder a look. IMO it's good enough that you don't need to know or even like Thor to enjoy it. It was written by the same guy as Scalped if that's any consolation (as was Unworthy, and every Thor comic in-between).
Swamp Thing & Animal Man were the 2 New52 comics i was gonna suggest. If you stopped in 2012 I suggest finishing them, they stayed good. Especially Swamp Thing.
Punisher had a series just before Secret Wars that ended with him treating himself to a Middle-East vacation killing spree and has an ongoing series right now that Dillon was on God rest 'is soul. Hulk's been... eh. He was a SHIELD agent, then braindead, then super-smart & hunting the other Hulks, none of it got people talking. I'm enjoying the current Hulk series (feat. Cho, not Banner) since it's by Greg Pak but Pak's Hulk's pretty divisive IIRC. Jason Aaron did a wonderfully silly run just after Fear Itself if you haven't read it already.

Btw there's a storytime of Ellis' Moon Knight on /co/ right now, it'll be in the archive for about a week.
>>
Ebenezer Lightcocke - Mon, 12 Dec 2016 21:01:10 EST OOjubTde No.42827 Reply
1481594470910.jpg -(9567B / 9.34KB, 300x168) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>42826
5-10 issues of God of Thunder, should've proof-read
>>42822
>Thor sucked for decades
>JMS
>Gillen
>DeFalco
>Jurgens
>Oeming
>Rodi
>Ellis
>mah boi Fraction
Don't make me come over there!
>>
Sophie Bricklelit - Mon, 12 Dec 2016 22:43:19 EST cAbEEt+K No.42828 Reply
>>42827
I only know Gillen and Fractions runs well. They were both utter shit and should hang their heads in shame.
>>
Ebenezer Lightcocke - Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:58:48 EST OOjubTde No.42829 Reply
1481655528910.jpg -(131821B / 128.73KB, 561x852) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
More recs off the top of my head.
>X-Men Legacy (2012, 24 issues) - Xavier's insane OP son gets a solo ongoing. Best X-Men story of the past 5 years. So good it's the basis for Fox's first X-Men TV show next year, Legion. Caution: Might ruin conventional X-Men comics for you, but being an X-fag these days is suffering so win-win.
>Ms Marvel (2014-ongoing, about 30 issues) - latest teen hero (since the prior Ms Marvel got promoted), probably Marvel's most successful new character this decade. It sets off a few Tumblry warning bells at a first glance but is genuinely well-written with likable characters and whimsical art. May go to shit when her creator's no longer in charge so get it while it's good.
>Civil War II: Kingpin (2016, 4 issues) - I don't give a shit about street level. This gripped me by the balls throughout. It's getting an ongoing by the same creative team next year.

Not really into indies (Saga's popular) but super-stylish ones catch my eye.
>ODY-C - ongoing by Image. Homer`s Odyssey IIIIN SPAAAAAACE. Gorgeous trippy art. Unorthodox narrative style. Occasionally lewd. Issues 6 & 12 of Ultimates are by the same artist so there`s a preview for you.
>Sabertooth Swordsman - miniseries by Dark Horse (with extra material in DH anthologies). Wacky af. Imagination on overdrive. Best black & white comic I`ve ever read, first time I`ve forked out for the TPB.
>Luther Strode - 3 miniseries by Image, The Strange Talent of, The Legend of, The Legacy of. I don't know how to describe it in a way that does it justice beyond "fucking awesome". Look up All-New Ghost Rider, read the first 5 issues if you can. It's like that, but gorier.

Honorable mentions:
>Uncanny Avengers (2012, 25 issues) - A+X team, gets pretty cosmic with Apocalypse and Kang and Celestials and shit. By Rick Remender, the Black Science guy.
>Deadpool (2012-ongoing, about 60 issues) - not as lolsorandumb as you'd expect, balances humour & violence with soul-crippling depression like the good old days.
>Black Panther (2016-ongoing, 9 issues) - it`s written by some award winning novelist and takes a very literate, philosophical, sociopolitical approach to the character & lore. Widely dislike tbh but hey, it`s different.
>Loki Agent of Asgard (2014, 18 issues) - only here because you said you're not into Thor, so might not've read the comics that lead into it. Would be strongly recc'd otherwise. Does great stuff with metatext and continuity.
Silver Surfer (2014-ongoing, about 20 issues) - only here in case you're a big Mike Allred fan.
There were some fun Secret Wars minis but they're all so short & self-contained that maybe they're not worth the bother.

>>42828
I've never heard a a bad word about Gillen's. What's your problem with it exactly? Granted he's mainly remembered for JiM but his actual Thor stories (Mephisto, Doom, Siege tie-in) were pretty fuckin' sweet.
I'd appreciate elaboration of Fraction too, a lot of people hate it and I don't get why. Shit was hype. Most coherent critique I've seen is that he wasn't great with Ye Olde prose.
>>
Sophie Bricklelit - Tue, 13 Dec 2016 16:30:25 EST cAbEEt+K No.42831 Reply
>>42829
I just judge on if a story entertains me. Fraction's Thor failed to convey the epic for me and I was always bored reading. Same for Gillen. I've enjoyed other Fraction books (Hawkeye, Sex Criminals) but I've hated every Gillen book I've tried and now just avoid the guy. I'm glad Marvel phased him out of their regular writers rotation.
>>
Fuck Fumbleway - Wed, 14 Dec 2016 08:53:40 EST OOjubTde No.42834 Reply
1481723620525.jpg -(2644352B / 2.52MB, 3975x3056) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>42831
>Fraction's Thor failed to convey the epic for me
nigga HOW
>>
John Tootfuck - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 08:25:03 EST cAbEEt+K No.42836 Reply
>>42834
Fraction doesn't get credit for good art, he ain't a damn painter. The pretty pictures were the only thing that kept me flipping pages during his run.
>>
Phineas Divingfoot - Thu, 15 Dec 2016 08:51:19 EST OOjubTde No.42837 Reply
>>42836
And the concepts driving the pretty pictures were his.
>>
Beatrice Mettingdale - Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:09:01 EST cAbEEt+K No.42838 Reply
>>42837
And I was bored by the stories. Even if the concepts were cool and I missed it, the execution failed to entertain me. Why are you taking it so personally? Are you Matt Fraction? If so, I have a laundry list of grievances to air, starting with the delays in Sex Criminals releases.
>>
Caroline Gockleridge - Thu, 19 Sep 2019 14:57:16 EST tkm5lfon No.44140 Reply
1568919436145.jpg -(620058B / 605.53KB, 1041x1600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
>>44139
I loved this little bit from this week's issue of Forever Evil: Lex Luthor. Lex being btfo by his Earth-47 counterpart.
>>
Esther Sinkinpug - Fri, 20 Sep 2019 05:29:31 EST SSDM/I5i No.44142 Reply
>>44139
I agreed with the article until
>The only encouraging sign here is the fact that Superman's latest identity leak is being handled by writer Brian Michael Bendis
Is this nigga smoking crack? Bendis practically invented the temporary status quo shift.
>>
Polly Publingshit - Sun, 20 Oct 2019 01:36:26 EST 2A6ROJSI No.44165 Reply
>>44143

Capes are ded. I want stories about things I can't even imagine made real and important.

Periodicals are ded. Alan Moore was about 40 years ahead of his time, or rather, developed and made his time for everyone else to waste.
>>
James Govingmark - Sat, 09 Nov 2019 16:27:08 EST jNMqUSC0 No.44177 Reply
I bought an issue of Alterna Comics "It Came Out On A Wednesday" for 1.99USD and it hasn't let me down yet.

Reason
Note
Please be descriptive with report notes,
this helps staff resolve issues quicker.